HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The 8 years certainly does.
...no, it really doesnt

Malkin will get quite literally whatever he wants, whether he gets it from Pittsburgh or otherwise

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
The 8 years certainly does.
You would expect Malkin to sign for less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
That's a pretty decent overpay by the Ducks. I was expecting 6.75-7 on an 8 year deal
On what planet!? Getzlaf knew he could get at least $8.25 on the open market.

Edit: I mean the 6.75-7M mark.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Wow. Whoever wants to get Corey Perry if he doesn't re-sign will definitely need to trade for his rights. If he hits the open market, the bidding should easily hit $9 mil AAV.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
TSA0402

He has almost 30 points in 22 games, has alot of accolades, a genuine #1 center, no cap circumvention ********. Are people really saying 6 million? lol!

Why is this so surprising? He isn't signed until he is 52 years old.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
$8.25m is equal to Eric Staal's, puts him at 4th highest in the NHL.
Wow...

Getzlaf is great and all, but to think he's 4th highest paid...

We'll hear critics for under performing by next year I'm assuming. That's a lot of dough.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Geno will have a blank check but he'll do the samething he did last time. Sign for 8.7 because he feels he shouldn't make more then Sid.
I highly doubt. Geno will probably sign for at least 9 million. He can command a bigger contract once he hits the UFA.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Damn it..

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
...no, it really doesnt

Malkin will get quite literally whatever he wants, whether he gets it from Pittsburgh or otherwise
As the first mega contract since the lockout, it has set the going rate. We all know Malkin is going to blow up that current rate but the dollar value combined with term, just went up.

For instance, if he had signed for 7 years 7 million, Malkin's asking price wouldve been somewhere around what Getzlaf actually received. Now, he's going to blow that number up further.

My two cents at least. Maybe Im wrong

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Yikes. Pretty hefty overpayment, in my opinion. He won't be scoring at his current clip forever.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petes2424

Hey, at least he's not 127th in scoring and 50th in center scoring making $6.6 million per.

Old
MMonarchs

Right now it's a slight overpayment. In a few years, not so much.

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
fifthcartel

Bad contract, Getzlaf's hair is deteriorating and that could be a sign of things to come regarding his play.

fifthcartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
McTank

A lot of money, especially considering his year last season

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:42 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Quote:
As the first mega contract since the lockout, it has set the going rate. We all know Malkin is going to blow up that current rate but the dollar value combined with term, just went up.

For instance, if he had signed for 7 years 7 million, Malkin's asking price wouldve been somewhere around what Getzlaf actually received. Now, he's going to blow that number up further.

My two cents at least. Maybe Im wrong
What you are underestimating is the demand for Malkin. It transcends any concept of 'setting the market.' Guaranteed at least one team out there would give him the league max over the maximum term with a permanent NMC if thats what he decides he wants.

Malkin is on a level so high that his value as a pending UFA is what he says it is. Getzlaf is not. This is why pointing to the Malkin/Crosby contracts as some kind of decent comparable is flawed at the core

Old
03-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Tripod

People need to relax about paying a star player his $. 2nd liners like Grabovski...who have averaged 50 points are getting over 5 mill. He AVERAGES over 82 points. And that is with last years bad year included. That average is top 5 in points from last year.

Anahiem will just try and shave off $ from the 4rd and 4th liners to make it up. Or let one of the kids on an ELC play.

Funny that most of the people *****ing are fans of teams that wanted him. "but not for that $" they say. Yeah right. If Toronto could have added him for free as a UFA at that salary...and in return...trade off Liles, Kumelin and Bozak....you think they do it???

and FYI....Just using TO as an example...other teams are in same situation

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
That chart is flawed. It doesn't take into account the caliber of said players. A lot of average players peak offensively at age 26, 27. They end up playing only 4-5 years in the NHL.

Get me a list showing players with 3 70+ point seasons or more and their career production, and then maybe I'll buy into it.
It's much the same, chart or no chart.

Having played with hockey cards as a kid--always the stat side up--making imaginary teams, I have an innate sense of understanding production trends for players and groups they compare to. I wish Duck fans the best, not sure what the alternative would have been, but if they get 4 years of decent points-per-bucks out of this, they can count their blessings.

Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
In general, nearly all long-term deals are bad for clubs. We know something of this in Van, though I think it can be justified for D men and goalies given the reactive nature of their positions. Forwards must be proactive. Odds are Getzlaf's production will be mid-range not long from know.

I suspect the drop-off trend is even more pronounced for big men.
At the steepest slope (from datapoints 27years to 28years) the change per year is 4.8 percent. That's your global inflation, so no change in "cost per point" in that year, all other years it's only plus.

Now, if you look at the salary cap changes in last eight years it has changed from 40 to 60 million. So 1.5 times the 2005 salary cap. That's over 5 percent change per year. So even at the steepest production slope of the chart in your post the salary cap rises and the value of money goes down so fast that the actual cost per point goes down. And the new star player signings look as they were around 15% overpayments since we always compare the new signings to the old ones.

8 years from this day it will seem to us like Getz would be getting 5.5 million (of course still getting the 8.25 but new signings will be around 12.75 million for players of Getzlaf's calibre) and still producing at a PPG rate. The Ducks will be the ones to laugh then.

It's just like thinking "$2! Oh what an overpayment, this coffee cost only fifty cents back in 90's" which in principle is the truth, but the 50 cents is the $2 of today and that shows in your salary too.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
What you are underestimating is the demand for Malkin. It transcends any concept of 'setting the market.' Guaranteed at least one team out there would give him the league max over the maximum term with a permanent NMC if thats what he decides he wants.

Malkin is on a level so high that his value as a pending UFA is what he says it is. Getzlaf is not. This is why pointing to the Malkin/Crosby contracts as some kind of decent comparable is flawed at the core
No, I agree with that. I just fully expect him to re-sign in Pittsburgh. That's the angle Im looking at. On the open market, he'd surely get maxed by someone.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, I agree with that. I just fully expect him to re-sign in Pittsburgh. That's the angle Im looking at. On the open market, he'd surely get maxed by someone.
Crosby signed a 12 yr/104 mil contract last year. Malkin will be signing for around the same.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
People need to relax about paying a star player his $. 2nd liners like Grabovski...who have averaged 50 points are getting over 5 mill. He AVERAGES over 82 points. And that is with last years bad year included. That average is top 5 in points from last year.

Anahiem will just try and shave off $ from the 4rd and 4th liners to make it up. Or let one of the kids on an ELC play.

Funny that most of the people *****ing are fans of teams that wanted him. "but not for that $" they say. Yeah right. If Toronto could have added him for free as a UFA at that salary...and in return...trade off Liles, Kumelin and Bozak....you think they do it???

and FYI....Just using TO as an example...other teams are in same situation
What the new CBA SHOULD do, is also lower the cap hit of the 3rd and 4th liners to offset deals for star players, such as Getzlaf, Perry, etc.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Crosby signed a 12 yr/104 mil contract last year. Malkin will be signing for around the same.
So, you're expecting an 8 year 104 million dollar contract?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Now if he could just get his hair extended.
With that kinda dough, he can get some hair implants.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Obviously not, but I meant around the same basis of the Crosby one. I'd say 8 yr/8.75 AV

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
If thats legal and hes willing to leave Pittsburgh to get it?

sure

But its pretty obvious that Malkin will resign with the pens for 8 years around 8.7

Old
03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Geno will have a blank check but he'll do the samething he did last time. Sign for 8.7 because he feels he shouldn't make more then Sid.
Crosby isn't earning $8.7M per year over the first 8 years of his deal though, he's earning well over $10M per year on average. Cap hit may matter to some teams but for players I would think the yearly salary is much more important.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote