HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Nick Leddy appreciation thread

Old
03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
ObeyBollig

vCash: 500
Nick Leddy appreciation thread

Did anyone see him move the puck from end to end in the game yesterday? I love watching him stickhandle past opposing defensemen. I want to see more of it.

Many have known this guy was an offensive dynamo for a while. It is impressive the way he has improved in our end compared to the last couple years. Also his instincts appear to be top notch.

How high of ceiling does he have? Could he crack the top pairing eventually?

ObeyBollig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
I think his ceiling is still Campbell, so yeah, he could crack a top pairing, not over Keith-Seabs anytime soon though. It's funny you posted this because I was going to post a thread saying we need to get this guy signed before the playoffs. And if we can't get a contract done before free agency, I want him traded because we can't afford another Hammer situation. I really, really hope Bowman can get this deal done though.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

He's such an effortless skater and should be our PP QB.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
His goatee stubble alone deserves an appreciation thread.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
Did anyone see him move the puck from end to end in the game yesterday? I love watching him stickhandle past opposing defensemen. I want to see more of it.

Many have known this guy was an offensive dynamo for a while. It is impressive the way he has improved in our end compared to the last couple years. Also his instincts appear to be top notch.

How high of ceiling does he have? Could he crack the top pairing eventually?
You will in time. The more he develops and more confidence he gets he'll do it more and more. Definitely a thing of beauty to watch.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

he has been one of the most improved players in the entire league this year..hands down...

Last edited by DisgruntledHawkFan: 03-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
He's such an effortless skater and should be our PP QB.
completely agree

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

last year: -12
this year: +10

that's worth talking about. Don't really like +/- but that is a difference of 22...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
zytz
lumberjack

You guys should specify whether we're talking about Nick 'barely capable as a pylon in the AHL' Leddy, or you know.... the real one.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
WarriorofTime

He is so much better on the Powerplay than Keith and Seabrook. I hate seeing those two out there. Sharp (when healthy) and Leddy managing the points, please.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
moose vasko

His skating, which was good last year, has risen to a whole different level. When an opposing forwards makes the mistake of chasing him behind the net, I can't wait to see him take off. Both he and Saad have that low center of gravity that makes them very hard to get a body on.

On defense, I have noticed that he is keeping both hands on his stick more often and getting better leverage out of it. He is reading the play better as well, and not getting crossed up in coverage. I think Rosi's ability to hold the puck has also helped because it puts him under less pressure. He still needs to learn to battle more effectively (he did not look good on Detroit's goal on Sunday and then lost another puck a couple of minutes later), and I think it will be interesting to see how he handles the heavy forecheck against the tougher teams.

Overall though, he has really impressed. He has been durable as well so far; I don't think he has missed a game since being promoted to the big club 2 years ago.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Hawkaholic

Seriously?Martini banned? Wtf? I enjoyed his posts!

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
zac

He's probably the best player on the entire team at gaining zone entry, has he best shot of our d-men, is our best offensive puck handler, and is the best at moving with the puck in the zone. The fact that we have a coach(es) that haven't put him on the ice for as much PP time as possible the last one + seasons is an indictment on their intelligence. Leddy is far and away the best offensive dman we have.

His defense, along with playing with Roszival, has really helped his overall game. If he shows more defensive improvement from this year to the next, he may make Keith expendable. Aside from the stretch pass, Leddy is already better than Keith in every offensive phase of the game right now. With Keith's defense and puck clearing skills being questionable, I think it's certainly a possibility (that he becomes the better player)

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
He's probably the best player on the entire team at gaining zone entry, has he best shot of our d-men, is our best offensive puck handler, and is the best at moving with the puck in the zone. The fact that we have a coach(es) that haven't put him on the ice for as much PP time as possible the last one + seasons is an indictment on their intelligence. Leddy is far and away the best offensive dman we have.

His defense, along with playing with Roszival, has really helped his overall game. If he shows more defensive improvement from this year to the next, he may make Keith expendable. Aside from the stretch pass, Leddy is already better than Keith in every offensive phase of the game right now. With Keith's defense and puck clearing skills being questionable, I think it's certainly a possibility (that he becomes the better player)
So much wrong with this post.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post

There is a lot of speculation going on here. I do agree with Leddy being the best Dman on the Power Play. I don't know if I would say Leddy is better than Keith in every offensive phase of the game.

I will say this Keith is not a top 5 NHL defenseman, and never will be in a talk for a Norris Trophy ever again. Last year Keith wasn't even in the top 15 defenseman. I think Duncan Keith this year is in the top 10 defenseman. So Keith has recovered some lost ground.

As much ground as Keith recovered from last season... Leddy has improved even more. Nick Leddy gets 8 minutes of ice time less than Keith. Leddy would easily lead the defenseman in points if he wasn't playing 15 minutes a game.

I'm not willing to put Leddy over Keith just yet. I would say this. The next defenseman to be considered for a Norris from Chicago will be Nick Leddy & not Duncan Keith.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
There is a lot of speculation going on here. I do agree with Leddy being the best Dman on the Power Play. I don't know if I would say Leddy is better than Keith in every offensive phase of the game.

I will say this Keith is not a top 5 NHL defenseman, and never will be in a talk for a Norris Trophy ever again. Last year Keith wasn't even in the top 15 defenseman. I think Duncan Keith this year is in the top 10 defenseman. So Keith has recovered some lost ground.

As much ground as Keith recovered from last season... Leddy has improved even more. Nick Leddy gets 8 minutes of ice time less than Keith. Leddy would easily lead the defenseman in points if he wasn't playing 15 minutes a game.

I'm not willing to put Leddy over Keith just yet. I would say this. The next defenseman to be considered for a Norris from Chicago will be Nick Leddy & not Duncan Keith.
This claim is completely unsubstantiated. Keith has the best skillset out of all of our defensemen. The 69 point year is more likely than not an outlier and a career year, yes. But if he can manage to hit 55-60 points again while playing excellent defense I don't see why he wouldn't be considered.

MTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:56 PM
madgoat33

whens he going to hit 55-60pts? he can't even hit the net when he shoots. He's on pace for a 41pt 82 game season which is almost exactly where he was last year and the year before that and the year before 09-10. I think its safe to say he's a 40-45pt dman who plays good but not spectacular defense. Like he was before his norris year.

Leddy basically produced the same offensive numbers last year.

Last edited by madgoat33: 03-08-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
whens he going to hit 55-60pts? he can't even hit the net when he shoots. He's on pace for a 41pt 82 game season which is almost exactly where he was last year and the year before that and the year before 09-10. I think its safe to say he's a 40-45pt dman who plays good but not spectacular defense. Like he was before his norris year.
He'll hit 55-60 again if he ever regains his confidence on the offensive side of the puck. His passing is still spot on which was where the majority of his offense came from in 2010 and it's not unimaginable to think that he could pot 10 in a season if the Hawks powerplay continues to set up high.

Again, I'm not saying that he WILL win another Norris because he most likely won't but it's ridiculous to say that there's no chance he'll ever at least be in talks again.

MTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
He'll hit 55-60 again if he ever regains his confidence on the offensive side of the puck. His passing is still spot on which was where the majority of his offense came from in 2010 and it's not unimaginable to think that he could pot 10 in a season if the Hawks powerplay continues to set up high.

Again, I'm not saying that he WILL win another Norris because he most likely won't but it's ridiculous to say that there's no chance he'll ever at least be in talks again.
He's got 7 NHL seasons under his belt and only played at norris worthy level for one of them.

I'd say if leddy continues to solidify his defensive game, he has a better shot at a norris than keith.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Hawkaholic

Leddy's game will have to improve ten fold to even see a chance at the Norris.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
WarriorofTime

Leddy will never win a Norris. Ridiculousness.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Don't figure anyone had Keith penciled in for a Norris at 21 years old, either.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post

I bet you he will finish 3rd for it within the next 5 years.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Don't figure anyone had Keith penciled in for a Norris at 21 years old, either.
Leddy will not be a guy who shuts down the top lines in the NHL on a nightly basis. Keith was evolving into that kind of defensive presence from when he started in the league, obviously nobody expected a season quite like 09-10 though.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:30 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
He's got 7 NHL seasons under his belt and only played at norris worthy level for one of them.

I'd say if leddy continues to solidify his defensive game, he has a better shot at a norris than keith.
I don't know about that.

Keith's best defensive years were easily the 2 prior to the Cup winning season. The team overall wasn't nearly as good yet he was fantastic in his own end, was more aggressive on the puck, and was consistently in much better position than he does now.

I don't think Keith was NEAR as good defensively when he won the Norris, especially from the blown Minnesota game onward. What really put him over the edge was the insane point totals. What's bogus is that his jump in numbers was almost exclusively due to the elite PP numbers the Hawks put up that year. Keith was easily the least important cog on that unit, yet he benefitted by getting cheap assists off rebounds, deflected shots, or by the play of his linemates.

Somehow Keith continues to live off the faux elite status created by the undeserved Norris Trophy and Stanley Cup season. There are times where I see glimpses of the player Keith should be; he's an extremely smooth skater, can gain ground quicker than any defenseman, and can zip some nice tape to tape passes. Then there are the more numerous times he blows coverage, gets caught falling asleep around his own net, can't clear pucks, can't get shots on net, and attempts retarded 3-6 foot passes. He's just not THAT good anymore and I'm starting to doubt if he ever will be.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote