HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Blade design? Do you mean curve?

What Roenick blade? His pro stock blade or a retail blade with his name on it indicating curve?
Yes, I mean curve, but used the term "blade design" to encompass curve, toe shape, and lie (but I suppose that might vary). And I was referring to a retail blade with his name on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
From what I can tell, the old Roenick was either similar to a Lidstrom (open heel with a square toe) or a Heatley (neutral mid) depending on the year. His pro curve was either close to a P106 (open heel) or Drury (very open heel).
Thanks Jarick, I'll take a look at some of those this evening. I'm very certain the one I had didn't have a square toe, though.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
esidebill

Picked up a barely used (no visible scratches, chips, dents) Bauer APX for $90. Steal or no steal?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:04 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Disclaimer: on my phone so i apologise for spelling and formaT

I am just starting out (as a 29 year old) but have played other sports and reasonable levels. Anyways my question relates to equipment in particular but specifically sticks. I have just started skating lessons and seem to be going pretty well (progressing faster than anyone else) but still am ordinary. Accordingly I thought I would get a pair of skates to start with, only problem is being in Australia they are sooo much cheaper overseas. Easton eq20's are 200 here, 80 bucks plus shipping online. This sort of difference in price is consistent with pretty much every piece of equipment as far as I am aware of. Therefore it makes much more sense for me to lump everything into one big parcel to save on postage. With that being said, how the hell do I know what stick I should get?

In the equipment thread Jarik mentioned a various number of sticks for beginners. I have found all of them online at prices I am prepared to pay but what flex, lie etc. Would be a good starting point? I am a touch of 6 foot and have strong arms but I think my wrist strength is actually pretty poor (never played any wristy sports). My plan is to get a CCM crossover wood senior stick, right/Thornton and also a CCM RBZ60 sr right/85/tavares. I can get these for a 140.

Considering the situation what do you think of my plan?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

^Other stick I am considering is a warrior Diablo right/75/savard. Can get it for a bit cheaper than the rbz

Old
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
In the equipment thread Jarik mentioned a various number of sticks for beginners. I have found all of them online at prices I am prepared to pay but what flex, lie etc. Would be a good starting point? I am a touch of 6 foot and have strong arms but I think my wrist strength is actually pretty poor (never played any wristy sports).

If you want to work on wrist strength, Olympic lifting, handstands and ring work will do wonders!

Try out a P92 (Bauer) or Hall (Easton) curve with a 75 or 87 flex. I find the curve is good for learning stick handling and is a good all around curve. I think the curve is called Draper in Warrior? Not sure about CCM. Make sure you cut it down between your bottom lip and chin!

Old
03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Where are you ordering from?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
If you want to work on wrist strength, Olympic lifting, handstands and ring work will do wonders!

Try out a P92 (Bauer) or Hall (Easton) curve with a 75 or 87 flex. I find the curve is good for learning stick handling and is a good all around curve. I think the curve is called Draper in Warrior? Not sure about CCM. Make sure you cut it down between your bottom lip and chin!
Kopitar now in Warrior, used to be Draper. Nugent-Hopkins in CCM, Crosby in Reebok.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Knight

Welp, I decided to order a Warrior Dynasty 75 flex with the kovalev curve and grip, pretty much on a whim. Hopefully i'll have an easier time scoring and picking corners with this than my rbk 8.0.8 hamrlik curve 85 flex. Totally flying blind here

Old
03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Thanks for the replies.

Jarik-ordering from hockey monkey. Seems to be the cheapest for the stuff I want

Eside-thanks for the advice, I could get a warrior Diablo with kopitar/draper curve. Its around 85bucks on hovkeymonkey

Last edited by West Coast Eagles: 03-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Torquenstein

Hey,
I got a chance to pick up the Warrior Johnson for cheap. Any thoughts on that stick?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Jarik-ordering from hockey monkey. Seems to be the cheapest for the stuff I want

Eside-thanks for the advice, I could get a warrior Diablo with kopitar/draper curve. Its around 85bucks on hovkeymonkey
How long have you been playing? Are there any hockey shops around you? Do they carry replacement stick blades?

I'd be inclined to recommend getting a shaft with a couple different blades, but if you want a high end stick the Diablo is a good one. Otherwise I'd recommend tapered Warrior Dolomite shaft and a few Easton wood blades for the same price, you could try out some different curves that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquenstein View Post
Hey,
I got a chance to pick up the Warrior Johnson for cheap. Any thoughts on that stick?
If it's more than $25, skip it. Heavy, bad feel, just not a good stick.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Ryan52

broke my AK the other day... sucks. i bought it because it felt unreal in the store, absolutely hated it on ice. bought a new stick within a month. decided to give it a shot in ball hockey, my favourite stick ive ever used for ball hockey. not sure if i should buy another or not

Old
03-07-2013, 08:50 PM
**** Farise
Fire Deboer

Anyone use a P106 and have advice for keeping slappers low? I love everything else about the curve. Good puck control, can keep hard wrist shots low, great saucer passes...but I'm blasting head hunters when it comes to slapshots. Even when I'm just taking shots on my own, and focusing on keeping them low, a "low" shot is roughly 2-2.5 feet high.

When I'm mid-game and don't have the time to focus on keeping it low, I'm ripping head hunters all over the place.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
AIREAYE

Turn your wrists down and choke up on your follow through.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Quick question, if this isn't suitable for this thread, I'd appreciate some directions to the proper thread: I'm currently rolling with an Easton EQ50 with a Getzlaf curve. I really like the curve and square toe, it's great for sauce and snap shots, and not bad on slappers, which is a good combination as I play both D and wing. That being said, I've shredded through the bottom portion of the toe on this one, it's terribly chipped. So, my question:

Is there anything that can be done to keep a square toe in good shape? My tape job is pretty solid, a stretch of tape that goes heel to midway up the toe, and taped all the way toe to heel, cutting off the excess on the toe, so I'm not sure of what else to do to protect it more. If there's no way to prevent the toe from getting crushed so badly, what would be the closest relative to the Getzlaf curve (any brand) only with a rounded toe? Thanks, guys.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Ted Black

How long do hockey sticks last you guys? And I'm not talking about how long before it breaks in the conventional way, but how long till it loses its flex?

I've had my Sherwood T90 for I think about two years now and I can't go top shelf anymore. Although it's never been that easy for me with this stick (odd) it seems like it's a lot worse now. I almost think it might be the blade torquing out on me. I've heard guys talk about this before, but is a true phenomenon?... and can someone further explain the physics behind this? I don't want to buy a new stick if it's not the stick, but something is off. It could be me too though, haha.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
finnishdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
How long do hockey sticks last you guys? And I'm not talking about how long before it breaks in the conventional way, but how long till it loses its flex?

I've had my Sherwood T90 for I think about two years now and I can't go top shelf anymore. Although it's never been that easy for me with this stick (odd) it seems like it's a lot worse now. I almost think it might be the blade torquing out on me. I've heard guys talk about this before, but is a true phenomenon?... and can someone further explain the physics behind this? I don't want to buy a new stick if it's not the stick, but something is off. It could be me too though, haha.
My AI5 lasted 6 months before the blade got soft and the shaft is like wet noodle now. Same with my One.9, four months and it's useless now.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:29 AM
God
Free Citizen

No day is sadder than this day. I broke my X:60. My favourite stick ever. I've been using it almost every week since July. rest in peace.

Now I have to use my S19, which I'm not overly comfortable with. Stickhandling was definitely better with the X:60 and the puck feel is a bit different. I wonder if the difference in lie (5.5 for the S19, 6 for the X:60) has anything to do with it. Anyone have any comments? The sticks are virtually the same length but the S19 is about an inch longer (I don't cut my sticks because I'm 6'1 and the lengths are usually perfect). Should I just get used to it?

Old
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
No day is sadder than this day. I broke my X:60. My favourite stick ever. I've been using it almost every week since July. rest in peace.

Now I have to use my S19, which I'm not overly comfortable with. Stickhandling was definitely better with the X:60 and the puck feel is a bit different. I wonder if the difference in lie (5.5 for the S19, 6 for the X:60) has anything to do with it. Anyone have any comments? The sticks are virtually the same length but the S19 is about an inch longer (I don't cut my sticks because I'm 6'1 and the lengths are usually perfect). Should I just get used to it?
I bought one60's on sale before I returned them for a two-piece instead. I'm also 6 feet and usually don't have to cut my sticks.

I took them home to handle, and didn't like the feel for a few reasons. In particular I didn't like the 6 lie, felt like it was bunching up my elbow too much and didn't feel good on my overall posture whilst handling. Seeing as these are both bauer sticks I thought I'd share that with you.

Apparently my new blade is a 6 lie but it feels closer to a 5 lie when I hold it, and I definitely like it way more.

Quote:

I'd like to know the details of this as well. As far as I know the shafts can become whippy but that's more often because you've pushed it to it's absolute limit (EG lots of snappers, slappers, etc.)

I think the blades lose their structural integrity way more easily, and way more often.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-08-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 09:38 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Disclaimer: on my phone so i apologise for spelling and formaT

I am just starting out (as a 29 year old) but have played other sports and reasonable levels. Anyways my question relates to equipment in particular but specifically sticks. I have just started skating lessons and seem to be going pretty well (progressing faster than anyone else) but still am ordinary. Accordingly I thought I would get a pair of skates to start with, only problem is being in Australia they are sooo much cheaper overseas. Easton eq20's are 200 here, 80 bucks plus shipping online. This sort of difference in price is consistent with pretty much every piece of equipment as far as I am aware of. Therefore it makes much more sense for me to lump everything into one big parcel to save on postage. With that being said, how the hell do I know what stick I should get?

In the equipment thread Jarik mentioned a various number of sticks for beginners. I have found all of them online at prices I am prepared to pay but what flex, lie etc. Would be a good starting point? I am a touch of 6 foot and have strong arms but I think my wrist strength is actually pretty poor (never played any wristy sports). My plan is to get a CCM crossover wood senior stick, right/Thornton and also a CCM RBZ60 sr right/85/tavares. I can get these for a 140.

I hope someone helps you, though from the sounds of it try for a 75, 80 flex at most. You can even get away with 85 but I'm of the philosophy that you should start off at a flex that will do the work for you and from there you can get a stiffer flex if you decide it torques too much on your wristers/slaps.

I liked the RBZ in the limited time I got to shoot it, I liked it alot actually, and I have a feeling the RBZ60 will be good. Wood sticks get water-logged and wear out easy, so if I had to I'd suggest getting a 75, and an 85 flex stick. The price difference will be neglible when the wood stick breaks/loses it's pop on you and you're ordering sticks again.

EDIT: May I suggest reconsidering your Tavares curve? (I hope the others weigh in on this, everyone's opinion will vary) According to hockeymonkey it is a 6 lie and that might not be enjoyable for you. Youtube stick lies if you need help understanding them. The Lecavalier looked similar and is a 5.5 lie, I liked the Couturier but not everyone likes a shallow blade. Hossa looks very similar to Tavares and is a 5 lie, anyone know how similar the Hossa is to the Tavares for our friend here?

Cheers.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
Anyone use a P106 and have advice for keeping slappers low? I love everything else about the curve. Good puck control, can keep hard wrist shots low, great saucer passes...but I'm blasting head hunters when it comes to slapshots. Even when I'm just taking shots on my own, and focusing on keeping them low, a "low" shot is roughly 2-2.5 feet high.

When I'm mid-game and don't have the time to focus on keeping it low, I'm ripping head hunters all over the place.
Where do you connect with the puck on the blade of the stick? More towards the toe? Maybe try closer to the heel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Is there anything that can be done to keep a square toe in good shape? My tape job is pretty solid, a stretch of tape that goes heel to midway up the toe, and taped all the way toe to heel, cutting off the excess on the toe, so I'm not sure of what else to do to protect it more. If there's no way to prevent the toe from getting crushed so badly, what would be the closest relative to the Getzlaf curve (any brand) only with a rounded toe? Thanks, guys.
I've heard of folks using epoxy on the toe with mixed results. Is it getting chipped up on the bottom only or both top and bottom? Drury isn't far off from the Lidstrom, a bit lower lie though.

Quote:

Usually about a year for me if I love them and use them a lot. Most of the time I get bored with them and get rid of them earlier.

If you take lots of slap shots and dig into the ice a lot, a lot of times the shaft will break a couple feet up from the blade. Sometimes this happens within a few weeks or a few months. These are the guys that break tons of sticks.

Otherwise, the blade can go soft. Test it by grabbing the toe of the blade and trying to bend or twist it with your bare hands. Shouldn't move hardly at all. It used to be the blades would soften after a couple months, but sticks have improved and should last at least six months to a year with your average rec leaguer.

If the blade stays relatively stiff and there's no chips or cracks anywhere, that's a good stick IMO.

Quote:

I remember when I broke my X:60 Best stick ever.

Definitely cut the S19 to the same length. 1" makes a big difference (that's what she said...)

Old
03-08-2013, 05:52 PM
AIREAYE

Ignore the lie numbers. They're inconsistent from company to company and are insufficient in trying to determine what's best for an individual.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:04 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I bought one60's on sale before I returned them for a two-piece instead. I'm also 6 feet and usually don't have to cut my sticks.

I took them home to handle, and didn't like the feel for a few reasons. In particular I didn't like the 6 lie, felt like it was bunching up my elbow too much and didn't feel good on my overall posture whilst handling. Seeing as these are both bauer sticks I thought I'd share that with you.

Apparently my new blade is a 6 lie but it feels closer to a 5 lie when I hold it, and I definitely like it way more.
I guess I kinda got used to the 6 lie, I get that elbow thing you're talking about but I'm comfortable with it. Was thinking of picking up a one60 if they're still available at the sport mart clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I remember when I broke my X:60 Best stick ever.

Definitely cut the S19 to the same length. 1" makes a big difference (that's what she said...)
Yeah, it was my first composite and it just felt right. The release was amazing. Has anybody here tried the Vapor APX? How does it compare? I guess I'm just waiting for a deal, but they never seem to be on sale. The X:60 itself wasn't even that heavily discounted ($160), but my S19 was ($120).

Old
03-08-2013, 06:17 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

@Jarick:

The toe's absolutely destroyed on the bottom, and is working it's way up. After steady use this winter, it's probably an inch and a half from the top.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
esidebill

Quote:
I guess I kinda got used to the 6 lie, I get that elbow thing you're talking about but I'm comfortable with it. Was thinking of picking up a one60 if they're still available at the sport mart clearance.

Yeah, it was my first composite and it just felt right. The release was amazing. Has anybody here tried the Vapor APX? How does it compare? I guess I'm just waiting for a deal, but they never seem to be on sale. The X:60 itself wasn't even that heavily discounted ($160), but my S19 was ($120).

I use the APX. Very light stick. Good feeling on the shot.

Closed Thread