HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management

Old
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
What credit is due?

a) the leafs hasn't made the playoffs yet. the season is not over.
b) even assuming the leafs do make the playoffs, that's one year in five, and only AFTER he's been fired. for all you know, he could have made a move (i.e. trade for luongo) that could have derailed the playoffs and that's why he was fired this year.
c) the leafs are the only team in the league post 2004 lockout to have failed to qualify for the playoffs every single year.

Let that last one sink in. You want to hire this guy?
I'm not a burke fan, and don't know if he would be good for this team, but I'd rather have Burke than tambo.
your c) comnment means little. sure the leafs haven't made the playoffs, but the Oilers have had the worst record in the entire league since that same lockout.
despite how pathetic Columbus, the Islanders, and yes Toronto have been, the Oilers have been worse. fact.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

If we do go after new management, my only demand is that we target people from successful franchises.

No more Oiler related folks.

Target someone from Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago hell even LAK.

Between those four, get someone who has seen what is necessary to guide a team from rebuilding to cup contender.

03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Teamcanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If we do go after new management, my only demand is that we target people from successful franchises.

Between those four, get someone who has seen what is necessary to guide a team from rebuilding to cup contender.
This is gonna sound sarcastic but would you get Ron Hextall as the GM?

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

I'll bet that even managers and coaches are shunning us now. The players started a nasty trend.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'll bet that even managers and coaches are shunning us now. The players started a nasty trend.
Likely. People keep crowing for Jim Nill or someone similar. Why on earth would they leave a comfy job in Detroit to come to a dump like this?

It could be that the only reason Tamby's still around is because they can't find a suitable replacement...

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I think you're underestimating the importance the team puts on having good PR with the fans. I think it's a lot like what happens with the government and the people; even if they don't care about us or what we think they at least have to act like they do.

I based this belief of mine in a prediction I made after the Oilers fired Renney. I'm sticking to it for now. It went as follows: Krueger is the last coach Tambo will be hiring for us. If fan confidence hits rock bottom again, as it seems to have right now, then we will see a change at GM. Whether or not the new GM keeps Krueger is his decision, but I think he'll give him at least another year. As for the GM spot, a few thought Lowe would take over, but I disagree. Lowe has got the perfect job right now -- all the power he wants but none of the public scrutiny -- why would he give that up? No, they tipped their hands when MacT brought back into the fold. He will be the next GM of this team, and then he and Lowe will assume a very similar relationship that Lowe has with Tambo now, where MacT handles the mundane, day to day affairs but Lowe having the final say on anything significant.
This all seems realistic to me.(which is depressing as hell) But you need to figure out where Howson figures into this. You know he'll be back.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Asher

Quote:

I'll say it again, they should make a huge offer for Jim Nill. As much as I think the Wings benefited from an uneven playing field I get the feeling Nill is a good executive. And while I don't really blame Krueger for this team's failures I would mid getting Lindy Ruff too. Two Alberta guys that made good elsewhere. Bring them both back home!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
This is gonna sound sarcastic but would you get Ron Hextall as the GM?
I'd absolutely consider him. The guy learned the ropes with the Flyers being a pro scout for one of the better pro scouting teams in the league. He then went to the Kings and ran the Manchester Monarchs while also helping the Pro team's day-to-day activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Nah. Say your a guy like Jason Botterill of the Penguins, with Ray Shero the GM for the next little while, he'll probably jump on any opportunity to be a GM.

A guy like Nill, probably not, but a guy like Botterill I can easily see. Same with Marc Bergevin(sp?) who left Chicago to go to the then circus that was Montreal.

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Asher

Quote:
I'd absolutely consider him. The guy learned the ropes with the Flyers being a pro scout for one of the better pro scouting teams in the league. He then went to the Kings and ran the Manchester Monarchs while also helping the Pro team's day-to-day activities.

Nah. Say your a guy like Jason Botterill of the Penguins, with Ray Shero the GM for the next little while, he'll probably jump on any opportunity to be a GM.

A guy like Nill, probably not, but a guy like Botterill I can easily see. Same with Marc Bergevin(sp?) who left Chicago to go to the then circus that was Montreal.
I don't think you could get any GM who has been around as long as Lowe is there. GM's want autonomy, not a job where they have to walk around with Lowe holding them on a leash.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Hockey Nightmare

One thing I like about Burke is at the last draft lottery you could tell he just HATED being there.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Oh yeah I would absolutely consider Ron Hextall for GM.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:27 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
One thing I like about Burke is at the last draft lottery you could tell he just HATED being there.
It's gotta feel a lot like a dinner for schmucks type situation. A gathering of the biggest losers to see who takes home the biggest welfare prize for being the luckiest loser. 3 cheers for the handicapped.

They should all arrive on the shortbus together and hold hands as they file into the studio.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

I think Tambi is here for at least 1 more season after this. If he did not improve the 29th place team at all, and still got a multi-year extension, i would say that this has all been part of the plan. I am sure Katz doesn't care about winning at this point. He sells out every game, and i bet he makes just as much of marketing another young star like Jones or Mackinnon than he does from playoffs.

Did anyone really think that the same team that came in 29th last year would be that much improved by adding two rookies? As painful as it is for a hardcore fan, i have accepted the inevitable, and now just really hope that this is the last tank job. At least in a 48 game season it is slightly less painful.

Now just looking at the positives! The original big 3 are playing pretty well with the switch from sheltered minutes, to now facing other teams top lines. Nuge will get going again, and i love that he has been a defensive giant this season. Just playing them like this alone is keeping our wins down, as i am sure that line would be much more productive if they were playing against lesser comp. Both of our rookies are playing well also.

Last July after the Smyth signing, Tambi was asked the question if he would make a big splash in free agency, and he replied something along the lines of "I am not sure we are there yet, probably next year". Seems like this is the plan, and i really hope it is the last time this is allowed to happen.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
I think Tambi is here for at least 1 more season after this.
I think the shortened season gives both him and Krueger an excuse that will keep them on for at least the start of next season but if we come out of the gates as stale as we've been all this season I dont think either lasts until the half way point. I expect action in the summer, some moves of substance hopefully but if they fall short MacT will be interim coach and Lowe interim GM.

Personally I'd can them all now but doubt that happens.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:59 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
It's gotta feel a lot like a dinner for schmucks type situation. A gathering of the biggest losers to see who takes home the biggest welfare prize for being the luckiest loser. 3 cheers for the handicapped.

They should all arrive on the shortbus together and hold hands as they file into the studio.
Haha, just pictured this with them all wearing hockey helmets..

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
I think Tambi is here for at least 1 more season after this. .
I think we need to send Karsa after Tambi to see if he gets any kind of message.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm not a burke fan, and don't know if he would be good for this team, but I'd rather have Burke than tambo.
your c) comnment means little. sure the leafs haven't made the playoffs, but the Oilers have had the worst record in the entire league since that same lockout.
despite how pathetic Columbus, the Islanders, and yes Toronto have been, the Oilers have been worse. fact.
Yup, I'm not disagreeing that the Oilers aren't worse than Toronto.

I'm stating that Burke's stint in Toronto is not in any way complimentary to hiring him as the next gm.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Haha, Dan Tencer tweeted this an hour ago.

Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
This is my favourite piece of mail. Ever. pic.twitter.com/GkeqG5RoCd
You should really lay off on the Canucks bashing considering the state of the Oilers, Danny Boy. Besides, that kid probably used to be an Oilers fan. Great operation Katz and friends are running. Killing fandom early.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Oilersfan2487

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Yeah, lets jump the gun and trade our young guys before they are anywhere near their primes, because everyone here is too impatient to handle a team trying to grow into the NHL. Look how long Quebec/Colorado was ****** before they came to the forefront, same with Pittsburgh and Chicago.

I guess with the fanbase we have here though, and their history for running players out of town, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one of the kids gets run out.
Very interesting that you mention Quebec/Colorado. Did you know that by the time they won the Stanley Cup in 1995-1996, the three first overall picks Eric Lindros, Owen Nolan And Mats Sundin, were no longer with the team.

We will not get the Patrick Roy gift they received that year. We will not get the six players they received for Eric Lindros.

We need better goaltending and better defense, with character and pride. Then the young guys will understand what it takes to win and they will have the support behind them to succeed offensively. Today, we do not have the right pieces back there. IMHO

Oilersfan2487 is offline   Reply With Quote