HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dion Phaneuf to Edmonton

Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
jayball75

vCash: 500
Phaneuf is a joke and Edmonton should stay far far away. And trading Hall for him is a bigger joke.

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yideboit View Post
First things first, I don't know if this has been posted before ... nor do i care to look for it... so lets just skip the "OMG YOU ARE A BAD HF'ER THIS HAS BEEN POSTED 2345256783 TIMES BEFORE!!!" because i simply don't care!

Edmonton gets:
Dion Phaneuf
Jay McClement/Nikolai Kulemin
+ ?

Toronto gets:
Taylor Hall

Now I know the "+" could be somewhat substantial ... maybe a high-ish end d-prospect + a good pick, but with the struggles that Edmonton is still having is it maybe time to look at building some depth and then re-evaluate? I've also seemed to notice that Edmonton lacks a bit of a spark most games, and doesn't really have that "energy/depth" player to compliment their many elite offensive players.

Also, I (being a Leafs fan) am aware that this could illicit the "why change whats working" or something similar, but I haven't been impressed with Dion's game this year, and frankly, with the risk that Kessel is going to have massive contract demands, I think the Leafs need a plan B if Kessel wants too much!

Would something along these lines be interesting to the Oilers? Not saying this exact deal, but something along the lines of moving one of their big 3 for a young-ish top pairing dman, and some depth/additional futures?

If the Oilers will trade Hall, they could do better than Phaneuf

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
If the Oilers will trade Hall, they could do better than Phaneuf
Agreed, but this proposal is also talking about McClement/Kuli and the mention of Gardiner.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
zeus3007*

Not even close. Phaneuf is overpaid and with his personality, I wouldn't want him even if the Leafs kept half his salary.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Lessy

I'm one of the few Oiler fans that likes Phaneuf and thinks he'd be a good fit in Edmonton. But if you think for a second he'd return one of the big four you're out of your mind. He's a #2 defencemen that is overpaid - that's not getting you a blue-chip established young player.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
MastuhNinks

I love Taylor Hall, value wise Toronto takes this and runs and there is no way Edmonton does this. But taking into account this trade makes zero sense for either team, Toronto trades from their biggest weakness (top-end defensemen) to add to their biggest strength (scoring wingers). Edmonton meanwhile is a rebuilding team who would be trading their best player for a 27 year old.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I'd turn it down. Dion Phaneuf is criminally underrated. Top 10 Dman in the league.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I'd turn it down. Dion Phaneuf is criminally underrated. Top 10 Dman in the league.
You are joking of course?

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
I bet none of you watch the Leafs. We have no one on the roster, absolutely no one ready to replace 25mins on our blue line.

Hall is an enticing piece but not worth giving up our number 1 defender. Offense is the least of our worries right now considering Leafs sit at 6th in Goals per game. Also. Hall hasn't played a full season yet. Phaneuf is worth way more to the Leafs than Hall could at this point in time.

I will be all up for trading Kessel for Hall though.
We saw Dion play one or two games with the Flames--we are not arguing about the fact the cat can play lots of minutes, but playing lots of minutes and doing lots of things with those minutes can some times be a fun task---also, I think the oiler fans may march on Rexall and lynch whomever is there if the oilers trade Hall

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Have you ever watched a Leafs game?

Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
OilCanada92

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:47 PM
MakeTheIronSing

what a bunch of nonsense from Edmonton fans

your d is quite possibly the worst in the league, your best defender has played 23 games of nhl hockey and is still not close to the quality that phaneuf is, get real and give your heads a shake

he would immediately make your team more solid both ways and to say otherwise is just homerism

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Serious question? how many years have to go by before this attitude needs to stop, this was the same song and dance when Hemsky was 20 years old...that was 9 years ago.Good teams use their assets to make a better team,bad teams hold on to them a teach loosing!
When Hemsky was a kid, the Oilers were a completely different team. Filled with pluggers and grinders, hard working, but little skill.

Now the team has a lot of skilled players and is need of pluggers and grinders. I don't think trading the "kids" for those types of players will help the team in the long run. Which is the entire goal of a rebuild, no? To become good for the long term, at the expense of the short term?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post

your d is quite possibly the worst in the league, your best defender has played 23 games of nhl hockey and is still not close to the quality that phaneuf is, get real and give your heads a shake

he would immediately make your team more solid both ways and to say otherwise is just homerism
Phaneuf also has a history that includes being a locker room cancer (Calgary). We need players who work hard, have a positive attitude and know how to win. Phaneuf can work hard, but hasn't proven that he can win at the NHL level, and even though he doesn't seem to be an issue in the Leafs locker room, he was in Calgary and that's enough for me to question how well he would fit in. He certainly isn't worth us giving up any significant pieces for, especially at his salary. Would he make us better on the ice? Probably, but I don't see him solving any problems long term.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:

your d is quite possibly the worst in the league
, your best defender has played 23 games of nhl hockey and is still not close to the quality that phaneuf is, get real and give your heads a shake

Please provide some facts the would prove your theory that the Oilers possibly have the worst D in the League. The stats I've seen their D is more of the middle of the pack and not to far behind the leafs and if not better in some categories.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Please provide some facts the would prove your theory that the Oilers possibly have the worst D in the League. The stats I've seen their D is more of the middle of the pack and not to far behind the leafs and if not better in some categories.
Ok, you have one player who has more than 5 points

5 of your defenseman have a shooting percentage of... 0%, that's out of 8

Ryan Whitney is your 2nd highest assist man, with a galactic 3 assists, Petry has 2 in 23 games played, and thats good enough for 3rd

You have more shots against than any other team in the league, and more losses than any other team when being outshot

The second lowest 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio in the NHL

4th last in win% when leading after 2 periods

Aint looking to good so far is it?

Old
03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Dion Phaneuf: 25 games/ 12PTs/ -10 +/-

Ryan Whitney: 16 games/ 5 pts/ -5 +/-

This was gonna be a joke, but considering how close they "actually" are I find it funny.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
This absolutely boggles my mind.
You think our current D is strong but it is not... Also were in a playoff spot and we kind of have wingers. Kessel, Lupul, Frattin, MacA, JVR, Kulemin(to a degree.) We really do not need another one.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
TheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
So a D of

Kostka - Holzer
Franson - Gunnarsson
Komisarek - Fraser

Nice!
Its not about names on the back of a jeresy but how those names play

As for the Deal its going take more than Dion to get Hall , no way in hell Oilers do that deal.

TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Dion Phaneuf: 25 games/ 12PTs/ -10 +/-

Ryan Whitney: 16 games/ 5 pts/ -5 +/-

This was gonna be a joke, but considering how close they "actually" are I find it funny.
Phaneuf has also played 30 more minutes than any other player in the league.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Thanks...I haven't laughed that hard in awhile!

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Ok, you have one player who has more than 5 points

5 of your defenseman have a shooting percentage of... 0%, that's out of 8

Ryan Whitney is your 2nd highest assist man, with a galactic 3 assists, Petry has 2 in 23 games played, and thats good enough for 3rd

You have more shots against than any other team in the league, and more losses than any other team when being outshot

The second lowest 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio in the NHL

4th last in win% when leading after 2 periods

Aint looking to good so far is it?
Your talking about offensive stats, we're talking about D. If Edmonton's offense started clicking they would improve, but its the scoring at EV's is Edmonton's biggest problem, but if you look at the defensive stats on the whole they are better then TO's. Defensively TO doesn't have a defensive D like Smid, not even close.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Phaneuf has also played 30 more minutes than any other player in the league.
3 mins more then J.Schultz and 4 mins more then Jeff Petry. Don't even.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Your talking about offensive stats, we're talking about D. If Edmonton's offense started clicking they would improve, but its the scoring at EV's is Edmonton's biggest problem, but if you look at the defensive stats on the whole they are better then TO's
That's great, except I didn't post those to compare stats, the stats are not supposed to say they are better than Toronto's, they are supposed to say how awful the Edmonton D is.

Which they are, those stats are an amazing tell tale sign over how terrible the Edmonton D corps is, which is what I wrote.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:30 PM
OilCanada92

Fine! I'll be the Oiler fan to say it. Phaneuf is a overrated punk, who would only fight smaller guys, plus threw big hits and never backed them up. He's a first line defense man that is playing on a hot team that also happens to be toronto. Of course he's declared the best.... HE'S IN TORONTO!!

Sorry but that's the Oil fan dealing with him in Calgary anger poppin out.