HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin?

View Poll Results: pick
Jones 32 53.33%
MacKinnon 8 13.33%
Drouin 16 26.67%
other 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Crabby Williams

vCash: 500
I played against MacKinnon in a road hockey tournament. He killed us.

So Jones.

Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Bolt32

If hes available, Jones.

Send him back to Juniors for a year or two and let him develop. A future pairing of Jones-Hedman would absolutely destroy teams. We are bleeding out of our ears with Offensive prospects anyway.....

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
2 Weekes Notice

I really would love to have Seth Jones in this organization. Having a top young D pairing/good goalie covers up a multitude of flaws (see: Nashville in contention due to Weber and Suter + Rinne despite having 0 offense).

The premise of having Jones and Hedman ahead of Vasilevskiy is mouth-watering if all those guys develop, and that isn't even considering the Stamkoses, Connollys, Conachers and Kucherovs of the world.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
And we could finally stop relying on Vinny to produce. He may shine in a less stressful role, working on being a good defender and a 3C that can produce.

Although 7.7 is a lot to pay a 3C...
Exactly. Less ice time would probably help now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
that would be outstanding and is my hope for this team. Even Drouin with Stamkos would be something to behold and a new dynamic duo.
Drouin and Stamkos would be similar to what Halifax has already in the MacKinnon/Drouin duo. Which is not bad at all.

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Jones - if available.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Sear91

Jones would be the perfect choice. When I simmed the 82 game season with the current rosters and injuries off on NHL 13, I ended up picking 2nd overall >< Since VL4 produces in the game, I took Nate Mac. Looks like EA might have gotten it right.

Sear91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Jones all day and night, twice on sunday and thirty seven times on mondays. Three hundred and fifty nine percent Jonesin' for Jonesy. Not even close.

Jones.

If we are in the position.

Seth, man. For real.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
HoseEmDown

Another thing with Jones is that I think he'd become the most talked about player on our team and bring in lots of media attention.
It seems crazy to think that with players like Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavlier that would be possible but we get no national coverage or respect.
Jones has several things going for him that no matter what team gets him he will increase their national perception fast. He's American, which shouldn't matter but it does for some, he's black, again it shouldn't matter but does, he'd bring in an audience that normally wouldn't pay attention, his dad was a long time NBA player, he wasn't the best but played for awhile on a lot of teams, ESPN loves basketball and hates hockey so I'm sure they'd give him several stories and show his highlights.
Which ever team gets him will be extremely lucky to have him, I'm not saying he will do what Crosby has done in Pittsburgh and made them the face of the NHL but I can see lots of NBC games and good publicly.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Another thing with Jones is that I think he'd become the most talked about player on our team and bring in lots of media attention.
It seems crazy to think that with players like Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavlier that would be possible but we get no national coverage or respect.
Jones has several things going for him that no matter what team gets him he will increase their national perception fast. He's American, which shouldn't matter but it does for some, he's black, again it shouldn't matter but does, he'd bring in an audience that normally wouldn't pay attention, his dad was a long time NBA player, he wasn't the best but played for awhile on a lot of teams, ESPN loves basketball and hates hockey so I'm sure they'd give him several stories and show his highlights.
Which ever team gets him will be extremely lucky to have him, I'm not saying he will do what Crosby has done in Pittsburgh and made them the face of the NHL but I can see lots of NBC games and good publicly.
Really? A little early don't you think to receive Crosby kind hype? He could but he is a D-man which probably will make Mackinnon or Drouin more marketable from a media standpoint.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBolt View Post
Really? A little early don't you think to receive Crosby kind hype? He could but he is a D-man which probably will make Mackinnon or Drouin more marketable from a media standpoint.
He won't be on Crosby's level of hype but he's already had some stories written about him. You think ESPN would talk more about MacKinnon or Drouin over the son of an NBA player who's playing in the NHL?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:26 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
He won't be on Crosby's level of hype but he's already had some stories written about him. You think ESPN would talk more about MacKinnon or Drouin over the son of an NBA player who's playing in the NHL?
I get where you are heading at but to say ESPN of all people will pay more attention to hockey is a bit of a reach. I hope he gets attention and in return brings it to the sport though. Hope you are right and I believe I am with you on the topic the I'd prefer to be a playoff team and not even be in a conversation regarding a top 3 pick unless its because of a trade (ala Boston) or we are on a clear rebuilding process.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
CC321

As of today, we have the 5th worst record.
1. Florida
2. Columbus
3. Colorado
4. Buffalo
5. Tampa

Monahan and Lindholm should be available here. Both are hard working 2-way centers with a lot of potential. RHDs Pulock and Ristolainen should be available here, but it may be a bit of a stretch at #5.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
As of today, we have the 5th worst record.
1. Florida
2. Columbus
3. Colorado
4. Buffalo
5. Tampa

Monahan and Lindholm should be available here. Both are hard working 2-way centers with a lot of potential. RHDs Pulock and Ristolainen should be available here, but it may be a bit of a stretch at #5.
Lindholm's been compared to Backstrom, while Monahan is somewhere between a Couturier and Toews. I'd take Monahan at 5, gives us three strong centers down the middle and his determination and two-way/shutdown ability would be immense in the playoffs. He offers us the most versatility and contrasts Stammer's pure offensive game quite well.

I see the first two picks being MacKinnon and Drouin due to team needs with Jones going third to Colorado unless FLA goes BPA. Buffalo takes the most skilled center available which is likely Lindholm, which leaves us with Monahan at 5 anyway.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
HoseEmDown

I think I'd take Barkov at 4 or 5, he might be better than MacKinnon.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:24 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I think I'd take Barkov at 4 or 5, he might be better than MacKinnon.
Barkov lacks foot speed, which is somewhat of a deterrent for me. His size, skill and vision compensate for it though. Still, if Monahan is on the board at 5, I wouldn't turn him down since we have plenty of players with skill and vision in Stamkos, Marty, Conacher, Killorn and Vinny, but lack the two-way capabilities and competitiveness of a prospect like Monahan. Also, Monahan's offensive instincts are quite good and he also has the size, skating ability and vision.

I see Monahan as the ideal second line center behind Stamkos.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
InjuredChoker

Jones
Mac
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

would be mine. Lindholm and Monahan are very close, could flip a coin there.

I think Columbus takes Jones if he's out there at #2.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
CC321

Scouting report on Monahan and a few other OHL players. http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...-for-2013.html

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Jones
Mac
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

would be mine. Lindholm and Monahan are very close, could flip a coin there.

I think Columbus takes Jones if he's out there at #2.
Me too, with the logic that a Jones and Murray combo would be lethal in the future. I think the new system in Columbus would be to build from the back. Kelka...whatever his name is scouted and drafted some good d prospects for St Louis too.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Me too, with the logic that a Jones and Murray combo would be lethal in the future. I think the new system in Columbus would be to build from the back. Kelka...whatever his name is scouted and drafted some good d prospects for St Louis too.
No way CLB drafts a D, they have so many great D prospects and lack any highend offense talent. So they would be dump to take jones over Drouin or Mackinnon

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

If you have #1 and nothing between now and then happens to Jones, you take him, no doubt. If you have #2 and some stupid GM(which is likely with the ones ahead of ours lol) take somebody else, you go to the podium, laugh at everybody there and say "Jones, who else?" then just take Jones to the table with you and make him laugh from all the laughter spewing out of your mouth, then laugh some more.

If we are 3-5, and lets say Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin are gone, you go with Monahan. After that, Lindholm...obvious choice.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
Drouin, but I guess I'm in the strong minority. He has the highest upside of the draft class and will make an immediate impact. I'm not a fan of drafting defensemen very early in the draft unless there is an obvious need for a #1. We have Hedman already taking his game to another level. I'd rather have Drouin who looks like a quicker-developing version of Giroux. MacKinnon would be nice too, he is the definition of an intensity player and he would absolutely flourish under Boucher.

Yzlamic Extremist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
Drouin, but I guess I'm in the strong minority. He has the highest upside of the draft class and will make an immediate impact. I'm not a fan of drafting defensemen very early in the draft unless there is an obvious need for a #1. We have Hedman already taking his game to another level. I'd rather have Drouin who looks like a quicker-developing version of Giroux. MacKinnon would be nice too, he is the definition of an intensity player and he would absolutely flourish under Boucher.
Drouin has drawn close comparisons to Huberdeau too, but I think he's a blend of Huberdeau/Giroux. More high-end potential than Huberdeau, but similar in that he's fluid and natural like him, where as Giroux's stride is short and awkward looking. In terms of hands, all three have them and are an absolute treat to watch game in and out.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:15 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
No way CLB drafts a D, they have so many great D prospects and lack any highend offense talent. So they would be dump to take jones over Drouin or Mackinnon
BPA.

If they see Jones as BPA I'm pretty sure that Davidson and Kekäkäinen will take him. And I think he's BPA at #2, even at #1. They have also LA and NYR first rounders, they can take forwards with those. They could also trade D for forwards.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I say we blow up the bottom lines, bring up the Syracuse guys and let them get the experience they deserve after their efforts. Get a decent pick for next season and add another piece. This team is set up for the future. We had our chance a couple seasons ago. That was our best chance. Now we've taken a back seat compared to these other teams. But I think we got a really exciting future and these kids down in Syracuse are a part of it. Make some moves for the future and then make a run when these guys are just starting to get going. Pains me to say because MSL deserves another chance at the cup but he's won one at least. I just feel our best chance at a cup is later. Not now.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Mr Writer

I still take Mackinnon with the 1st pick. D-men are just too hard to project. He does look like a hell of a player though, but so have a plethora of highly ranked d-men in the past 10 years. Scouts very seldom get Defensemen projections right.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote