HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
p9ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I like what has happened so far in terms of Huberdeau adapting to the speed of the NHL. DT drafted him because of his character and mental toughness too. Kid's a true pro.
I wasn't to high on him when we drafted him, I thought there was a lot of hype because of his amazing championship playoffs, but he proved to be a great choice!

Old
03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Sorry, wrong thread.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Ok, tank is back on. But saying we're tanking is misleading, this team isn't losing to get a high pick, they're losing because they're full of AHL call-ups and terrible defensively. No tank needed, they'll lose plenty trying as hard as they can to win.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Ok, tank is back on. But saying we're tanking is misleading, this team isn't losing to get a high pick, they're losing because they're full of AHL call-ups and terrible defensively. No tank needed, they'll lose plenty trying as hard as they can to win.
I agree. I feel really bad for Dineen though, the guy is trying his best with what he has.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
GernBlanston

I have found it REALLY hard to watch the last couple of games, mostly because I'm emotionally torn about the tanking. As a former Thrashers fan and a secondary Panthers fan during the Atlanta years, I had grown used to futility. But I really felt like we had turned a corner. I now realize that it was premature. It's time to face up to it and see if we can get some value out of some of our (underachieving) vets, get a top 5 pick in the draft (I call Drouin), and move forward.

So I got to thinking... who, in my mind, is off limits right now? Who do we not entertain the thought of moving? My list of keepers (some go without saying, but I'll say them anyway - also, I'm not counting the Rookies / AHL callups. I'm assuming they all stay unless they're part of a trade to pick up a great piece):

Goal:
Markstrom

D:
Guds
Kuli (Yah - I still think he's gonna be great, or close to it)
Campbell (we'd be SO much worse without him - and that's scary)
Weaver (often our most consistently hard working Dman)

Forwards:
The Kid Line (duh)
Kopecky
Versteeg
Skille
Smithson (one of the best 4th line centers in the game right now, imo - great face off guy to boot).

I'd like to keep Matthias and Bergenheim (if he ever suits up again at all), but I don't think I can really put them on the "hands-off" list.

I'm still annoyed that we lost any chance of getting anything of value for Weiss or Theo, but not much sense in whining.

Thoughts? Anyone else on your "do not touch" list? Anyone on mine that makes you think I was dropped on my head as a baby?

Old
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I agree. I feel really bad for Dineen though, the guy is trying his best with what he has.
Amen. I really hope he doesn't take the fall for this train-wreck of a season.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
Amen. I really hope he doesn't take the fall for this train-wreck of a season.
I dont think that is the case because he was Tallon's guy, unlike PDB.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont think that is the case because he was Tallon's guy, unlike PDB.
I'm with ya. After nearly winning the Jack Adams (isn't that the award for coach of the year?) last year, I think he has a nice little buffer, on top of the fact that he's DT's guy.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
I have found it REALLY hard to watch the last couple of games, mostly because I'm emotionally torn about the tanking. As a former Thrashers fan and a secondary Panthers fan during the Atlanta years, I had grown used to futility. But I really felt like we had turned a corner. I now realize that it was premature. It's time to face up to it and see if we can get some value out of some of our (underachieving) vets, get a top 5 pick in the draft (I call Drouin), and move forward.

So I got to thinking... who, in my mind, is off limits right now? Who do we not entertain the thought of moving? My list of keepers (some go without saying, but I'll say them anyway - also, I'm not counting the Rookies / AHL callups. I'm assuming they all stay unless they're part of a trade to pick up a great piece):

Goal:
Markstrom

D:
Guds
Weaver (often our most consistently hard working Dman)

Forwards:
The Kid Line (duh)
Kopecky
Versteeg
Skille
Smithson (one of the best 4th line centers in the game right now, imo - great face off guy to boot).

I'd like to keep Matthias and Bergenheim (if he ever suits up again at all), but I don't think I can really put them on the "hands-off" list.

I'm still annoyed that we lost any chance of getting anything of value for Weiss or Theo, but not much sense in whining.

Thoughts? Anyone else on your "do not touch" list? Anyone on mine that makes you think I was dropped on my head as a baby?

Goc is untouchable. He provides stability to the bottom lines. Great faceoffs, hustle, Hockey I.Q., hustles. He doesnt stand out because he does the little things right. I would like him to be more aggressive with his forecheck. Let him play out his contract so players like Trochek or Knight can earn his spot.

I'm not sold on skille, sure he is a burst of energy, skates fast and hits but I think he is too selfish. He is horrible with his positioning in both ends of the ice. I guess he would be a good 4th liner in the future, but at what contract cost and what player spot? I secretly root for him on many nights I have to admit. Hopefully he proves my wrong. Feels like he is playing for a contract.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:44 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
Goc is untouchable. He provides stability to the bottom lines. Great faceoffs, hustle, Hockey I.Q., hustles. He doesnt stand out because he does the little things right. I would like him to be more aggressive with his forecheck. Let him play out his contract so players like Trochek or Knight can earn his spot.

I'm not sold on skille, sure he is a burst of energy, skates fast and hits but I think he is too selfish. He is horrible with his positioning in both ends of the ice. I guess he would be a good 4th liner in the future, but at what contract cost and what player spot? I secretly root for him on many nights I have to admit. Hopefully he proves my wrong. Feels like he is playing for a contract.
I like Goc a lot, but the reasons(s) he didn't make my list are that a) he's very solid, but not irreplaceable and I'm not sure he's really a "core" guy in the long run, and b) that he's one of the few guys not on my list that I feel like has any real trade value. I'm assuming best-case, of course, where we're only getting rid of guys to get something of value in return... I have no desire just to dump salary or clean house (with the possible exception of Kuba).

Skille is often the hardest working guy on the ice. If he had even a below-average scoring touch, he'd be a consistent 30 goal guy. But I think the other things he brings to the table more than make up for the fact that you're only gonna get 20 points out of him on a good year. LOVE me some Jack Skille.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

I read an article yesterday that talked about who might be available at the deadline. It mentioned Goc & Kopy, which make sense because they are worth something. Nobody will take ours scraps.

It also mentioned Mules. He'd probably be our best chip but I hope we can keep him and he re-signs with us. But if he doesn't want to, I can't blame him. We're terrible.

-ghoste

Old
03-08-2013, 06:25 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I read an article yesterday that talked about who might be available at the deadline. It mentioned Goc & Kopy, which make sense because they are worth something. Nobody will take ours scraps.

It also mentioned Mules. He'd probably be our best chip but I hope we can keep him and he re-signs with us. But if he doesn't want to, I can't blame him. We're terrible.

-ghoste
I think parting with Kopecky would be dumb. He's been our best player not named Huberdeau, Shore, or Mueller this year. I really hope that Mueller has enough imagination to envision a career playing on a line with the aforementioned kids and THAT is enough motivation to keep him around.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:34 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

yea I don't think we need to try to tank this year, it will just happen. I would like to get some extra picks though by trading away players if possible. I also think we should buy out Upshall.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Yeah, I agree. But it makes me feel better when there's a goal to all this ****.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:16 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Mueller is restricted guys, so he isnt going anywhere. And I really dont see Tallon getting rid of his guy Kopecky. Goc I could see go, but with him, Kopecky, and Bergenheim here next season, it gives us one of the best 3rd lines in the game.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:41 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Goal:
Markstrom

D:
Guds

Forwards:
The Kid Line (duh)
Flash

There's mine

Old
03-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Were officially last in the league. CLB up 3-0 against DET

Old
03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Were officially last in the league. CLB up 3-0 against DET
We were already below them but yeah, same difference. I'm not worried about Columbus anymore. Like I've said before, they battle regardless so they should continue to collect points.

-ghoste

Old
03-09-2013, 04:17 PM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

Nothing is worse than being last in the league and getting laughed at. But this season, I'll take it. Looking forward to the draft and definitely looking forward to the offseason.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I'm not disheartened by this season, it sucks but there's a lot to it. Injuries have destroyed us and it's a shortened season, those are never true to team potential. Sure there are guys who aren't playing up to their par, but with so many guys injured, no camp, others out of shape, who knows where we'd be if those things weren't the case.

So we suck ass this season, get a lot of kids some NHL time, and get a top pick to go with our prospect pool? Works for this guy! Hope it's the last time we see this type of season for a looooong time though.

03-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm not disheartened by this season, it sucks but there's a lot to it. Injuries have destroyed us and it's a shortened season, those are never true to team potential. Sure there are guys who aren't playing up to their par, but with so many guys injured, no camp, others out of shape, who knows where we'd be if those things weren't the case.

So we suck ass this season, get a lot of kids some NHL time, and get a top pick to go with our prospect pool? Works for this guy! Hope it's the last time we see this type of season for a looooong time though.
I just wish this was a season there was a clear cut super #1 prospect available at the draft. Each time we're picking #1 this is not the case.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.

Quote:
I just wish this was a season there was a clear cut super #1 prospect available at the draft. Each time we're picking #1 this is not the case.
I'd say that's a long shot within a long shot. To have a Crosby available within that draft that you pick first, is a long, long shot. But MacKinnon would do.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:01 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
If we finish last there is a 75% chance we WON'T be picking first.

So it's a great season to finish last.

Hopefully when we lose the lottery someone else goes defense #1

Old
03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Thought that before I read up a bit on this draft. It's a deep one but, MacKinnon is clear cut IMO. Just ask this..

If you're a team without an identity, do you have the stones to pass on a prospect with MacKinnon's attributes?

Old
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Im glad, if there were one we would find a way to not get him.

Closed Thread