Getzlaf just signed an 8 year extension

Old
03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Thinking long term here. That contract of 8 years and 8.25. If we end up regretting it that's going to be really hard to unload in a trade. Possibly a Luongo fiasco? Sheesh Murray
Quote:
Wow NOW a no move clause? This gets more dangerous as the details unfold.
Your about the only guy here who dislikes the signing. Under the current CBA that isn't a bad deal at all. How can you possibly compare it to Luongo's deal? If we don't do a deal like that we might as well just turn in our franchise and start a beach volleyball league.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
He might as well have.... That's a huge chunk of change and a long term contract WITH a no move clause.....

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Wow NOW a no move clause? This gets more dangerous as the details unfold.
Dangerous? Is Getzlaf too old for you or something? Whatever happened to live long and prosper?

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
He might as well have.... That's a huge chunk of change and a long term contract WITH a no move clause.....
Not sure if serious.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Dangerous? Is Getzlaf too old for you or something? Whatever happened to live long and prosper?
Don't worry. He's only going to do marketing for the Ducks. He's not after Bob's job.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
@icemancometh: More Perry: "Getzy and I have talked a bunch of times. I'm not going to sit here and say yes or no. (1/2)
Quote:
@icemancometh: (cont) It’s one of those things where I’ll wait and see what happens. I'm not going to change my answer just because he signed." (2/2)
This to me says Perry said he wasn't going to discuss contract negotiations with the media at the start of the season, and he still isn't going to discuss contract discussions with the media. Nothing more and nothing less.

He'd have to get 9.43M from another team to get the same guaranteed money from another team over 7 years though - that's not going to happen. So he'd either have to force a trade or give up money for movement rights.

As far as trading Getzlaf, it's still doable. They'd just have to retain salary. The NMC is a bigger impediment to moving him than his salary. Which is market value, and a reward for being underpaid 3 of the last 4 years.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
excuse me.. where else are we going to find a 6'4 #1 Centerman who's a top-10 C in the league.
we don't have any depth right now behind getzlaf. koivu's old. bonino is a bottom 6 center. Holland doesn't look ready yet. the UFA pool this year is not that strong at C. Weiss or Mcdonald are the strongest C's i think..

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
This to me says Perry said he wasn't going to discuss contract negotiations with the media at the start of the season, and he still isn't going to discuss contract discussions with the media. Nothing more and nothing less.

He'd have to get 9.43M from another team to get the same guaranteed money from another team over 7 years though - that's not going to happen. So he'd either have to force a trade or give up money for movement rights.

As far as trading Getzlaf, it's still doable. They'd just have to retain salary. The NMC is a bigger impediment to moving him than his salary. Which is market value, and a reward for being underpaid 3 of the last 4 years.
if he's traded by the deadline. he still gets to sign for 8 years. no money left on table at all

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Water Knight

I for one I'm glad we got Getzlaf. Do I wish we could have gotten him at 7 - 7.5 m yes. I'm I going to complain over .5 or 1m more, not to much. Getzlaf is our captain, has been loyal to us, and is one of the top 10 Centers in the league (imo).

8 million is alot, but I'd rather have him at 8 then try to figure out how to fill out the line up without him. Plus as many have already said, this is under the new CBA,so we didn't do as badly as others are saying in my opinion.

Water Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
if he's traded by the deadline. he still gets to sign for 8 years. no money left on table at all
There is practically no precedent for a team, in Anaheim's position, to trade their best winger before a playoff run.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Some great comments by Teemu.. Hopefully Perry agrees.

On if Getzlaf’s contract will have any effect on Corey Perry: “I hope so. A lot of times, when you find somebody to play with who has so much chemistry like Getzy and Perry, for me, it would be crazy to go somewhere else when you have almost everything you really need. You have a franchise who really wants to win, who treats players so well. You have an unbelievable hockey player to play with. I can see why this place could be a happy place for both of them for a long, long time. That’s not me. It’s up to them. But I’d like to see Corey Perry to do the same thing, but that’s only my opinion.” -

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Not exactly subtle there, Teemu.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
There is practically no precedent for a team, in Anaheim's position, to trade their best winger before a playoff run.
I agree.

What would you guys rather? A better chance at a Stanley Cup or a mid-level prospect, a likely third liner and a late first rounder? Give me the better chance at the cup, please and thank you.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Have to hand it to samueli for at least going big on one guy. Perry at the same price seems very unlikely though.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
There's been a lot of chatter about how burned the Ducks felt by Schultz's leaving that has come up in connection with Perry's situation. I think it's possible that Murray forces the issue before the deadline

Old
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Your about the only guy here who dislikes the signing. Under the current CBA that isn't a bad deal at all. How can you possibly compare it to Luongo's deal? If we don't do a deal like that we might as well just turn in our franchise and start a beach volleyball league.
It's just a negotiation tactic ED. What happen to everyone saying 7 mil max or let them walk? Wasn't that what we were discussing just weeks ago? No one thought Getz would get signed for 8.25 with a NMC and signed 8 years.....

Regardless of the new CBA there's still a cap that we need to fit into for Selanne "if he still wants to play", And Perry, plus Ryan. I don't know the iternal budget that Samuelies are looking to spend.

But by the last signing the trio were very similar regarding contracts. And this might be the case in this scenario. We don't have the cash to keep all three. Am I missing something here? If so let ME know.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
It's just a negotiation tactic ED. What happen to everyone saying 7 mil max or let them walk? Wasn't that what we were discussing just weeks ago? No one thought Getz would get signed for 8.25 with a NMC and signed 8 years.....

Regardless of the new CBA there's still a cap that we need to fit into for Selanne "if he still wants to play", And Perry, plus Ryan. I don't know the iternal budget that Samuelies are looking to spend.

But by the last signing the trio were very similar regarding contracts. And this might be the case in this scenario. We don't have the cash to keep all three. Am I missing something here? If so let ME know.

Do you realize how horrible our team would be without Perry and Getzlaf?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

That might be because people were looking at prior contracts as a baseline. Prior contracts that were signed under different rules. This is what a superstar contract looks like without the crap years added on to dilute it. Get used to it.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Yemeth

Nice to see this done, if Getzlaf is not seen as an franchise player then I do not know who should be...

Anyway, would really love to have Perry signed too, but now it gets really interesting as the Getzlaf signing was the easier of the two for the Ducks management...

Yemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
pesko

Good deal. I'm impressed by Murray and especially Samueli for having to guts to make this kind of deal. I'm sure it at the least won't make Perry, or other players for that matter, less likely to commit to the team, when they're giving clear signals that they're willing to invest on the team.

pesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
excuse me.. where else are we going to find a 6'4 #1 Centerman who's a top-10 C in the league.
we don't have any depth right now behind getzlaf. koivu's old. bonino is a bottom 6 center. Holland doesn't look ready yet. the UFA pool this year is not that strong at C. Weiss or Mcdonald are the strongest C's i think..
Bumper if you have seen the history regarding the previous contracts. They are close in comparison. If Perry is wanting the same deal and maybe a mil or a bit less for Ryan plus Selanne resigning his yearly. How do we squeeze that into our cap space and the Samuelies budget?

With this signing Getzlaf is setting the tone regarding our UFA's and upcoming UFA's.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Most of the people who 'hate' the contract are Kings and Red Wings fans. I think we'll be fine.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Some great comments by Teemu.. Hopefully Perry agrees.

On if Getzlaf’s contract will have any effect on Corey Perry: “I hope so. A lot of times, when you find somebody to play with who has so much chemistry like Getzy and Perry, for me, it would be crazy to go somewhere else when you have almost everything you really need. You have a franchise who really wants to win, who treats players so well. You have an unbelievable hockey player to play with. I can see why this place could be a happy place for both of them for a long, long time. That’s not me. It’s up to them. But I’d like to see Corey Perry to do the same thing, but that’s only my opinion.” -
Freakin Teemu man...

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
He could be making $10 million a season and it wouldn't matter. We aren't going to be close to the cap anyways. Did we overpay? A little but if we were in free agency trying to get a #1 franchise center it would have cost more. Somethings to think about.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Doesn't take guts to offer this deal for Getz. It's what he's worth. I'm glad he wanted to stick around.

For Perry, it seems like it might be a big decision, and I don't blame him. I hope he decides to stay.