HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 02:13 AM
  #51
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Do you not see the logical disconnect involved to actually believe viewing child porn doesn't harm people? It harms children immensely! If perverts weren't watching and downloading child porn, there'd be no market, thus no production. Flanagan was totally off the reservation - a reference I'm sure he'd love - and his comments are extremely offensive.

I'm still totally blown away that anyone would even consider this a logical argument. The production of child porn involves the sexual abuse of children. Someone taking personal satisfaction in viewing it is a party to the sexual abuse of children, not even accounting for the immense long-term mental damage caused to the children forced to participate in it. How is this not registering?
I suppose the argument could be made that issues of consent are avoided in older children where consent may have been given. There are still a couple of matters that bother me though.

1) Generally victims of child pornography are not older teenagers, but actual children who could not in any legal, or realistic sense, give any meaningful form of support. Furthermore, the effects of child abuse are well documented and in cases where the effects are more public (such as pornography) I would imagine that they are even more pronounced.

2) As has already been said, allowing people to view images of child pornography only creates a market for that. Sure we could ban the production of such materials and go after the producers while leaving the people who simply view it alone, but that isn't going to cut down on production. Both the supply and the demand side need to be banned. The effects are too serious to simply allow the market to exist while simply going after producers. I also suspect that those who take interest in images or videos of child pornography are generally not of the mentally sound variety. I would also harbor some concern that people who take pleasure in such activities may stop being satisfied merely by viewing such materials and move on to participation, thus making the problem even bigger.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 02:21 AM
  #52
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Based on my limited knowledge, it seems like the racial motivations of the Federal Tories, mixed with the tax dollars for party purposes schemes of the Federal Liberals, mixed with the incompetence and setting of the BC Socreds. A recipe for disaster.

Do we set the BC Liberal Over/Under at 2 seats?
Well over. The NDP/Greens aren't winning any of the interior seats and its not like the BC Conservatives are exactly a well-oiled machine at this point.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 03:12 AM
  #53
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Well over. The NDP/Greens aren't winning any of the interior seats and its not like the BC Conservatives are exactly a well-oiled machine at this point.
The NDP is leading in the interior; I supposed they can't sweep it though, that'd make no sense. Where the Liberals seem to have the most strength in these polls is the Vancouver Metro area, I cannot imagine that is going to last very long.

http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/b...-columbia.html

As of this posting, these numbers were calculated before the scandal.

Concordski is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #54
rebel diamond
Registered User
 
rebel diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 500
This "scandal" is a tempest in a teapot. Anyone who doesn't think that political operatives of every major party think in the same terms is just being naive; the big mistake the Liberals made is letting it get out. I mean, sure it looks and sounds really bad, but compared to some of the other things both major parties have been caught doing over the last several electoral cycles this is small potatoes. If the Liberal Party wasn't already in the tank, and half the party and three quarters of the province didn't hate Christy, something like this would blow over in no time.

As for the question of are the Liberals done, yes the BC Liberal party as we know it is done, and probably died with Campbell's resignation. The collapse of a centre-right big tent coalition is a film the province has seen before, and we know how it ends. It's a natural result of a province with a large "centrist" voting block that bandwagons to electoral routs. The Liberal probably will hang around, but will not enjoy the same support among the "reform-style conservatives" as they did for most of the last decade. I can only hope that the result is a true three or four party system.

rebel diamond is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
  #55
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
This "scandal" is a tempest in a teapot. Anyone who doesn't think that political operatives of every major party think in the same terms is just being naive; the big mistake the Liberals made is letting it get out. I mean, sure it looks and sounds really bad, but compared to some of the other things both major parties have been caught doing over the last several electoral cycles this is small potatoes. If the Liberal Party wasn't already in the tank, and half the party and three quarters of the province didn't hate Christy, something like this would blow over in no time.

As for the question of are the Liberals done, yes the BC Liberal party as we know it is done, and probably died with Campbell's resignation. The collapse of a centre-right big tent coalition is a film the province has seen before, and we know how it ends. It's a natural result of a province with a large "centrist" voting block that bandwagons to electoral routs. The Liberal probably will hang around, but will not enjoy the same support among the "reform-style conservatives" as they did for most of the last decade. I can only hope that the result is a true three or four party system.
I think we will see a similar coalition to the Liberals/So-Creds. Possibly even under the Conservative banner (although it is unlikely).

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
  #56
rebel diamond
Registered User
 
rebel diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think we will see a similar coalition to the Liberals/So-Creds. Possibly even under the Conservative banner (although it is unlikely).
Yep, very possible. I've seen people hashing out different options and I think it boils down to there being 3 different scenarios, each with different possible results.

- The Liberals score a miracle comeback, secure another government, and most Conservatives come crawling back into the fold. It's not totally impossible, since once the campaign really gets going Dix and co. have plenty of skeletons in their closet that can be dragged out, but at this point its very unlikely.
- The Liberals take heavy hits, but comfortably remain the official opposition (20-30 seat range). The Conservatives poll in the 10% range, maybe winning one or two seats, essentially becoming the Greens of the right.
- The Liberals lose badly and totally implode, possibly even ceding official opposition status to the Conservatives.

Unless the first scenario happens, you have to think its the end of the cooperation between the different factions on the right. At that point, either the Conservative party picks up enough disenchanted Liberals to become a major party or someone has to start over under a new banner to try and build up a new party from the ashes. I've seen some commentators speculating that in the wake of the Liberals breaking up the time might be ripe for a "centre-populist" party like those that have come to dominate municipal politics over the last little while (Vision BC?), that would reject the pro-union stance of the NDP without swinging too far right.

rebel diamond is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:00 PM
  #57
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03...itish-columbia

More fun for the BC Liberals. Best way to avoid FOI requests? Just don't keep records.

Concordski is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
  #58
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03...itish-columbia

More fun for the BC Liberals. Best way to avoid FOI requests? Just don't keep records.
Christy Clark is a real tool. Really makes you appreciate everything that Gordon Campbell did for this province.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
  #59
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Christy Clark is a real tool. Really makes you appreciate everything that Gordon Campbell did for this province.
In parliamentary politics, it's really difficult to separate a premier/PM from their predecessor if they are in the same party or the same coalition. Gordon Campbell may have been a way better manager than Christy Clark (The economic figures speak for themselves), but the BC Liberals didn't just completely turn with a change of leadership.

Concordski is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 06:23 AM
  #60
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500


The Next Prime Minister?


This is literally the Huff Post main headline right now, the size of an actual newspaper. Are they in the tank or what? lol

Seanconn* is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 08:39 AM
  #61
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,678
vCash: 500
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03...udget-secrecy/

Quote:
The Conservative government has eroded the “integrity and credibility” of federal budgets through a system of secrecy that keeps parliamentarians and Canadians in the dark about how their money is spent, say two senior former officials in the finance department.

In a biting critique of the government to be published in Inside Policy magazine, former bureaucrats Scott Clark and Peter DeVries outline a troubling pattern of actions taken by the governing Conservatives since they took office several years ago.

They blast Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government for keeping internal budget records secret, for designing a system that means MPs don’t know what they are approving when they vote on billions in spending, for engaging in a useless war with the parliamentary budget officer, and for acting disgracefully through its omnibus budget bills.

Transplanted Caper is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
  #62
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,486
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03...itish-columbia

More fun for the BC Liberals. Best way to avoid FOI requests? Just don't keep records.
No, no, you simply don't get it! Christy is just bringing back the long-lost art of face-to-face communication.

..where nobody writes anything down. Ever. Or she will cut you.

Free Torts is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
  #63
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
In parliamentary politics, it's really difficult to separate a premier/PM from their predecessor if they are in the same party or the same coalition. Gordon Campbell may have been a way better manager than Christy Clark (The economic figures speak for themselves), but the BC Liberals didn't just completely turn with a change of leadership.
It was the HST that did the Liberals in, they didn't do a very good job of handling that and Vander Zalm really raked them over the coals with it. Campbell may have ruined any chance that he had of winning re-election, but a competent Premier should have been able to win this election over the hated NDP. It would not be the first time a change in leadership ruined a party. The change from the competent Bennett to the incompetent Vander Zalm ruined the SoCreds, even if he did win the election (but like I said the NDP is hated and the public never actually wants them to govern in this province).

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 AM
  #64
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
http://theagenda.tvo.org/blog/agenda...ep-down-summer

What is this? I don't...

Concordski is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 05:31 AM
  #65
Puck
Ninja
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 8,960
vCash: 500
If Harper stepped down now, news would be filled with stories about a possible dire untold health problem because the action would not fit the man. This story is a 'what if scenario' straight out of Paikin's imagination (maybe the Pope gave him the idea), not a piece written about 'whispers' because there is hardly a serious heavyweight contender in the CPC to take him on as replacement at this point. And the Emperor currently seems to have complete control over his political alliance. He is too old to start a new career in hockey (his only other passion other than politics). The numbers just don't add up for Paikin on this one. I'm sure Paikin enjoyed writing it though, as much as I enjoyed reading it

Puck is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 07:16 AM
  #66
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I really don't see Overlord Harper calling it quits anytime soon. The dude is not done messing up the country.

beowulf is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
  #67
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I really don't see Overlord Harper calling it quits anytime soon. The dude is not done messing up the country.
By that you mean not bringing Canada to its full potential. I am proud that Harper is turning Canada into a great nation. This new Canada will make the Canada of Trudeau of his ilk a distant memory.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 09:12 AM
  #68
bombers15
Registered User
 
bombers15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
By that you mean not bringing Canada to its full potential. I am proud that Harper is turning Canada into a great nation. This new Canada will make the Canada of Trudeau of his ilk a distant memory.
How exactly has Harper made us great?

Our international reputation is in absolute shambles, the deficit is at its highest level in the country's history, our social programs are weakened, environmental regulations have been stripped, and the centre of power has been undemocratically shifted more and more to the PMO.

Greatness. I just don't see it. Outside of Israel, no country thinks we're doing anything great.


Edit - Oh, and our development program. An absolute disgrace now.

But hey, our mining companies are bringing in record profits. Woot woot.


Last edited by bombers15: 03-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
bombers15 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
  #69
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
More on ACTA:

USTR To Canada: 'Bow Down And Accept ACTA!' Canada: 'Yes, We Shall Do Your Bidding'
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-bidding.shtml

US Trade Office Calls ACTA Back From the Dead and Canada Complies
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...anada-complies

Looks like the 'grassroots' party for little people is showing its corporate fangs. And even more than a slight disdain for libertarian ideals...not sure but I think even a Liberal Party in power might try to pull this fast one too, so I'm not sure how badly they will diss this. They might for the fun. This is one of those times when we really need conservatives to step up to speak to their party, the govt. won't listen to anyone else.
Lol.

This is such a ****ing disaster....

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  #70
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,678
vCash: 500
While there have been no real rumours at all of PMSH leaving, we could see a fairly big Cabinet shuffle this summer as the government gears up for 2015. Lots of rumours that Flaherty is ready to pack it in, and of course there's always rumours that Vic Toews is going to pack it in.

Transplanted Caper is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  #71
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
How exactly has Harper made us great?

Our international reputation is in absolute shambles, the deficit is at its highest level in the country's history, our social programs are weakened, environmental regulations have been stripped, and the centre of power has been undemocratically shifted more and more to the PMO.

Greatness. I just don't see it. Outside of Israel, no country thinks we're doing anything great.


Edit - Oh, and our development program. An absolute disgrace now.

But hey, our mining companies are bringing in record profits. Woot woot.
Harper has seen our country through tough economic times and made our country one of the healthiest countries economically in the world.

He has been a strong fiscal manager in tough economic times as well. The debt to GDP ration is the lowest of the G8 countries!

Also, sometimes when you stand on principle as Harper has done, other countries will dislike you for it. Sometimes you need to be that brave trailblazer, that fighter for good no matter what the other countries think of you.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  #72
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Harper has seen our country through tough economic times and made our country one of the healthiest countries economically in the world.

He has been a strong fiscal manager in tough economic times as well. The debt to GDP ration is the lowest of the G8 countries!

Also, sometimes when you stand on principle as Harper has done, other countries will dislike you for it. Sometimes you need to be that brave trailblazer, that fighter for good no matter what the other countries think of you.
How did he do these things? What did Harper have to "stand on principle" against?

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
  #73
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
How did he do these things? What did Harper have to "stand on principle" against?
The constant rubbish condemnations of Israel for one.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  #74
bombers15
Registered User
 
bombers15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Harper has seen our country through tough economic times and made our country one of the healthiest countries economically in the world.

He has been a strong fiscal manager in tough economic times as well. The debt to GDP ration is the lowest of the G8 countries!

Also, sometimes when you stand on principle as Harper has done, other countries will dislike you for it. Sometimes you need to be that brave trailblazer, that fighter for good no matter what the other countries think of you.
First of all, this sounds like a press release from the PMO.

Second of all, Canada is doing okay financially despite Harper, not because of him. Our bank regulations helped (which he voted against as an MP), as did our natural resources. He can't really be credited for any of this. Actually, he can't really be credited with doing anything that made any financial good sense. He hasn't done anything of value no matter how many times the CPC says "good fiscal manager".

Thirdly, the principles thing? Really? It's such a sad argument. "Well, everyone hates us only because we're doing the right thing." Right. This government is just so moral, pure and just that every other country loathes us for it. That must be it.

bombers15 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:12 PM
  #75
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
By that you mean not bringing Canada to its full potential. I am proud that Harper is turning Canada into a great nation. This new Canada will make the Canada of Trudeau of his ilk a distant memory.
I agree, when I came to Canada it was just a 'meh' nation. Now is a great nation, thanks to Harper.

The Moose is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.