HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

PK is a top 4 defenseman on any team.

On this team, definitely top pairing.
PK is a top pairing on most teams in the league outside of maybe Boston and Chicago

There are not 30 defensemen better than him and many of the ones that are better than him are at their peak/plateau and PK is still getting better.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
But...by that logic we would have the reigning Norris trophy winner, in which case he's proven to be the best d-man in the league, and paying him as such would be normal.

No?

Am I missing something...?

If he wins the Norris, I would expect Bergevin to pogo stick to his house with glee, and $6.5M in a brief case
It's hard to say that your not right. Actually, i don't think Subban will be looking to broke the bank. He wants the right deal. He loves Montreal and he wants this team to win. He could sign a deal like Pacioretty sign. A big enough salary that represente his value for the team, but to much so that the team can sign other good players. I believe Subban could sign a 6 years, 5.5M per season contrat. That deal would be fair to everyone.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
ChikN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
PK is a top pairing on most teams in the league outside of maybe Boston and Chicago

There are not 30 defensemen better than him and many of the ones that are better than him are at their peak/plateau and PK is still getting better.
Yeah and even Boston is arguable. Imagine a pairing Chara-Subban...

Old
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post

I suppose you could say that.

But really, when we talk about "top 4 defenseman" it's pretty much all the same anyways. Teams nowadays like to have the top 2 pairings be pretty much equal.

Look at Emelin, I'm a HUGE fan. But the guy is typically NOT considered a top pairing defenseman in the NHL. Yet he's on the "number 1" unit with Markov.

So, when I say PK would be a "top 4 on any NHL team" I don't mean it as a slight to PK. I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily mean he would be on every teams so called "number 1 pairing."

03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That bridge contract is going to hurt us in the end.
To play devil's advocate, the bridge contract may have lit another fire under PK's ass, and motivated him even more. In that case, its not a terrible thing. They will find money for him.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
I suppose you could say that.

But really, when we talk about "top 4 defenseman" it's pretty much all the same anyways. Teams nowadays like to have the top 2 pairings be pretty much equal.

Look at Emelin, I'm a HUGE fan. But the guy is typically NOT considered a top pairing defenseman in the NHL. Yet he's on the "number 1" unit with Markov.

So, when I say PK would be a "top 4 on any NHL team" I don't mean it as a slight to PK. I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily mean he would be on every teams so called "number 1 pairing."
When Crosby and Malkin are both healthy we don't say Malkin is a second liner because he plays on the 2nd line. Malkin's a 1st Liners regardless of where he plays on the 1st or 2nd line. Same goes for D-pairings, if you are good enough to be a top-pairing guy it doesn't matter if you are on the second pairing.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
When Crosby and Malkin are both healthy we don't say Malkin is a second liner because he plays on the 2nd line. Malkin's a 1st Liners regardless of where he plays on the 1st or 2nd line. Same goes for D-pairings, if you are good enough to be a top-pairing guy it doesn't matter if you are on the second pairing.
Exactly! Good example with Malkin. Same goes for D.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Habnot

This should be required reading

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site...is-letang.html

Old
03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Thanks for the link, man. I enjoyed it.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Exactly! Good example with Malkin. Same goes for D.
I think his point was that you don't call Malkin(or Crosby) a top 6 player, or a top 2 center.
Same goes for Pk, he shouldn't be mentioned as a top 4 but more as a top D (or top 2 at worst).

I still don't understand how people thought this kid hadn't proven enough to warrant the risk of signing him longer.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:02 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Very interesting reading. PK Subban is way underrated by the French media.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Impressive writing there...I agree 100%, especially the part where he mentions the pass Subban made to Brandon Prust on Gorges goal last night. The guy makes a 80 foot pass tape to tape to Prust and no one says a damn thing

People LOVE to criticise PK Subban...but those same people are like crickets when Subban is playing well.

Again, you'd have to be a fool to not realize the double standard that Subban has in terms of how he's perceived around the league.

A real shame, because take away all of the nonsense, and just focus on his play...he's a very, very good player.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Very interesting reading. PK Subban is way underrated by the French media.
Not just French media...English one's too.

The focus on Subban is never about how what he actually does on the ice, it's about everything else in an effort to minimize just how good a player he is.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think his point was that you don't call Malkin(or Crosby) a top 6 player, or a top 2 center.
Same goes for Pk, he shouldn't be mentioned as a top 4 but more as a top D (or top 2 at worst).
I think people are putting a little too much stock into me saying PK is clearly a top 4 defenseman on any team. His skill set obviously says number 1 pairing, but I'm talking about in terms of actual hockey games here, not just on paper. To me, it seems teams nowadays put a lot more emphasis on 3 solid D pairings. When I say he's clearly "a top 4 D" I mean it in the sense he would absolutely be among the most important 4 defenseman on all teams. Whether it be the 1st official pairing, or 2nd official pairing, it doesn't really matter.

Fine...on paper, and in line-up cards/posts whatever..PK is a top 2 D.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Impressive writing there...I agree 100%, especially the part where he mentions the pass Subban made to Brandon Prust on Gorges goal last night. The guy makes a 80 foot pass tape to tape to Prust and no one says a damn thing

People LOVE to criticise PK Subban...but those same people are like crickets when Subban is playing well.

Again, you'd have to be a fool to not realize the double standard that Subban has in terms of how he's perceived around the league.

A real shame, because take away all of the nonsense, and just focus on his play...he's a very, very good player.
Ya I was very surprised they didn't mention that pass. When Markov does it they always mention it like he's a hockey God.

That pass was sick.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:

Brilliant article.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
the writer REALLY likes Subban.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
LeoHabs*

To sum it up: Offensively he is succeeding, defensively he is a bit shaky. Once he masters his defensive play, he will deserve the huge contract he was seeking.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

I was the only one to say anything about it in the GDT. It was the first thing that I said about the play, I said it twice to see if anyone would bite but no one said a word about that pass. So let's not act like it's the french media and francophones. I'm a francophone and I consider PK to be easily the best player on the team by a mile, and I've thought that for a while now. And let's not forget there are quite a few people here who don't seem to think he was even worth 3M (southernsomething and ECHWKSKJIJOJLKMLK). As far as I know they aren't francos. Let's not make this into a language thing.

Quote:
Ya I was very surprised they didn't mention that pass. When Markov does it they always mention it like he's a hockey God.

That pass was sick.
Yet, afaik, no one said anything about it in the GDT.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

P.K. Subban

P.K.'s play since returning

Another shotty photo-shop. Brought to you by Habby birthday.

Last edited by Habbybirthday: 04-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I was the only one to say anything about it in the GDT. It was the first thing that I said about the play, I said it twice to see if anyone would bite but no one said a word about that pass. So let's not act like it's the french media and francophones. I'm a francophone and I consider PK to be easily the best player on the team by a mile, and I've thought that for a while now. And let's not forget there are quite a few people here who don't seem to think he was even worth 3M (southernsomething and ECHWKSKJIJOJLKMLK). As far as I know they aren't francos. Let's not make this into a language thing.

Yet, afaik, no one said anything about it in the GDT.
link, thank you.

Shows how much you know ti gars.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Good article and the writer is correct... Subban is a 6 million dollar player. We're very lucky he was willing to sign for what he did.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:40 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHabs View Post
To sum it up: Offensively he is succeeding, defensively he is a bit shaky. Once he masters his defensive play, he will deserve the huge contract he was seeking.
He still made mistake on defense. But his speed and his physical allowed him to recover. Markov is making a lot of mistakes presently. His injuries and his ages has caught up to him and made it much harder for him to correct his own mistakes.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

That pass was sick.
15pts in 18games...and he's not even close to reaching his peek!
Bergevin just went ''gulp''!!

I've written it many times and will keep writing it...Subban is the best dman to wear the CH jersey. Or...I've never witnessed any other dman in my lifetime who is better than Subban (combination of Chelios/Desjardins/Schneider and add way more speed/skill/talent/style). 60's-70's is just not the same...Subban would skate circles around them...everyone today is bigger/way more faster/way more skilled...and back then almost every player had a 2nd job and looked 45 when they were 25!! (not the same unless we're talking about Orr...only one Orr).

What I like (defensively/offensively/all-heart/iron-man/skill/talent/skating/style/speed/shot/hockey sense/playoff warrior) besides everything is...he's never a sitting duck out there. He knows how to go in the corners without ever making himself vulnerable. And he has 9 lives out there every game! Everyone is out to injure him, kill him...yet he survives every time!! We're so darn lucky to have him!! (and chosen in 2nd Rnd when he should have been top 3 overall that year).

8 mil to Perry??????
No (unless Perry takes a reduced salary to be a Hab).

It's time to save $$$$$$ for Subban.
The best dman in Habs history.

I really don't get some Hab fans that question Subban?
If Subban ever gets injured...forget the playoffs.

And...Subban is a no.1 dman on EVERY team in the NHL...no doubt about that. Any doubts about that, well...you just don't deserve to see Subban in a Hab jersey (imho!).

Old
03-09-2013, 01:38 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
The best dman in Habs history...for now.
come on now...

Closed Thread