HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13'|Around the league talk | Non-Leaf games |Part III|Perry Re-signs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  #351
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
To me, I think that Bobby Ryan is going to be the guy that gets moved out of Anaheim.

At 5.1 mill, he's being paid to be a #1b centreman and now with Getzlaf taking up a huge chunk of coin, I think its going to be a priority to move Ryan and try to sign Perry.
To be honest, I don't know if they need to move anyone at this point .. Koivu and Selanne make $8.3 million combined, both being UFA's at the end of the year

Incorporating Getzlaf's extension gives them $19 million in cap space next year, so they can afford another $8 million dollar contract.

Problem being is they lose their secondary scoring, but with youngsters like Palmieri breaking out, having Etem with the big club, and kids like Holland and Rakell .. They have cheap, talented kids to fill those top 9 gaps ..

They'd probably just need a veteran to fill a 2nd/3rd line role, and their defense is locked up pretty well

I think they're in good shape to resign Perry, and keep Ryan for at least another year .. He has two years left on his deal, so he could be dealt next year and still get very good value. Question would be is his value higher now, or a year from now?

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
  #352
Swarez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleaf67 View Post
I don't think you are far off...

Just wow...

So WHY THE F$&%*(#$& DID WE LOSE A HALF A SEASON OF HOCKEY ??? FOR WHAT ??? :
Suter/parasie/weber all make more first 8 years of there deals by more than 10 million. People forget that, you can't lower the cap hit by 1-2million by adding years at the end.

With 8 year terms expect teams #1-2 guys to be making these cap hits going forward.
Get ready for kessel asking for 7ish a year.

Swarez is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
  #353
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Suter/parasie/weber all make more first 8 years of there deals by more than 10 million. People forget that, you can't lower the cap hit by 1-2million by adding years at the end.

With 8 year terms expect teams #1-2 guys to be making these cap hits going forward.
Get ready for kessel asking for 7ish a year.
With Kessel having a lacklustre goal scoring season, now would be the time to lock him up ... Once Lupul is back and in full stride, I think Kessel scores more and increases his contract value

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #354
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,823
vCash: 50
For those who forget Ryan is only 2 years younger than Perry.

Perry is much much more valuable.

Hero is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #355
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
To be honest, I don't know if they need to move anyone at this point .. Koivu and Selanne make $8.3 million combined, both being UFA's at the end of the year

Incorporating Getzlaf's extension gives them $19 million in cap space next year, so they can afford another $8 million dollar contract.

Problem being is they lose their secondary scoring, but with youngsters like Palmieri breaking out, having Etem with the big club, and kids like Holland and Rakell .. They have cheap, talented kids to fill those top 9 gaps ..

They'd probably just need a veteran to fill a 2nd/3rd line role, and their defense is locked up pretty well

I think they're in good shape to resign Perry, and keep Ryan for at least another year .. He has two years left on his deal, so he could be dealt next year and still get very good value. Question would be is his value higher now, or a year from now?
Yup, if Anaheim wants to, they can keep Perry.

Grant is online now  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #356
Nickolopolous
Registered User
 
Nickolopolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Mother ducker....

Nickolopolous is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
  #357
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Perry.

Easily.
Hands down. No questions asked.

The Ducks are a team that are restricted as to what they can pay due to ownership. They do have Koivu and Selanne coming off the books though.

If the Ducks and Leafs made a trade....

To Anaheim:
F Tyler Bozak
D Mike Kostka
F Clarke MacArthur
2013 3rd Round Pick
2013 Conditional Picks

To Toronto:
F Bobby Ryan

* Bobby Ryan is a talented young man. The Leafs give up 2 guys that are free agents, so the deal also includes conditional picks on each guy. The Ducks also receive 2 solid roster spots and Kostka, so they don't lose total competitiveness for this season.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
  #358
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Suter/parasie/weber all make more first 8 years of there deals by more than 10 million. People forget that, you can't lower the cap hit by 1-2million by adding years at the end.

With 8 year terms expect teams #1-2 guys to be making these cap hits going forward.
Get ready for kessel asking for 7ish a year.

Brad Richards is going to have a cap hit of 6.7 million at age 39.

Perry could have a 9 cap hit at 35.

I have a feeling one will be easier to swallow than the other.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
  #359
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Hands down. No questions asked.

The Ducks are a team that are restricted as to what they can pay due to ownership. They do have Koivu and Selanne coming off the books though.

If the Ducks and Leafs made a trade....

To Anaheim:
F Tyler Bozak
D Mike Kostka
F Clarke MacArthur
2013 3rd Round Pick
2013 Conditional Picks

To Toronto:
F Bobby Ryan

* Bobby Ryan is a talented young man. The Leafs give up 2 guys that are free agents, so the deal also includes conditional picks on each guy. The Ducks also receive 2 solid roster spots and Kostka, so they don't lose total competitiveness for this season.
That trade is brutal

I'd love Ryan though .. JVR - Kadri - Ryan would be a legit line

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
  #360
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
That trade is brutal

I'd love Ryan though .. JVR - Kadri - Ryan would be a legit line
2 conditional picks that have a value of a 2nd round pick each?

I would take that deal if I was a money strapped franchise and wanted to keep competitive this season. Also keeping in mind that I'm going to have to pay Perry huge money and build a 2nd line if Selanne and Koivu retire.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  #361
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
2 conditional picks that have a value of a 2nd round pick each?

I would take that deal if I was a money strapped franchise and wanted to keep competitive this season. Also keeping in mind that I'm going to have to pay Perry huge money and build a 2nd line if Selanne and Koivu retire.
Anaheim has some quality young prospects that might be able to fill in that second line role though .. Palmeiri has taken a step forward this year .. Etem's a hell of a prospect, they also have Holland, Rakell

They can ride these young players cheap contracts and get great value out of them so they can retain their big three

They'd really only need one veteran presence to stabilize the line up IMO.

A trade for Ryan will have to contain a 1st round pick .. He's a hell of a player

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  #362
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Anaheim has some quality young prospects that might be able to fill in that second line role though .. Palmeiri has taken a step forward this year .. Etem's a hell of a prospect, they also have Holland, Rakell

They can ride these young players cheap contracts and get great value out of them so they can retain their big three

They'd really only need one veteran presence to stabilize the line up IMO.

A trade for Ryan will have to contain a 1st round pick .. He's a hell of a player
They do have a lot of good young prospects and I do agree that Bobby Ryan is a good player, but you have to think of the financial issues that the Ducks will face. if you want to keep Perry, then he's going to make a combined contract to what Selanne and Koivu both make.

Value wise, I'm not too far off. Bozak gets grilled becaues he's not a true #1 centreman, so his value is highly diminished on this site. But he's one of the best in the league in the draw, kills penalties and is responsible in his own end. Clarke MacArthur is a good complimentary guy and can score 20 goals a sesason for a team. The picks can be flipped for servicable veterans on good contracts.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
  #363
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Ottawa @ NY Rangers
Winnipeg @ Florida

Tomorrow's out of town scoreboard:
Philadelphia @ Boston
Washington @ NY Islanders
New Jersey @ Carolina
Montreal @ Tampa Bay

For our playoffs chances, Habs need to win. However, I certainly wouldn't mind them losing.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
  #364
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
They do have a lot of good young prospects and I do agree that Bobby Ryan is a good player, but you have to think of the financial issues that the Ducks will face. if you want to keep Perry, then he's going to make a combined contract to what Selanne and Koivu both make.

Value wise, I'm not too far off. Bozak gets grilled becaues he's not a true #1 centreman, so his value is highly diminished on this site. But he's one of the best in the league in the draw, kills penalties and is responsible in his own end. Clarke MacArthur is a good complimentary guy and can score 20 goals a sesason for a team. The picks can be flipped for servicable veterans on good contracts.
But Bozak and MacA are also FA's at the end of this season, and combined will probably cost at least $7 mill to resign ... ($3.5 each per season) .. Might as well throw an extra mill at Perry and sign a veteran UFA for that top 9 role for $3 mill

They also have Toni Lydman coming off the books at $3 mill per season, frees up some space

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
  #365
I Believe
Registered User
 
I Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
I'd rather have the Rangers winning. It looks like they've finally turned a corner and I can see them rapidly climb the standings, while Ottawa can definately drop out of contention due to their injuries. What Ottawa has done this year is commendable, but I think the Rangers are simply the better team.

I Believe is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
  #366
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Yelling at clouds
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I'd rather have the Rangers winning. It looks like they've finally turned a corner and I can see them rapidly climb the standings, while Ottawa can definately drop out of contention due to their injuries. What Ottawa has done this year is commendable, but I think the Rangers are simply the better team.
Ottawa has just had tremendous energy to literally work and dig out all of their wins and games .. They just don't have the NHL calibre roster to skillfully win out games

That will catch up to them .. I don't think they can keep working this hard without burning themselves out on a compressed schedule

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
  #367
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
But Bozak and MacA are also FA's at the end of this season, and combined will probably cost at least $7 mill to resign ... ($3.5 each per season) .. Might as well throw an extra mill at Perry and sign a veteran UFA for that top 9 role for $3 mill

They also have Toni Lydman coming off the books at $3 mill per season, frees up some space
Ok, so let's figure this out. (being serious)

Lets say that Perry gets the same contract as Getzlaf at 8.25. And for arguments sake, Palmieri, McMillan and Belesky make a combined 3 million.

Realistically, you let Lydman walk or sign him (or a UFA) for around 2.5.

So a total of 13.75 with resigning players. So realistically you are looking at a Cap Payroll of around 59 million (ish).

That gives you 5 million to sign 2 forwards and have a depth defenceman. For a cap strapped team, that just doesn't seem like its going to work in my mind. It also suggests that you are going to rely a lot on the 2nd line and I'm not sure if Selanne or Koivu are going to come back. Both those 2 veterans are having very solid years with 17 and 20 point seasons.

I get that the Bozak and MacArthur aren't the most they could get, but the picks are a solid trade asset to have in the off-season.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
  #368
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
To be honest, I don't know if they need to move anyone at this point .. Koivu and Selanne make $8.3 million combined, both being UFA's at the end of the year

Incorporating Getzlaf's extension gives them $19 million in cap space next year, so they can afford another $8 million dollar contract.

Problem being is they lose their secondary scoring, but with youngsters like Palmieri breaking out, having Etem with the big club, and kids like Holland and Rakell .. They have cheap, talented kids to fill those top 9 gaps ..

They'd probably just need a veteran to fill a 2nd/3rd line role, and their defense is locked up pretty well

I think they're in good shape to resign Perry, and keep Ryan for at least another year .. He has two years left on his deal, so he could be dealt next year and still get very good value. Question would be is his value higher now, or a year from now?
But what if Perry doesn't want to sign with them?

The Blue Devil is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
  #369
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brymas McCaberle View Post
Haha Nazri.

That reminds me of some loco on post game radio show calling him Nigel Cadbury.
What makes this post work is it's coming from a poster named Brymas McCaberle.

Hyperglide is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 05:18 PM
  #370
mcleex
Registered User
 
mcleex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Can't believe people are surprised that Getzlaf re-signed, that's today's NHL people. You have to grow your own talent. This isn't the NBA where every team is a farm team for the Lakers, Heat, Chicago and Boston. You have to draft and develop your own players

We aren't getting Getzlaf or Perry for that matter. Just like why didn't get Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Parise, Kovalchuk, Jeff Carter, the Sedin twins, Stastny, ROR, Backes, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby and just about every other player this delusional fan base thinks will end up a Leaf

mcleex is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  #371
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Can't believe people are surprised that Getzlaf re-signed, that's today's NHL people. You have to grow your own talent. This isn't the NBA where every team is a farm team for the Lakers, Heat, Chicago and Boston. You have to draft and develop your own players

We aren't getting Getzlaf or Perry for that matter. Just like why didn't get Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Parise, Kovalchuk, Jeff Carter, the Sedin twins, Stastny, ROR, Backes, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby and just about every other player this delusional fan base thinks will end up a Leaf
I think people are more surprised by the fact that he signed for so much.

Getzlaf makes 8.25 mill next season, while Crosby only makes 545k more than him.

I get that you are suppose to develop your own talent, but the Leafs are so far beyond that now. But that's an argument for another day.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 06:01 PM
  #372
iArts
ಠ_ಠ
 
iArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
If we have another 18 wheeler collapse.

Kessel
Kulemin

for

Despres
Bennett
1st
2nd


Grabovski

for

Danault
2nd
No.

iArts is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
  #373
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,755
vCash: 500
who do we want to win the ott@nyr ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 06:06 PM
  #374
iArts
ಠ_ಠ
 
iArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
who do we want to win the ott@nyr ?
Senaturds.

iArts is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 06:10 PM
  #375
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,755
vCash: 500
i cant root for ottawa !

p.l.f. is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.