HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Preds hey

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 500
You guys have beat us five of the last seven and are two points behind us with the same amount of game played. I like praise and all, but we're a pretty bad team right now. Playing the waiver wire pickups is either A) going to look smart because they're playing for their NHL lives for the most part, B) look dumb because they'll look lost and someone will forget what team he is playing for and shoot it into our own net. With our luck lately, the latter would not surprise me.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
You guys have beat us five of the last seven and are two points behind us with the same amount of game played. I like praise and all, but we're a pretty bad team right now. Playing the waiver wire pickups is either A) going to look smart because they're playing for their NHL lives for the most part, B) look dumb because they'll look lost and someone will forget what team he is playing for and shoot it into our own net. With our luck lately, the latter would not surprise me.
We've had 4 wins in the last 17 games. We're a negative bunch.

At least one of us will win.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Man... even the media is becoming increasingly cynical and bitter about this team (on Twitter). I wish they actually exuded this level of criticism in their columns/blogs instead of saving it for tweets. Maybe the Oilers do own the media in this city.
I've been wondering about this, being swedish I don't know the media culture in Edmonton or even Canada that well. Is it common for players, coaches and management to not get criticized in interviews?

Because whilst not being as apocalyptic about this team as everyone else on these boards and actually agreeing with not making any major moves at this point in rebuilding, frustrating as it may be, I'd most definitely like to see the players, coaches and management with their backs against the wall answering some tough questions at times.

For example I'd like to see someone ask Eberle why he seems so uninterested out there? Where his hustle is, if he thinks he's already arrived as a top quality NHLer?
When Whitney complained about not playing, why didn't any reporters suggest it might have been because he sucked big time to start the season?
And why is it that whenever Krueger talks about "our game plan" every reporter just swallows it and not one asks if he cares to elaborate exactly what that plan is since we're halfway through the season and the team looks less structured than at the beginning? Or ask him why the so called accountability goes for some guys but not others?
And why haven't I seen anyone ask Tambo if he honestly believes that adding a 5 min/night guy is the goto move to improve the team? Or if he still thinks the rebuild is on track?

Ofc you can't be too blunt, but a skilled reporter should be able to ask these questions without coming off as a complete dick. And sometimes you have to live with guys walking off.

Could be I'm not familiar with the tougher reporters and I've missed the guys calling people out but it seems to me everyone is just asking the same old neutral or buttkissing questions all the time. Is this just the way media works in Canada/Edmonton or around the NHL?

Also I'm not saying the players, Krueger and Tambellini don't have solid answers to these questions but I'd like to hear them.

And yeah, maybe not a "tough" question but someone please please please ask Yakupov why the hell he's not shooting everytime he enters the zone instead of making low percentage passes that leads to turnovers when he's got one of the best shots in probably the league?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
...still better than Oilers effort.

Is this the 1st drunk gdt the Oilers board has seen?
No, I can say with confidence its not..

Great stream of consciousness random thought GDT btw. Reminds of how the Oilers play.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
The only thing more embarrassing than reading this board lately (for the most part), is watching our team try to play competitive hockey.

Sigh...
Welcome to the darkside.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
We've had 4 wins in the last 17 games. We're a negative bunch.

At least one of us will win.
Also I think we've only won 4 games in regulation time all year. Although I didn't check, didn't put in any effort, and didn't dig in the corners for that stat.

I'll conduct myself in this thread as if I don't care, won't lay any hits, and whatever happens happens.

World is good, its friday, who gives a flying..

Old
03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
The way we're playing I'm not convinced we'd beat your AHL affiliation.

j/K

kind of

The wheels fell off on this roadtrip by the time we hit Columbus, this club is a burned out shell confidence wise. When even Gagner looks depressed you know things are bad.

Now add that theres no time to recover, regroup for this game, we have one goalie, few capable D, no set lines (none) and no lines going (none) and it should be a barn burner.

That said I've been surprised before. This club has a habit of sometimes rebounding when they've been in a horrible spell.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This team is making me miss the lockout.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Njoy Oilers

Gonna go watch some shinny hockey tonite. Heart and soul stuff, you know.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Gonna go watch some shinny hockey tonite. Heart and soul stuff, you know.
we envy u deeply,

wonder what its like watching a team play with heart.

Honestly, i'd pay 700 dollars to watch the oil kings play in the playoffs. They play with confidence, heart and determination, we have either, in fact, we pretty much have the completel opposite.

definitely buying that 99 dollar playoff thing

Old
03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
we envy u deeply,

wonder what its like watching a team play with heart.

Honestly, i'd pay 700 dollars to watch the oil kings play in the playoffs. They play with confidence, heart and determination, we have either, in fact, we pretty much have the completel opposite.

definitely buying that 99 dollar playoff thing
I wish. Southern Alberta. My wife pointed out that the liquor is disappearing at an alarming rate lately, and we needed to take a break from the Oilers.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 2516
i want Yann Danis to start.
here, i said it.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
I've been wondering about this, being swedish I don't know the media culture in Edmonton or even Canada that well. Is it common for players, coaches and management to not get criticized in interviews?

Because whilst not being as apocalyptic about this team as everyone else on these boards and actually agreeing with not making any major moves at this point in rebuilding, frustrating as it may be, I'd most definitely like to see the players, coaches and management with their backs against the wall answering some tough questions at times.

For example I'd like to see someone ask Eberle why he seems so uninterested out there? Where his hustle is, if he thinks he's already arrived as a top quality NHLer?
When Whitney complained about not playing, why didn't any reporters suggest it might have been because he sucked big time to start the season?
And why is it that whenever Krueger talks about "our game plan" every reporter just swallows it and not one asks if he cares to elaborate exactly what that plan is since we're halfway through the season and the team looks less structured than at the beginning? Or ask him why the so called accountability goes for some guys but not others?
And why haven't I seen anyone ask Tambo if he honestly believes that adding a 5 min/night guy is the goto move to improve the team? Or if he still thinks the rebuild is on track?

Ofc you can't be too blunt, but a skilled reporter should be able to ask these questions without coming off as a complete dick. And sometimes you have to live with guys walking off.

Could be I'm not familiar with the tougher reporters and I've missed the guys calling people out but it seems to me everyone is just asking the same old neutral or buttkissing questions all the time. Is this just the way media works in Canada/Edmonton or around the NHL?

Also I'm not saying the players, Krueger and Tambellini don't have solid answers to these questions but I'd like to hear them.

And yeah, maybe not a "tough" question but someone please please please ask Yakupov why the hell he's not shooting everytime he enters the zone instead of making low percentage passes that leads to turnovers when he's got one of the best shots in probably the league?
It's probably a North American culture thing to be quite honest. We're taught to worship these people and treat them like they're infallible. These... athletes get paid a tonne of money for results and the media coddles them even when times are bad. They're completely afraid to ask the tough questions. That problem also extends to the management and coaching staff. Jason Gregor interviewed Tambellini on Tuesday and asked him if he thought a major shake-up was necessary. Tambellini's response? "Well major shake-up? What are you suggesting?" And Gregor didn't really press the issue.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I miss the lockout too but maybe... maybe this is a good thing. Can you imagine if we lost the entire season and Tambellini tried to sell this group to us at the start of next year? Yikes...

Old
03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
bone
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's probably a North American culture thing to be quite honest. We're taught to worship these people and treat them like they're infallible. These... athletes get paid a tonne of money and the media coddles them even when times are bad. They're completely afraid to ask the tough questions. That problem also extends to the management and coaching staff. Jason Gregor interviewed Tambellini on Tuesday and asked him if he thought a major shake-up was necessary. Tambellini's response? "Well major shake-up? What are you suggesting?" And Gregor didn't really press the issue.
That's the exact type of quote that makes me think the entire organization is oblivious to the situation. Just like every post game where the players and coach are saying that it was a great game short of some bad bounces and what not. And Kruegers ongoing dialog of all games being close except the San Jose game. It's like they don't even realize how badly they've been playing for the past month or so.

Pace wise they are actually worse than last year as they are on pace for a minus 40 goal differential. They have allowed the opposition to go 15-4-4. That would be good for the 3rd best record in the league. They are in a world of hurt, and they need to realize it and stop thinking they are so close. Get mad, and go out there and prove they can win rather than hope for bounces and close games.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
That's taking it a bit too far.
At least we can enjoy the canucks losing to columbus, the flames poised for another 9th place finish, and the best rivalry in pro sports IMO, Pens-Flyers

Old
03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
DJ EarWax

3-1 Nashville

Old
03-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
That's the exact type of quote that makes me think the entire organization is oblivious to the situation. Just like every post game where the players and coach are saying that it was a great game short of some bad bounces and what not. And Kruegers ongoing dialog of all games being close except the San Jose game. It's like they don't even realize how badly they've been playing for the past month or so.

Pace wise they are actually worse than last year as they are on pace for a minus 40 goal differential. They have allowed the opposition to go 15-4-4. That would be good for the 3rd best record in the league. They are in a world of hurt, and they need to realize it and stop thinking they are so close. Get mad, and go out there and prove they can win rather than hope for bounces and close games.
I don't think that they're completely oblivious about it they're just trying to protect their jobs in lieu of their failures. They're trying to trick "Joe Fan" into thinking that the team is close, that things aren't as bad as the standings would indicate.

Look at MacT... a guy who I generally consider to be a fairly bright hockey guy. Three weeks ago in the SUN he talked about the Oilers' development and commented "The pain is almost over." There's no way that he still believes that. This is the same man who would routinely go into GM Kevin Lowe's office and lament that he didn't have the pieces to win.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
I wish. Southern Alberta. My wife pointed out that the liquor is disappearing at an alarming rate lately, and we needed to take a break from the Oilers.
oh yeah, so true. i've even started to drink mouth wash in the absence of liquor in my house, its the only way to numb the pain that is the 0ilers

Old
03-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
i want Yann Danis to start.
here, i said it.
Makes sense. Guy has inferior stats to Dubnyk in a much inferior league. It would go pretty well with the philosophy of the Oilers these days.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Time To Nut Up or Shut Up

The three best efforts of the season coming up the next three games and all will be well in Oiler land once again! I got a feeling or was that just a bad batch of nachos?!?!

Old
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post

I doubt the org is oblivious... but yes they do act like it.

It's easy enough for a blind man to see they are outshot, outhit and generally outplayed in every area on most nights. I'm sure Krueger and management are very well aware of that as well.

They don't come out and say we suck and are useless because the facts are that the team is young and is in a rebuild and that's a strong crutch not to do anything drastic about it. They are being patient... to a fault in most people's eyes at this point.

Time and patience is what they are expecting to fix this team... it may take years as the team grows and continues to develop... and management (and Katz) are clearly ok with that at this point. The 4-6 year time window for them to develop into a contender is "on pace".

They are either in year 3/4 whichever way you want to look at it. I would say year 3 as the blow up year when they drafted Hall was the 1st and this is the 3rd season following that. I think management is fully prepared and happy to patiently wait for this team to develop into a contender... could take another 2-3 years according to their timeline.

They may be deluded but I don't question the resilience of Katz and management to hold steady and do very little to accelerate this rebuild by acquiring major pieces. I think we'll continue to see lip service paid to improving the team and only minor/peripheral pieces added.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

You know what, screw it.

Go Predators. There's a real hockey team that gives a damn. I say we all cheer for them tonight!

Old
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Also I think we've only won 4 games in regulation time all year. Although I didn't check, didn't put in any effort, and didn't dig in the corners for that stat.

I'll conduct myself in this thread as if I don't care, won't lay any hits, and whatever happens happens.

World is good, its friday, who gives a flying..
you have to very seriously make the occasional inane comment. it can be your equivilant of Dubnyk giving up a soft goal.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
oh yeah, so true. i've even started to drink mouth wash in the absence of liquor in my house, its the only way to numb the pain that is the 0ilers
I can't even do that. my mouthwash has zero alcohol.

Closed Thread