HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13'|Around the league talk | Non-Leaf games |Part III|Perry Re-signs

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
To me, I think that Bobby Ryan is going to be the guy that gets moved out of Anaheim.

At 5.1 mill, he's being paid to be a #1b centreman and now with Getzlaf taking up a huge chunk of coin, I think its going to be a priority to move Ryan and try to sign Perry.
To be honest, I don't know if they need to move anyone at this point .. Koivu and Selanne make $8.3 million combined, both being UFA's at the end of the year

Incorporating Getzlaf's extension gives them $19 million in cap space next year, so they can afford another $8 million dollar contract.

Problem being is they lose their secondary scoring, but with youngsters like Palmieri breaking out, having Etem with the big club, and kids like Holland and Rakell .. They have cheap, talented kids to fill those top 9 gaps ..

They'd probably just need a veteran to fill a 2nd/3rd line role, and their defense is locked up pretty well

I think they're in good shape to resign Perry, and keep Ryan for at least another year .. He has two years left on his deal, so he could be dealt next year and still get very good value. Question would be is his value higher now, or a year from now?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by beleaf67 View Post
I don't think you are far off...

Just wow...

So WHY THE F$&%*(#$& DID WE LOSE A HALF A SEASON OF HOCKEY ??? FOR WHAT ??? :
Suter/parasie/weber all make more first 8 years of there deals by more than 10 million. People forget that, you can't lower the cap hit by 1-2million by adding years at the end.

With 8 year terms expect teams #1-2 guys to be making these cap hits going forward.
Get ready for kessel asking for 7ish a year.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Suter/parasie/weber all make more first 8 years of there deals by more than 10 million. People forget that, you can't lower the cap hit by 1-2million by adding years at the end.

With 8 year terms expect teams #1-2 guys to be making these cap hits going forward.
With Kessel having a lacklustre goal scoring season, now would be the time to lock him up ... Once Lupul is back and in full stride, I think Kessel scores more and increases his contract value

Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
For those who forget Ryan is only 2 years younger than Perry.

Perry is much much more valuable.

Old
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
To be honest, I don't know if they need to move anyone at this point .. Koivu and Selanne make $8.3 million combined, both being UFA's at the end of the year

Incorporating Getzlaf's extension gives them $19 million in cap space next year, so they can afford another $8 million dollar contract.

Problem being is they lose their secondary scoring, but with youngsters like Palmieri breaking out, having Etem with the big club, and kids like Holland and Rakell .. They have cheap, talented kids to fill those top 9 gaps ..

They'd probably just need a veteran to fill a 2nd/3rd line role, and their defense is locked up pretty well

I think they're in good shape to resign Perry, and keep Ryan for at least another year .. He has two years left on his deal, so he could be dealt next year and still get very good value. Question would be is his value higher now, or a year from now?
Yup, if Anaheim wants to, they can keep Perry.

Old
Nickolopolous

Mother ducker....

Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Perry.

Easily.
Hands down. No questions asked.

The Ducks are a team that are restricted as to what they can pay due to ownership. They do have Koivu and Selanne coming off the books though.

If the Ducks and Leafs made a trade....

To Anaheim:
F Tyler Bozak
D Mike Kostka
F Clarke MacArthur
2013 3rd Round Pick
2013 Conditional Picks

To Toronto:
F Bobby Ryan

* Bobby Ryan is a talented young man. The Leafs give up 2 guys that are free agents, so the deal also includes conditional picks on each guy. The Ducks also receive 2 solid roster spots and Kostka, so they don't lose total competitiveness for this season.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post

Brad Richards is going to have a cap hit of 6.7 million at age 39.

Perry could have a 9 cap hit at 35.

I have a feeling one will be easier to swallow than the other.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Hands down. No questions asked.

The Ducks are a team that are restricted as to what they can pay due to ownership. They do have Koivu and Selanne coming off the books though.

If the Ducks and Leafs made a trade....

To Anaheim:
F Tyler Bozak
D Mike Kostka
F Clarke MacArthur
2013 3rd Round Pick
2013 Conditional Picks

To Toronto:
F Bobby Ryan

* Bobby Ryan is a talented young man. The Leafs give up 2 guys that are free agents, so the deal also includes conditional picks on each guy. The Ducks also receive 2 solid roster spots and Kostka, so they don't lose total competitiveness for this season.
That trade is brutal

I'd love Ryan though .. JVR - Kadri - Ryan would be a legit line

Old
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
showtime8

Quote:
That trade is brutal

I'd love Ryan though .. JVR - Kadri - Ryan would be a legit line
2 conditional picks that have a value of a 2nd round pick each?

I would take that deal if I was a money strapped franchise and wanted to keep competitive this season. Also keeping in mind that I'm going to have to pay Perry huge money and build a 2nd line if Selanne and Koivu retire.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
2 conditional picks that have a value of a 2nd round pick each?

I would take that deal if I was a money strapped franchise and wanted to keep competitive this season. Also keeping in mind that I'm going to have to pay Perry huge money and build a 2nd line if Selanne and Koivu retire.
Anaheim has some quality young prospects that might be able to fill in that second line role though .. Palmeiri has taken a step forward this year .. Etem's a hell of a prospect, they also have Holland, Rakell

They can ride these young players cheap contracts and get great value out of them so they can retain their big three

They'd really only need one veteran presence to stabilize the line up IMO.

A trade for Ryan will have to contain a 1st round pick .. He's a hell of a player

Old
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Anaheim has some quality young prospects that might be able to fill in that second line role though .. Palmeiri has taken a step forward this year .. Etem's a hell of a prospect, they also have Holland, Rakell

They can ride these young players cheap contracts and get great value out of them so they can retain their big three

They'd really only need one veteran presence to stabilize the line up IMO.

A trade for Ryan will have to contain a 1st round pick .. He's a hell of a player
They do have a lot of good young prospects and I do agree that Bobby Ryan is a good player, but you have to think of the financial issues that the Ducks will face. if you want to keep Perry, then he's going to make a combined contract to what Selanne and Koivu both make.

Value wise, I'm not too far off. Bozak gets grilled becaues he's not a true #1 centreman, so his value is highly diminished on this site. But he's one of the best in the league in the draw, kills penalties and is responsible in his own end. Clarke MacArthur is a good complimentary guy and can score 20 goals a sesason for a team. The picks can be flipped for servicable veterans on good contracts.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Ottawa @ NY Rangers
Winnipeg @ Florida

Tomorrow's out of town scoreboard:
Philadelphia @ Boston
Washington @ NY Islanders
New Jersey @ Carolina
Montreal @ Tampa Bay

For our playoffs chances, Habs need to win. However, I certainly wouldn't mind them losing.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
They do have a lot of good young prospects and I do agree that Bobby Ryan is a good player, but you have to think of the financial issues that the Ducks will face. if you want to keep Perry, then he's going to make a combined contract to what Selanne and Koivu both make.

Value wise, I'm not too far off. Bozak gets grilled becaues he's not a true #1 centreman, so his value is highly diminished on this site. But he's one of the best in the league in the draw, kills penalties and is responsible in his own end. Clarke MacArthur is a good complimentary guy and can score 20 goals a sesason for a team. The picks can be flipped for servicable veterans on good contracts.
But Bozak and MacA are also FA's at the end of this season, and combined will probably cost at least $7 mill to resign ... ($3.5 each per season) .. Might as well throw an extra mill at Perry and sign a veteran UFA for that top 9 role for $3 mill

They also have Toni Lydman coming off the books at $3 mill per season, frees up some space

Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I Believe

I'd rather have the Rangers winning. It looks like they've finally turned a corner and I can see them rapidly climb the standings, while Ottawa can definately drop out of contention due to their injuries. What Ottawa has done this year is commendable, but I think the Rangers are simply the better team.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I'd rather have the Rangers winning. It looks like they've finally turned a corner and I can see them rapidly climb the standings, while Ottawa can definately drop out of contention due to their injuries. What Ottawa has done this year is commendable, but I think the Rangers are simply the better team.
Ottawa has just had tremendous energy to literally work and dig out all of their wins and games .. They just don't have the NHL calibre roster to skillfully win out games

That will catch up to them .. I don't think they can keep working this hard without burning themselves out on a compressed schedule

Old
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
showtime8

Quote:
But Bozak and MacA are also FA's at the end of this season, and combined will probably cost at least $7 mill to resign ... ($3.5 each per season) .. Might as well throw an extra mill at Perry and sign a veteran UFA for that top 9 role for $3 mill

They also have Toni Lydman coming off the books at $3 mill per season, frees up some space
Ok, so let's figure this out. (being serious)

Lets say that Perry gets the same contract as Getzlaf at 8.25. And for arguments sake, Palmieri, McMillan and Belesky make a combined 3 million.

Realistically, you let Lydman walk or sign him (or a UFA) for around 2.5.

So a total of 13.75 with resigning players. So realistically you are looking at a Cap Payroll of around 59 million (ish).

That gives you 5 million to sign 2 forwards and have a depth defenceman. For a cap strapped team, that just doesn't seem like its going to work in my mind. It also suggests that you are going to rely a lot on the 2nd line and I'm not sure if Selanne or Koivu are going to come back. Both those 2 veterans are having very solid years with 17 and 20 point seasons.

I get that the Bozak and MacArthur aren't the most they could get, but the picks are a solid trade asset to have in the off-season.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

But what if Perry doesn't want to sign with them?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brymas McCaberle View Post
Haha Nazri.

That reminds me of some loco on post game radio show calling him Nigel Cadbury.
What makes this post work is it's coming from a poster named Brymas McCaberle.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:18 PM
mcleex

Can't believe people are surprised that Getzlaf re-signed, that's today's NHL people. You have to grow your own talent. This isn't the NBA where every team is a farm team for the Lakers, Heat, Chicago and Boston. You have to draft and develop your own players

We aren't getting Getzlaf or Perry for that matter. Just like why didn't get Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Parise, Kovalchuk, Jeff Carter, the Sedin twins, Stastny, ROR, Backes, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby and just about every other player this delusional fan base thinks will end up a Leaf

Old
03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Can't believe people are surprised that Getzlaf re-signed, that's today's NHL people. You have to grow your own talent. This isn't the NBA where every team is a farm team for the Lakers, Heat, Chicago and Boston. You have to draft and develop your own players

We aren't getting Getzlaf or Perry for that matter. Just like why didn't get Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Parise, Kovalchuk, Jeff Carter, the Sedin twins, Stastny, ROR, Backes, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby and just about every other player this delusional fan base thinks will end up a Leaf
I think people are more surprised by the fact that he signed for so much.

Getzlaf makes 8.25 mill next season, while Crosby only makes 545k more than him.

I get that you are suppose to develop your own talent, but the Leafs are so far beyond that now. But that's an argument for another day.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:01 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
If we have another 18 wheeler collapse.

Kessel
Kulemin

for

Despres