HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan McDonagh offer sheet

Old
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
16 To Stanley*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
The difference is Montreal has/had the cap space to match that and New York does not.
New york can and will. We heard the same **** about Subban. We heard the same **** about our own guy Del Zotto for this year.

People may not think relationships mean anything around the league but Sather is tight with a lot of the guys around the league. Not to mention he is wonderful at negotiations with his own free agents.

It's the open market where he loses his head.

I have 110% faith that McD will be a ranger come next season. People can pray and hope there GM does what they want. Fact is, it won't happen.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I don't see OEL as vulnerable. The Yotes have a ridiculous amount of cap space, and while the budget $'s might be tight, they have some expiring contract at the end of the year (Sullivan, Lombardi, Torres, Boyd) which free up $7.6M of salary budget. Now those roster spots would have to be replaced, but with reasonable rookie contract you're still looking at $6M or so of free cash.

NHL isn't going to to let the Yotes lose their best player and most valuable asset because of a short term salary budget issue.
I didn't say OEL was vulnerable to an OS. I simply said that he was slightly more vulnerable considering the uncertainty around the franchise. I'm talking like a 1-2% chance he could b taken versus the virtual zero chance that McD moves.

Basically, if you're going to waste time on an OS, why not offer it for the better player on a team with slightly more financial constraints at this time.

I agree, however, that neither player moves anywhere. PHX would easily move Yandle before not matching on OEL (unless perhaps a bad team goes in for an OS with 4 1st rounders).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:00 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
for the most part I agree with the premise of thsi post.

but you have quite the cap problems and since I don't think you understand the timing of it all, I'll explain.

McD is a RFA this summer. The Flyers have 2 million available this summer to replace 7 bodies. An Offer-sheet to McD is going to run you close to 5-6 million?

The cap is going down to 64mil. You will have 2.25 to replace those 7 lost bodies. How do you expect to do that AND sign ANYONE to an offer-sheet and then expect to be protected to any retaliation?

the guys you refer to are not RFA's until the summer of 2014 at which time the Rangers will be losing the Gabby Contract maybe buying out Richards.

Cap space that year for the Rangers is SOOO not going to be a problem
Briere and Bryzgalov will both be gone from the cap of the Flyers this summer; Briere likely via a trade @ the deadline, Bryz with a compliance buyout. And Chris Pronger goes on LTIR immediately; the Flyers will then make some minor re-signings of guys like Rinaldo, Zolniercyzk, etc. that will leave the Flyers w/ roughly 18.9M in cap space to sign a starting goalie, a 2nd line winger, a 3rd line winger, and a backup goalie.

They can easily accomplish that and still offer sheet McD. If they were to strike gold on a McD offer sheet that NYR decides not to match, they'd trade Meszaros away (that's another 4M gone) and they'd comfortably be under the cap, filling all their needs along the way for 2013.

As far as the 2014 offseason goes, the Flyers will have 6M coming off the books from Timonen, the cap will be going up, and they "only" have to re-sign Giroux, B. Schenn, and Couturier.

Claude Giroux's contract will be done this summer, you can almost guarantee that. Holmgren doesn't let his stars get anywhere close to being RFAs.

And Holmgren will have plenty of money to play with to re-sign Schenn and Couturier too, but it's possible they make it to the summer. So I mean the Rangers could make a play at offer-sheeting either Couturier or Schenn as "revenge", but that would be pretty foolish; the entire reason an offer-sheet to McD at 6.5M, which makes him overpaid, makes sense to Philly is because the Flyers are desperate for a #1D and #1 defensemen never hit the market, so the overpayment would be worth it.

If you look at the situation from the Rangers' perspective, you couldn't say the same. It's not like they desperately need a center like Schenn or Couturier, so overpaying for one of them wouldn't really make much sense. It'd just be revenge for the sake of revenge, which is pretty foolish IMO. And as much as "knowledgeable" HFboards posters think Sather is vindictive, he's an intelligent GM first. He's not going to hurt his own team just to get back at another.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Is McD going to be arbitration eligible?

If so, I don't think any of this matters.

If the Rangers can not get him signed, they'll take him to arbitration. Players slated to go to arbitration can not sign offer sheets as far as I remember.

If he is not arbitration eligible, then I guess it's plausible some team could try.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
dethomas07

No GM will poach NYR's RFAs plain and simple.. the only reason players get offer sheeted is if they have a hard time signing them like ROR, Weber...

Rangers have plenty of cap, compliance buyouts, and trade options to sign Mcd, Step, Hags etc..

Mcd will prob sign long term for around 4m/yr (like staal did after his ELC)

Step anywhere from 2.5-3m

Hags anywhere from 2-2.75

Rangers have 11m in capspace

after 13-14' gabs is off the books, will either sign cheaper or be let go, opening up 7m..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Tambellini offer sheets McDonagh?

Enjoy matching RNH's OS. Same thing for Giroux and Holmgren.

And Sather is a trade monster. He could get a massive return for Richards, easy.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Tambellini offer sheets McDonagh?

Enjoy matching RNH's OS. Same thing for Giroux and Holmgren.

And Sather is a trade monster. He could get a massive return for Richards, easy.
People don't seem to get this. He got a huge return for Gomez. He got a return for Rupp. He gets return for these crappy non-touchables. Richards hasn't by any means been a bad player. Teams would certainly take him on.

Again, I don't think he'll be traded regardless unless Stepan/Miller really step up and show they can take over that #1 slot.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
It would have to be more than $6m to get McDonagh to sign it. He's on a top club, he's the top dman, he seems to be well liked by the coach, he's in a good city, and Sather overpays every FA.
Sather overpays every FA or UFAs? If the former, please tell me one RFA he overpaid. Sather is arguably the best GM in the league at handling his RFAs.

03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
It would have to be more than $6m to get McDonagh to sign it. He's on a top club, he's the top dman, he seems to be well liked by the coach, he's in a good city, and Sather overpays every UFA.
His RFA's do not get overpaid.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Sather is willing to let RFAs waste at home if they don't like his bridge contracts. McDonagh though.... They'll likely open the wallets for him. He likely resigns at 5M for 5 years.

Quote:
His RFA's do not get overpaid.
They probably get underpaid. DZ at 2.55 is a steal.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
backofthefridge

haha silly thread. sather matches then screws you over.

backofthefridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Anthony Eclair
Anthony Eclair

Rangers should open cap space by trading Gaborik to Anaheim in exchange for Perry whos a UFA next year and buying out richards whos contract is ridiculous by seeing how much he is doing for the team. Richards is the new Drury. Gaborik is way too inconsistant. Lets use our heads and not say stupid things like "trading McD" because the Rangers always keep their young players and plus, McD and Girardi are an amazing pair. There is no way Sathers gonna give up McD unless you're offereing us someone like Weber or Keith which will never happen. McD has been proven to be a top 20 if not top 10 defence and hes amongst the youngest in that pile if not THE youngest. use your heads

Anthony Eclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:27 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhenrikthegr819 View Post
Rangers should open cap space by trading Gaborik to Anaheim in exchange for Perry whos a UFA next year and buying out richards whos contract is ridiculous by seeing how much he is doing for the team. Richards is the new Drury. Gaborik is way too inconsistant. Lets use our heads and not say stupid things like "trading McD" because the Rangers always keep their young players and plus, McD and Girardi are an amazing pair. There is no way Sathers gonna give up McD unless you're offereing us someone like Weber or Keith which will never happen. McD has been proven to be a top 20 if not top 10 defence and hes amongst the youngest in that pile if not THE youngest. use your heads
YOU'RE RIGHT! blow up the team that got us the furthest since we won the cup and now has rick nash in the mix

blow it up!!!!

Old
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Anthony Eclair
Anthony Eclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
YOU'RE RIGHT! blow up the team that got us the furthest since we won the cup and now has rick nash in the mix

blow it up!!!!
????

Anthony Eclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If a team comes in and offers this guy $6M per, do the Rags match? I think thats a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation.

The cap is dropping. Only a few lower level contracts are expiring for them. Stepan and Hagelin are due raises. I guess they could buy out Richards or trade Gaborik. What do Ranger fans think?
I hope Nyr match

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
MTrangers

I just don't see it getting to this point. Maybe it's ignorance on my part but I also don't see McD signing some of these hypothetical offer sheets.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote