HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

NFL offseason News & Notes Thread (FA Frenzy 2k13)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
Aww yea! Welker baby!

Old
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I wonder who the Niners get to replace him. He wasn't great in coverage, but he was a thumper.
Goldson was pretty key for the 49ers. He was left in single high coverage for the most part and handled it really well. Especially considering he wasn't know to be a good cover player. He's developed his ability in coverage really well, while still maintaining an elite run stopping presence.

I think the Niners trade up for a Vaccaro, replacing the role Goldson did for the Niners will be pretty key. Whitner is pretty terrible in coverage, and I believe they have CJ Spillman in line next at S, but I'm not sure you want to put that much responsibility to a rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Exactly what the Eagles need.
I'm going to guess he'll be in Cleveland. 2nd most cap space, plus no one to pair with Ward. Goldson will get his 4 year deal with 8-8.5M/yr which he's looking for from the Browns

03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1280612

Two or three “legitimate buyers” are prepared to make a trade for perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis when free agency and the trading period begin on March 12, the Daily News has learned.
The NFC champion 49ers, who will have 12 tradeable picks in next month’s draft and a glaring need for a top cornerback, are interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later, according to sources. The Falcons, who lost to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game, are also considered a team that could emerge as a player in the Revis sweepstakes.

03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Patriots free-agent WR Wes Welker has no plans to re-sign with New England before first testing the free-agent market next week.
I'm fine with that. I'm not big on bringing Welker back, assuming they can bring in some quality WRs.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Folks who know Idzik believe he'll be measured and won't rush into dealing Revis. Revis' camp is more motivated to push this to conclusion.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Talking to 3 execs in last 12 hours, market for Revis seems to be a first-rounder, plus another high pick, perhaps a conditional '14 pick.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

The Falcons won't get anyone better in the first round. They are going to have to pay $8-$10 million to keep Brent Grimes......it is worth the loss of a first round pick plus $6-$7 million in salary?

If the Falcons are interested. that's the question.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Broncos paying Manning $20M/year, Bailey is around $10M, and Von Miller will be getting paid huge soon enough.

Yeah yeah it's JLC, but still.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Francesa
ヽ(。_°)ノ

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...43126425186304

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers announced they have released K David Akers.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1280612

Two or three “legitimate buyers” are prepared to make a trade for perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis when free agency and the trading period begin on March 12, the Daily News has learned.
The NFC champion 49ers, who will have 12 tradeable picks in next month’s draft and a glaring need for a top cornerback, are interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later, according to sources. The Falcons, who lost to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game, are also considered a team that could emerge as a player in the Revis sweepstakes.
It would appear the niners are not interested.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...e-revis-source

Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Cheifs continue their interesting off-season by releasing Eric Winston:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl...4681--nfl.html

Quote:
Winston, selected by the Houston Texans in the third round of the 2006 NFL Draft, was a solid player for the Chiefs in 2012, but given his history as a zone blocker, and new head coach Andy Reid's preference for straight-ahead man-on-man power blockers, it may not have been the best fit. The question now becomes what the Chiefs will do with tackle Branden Albert, who they gave the franchise tag last Monday. After the Chiefs traded for ex-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, any chance that a signal-caller would be taken with the first overall pick owned by the Chiefs pretty much went out the window.

There's always the possibility that Kansas City could take one of the draft class' highly-regarded offensive tackles, such as Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M, or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher. Such a move would likely involve Albert moving from left tackle to the right side, and according to a few of Albert's tweets just after Winston's trade was announced, that wasn't going over so well.

The tweets, since deleted from Albert's account, were in response to a few fans who asked him how he felt about a move to the right side (Response: "No way"), and whether he felt that he was a natural left tackle (Response: "You damn right"). He concluded with "Don't get mad I don't give you the answer you don't want to hear... That's your bad," when a few more people insinuated that Albert would not do what was best for the team.
I guess Reid needs to get his guys in there, but it seem stupid to cut a productive player when he wasn't making much anyway.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Luke Joeckel to start at RT and move to LT next season after Albert's tag wears off is my bet.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Yeah, that is what will most likely happen. I don't really see the Chiefs getting better as a result of these moves though.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Yeah, that is what will most likely happen. I don't really see the Chiefs getting better as a result of these moves though.
I think you'll be wrong, just like you were about what Smith would get SF.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
VLoo

Winston would be a great piece to add to the Jags, RT is the weakest spot on the line, but they're not going to be active in FA until later so I doubt he's still around at that point.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Falcons a step closer to getting that much desired new stadium:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/financi...7390--nfl.html

Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
More speculation that Harvin wants Johnson/Fitzgerald money:

Quote:
While the Vikings and Harvin's agent, Joel Segal, have yet to exchange contract proposals, it's believed that Harvin wants money closer to what Calvin Johnson got from Detroit in 2012 (eight years, $132 million) than to Jackson or Bowe. That's an average of $16.5 million per year compared to a little more than $11 million for Jackson and Bowe.
There's also this:

Quote:
Harvin threatened to walk out on the team last offseason after hearing that former Florida teammate Aaron Hernandez received a contract extension after only two years.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mi...medium=twitter

Vikings might be lucky to get a late 3rd or 4th if these stories keep coming out. Harvin is nuts.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I think you'll be wrong, just like you were about what Smith would get SF.
I'm sorry that you got offended because someone on the internet has a different opinion from yours.

They're phasing out two tackles in their late 20s who played well for them, They are using a 1st overall pick and something else to replace two pieces that were not broken. It's not like these changes are going to be cheaper financially either. More importantly, they seem to be doing it because they want to shift their scheme and rely more on Alex Smith, and less on Jamaal Charles.

Once again, Reid is being extremely inefficient with his resources in KC.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
After cutting Winston, I guess they're planning on taking one of the OTs so are they going to move Albert to the right side even though he has publicly said he wants to stay on the left side (where the money is)? Or are they going to use the 1st overall pick on a guy who will be playing right tackle for them next season?

No one is going to trade up to 1st overall because there aren't any elite prospects and none of the top players really stand out for the Chiefs.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
RT @ProFootballTalk: New Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg says you can get by without an accurate quarterback wp.me/p14QSB-7z8S

Old
03-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
One WR off market: Dolphins signed WR Brian Hartline to a 5-year deal worth $30.775 million, including $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

There's also this:

Vikings might be lucky to get a late 3rd or 4th if these stories keep coming out. Harvin is nuts.
Trade him while we can. He isn't anywhere close to the same class of player he wants to get paid like.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I'm sorry that you got offended because someone on the internet has a different opinion from yours.
I'm not offended. You were just really wrong about what Smith would bring back, and I think you'll be wrong about the Chiefs this upcoming season.

Quote:
They're phasing out two tackles in their late 20s who played well for them, They are using a 1st overall pick and something else to replace two pieces that were not broken. It's not like these changes are going to be cheaper financially either. More importantly, they seem to be doing it because they want to shift their scheme and rely more on Alex Smith, and less on Jamaal Charles.

Once again, Reid is being extremely inefficient with his resources in KC.
I don't agree with them letting those tackles go, but we don't even know what Reid and co have in store to replace those guys. I'll wait until the dust settles to judge.

Also, where do you get this in regards to Smith and Charles?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

John Abraham visiting SEA and SF.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

There's also this:

Harvin wanting Calvin Johnson money is laughable.

Say they trade him sign Wallace and re-sign Simpson. Then draft someone highish.

Wallace
Draft pick.
Simpson
Wright
Burton/Summers/Childs/Whoever.

That's already better than last year even without Harvin.

If they can get a 2nd for him I'd take that and run.

If I'm the Vikings I'd let his agent talk to other teams. It's a win-win. Either he realizes he won't get nearly that much from anyone and you end up re-signing him or you find a sucker who will pay him that and work out a trade.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Harvin wanting Calvin Johnson money is laughable.

Say they trade him sign Wallace and re-sign Simpson. Then draft someone highish.

Wallace
Draft pick.
Simpson
Wright
Burton/Summers/Childs/Whoever.

That's already better than last year even without Harvin.

If they can get a 2nd for him I'd take that and run.

If I'm the Vikings I'd let his agent talk to other teams. It's a win-win. Either he realizes he won't get nearly that much from anyone and you end up re-signing him or you find a sucker who will pay him that and work out a trade.
Wallace would be a waste of money with Ponder. He brings value as a deep threat, value we couldn't capitalize on with Ponder's arm.

Ideally, we need a big-bodied WR who can catch in traffic. Vikes offense is set up to be run within 10 yards from the line.

Closed Thread