HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Evander Kane for Phil Kessel

Old
03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Puckschmuck*

vCash: 500
LOL. Wishful thinking. Ain't gonna happen. End of story.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
I doubt the Jets to the OP as proposed

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by araisarena View Post
Would this be considered a fair deal?
Delusional.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Theres no way Kessel is close to the value of Evander Kane!
Leafs have to add alot more to get Kane.
Kane is younger, bigger and a better all around player than Kessel.
Kane has grit to his game, never afraid to drop gloves against anyone
and he plays a very good defensive game because of his size and
hockey sense. he hits, Scores and makes nice assists.
Kessel is a north - south player. if he doesnt score he's useless...
please don't ever put Kessel and E.Kane on the same thread again
unless a 1st rounder or Van Riemsdyk is included or something
of the same value, and even then i'd still hesitate to trade Kane for that..

Greenstickytoes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Kessel is good player...

But his age, contract and style of play don't fit the Jets coaching or GM's vision.

Besides... The yelling match just shows their passion for the game. After that period Kane got MORE icetime. Doubt it was at all even a small deal.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:35 PM
MastuhNinks

I understand why an organization wouldn't want to do this trade given that Kessel is an upcoming UFA, but it's laughable that people are acting like Kane is a better player than Kessel.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:50 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 2658
Kane is far better at going to the dirty areas to score, far better physically, defensively and he's faster. The only advantage Kessel has is his shot (Kane's is actually not elite, despite his numbers).

Kane also hasn't stopped developing. If you're basing your assessment of his game from last year, you're way off today. He has been better than Kessel was at every point in their respective careers to date and Kane can still be better. He recently signed for 6 years and is significantly younger than Kessel.

You want Kane, as everybody else does, the price is two top-10 picks (which the Leafs won't have) - absolutely no less. Kessel wouldn't be considered.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Kane is far better at going to the dirty areas to score, far better physically, defensively and he's faster. The only advantage Kessel has is his shot (Kane's is actually not elite, despite his numbers).

Kane also hasn't stopped developing. If you're basing your assessment of his game from last year, you're way off today. He has been better than Kessel was at every point in their respective careers to date and Kane can still be better. He recently signed for 6 years and is significantly younger than Kessel.

You want Kane, as everybody else does, the price is two top-10 picks (which the Leafs won't have) - absolutely no less. Kessel wouldn't be considered.
Makes no sense. First, Kessel can be included. He is a very good asset for value and replaces, at least positionally, Kane. Second, no team can guarantee two top 10 picks, and really, if all i'm trading is a pick, shouldn't I be that much better next year? If what you meant to say was no possible way that Kane ever gets traded, than say that

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Kessel + 1st for Kane is closer
Even then I say no. Kane has shown that he is one of the best Jets this year. Even when he's not scoring, he's flying out there and throwing the body.

GoJetsGo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:02 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
...it's laughable that people are acting like Kane is a better player than Kessel.
No, what's laughable is that some Leaf fans are delusional enough to believe that Kessel is the better player moving forward than Kane...that's just foolish talk

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
GoJetsGo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I understand why an organization wouldn't want to do this trade given that Kessel is an upcoming UFA, but it's laughable that people are acting like Kane is a better player than Kessel.
You are 100% correct except for the fact that Kane is a much better player than Phil "Plays as hard as a throw pillow" Kessel.

Kessel has 2 more points in 2 more games than Kane does. Man....he's blowing Kane out of the water. Surely there aren't any other facts that we could look at except for OOOOOOH BAM!:

Hits
Kane: 67
Kessel: 7

Giveaways
Kane: 14
Kessel: 18

Takeaways
Kane: 10
Kessel: 7

SH TOI / Game
Kane: 0:47
Kessel: 0:02

PP TOI / GAME
Kane: 2:30
Kessel: 3:38

Kane does way more out there and scores at a similar level despite seeing over a full minute less of PP time compared to Phil "Feather Boa" Kessel.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
Kessel + 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kane.

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
GoJetsGo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Kessel + 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kane.
Gonna need a conditional 3rd 1st in there just in case Kessel doesn't re-sign

Old
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
KeziaTML

These forums are great for a laugh on even its worst of days.

With the way some of you talk about Kessel, I doubt we could get Tom Kostopoulos for him.

Glad to see that he is "only" a 30-40 goal scorer, that he's way over the hill at the ripe old age of 25 and that he will demand upwards of 8 million per year. (All actual things said in this very thread)

Also, 2 1sts and a 2nd mentioned multiple times. This thread has it all. It's all so very original.

Also in before the obligatory " U MAD BRO?!!!!! "

Last edited by KeziaTML: 03-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
GoJetsGo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
These forums are great for a laugh on even its worst of days.

With the way some of you talk about Kessel, I doubt we could get Tom Kostopoulos for him.

Glad to see that his is "only" a 30-40 goal scorer, that he's way over the hill at the ripe old age of 25 and that he will demand upwards of 8 million per year. (All actual things said in this very thread)
Kessel is a very good goal scorer. I don't think anyone doubts that. His problem is that that is all he is. If he's not scoring, he's invisible.

Now he's being compared to someone who scored 7 less goals yet does everything else better (Kessel may have the edge passing wise). Of course I am going to jump over anyone who says that Kessel is better than Kane when Kane is having a much better year and is younger. That doesn't make Kessel a bad player.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
KeziaTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Kessel is a very good goal scorer. I don't think anyone doubts that. His problem is that that is all he is. If he's not scoring, he's invisible.

Now he's being compared to someone who scored 7 less goals yet does everything else better (Kessel may have the edge passing wise). Of course I am going to jump over anyone who says that Kessel is better than Kane when Kane is having a much better year and is younger. That doesn't make Kessel a bad player.
The only problem is your first statement is completely false. He has 6 goals and 14 assists this year, he is back checking and definitely turning into more of a complete player. He is playing much improved 2 way game.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
How so? Maybe last year, 24 year old Kessel was better than 20 year old Kane. But this year 21 year old Kane is clearly the superior player.
No kidding, how about Kessel for Antropov!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:11 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I hope that Kane will actually evolve a bit more hockey IQ and vision like Kessel has in the past few years. That being said let's compare them...

PK:
Kane wins by default because he's the only one used here, and he's been pretty good in his time there. I'm sure Kessel would be good here, but unsure and partially skeptical if he'd be as good or better.

ES:
Kane wins again. It's seldom known that Kane is one of the top even strength goal scorers in the league.
Last season he was scoring at a faster rate per icetime than Neal, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Kessel, Hartnell, Moulson or Perry (7/10 on the top 10 goal scorers list). Keep in mind he did most of this with his linemates being Alex Burmistrov and Kyle Wellwood... 3rd liners on most team (although Burmi has top6 potential).
Kane is scoring at almost the exact same rate this season while leading the league in shots/game and has almost doubled his primary assist production per minute.
While I think Kessel's defensive abilities are underrated by many, Kane is the only one of the two to consistently out-chance and out-possess their opposition. Also, in the last 3 years, Kane's SA per 60mins has ranged from 24-28, while Kessel's has ranged from 29-34.

PP:
Kessel has a very clean win. Stats may make it seem closer than it is. While last season Kane actually scored more per min of PP time than Kessel, Kane relies too much on his speed and I'd still say Kessel is better here. If Kane does gain some hockey IQ to work the PP better (or Jets' learn how to use him on the PP better), than you'll probably see Kane on the bottom 5 of the top10 goal scorers list for quite a few years.

When you add youth, grit, hitting, going to dirty areas, and contract, it is understandable why a Jets' fan can conclude Evander Kane to trump Phil Kessel.
Personally I say it's close enough that subjective preferences can skew it either way.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:14 PM
TorontoTrades

lol people spend too much time on HFBoards if Kessel is worth as little as most of you claim

25 years old coming off four straight 30+ goal seasons.

and to all the "omfg Kane has gotten so much better"

haven't watch Kessel play this year... he's much better defensively and has become an all around offensive player with his much improved playmaking skills.

TorontoTrades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Kane's a little punk. No way I want a guy with YMCM or whatever the **** it is on my team love him as a player hate him as a person and not the type or player I want on my team...
Why do you hate him as a person. What exactly do you know about him as a person?

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Norm MacDonald

Kessel is a superior player to Kane at the moment. Maybe that could change, but Kane still has a lot to prove to reach the Phil's level. Skating hard into the zone and taking several crappy shots from the outside will only get you so far. There's a reason the production of his linemates is virtually non existant.

Also, you can't just ignore how dominant Kessel was last season, and crucify him for being "good" this season (though still better than Kane).

Last edited by Norm MacDonald: 03-08-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
lol people spend too much time on HFBoards if Kessel is worth as little as most of you claim

25 years old coming off four straight 30+ goal seasons.

and to all the "omfg Kane has gotten so much better"

haven't watch Kessel play this year... he's much better defensively and has become an all around offensive player with his much improved playmaking skills.
So, I truly think Kessel will have a 100 point season one of these years and while I can't say I've watched a whole lot of Leafs this year, during last nights game vs BOS I noted a shift with the puck in the Leafs zone or on the Leafs side of the redline the entire time...and Kessel never leaving the neutral zone. Lets not start giving him a Selke yet.

Look, Kessel is a lightening rod. Because of the market, because of the trade, his odd personality, and because he plays a style that fits some teams more than others, it hard for anyone to have an honest take on what his value is. Right now I'd say he is a better player than Kane, although at each age, Kane has been better than Kessel. Does that mean that Kane will always be better than Kessel at the same age? No. The contracts make this trade a poor one, however, if this was a fantasy draft, I don't think you could fault anyone for taking one over the other.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:06 PM
v00d00daddy

I don't care who would do the trade or not but people need to realize that Kessel put up more points than Kane when he was 21 (in fewer games no less) AND has put up 4 straight 30 goal seasons AND was a point per game player last year where he put up 12 fewer assists than Kane had points. (Kane 57 pts, Kessel 45 assists)

Not to mention that Kessel is outscoring him again this year when he's not even playing all that well every night.

Kane MAY become the better player but right now he's not even close to being in Kessels league.

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Hennig
If we can resign Kessel for an reasonable amount than for values sake jets would need to add. I understand the jets wanting nothing to do with proposal because of Kessels contract uncertainty though.

Kessel is a better goal scorer, better vision, playmaking, speed, shot.. just because Kane hits doesn't make Kessel an inferior player. That's almost as dumb as me saying Kulemin is more valuable than a Patty Kane because Kulemin hits. Ignoring Kessel elite skills just because he doesn't hit is absolutely absurd. That's the player he is, get over it.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
I don't care who would do the trade or not but people need to realize that Kessel put up more points than Kane when he was 21 (in fewer games no less) AND has put up 4 straight 30 goal seasons AND was a point per game player last year where he put up 12 fewer assists than Kane had points. (Kane 57 pts, Kessel 45 assists)

Not to mention that Kessel is outscoring him again this year when he's not even playing all that well every night.

Kane MAY become the better player but right now he's not even close to being in Kessels league.
Kane is 21 this year, he was 20 last season. In Kessels 20 year old year he had 37 points in 82 games. Last year at 20 Kane had 57 points in 74 games.

Kane is a better player than Kessel this year. Unless you think Kessels .02 ppg over Kanes is worth the much less physical play? Or the worse defensive game?

So we have a guy with 10 times as many hits (in 2 less games ) with a +2 on a team thats -11, that is a top penalty killer.

Or the guy with .02 ppg higher that is scared of going into corners and who doesn't Pk at all. Minus 2 on a team that's plus 10.

How exactly is Kessel better this year?

Last edited by JetsHomer: 03-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.
JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote