HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

George McPhee II

View Poll Results: Do the Caps need a new GM? Fire George, or keep George?
Fire George 80 81.63%
Keep George 18 18.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think Erskine looks strong in the top 4 and Kundratek isn't embarrassing himself in the Green/Orlov absence.

And whats this about a "good one"?? I think you are missing the point. Its not about having the "good one" but the "RIGHT ONE".

Alzner-Green
Erskine-Carlson
xxx-Kundratek/Orlov/Oleksy

I think our big issue is bottom pairing LD as neither Schultz or Poti have played well.

But thats a minor issue. I think you are underestimating how good our D is overall. We have the depth to cover for missing Green AND Orlov.
As I stated, we will not agree here. You obviously have come Caps coloured glasses on. Somehow a 10-12 record means we are in great shape. I dont agree with that. We have a lot of holes, and are a fringe contender, at best.

Caps need help on their D. Erskine-Carlson is not a top 4 pair. Not for a team that wants to win a Cup. Good ONE, Right ONE, whatever. Point is that we do not have THE ONE.

The top teams will carve us up. You see this defense holding off Pittsburgh and Boston for 7 games? Let alone Rangers or Flyers or Canadians or Devils? Fat chance. Yeah, we beat Boston at home in OT. Take that show on the road and see what happens. Last good team we played on the road (Flyers), we got our ***** handed to us.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I dunno, I don't expect to see many changes, if any at all, at least until the offseason. Let's break it down (using current lines):

26 - 9 - 8
16 - 19 - 20
25 - 85 - 42
17 - 83 - 15
24, 90 (INJ), 21 (INJ)

27 - 36
4 - 74
55 - 61
3, 52 (INJ), Hillen (INJ)

70, 30

The most important hole is 1LW, but those cost a pretty penny to acquire, even as deadline rentals. 4RW and 2LD are holes, but those appear to be more or less "adequately" filled, though not ideally. For a team that doesn't look like it will be in a position to declare itself a sure-fire buyer or seller, I don't see anything but "hold your cards". The only real hope is for a hockey trade IMO.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I dunno, I don't expect to see many changes, if any at all, at least until the offseason. Let's break it down (using current lines):

26 - 9 - 8
16 - 19 - 20
25 - 85 - 42
17 - 83 - 15
24, 90 (INJ), 21 (INJ)

27 - 36
4 - 74
55 - 61
3, 52 (INJ), Hillen (INJ)

70, 30

The most important hole is 1LW, but those cost a pretty penny to acquire, even as deadline rentals. 4RW and 2LD are holes, but those appear to be more or less "adequately" filled, though not ideally. For a team that doesn't look like it will be in a position to declare itself a sure-fire buyer or seller, I don't see anything but "hold your cards". The only real hope is for a hockey trade IMO.
I'd like to see Fehr get a shot at 1LW over Hendricks. Well, maybe after they sign him to extension first. I can see him potting quite a few off Ribeiro passes.

If Brooks ever came back then they'd likely have him at 2LW, leaving Wolski, Chimera, and Hendricks to duke it out in the bottom 6.

That said, I agree with your evaluation. The Caps probably won't do much at the deadline unless things veer south again.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
As I stated, we will not agree here. You obviously have come Caps coloured glasses on. Somehow a 10-12 record means we are in great shape. I dont agree with that. We have a lot of holes, and are a fringe contender, at best.

Caps need help on their D. Erskine-Carlson is not a top 4 pair. Not for a team that wants to win a Cup. Good ONE, Right ONE, whatever. Point is that we do not have THE ONE.

The top teams will carve us up. You see this defense holding off Pittsburgh and Boston for 7 games? Let alone Rangers or Flyers or Canadians or Devils? Fat chance. Yeah, we beat Boston at home in OT. Take that show on the road and see what happens. Last good team we played on the road (Flyers), we got our ***** handed to us.
I am a big fan of Erskine and he is playing very well. So yes Erskine/Carlson is a top 4 pair in my book.

Did we not beat the Bruins and goto 7 games with the Rags? We absolutely can beat any of those teams you mentioned in a series.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Millhaus

THN has the Caps with the second best prospects ranking compared to average draft position. Ottawa was number 1.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
THN has the Caps with the second best prospects ranking compared to average draft position. Ottawa was number 1.
That seals it. Fire he's ass.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That seals it. Fire he's ass.
We all know he is a good collector of talent. He just hold on to it way to long. And does not know how to build winner.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
We all know he is a good collector of talent. He just hold on to it way to long. And does not know how to build winner.
most GMs dont then. there are 30 teams, not every team can win

Old
03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Bananas

I'm really pulling for George to get the last laugh here.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Thats just Bananas.

Last laugh would be Ted to fire him, and for him to win the Cup in Columbus. Now that would be funny!

Old
03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
dillyboy93

Anyone interested in Ryan Clowe?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
He's having a terrible year, but I've always been a fan of the player. Curious to see what he'd fetch as a UFA this summer and wouldn't mind if the Caps were involved.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
maybe its time to give this a rest. they are on an 8 and 3 run. oates game is being played and they are winning consistantly. might be that mcphee was right on a number of accounts.

who is this guy olesky? maybe when the new wears off he wont be good but so far he is impressive.
kundratek looks like a player.
erskine might be capable of top 4 play afterall.
ribeiro looks like a brilliant move.

question. those that bash mcphee for multi year deals for middle of the lineup or lower veterans. matt hendricks?? let him walk if he wants more than a one year? or hasnt he earned a two year contract at his salary level with a bump in pay?
This thread is about 15 years of failure, not a few good games this year or a few moves that look decent right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Hey, nobody would be happier if he ended up winning a Cup here, but how long does he get to try and how long do we put up with trending in the wrong direction?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Hey, nobody would be happier if he ended up winning a Cup here, but how long does he get to try and how long do we put up with trending in the wrong direction?
"Full House George, look at the Full House!!!!"
(screams Ted... with gyro dripping off his chin, as he cackles at the morose George McPhee, all whilst the Caps drop another game at home to SE Fodder....)

That long?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
Would be a perfect fit for Ovechkin's opposite wing, though next year he might be better suited for Forsberg's wing.

Haven't seen much of him this season though. Anyone know what his issues have been?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Ridley Simon

That was a typical George Game

Caps suck. Seriously. They need a lot of help. You posters on here that claim all is well, and that they dont need help are clueless.

Defense is terrible
Offense is sporadic

I like Oates. But he cant turn this bunch of turds into something good. Caps are 3 games under .500 with one game before the middle mark. Rags have our number too, so dont be shocked to see 10-14 by tomorrow evening.

Yes, I am angry.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Ovechkin

Wonder which gets more attention by those "in charge", the team's win/loss record or the season ticket renewal rate?

Old
03-09-2013, 03:28 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin View Post
Wonder which gets more attention by those "in charge", the team's win/loss record or the season ticket renewal rate?
I wonder if George McPhee finally gets some attention from both of these factors. Enough with this losing autocracy!

The only way to pull attention is by not paying for anything Caps related! Ted only looks at the revenue stream.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:31 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Caps back in the league's bottom 5.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Caps suck. Seriously. They need a lot of help. You posters on here that claim all is well, and that they dont need help are clueless.

Defense is terrible
Offense is sporadic

I like Oates. But he cant turn this bunch of turds into something good. Caps are 3 games under .500 with one game before the middle mark. Rags have our number too, so dont be shocked to see 10-14 by tomorrow evening.

Yes, I am angry.
Well to be honest if someone had told you Grubauer was going to be in net and Erskine was going to go out 2 minutes into the game so both 3rd pairing guys were going to play around 20 minutes each and Carlson almost 30 how would you have predicted things would have worked out?

It is what it is but that's a tough scenario for any team let alone these Caps.

And Ovechkin is lucky that wasn't an NBC game as Milbury would have had another field day with his performance...

Old
03-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well to be honest if someone had told you Grubauer was going to be in net and Erskine was going to go out 2 minutes into the game so both 3rd pairing guys were going to play around 20 minutes each and Carlson almost 30 how would you have predicted things would have worked out?

It is what it is but that's a tough scenario for any team let alone these Caps.

And Ovechkin is lucky that wasn't an NBC game as Milbury would have had another field day with his performance...
Come on though....I will give you Gurubuaueur. But Erskine? Coming into the season, who thought Mike Green would play every game? No one, not even Mike Green's Mom thought that.

So really its just Erskine. This team should not have been built so that John Erskine is the guy that folds the house of cards. If you told me going into the season that Green and Erskine would miss the same game, I'd have said "yeah, I'm sure, Green is alwaays hurt, Erskine is 6/7/8 D-men. So of course that will happen...probably a lot"

This team's Defense is terrible. Period End

Old
03-10-2013, 08:00 AM
g00n
abides

Injury excuse! Caps are the only team with players that get hurt!

Old
03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Yesterday was Sarge's big day to lead our kids on defense. He is clearly not that guy and that is fine.

The bigger and underlying problem of our defense is that George treats him as if he is or will be that guy. And has paid him as such for many years now, and made coaches prioritize giving him that opportunity to prove George right.

Its a problem when a teams 1 and 2 LD make much less than the 3 4 and 5. At least we cut ties with our 5 hammer but dare I think he was better than Poti and Sarge, or at least, very close.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yesterday was Sarge's big day to lead our kids on defense. He is clearly not that guy and that is fine.

The bigger and underlying problem of our defense is that George treats him as if he is or will be that guy. And has paid him as such for many years now, and made coaches prioritize giving him that opportunity to prove George right.

Its a problem when a teams 1 and 2 LD make much less than the 3 4 and 5. At least we cut ties with our 5 hammer but dare I think he was better than Poti and Sarge, or at least, very close.
I think most Caps fans (players?) would trust Hammer over Sarge, when the chips are down. Frankly, both should be gone, with the 6m+ in saving spent on a real D-man. One gone, one to go.

Its totally Effed Up that the Caps use (waste) 9m on Sarge/Poti/Hammer. I mean, that is from the theater of the absurd....add in that people are worried about Ribs at 6m a year, and we are all lemmings heading off the cliff, lead be the Head Lemming, George McPhee

Fire George

Closed Thread