HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Management

Old
03-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Terrible idea. Try thinking outside the box - there's certainly got to be better, smarter, and younger options than the old blow hard.

In case so many of you have apparently forgotten, Toronto missed the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR that Burke was there.
Fair enough; but lets not forget that the Leafs are playoff bound this season and look decent. Leafs tried a different rebuild that didn't include tnt. Looks like its working.

Thinking outside the box.. Is that not how I'm thinking? Hiring Krueger was thinking outside the box. Hiring Tambi in this organization was thinking 'outside' the box as well. Define "thinking outside the box". I would say firing Lowe/Tambi/Krueger/Bucky and hiring Burke/Ruff.. and what not IS thinking 'outside' the box. What would you do differently..

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Fair enough; but lets not forget that the Leafs are playoff bound this season and look decent. Leafs tried a different rebuild that didn't include tnt. Looks like its working.

Thinking outside the box.. Is that not how I'm thinking? Hiring Krueger was thinking outside the box. Hiring Tambi in this organization was thinking 'outside' the box as well. Define "thinking outside the box". I would say firing Lowe/Tambi/Krueger/Bucky and hiring Burke/Ruff.. and what not is thinking 'outside' the box. What would you do differently..
Lets give it time. Florida and Colorado thought their rebuilds were done too.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lets give it time. Florida and Colorado thought their rebuilds were done too.
I was that exact fan. Patient and waiting for mngment to add the right pcs in. That has yet to happen. I pegged them to finish between 10-12 and play with emotion and be that offensive type team we started to see late last season. Now they're one point back of last in the West! I see this team and system worse than last season and that scares me. At least Renney had an excuse with all the injuries to finish as low in the standings.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Terrible idea. Try thinking outside the box - there's certainly got to be better, smarter, and younger options than the old blow hard.

In case so many of you have apparently forgotten, Toronto missed the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR that Burke was there.
but you neglect to mention that the same leaf team is doing quite well this year, and burke is the one who built it.
I'm not a fan of his, but you do have to give credit where it is due.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I was that exact fan. Patient and waiting for mngment to add the right pcs in. That has yet to happen. I pegged them to finish between 10-12 and play with emotion and be that offensive type team we started to see late last season. Now they're one point back of last in the West! I see this team and system worse than last season and that scares me. At least Renney had an excuse with all the injuries to finish as low in the standings.
I was more referring to the people that are praising Toronto and Montreal for that matter. Montreal especially thinks they are done and a contender going forward.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
but you neglect to mention that the same leaf team is doing quite well this year, and burke is the one who built it.
I'm not sure I'm going to credit Burke with the Leafs incredible luck so far. They're rolling some hot dice now, but they looked good last year too and then the bottom fell out.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Burke is the type of GM to push a team - who has pieces in place - over the top. Like he did in Anaheim, they had prospects and a good core, he pushed them over the top. He's not a rebuilder, he's a re-tooler. He would be perfect for this team.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Burke is the type of GM to push a team - who has pieces in place - over the top. Like he did in Anaheim, they had prospects and a good core, he pushed them over the top. He's not a rebuilder, he's a re-tooler. He would be perfect for this team.
Agreed. But really, anybody by Tamblowe and the ole boy's club.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
He also pushed Anaheim back down. Just saying.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He also pushed Anaheim back down. Just saying.
Did they win?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
What credit is due?

a) the leafs hasn't made the playoffs yet. the season is not over.
b) even assuming the leafs do make the playoffs, that's one year in five, and only AFTER he's been fired. for all you know, he could have made a move (i.e. trade for luongo) that could have derailed the playoffs and that's why he was fired this year.
c) the leafs are the only team in the league post 2004 lockout to have failed to qualify for the playoffs every single year.

Let that last one sink in. You want to hire this guy?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Did they win?
Yes they did. And they haven't done jack since.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Yes they did. And they haven't done jack since.
I'll take a cup over anything.

They're also a top team this year with most o his core still around and they're usually a playoff contender, aside from the last couple of years.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Moose Coleman

The GM who should rightfully receive credit for Anaheim's Cup win is Kevin Lowe.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I'll take a cup over anything.

They're also a top team this year with most o his core still around and they're usually a playoff contender, aside from the last couple of years.
I would too but I would hope we could remain competitive rather than just be one and done with Cups and one and done in the playoffs (if they make it there)

One of Burke's biggest mistakes in Anaheim was trading Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney.

Old
Master Lok

Quote:
Thinking outside the box.. Is that not how I'm thinking? Hiring Krueger was thinking outside the box. Hiring Tambi in this organization was thinking 'outside' the box as well. Define "thinking outside the box". I would say firing Lowe/Tambi/Krueger/Bucky and hiring Burke/Ruff.. and what not IS thinking 'outside' the box. What would you do differently..
Hiring an old has-been is not thinking outside the box. He's been everywhere, and imo is like hiring Pat Quinn to coach again.

I suggested earlier in this thread - fire Lowe, fire Tambellini. Keep MacT. Add Ray Ferraro, Scott Howson, and an experienced guy like Brian Lawton or Neil Smith etc.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The GM who should rightfully receive credit for Anaheim's Cup win is Kevin Lowe.
I would bet that most teams in the NHL were gunning for Pronger when he became available. Burke was the one who got him, Lowe didn't do him a favor, simple as that.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I would too but I would hope we could remain competitive rather than just be one and done with Cups and one and done in the playoffs (if they make it there)

One of Burke's biggest mistakes in Anaheim was trading Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney.
Agreed. That was an awful trade in hindsight.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Mickelsnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
touche

Mickelsnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I would bet that most teams in the NHL were gunning for Pronger when he became available. Burke was the one who got him, Lowe didn't do him a favor, simple as that.
If I remember right, a number of teams didn't even know he was available.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Agreed. That was an awful trade in hindsight.
I think we can all agree that we wish Tambo was more proactive, but there is a such thing as being too proactive.

For every good trade Burke makes (JVR for Schenn, Gardiner for Beauchiman although that's levelling out), he makes a dumb one (the one I just mentioned, the Kessel trade although the jury is still out)

Old
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I think we can all agree that we wish Tambo was more proactive, but there is a such thing as being too proactive.

For every good trade Burke makes (JVR for Schenn, Gardiner for Beauchiman although that's levelling out), he makes a dumb one (the one I just mentioned, the Kessel trade although the jury is still out)
That's fair. Something in between Burke and Tambo would be perfect.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
That's fair. Something in between Burke and Tambo would be perfect.
Agreed. Hopefully we'll find someone like that.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I'm afraid it's mandate from Lowe or Tambo or Katz setting up a Krueger firing and only a Krueger firing.
I think you're underestimating the importance the team puts on having good PR with the fans. I think it's a lot like what happens with the government and the people; even if they don't care about us or what we think they at least have to act like they do.

I based this belief of mine in a prediction I made after the Oilers fired Renney. I'm sticking to it for now. It went as follows: Krueger is the last coach Tambo will be hiring for us. If fan confidence hits rock bottom again, as it seems to have right now, then we will see a change at GM. Whether or not the new GM keeps Krueger is his decision, but I think he'll give him at least another year. As for the GM spot, a few thought Lowe would take over, but I disagree. Lowe has got the perfect job right now -- all the power he wants but none of the public scrutiny -- why would he give that up? No, they tipped their hands when MacT brought back into the fold. He will be the next GM of this team, and then he and Lowe will assume a very similar relationship that Lowe has with Tambo now, where MacT handles the mundane, day to day affairs but Lowe having the final say on anything significant.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I dunno; I get the impression that we're still re-building.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote