HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
  #1
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,520
vCash: 500
Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Continue.

joe89 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
  #2
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
I'm surprised this isn't titled "The Prospects Strike Back"

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
  #3
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,796
vCash: 612
Video of the Jokerit skills competition from Wednesday, Pulkkinen's shot at 1:50:


Jussi is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
  #4
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
What's funny in that video is that first you have the three 6'4-6'5 & 210-230 lbs defensemen give it a try and after them comes this 5'11/180 lbs kid who beats them all.

Marchenko and CSKA started their 2nd round series today, lost 3-0. Marchenko played 12:15 which is more than in any of the 1st round games. I saw a bit of the game and he looked solid, a very calm d-man.


Last edited by ChadS: 03-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.
ChadS is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  #5
TNigs
Registered User
 
TNigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Would he be drafted early back in 2009 or already be in the NHL is he was close to Myers?
You never know, maybe the kid was playing basketball back then.

TNigs is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 09:47 PM
  #6
Jurky
#FireHolland
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Don't know if it was posted already but Sproul was named OHL's defenceman of the month.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments...n-of-the-month

Jurky is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
  #7
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Video of the Jokerit skills competition from Wednesday, Pulkkinen's shot at 1:50:

100mph is pretty damn good, especially for someone his size.

Frk It is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
  #8
cjm502
#FireHolland
 
cjm502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
You have to think his shot will only get harder in a few years.

cjm502 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
  #9
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
You have to think his shot will only get harder in a few years.
More important is that it gets more accurate in his case.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
  #10
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
More important is that it gets more accurate in his case.
if Sammy can make it.....

Frk It is online now  
Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
  #11
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
if Sammy can make it.....
Half of Sammy's shots are stupid and weak, but generally on net. Although the guy never saw a shot he didn't like and then took. Tatar, Frk and Pulkkinen has a habit of punishing the glass a little too much. I hope it will get better and it should a little bit. Pulkkinen could use a little quicker release too in my opinion.

With Pulkkinen, Frk and Sproul coming along there is one thing though, the Wings will have some very big shots and lots of welts if you want to play pack it in D.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
  #12
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

I hope and expect that the smaller rink and less time will force him to let it go quicker. Btw, in addition to shooting wide a lot his shot totals and therefore shot% are a bit inflated because he often tends to dump the puck at the goalie to get off.zone faceoffs at the end of a shift.

Here's the latest RedWings Central article, I don't think it was posted yet: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/...hat-jurco-can/

ChadS is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
  #13
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

I hope and expect that the smaller rink and less time will force him to let it go quicker. Btw, in addition to shooting wide a lot his shot totals and therefore shot% are a bit inflated because he often tends to dump the puck at the goalie to get off.zone faceoffs at the end of a shift.

Here's the latest RedWings Central article, I don't think it was posted yet: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/...hat-jurco-can/
Glad to hear about Jurco's work ethic that is a very good thing. He needs to shoot more and work a little on his skating and explosiveness this offseason in my opinion. He has the tools, I just think he needs to get that half a step and be taught to keep his feet moving at all times.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
03-08-2013, 04:13 AM
  #14
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,520
vCash: 500
Calle is the fifth nominee for Guldpucken(which is kind of an MVP award for the league/national team). Z won it in 2002.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...puckskandidat/

Quote:
A gifted player who can dictate the play like few other in the SEL. Is just as effective defensively and works hard away from the puck. Most spectacular is his hockey sense and playmaking. His 29 assists during the regular season puts him 6th in the league, while also being a good finisher. 21 year old Calle Jarnkrok has great potential, but you can already describe him as a complete player.

joe89 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 09:15 AM
  #15
GeoSacks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Ontario.
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Half of Sammy's shots are stupid and weak, but generally on net. Although the guy never saw a shot he didn't like and then took. Tatar, Frk and Pulkkinen has a habit of punishing the glass a little too much. I hope it will get better and it should a little bit. Pulkkinen could use a little quicker release too in my opinion.

With Pulkkinen, Frk and Sproul coming along there is one thing though, the Wings will have some very big shots and lots of welts if you want to play pack it in D.
When did this happen? High-and-wide shots were Sammy's specialty during his first stint in Detroit.

GeoSacks is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #16
Jurky
#FireHolland
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoSacks View Post
When did this happen? High-and-wide shots were Sammy's specialty during his first stint in Detroit.

They didn't call him the logo hunter for nothing.

Jurky is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
  #17
StormSurge9
Registered User
 
StormSurge9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guelph, ONT
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

I hope and expect that the smaller rink and less time will force him to let it go quicker. Btw, in addition to shooting wide a lot his shot totals and therefore shot% are a bit inflated because he often tends to dump the puck at the goalie to get off.zone faceoffs at the end of a shift.

Here's the latest RedWings Central article, I don't think it was posted yet: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/...hat-jurco-can/
"A final note about former prospect Jan Mursak: He’ll qualify for Group 6 unrestricted free agency because he will not have reached 80 career NHL games."

I figured we were going to lose him on waivers, but was happy to see him get sent to GR for the playoff push. But he should get some NHL offers in the off-season.

StormSurge9 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  #18
irishtemper
Registered User
 
irishtemper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
"A final note about former prospect Jan Mursak: He’ll qualify for Group 6 unrestricted free agency because he will not have reached 80 career NHL games."

I figured we were going to lose him on waivers, but was happy to see him get sent to GR for the playoff push. But he should get some NHL offers in the off-season.
I'd like it if L.A. picked him up to play with the only other Slovenian in the league.

irishtemper is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
  #19
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,538
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoSacks View Post
When did this happen? High-and-wide shots were Sammy's specialty during his first stint in Detroit.
I just made some statistics few weeks ago, that Sammy shoots less wide than Zetterberg or Datsyuk. That was a four-season average.

He shoots more in the logo, but even those logo-shots are better than no shots at all or missed, it usually creates a rebound.

Henkka is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
  #20
wingsnut19
Registered User
 
wingsnut19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He shoots more in the logo, but even those logo-shots are better than no shots at all or missed, it usually creates a rebound.
Logo shots do not create rebounds. They are pretty much the easiest shot for a goalie to absorb.

wingsnut19 is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  #21
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
I always called him wide-shot Sammy. His shots were either in the logo or wide of the net with frustrating consistency. He is still a shooter so I suppose we can't complain too much.

GT500x is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  #22
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
You have to think his shot will only get harder in a few years.
That's not the issue, the issue is that he takes waaaaaay too long to get it off and it's not very accurate. He hasn't really made any progress in that regard in the past couple of years which is disappointing

Anchor Town is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
  #23
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Calle is the fifth nominee for Guldpucken(which is kind of an MVP award for the league/national team). Z won it in 2002.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...puckskandidat/
who do you expect to win?


other finalists: HV 71's goalie Gustaf Wesslau, Linköping's Carl Soderberg, Frölunda's Joel Lundqvist and Skellefteå's goalie Joacim Ericsson

nik jr is offline  
Old
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
  #24
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
who do you expect to win?


other finalists: HV 71's goalie Gustaf Wesslau, Linköping's Carl Soderberg, Frölunda's Joel Lundqvist and Skellefteå's goalie Joacim Ericsson
Soderberg. 30 goal scorer in the SEL is rare, 2nd in points too. Best player on the national team this year. Yeah, that should do it.

joe89 is offline  
Old
03-09-2013, 02:26 AM
  #25
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,060
vCash: 500
Moose won 3-1, Frk pointless. Mac and Jo still out.

Hudon had a goal.

Ouellet had a goal.

Sproul -2 in a 6-2 loss.

Quine had an assist.

Nedolmel +1

InjuredChoker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.