HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
To me, it's silly to request a refund and I wouldn't do it. The game has its downfalls right now, but as time goes by, these errors are bound to be fixed. Look at what happened with Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3

I mean, if you think the city sizes are too small, go ahead

But don't ask for a refund because the servers are jammed up
Maybe I will buy it in 4 months when the price goes down and the servers aren't ****ed. I also think the game is boring compared to SimCity 4 with the unreasonably small maps. It's my money and I would rather spend it on The Show 13.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Also, Tropico 4's price on Steam just got dropped to 9.99 for the full game and all DLC. Surely a coincidence.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahaha Steam is ******** on EA pretty good.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
To me, it's silly to request a refund and I wouldn't do it. The game has its downfalls right now, but as time goes by, these errors are bound to be fixed. Look at what happened with Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3

If I buy a game I want it to work day 1, not day 120.

It would help if people didn't say how much they hate EA, think that the DRM is intrusive, speculate that servers aren't going to hold day 1 and go ahead and pre-order the game anyways.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:

What? If anything the server issue is the reason you should be asking for a refund not the city sizes. The city size issue was known before launch, it was well documented in screenshots and videos that the cities were really small.

The online servers being jammed on the other hand is preventing you playing a game you bought... Also with "non-essential" features being removed it's also not the game they advertised. That's a reason to get a refund.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
It would help if people didn't say how much they hate EA, think that the DRM is intrusive, speculate that servers aren't going to hold day 1 and go ahead and pre-order the game anyways.
You shouldn't be surprised. People are dumb.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
TomPlex

Just installed my new GTX660. Thing is a ****ing beast. Bumped everything up to ultra and it ran without a hiccup. Of course, that was just the tutorial, and when I exited to the main menu I lost server connection... FML

Old
03-08-2013, 06:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
You shouldn't be surprised. People are dumb.
Yeah, but isn't this the reason they beta tested the **** out of this? I despise EA, but I am even a bit surprised that the launch has been this bad.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

LOL Blizzard pretty much fixed their servers by the next day.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Senior Producer
"What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game, which kept our servers packed and made it difficult for new players to join," .
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-simcit...fot0cH62CJq.99

Are they blaming...the players?

Old
03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
What? If anything the server issue is the reason you should be asking for a refund not the city sizes. The city size issue was known before launch, it was well documented in screenshots and videos that the cities were really small.

The online servers being jammed on the other hand is preventing you playing a game you bought... Also with "non-essential" features being removed it's also not the game they advertised. That's a reason to get a refund.
City size is why I didn't buy, not the always online (which I knew would be an issue).

Sad part is I was hoping they would increase size but everything i've read says the way they developed the agent AI makes it almost impossible to increase the city size. Very very unimpressed with the decision to have the population as individual agents. Just a terrible idea given the resources it requires and how difficult it is to program them to do anything remarkable.

Also looks like EA is pulling all active marketing for the game:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/0...g-pulled-by-ea

Old
03-08-2013, 06:44 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Just installed my new GTX660. Thing is a ****ing beast. Bumped everything up to ultra and it ran without a hiccup. Of course, that was just the tutorial, and when I exited to the main menu I lost server connection... FML
Hey welcome to the world of the GTX 600 series. o.o

Old
03-08-2013, 06:46 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
That's a pretty cherry picked quote taken out of context. He's not far from the truth, the problem is because so many people are trying to play it at once. The bigger issue is that the problem wasn't mitigated properly, which he pretty much admitted to in his full post, but to say that he is wrong or that he is trying to blame the players is really stretching it.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

I'm stuck on rollback. I play for 5 minutes and BOOM takes me back to menu and tells me to rollback (go back to where I was when I last started playing - so it loops me - I make progress, erased, I make progress, erased - I'm stuck at 100-120kish residents) or abandon and restart.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
That's a pretty cherry picked quote taken out of context. He's not far from the truth, the problem is because so many people are trying to play it at once. The bigger issue is that the problem wasn't mitigated properly, which he pretty much admitted to in his full post, but to say that he is wrong or that he is trying to blame the players is really stretching it.
The full quote is this:

Quote:
Server capacity is our biggest obstacle. We launched in North America on Tuesday and our servers filled up within a matter of hours. What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game, which kept our servers packed and made it difficult for new players to join. We added more servers to accommodate the launch in Australia and Japan, and then more yesterday to accommodate the launch in Europe. As of right now, we are adding even more servers which will be going live over the next three days. And, our plan is to continue to bring more servers online until we have enough to meet the demand, increase player capacity and let more people through the gates and into the game.
I would not say that was taken out of context. I mean seriously, they didn't expect people who bought the game to want to play it for long periods of time? Isn't that the reason for making a multiplayer/social SimCity?

This game is just a complete disaster in pretty much every aspect. Stop trying to defend it.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Only EA would be "surprised" about large player numbers after pressing unrealistic sales quotas and having their servers fail every time a big game is released.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
The full quote is this:

I would not say that was taken out of context. I mean seriously, they didn't expect people who bought the game to want to play it for long periods of time? Isn't that the reason for making a multiplayer/social SimCity?

This game is just a complete disaster in pretty much every aspect. Stop trying to defend it.
It's not a duration problem, it's a quantity problem. The servers are basically getting DDoS'd by massive amounts of people trying to play at the same time. That is what he is saying.

The game itself is a lot of fun, when it works. The launch has been a complete disaster though, yes.

And it's not a problem of not expecting it, it's a problem of not testing it to the proper capacity and clearly deciding far too late in the process to shard the servers. When you're only able to test the servers at 20 or 30% of the capacity that is expected at launch, you end up with problems like this. They clearly didn't have a good mitigation plan in place and they've really **** the bed as a result. I'm not trying to defend anybody, but to say that he's blaming the players and effectively absolving blame of himself, is absolutely ridiculous.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Sim City has been trending off and on today on Twitter, lots of angry gamers and articles about the botched launch.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Not once in that article does he say that EA didn't test the servers properly.

He's not directly blaming the players, but he's definitely deflecting the real problems of the game.

The don't know how you can find the game fun either. Seems like it's half a game.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The game is broken because it's too fun. Uh huh.

03-08-2013, 07:27 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

I'm aware the article didn't mention the testing, that's not where I gathered that information from.

I'm having quite a bit of fun with the regional play, sending people to work between cities and building highly specialized cities. I've been working on a 7 city region by myself so far and i've been having a blast. I just wish the borders for cities were actually connected so that I could build one large contiguous region but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Someone just leaked a playable copy of the game, for free:

http://tholman.com/playable-simcity-2013/

Old
03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
30 minutes queue!?

OMG!

Old
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Someone just leaked a playable copy of the game, for free:

http://tholman.com/playable-simcity-2013/
Is it a joke? I'm assuming it just gives you the error messages and queue on repeat.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Was able to play for about 3 hours today, so I'm kind of thankful for that. I ran into some problems where I wasn't able to buy the power/sewage/water I needed off neighbouring cities; I assume this is due to the servers?

Closed Thread