HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 07:11 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
Tied for 2 in wins with 11.

Arent wins the most important stat?
Tied for 2nd in losses with 10....

Old
03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
Tied for 2 in wins with 11.

Arent wins the most important stat?
He's also 3rd in losses with 10 and 1 OT loss. It's a wash.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Is there any objective statistic or measure that you can use to back up your assertion that Bryz is...[MOD]
my eyes. my assertion this year has been that Bryz is not this team's problem.

i have been asserting that:

1. Team D
2. the constant lack of effort that G & Hartnell continually point out

are this team's biggest issues & that Bryz is last on the blame list [along with (now) Simmonds & Jake]

Old
03-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Is there any objective statistic or measure that you can use to back up your assertion that Bryz is... i dunno, good? above average? [MOD]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

1. Team D

are this team's biggest issues & that Bryz is last on the blame list [along with (now) Simmonds & Jake]
So....no.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:

1. Team D

Last to blame? Last?

I know you're a Bryz fan, but that statement is asinine.

Did you watch the Rangers game the other night?

Old
03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I'm so sick of this misconception that the Flyers are the only team in the NHL giving up good scoring chances and Bryz is helpless. EVERY TEAM gives up good scoring chances. You need your goalie to make big stops, something Bryz rarely does. Everything gets blamed on breakdowns and Lavy's system.

I decided to watch the 2-3 minute highlight videos of every other game in the NHL last night, and came up with 32 clips of goalies making big saves/saves Bryz apologists would say "wasn't his fault." Yes, that's right. 32 clips from small highlight videos based off one night of NHL games. Yet we can't expect our top ten paid goalie to ever make big saves, because "they aren't his fault." I'm sick of it. A year and a half of barely ever coming up huge, when that's what he's paid to do.

Ny/NYI: :20, 1:10, 1:20, 1:30, 1:50

MTL/CAR: :30, 1:25, 1:40, 2:05

EDM/DET: :07, :45, 1:30, 1:48, 2:00, 2:15

WPG/TB: :04, :11, :37, 1:21, 1:58, 2:40

DAL/LA: :47, :54, 1:55, 2:20, 2:35

NJD/BUF: 1:00, 2:00

TOR/BOS: 2:05

WSH/FLA: 1:30

CBJ/VAN: 2:12

PHX/STL: :30

As you can see, teams are giving up big chances league-wide, it's not just happening in Philadelphia. We've got a team that's giving up the 6th least shots per game and blocking the 2nd most shots per game, but it's everybody but Bryz's fault he has the save percentage of an awful goaltender. Right.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:28 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Last to blame? Last?

I know you're a Bryz fan, but that statement is asinine.

Did you watch the Rangers game the other night?
i did. the nash goals? how bout our offense scoring some opportunistic goals once and a while. no we should just score a goal or two and then relinquish all offensive pressure and take a couple bad penalties just to make sure we really give em a shot. happens every game. even the ones we win.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i did. the nash goals? how bout our offense scoring some opportunistic goals once and a while. no we should just score a goal or two and then relinquish all offensive pressure and take a couple bad penalties just to make sure we really give em a shot. happens every game. even the ones we win.
The offense has absolutely nothing to do with Bryz. And it has even less to do with both Nash's goals and the Callahan goal.

Bryz has to make those saves, end of story

Old
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

1. Team D

I have to wonder if this is really the problem. I don't percieve the flyers, when I watch them to be a particularly lethargic team. They have ups and downs surely, but for a team with this schedule, I don't think they've looked lazy at all. And typically Laviolette teams aren't lazy. So I have to think, perhaps Laviolette hasn't lost the team, and still very much has their ear. That would explain why the answer from them when asked how to fix team issues is always "more intensity". The teams leaders are taking on the attitude of the coach.

But it's tough to win very game by outworking your opponent. I mean it's fine if he can go to that well every so often for a big game or for 20 game stretches in the play offs. But you win in the regular season with skill and strategy. And I don't see a ton of structure from them. If they could get there I think they'd be fresher for the play-offs and actually have a structure and system with which to employ that next gear that we've seen them get to. This is mostly regarading their own zone, as they seem to be doing fine scoring goals (they always do somehow). That and for Bryz to find some consistency. He's not Michael Leighton bad, but he's also not making 900k.

Long story short, we know that when it counts Laviolette can get this team to skate their balls off. I would like to see him get them to a place where they don't neccesarily need to do that every period in every game to win.

This is just me postulating based on what I have seen in like a third of the games played this season (I don't get to watch as often as I'd like). So if anyone else has a take on this and why it's right or total manure I'd like to hear your take on it.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Tied for 2nd in losses with 10....
and first in games played. Meaning a very tired goalie.
He would probably have more wins if we had a compentant back up so he didnt have to play as much.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
The offense has absolutely nothing to do with Bryz. And it has even less to do with both Nash's goals and the Callahan goal.

Bryz has to make those saves, end of story
Bryzgalov rules. your just jealous cause he's not on your team.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think you buy him out this year. They have the option to do so after next year, right? If so I give him one more year then buy him out if necessary. There is not a legitimate option this year to replace him and this may not be the most popular sentiment around here, but I think he could put it together in a full 82 gamer. If he doesn't, buy him out next year and roll the dice on finding a replacement. But I don't think this summer is the time to do it. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily be upset if they did buy him out, I just wouldn't do it at this point (especially if he can be bought out NEXT summer).

Old
03-08-2013, 08:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I have to wonder if this is really the problem. I don't percieve the flyers, when I watch them to be a particularly lethargic team. They have ups and downs surely, but for a team with this schedule, I don't think they've looked lazy at all. And typically Laviolette teams aren't lazy. So I have to think, perhaps Laviolette hasn't lost the team, and still very much has their ear. That would explain why the answer from them when asked how to fix team issues is always "more intensity". The teams leaders are taking on the attitude of the coach.

But it's tough to win very game by outworking your opponent. I mean it's fine if he can go to that well every so often for a big game or for 20 game stretches in the play offs. But you win in the regular season with skill and strategy. And I don't see a ton of structure from them. If they could get there I think they'd be fresher for the play-offs and actually have a structure and system with which to employ that next gear that we've seen them get to. This is mostly regarading their own zone, as they seem to be doing fine scoring goals (they always do somehow). That and for Bryz to find some consistency. He's not Michael Leighton bad, but he's also not making 900k.

Long story short, we know that when it counts Laviolette can get this team to skate their balls off. I would like to see him get them to a place where they don't neccesarily need to do that every period in every game to win.

This is just me postulating based on what I have seen in like a third of the games played this season (I don't get to watch as often as I'd like). So if anyone else has a take on this and why it's right or total manure I'd like to hear your take on it.
i like laviolette but i am disappointed in the length of leash he's given a lot of players who not only have bad shifts or periods but groups of games. jesus, bench a guy. scratch a guy. make an example. there's really only been a few guys playin up to full potential night in and out and its up to coach to evoke some damn emotion. anger. something. wake some of these tards up. then maybe i can stop reading the same "bryzgalov sucks" posts everyday. (actually i love "bryzgalov sucks" posts. their so unpredictable. i never know what's gonna happen next. keep em coming)

Old
03-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

G and Hartnell don't try? This is news to me.

03-08-2013, 08:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Giroux and Hartnell keep mentioning the lack of effort by the team during their interviews. I think that's what he was going for there.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Last to blame?
regarding players; Bryz, Simmonds & Jake are last on the blame list taking game 1 through last night into account.

in my view, bigger team issues are:

1. Team D

disagree all you want, you're entitled to blame everything on Bryz. i understand, it's Philly. thats what we do.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
i like laviolette but i am disappointed in the length of leash he's given a lot of players who not only have bad shifts or periods but groups of games. jesus, bench a guy. scratch a guy. make an example. there's really only been a few guys playin up to full potential night in and out and its up to coach to evoke some damn emotion. anger. something. wake some of these tards up. then maybe i can stop reading the same "bryzgalov sucks" posts everyday.
they keep coming out with no effort, but there are no consequences ..... i agree with you.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
But it's tough to win very game by outworking your opponent.
earlier in the year, Bryz was lights out & they were winning games in spite of not working for a full 60 minutes. he's dropped off a notch & thats not good enough to overcome
1. the poor Team D

i don't think theres any big mystery here.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'd like to see you explain how our "poor team D" is performing quite well in the stat columns that pertain most to defensive play.

And you're right, there is no mystery. Bryz hasn't performed.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Ryker

Quote:
i addressed the only line i'm concerned about: did he let in bad goals vs Pitt, or not.

are you now claiming that he did let in "bad / weak / soft" goals vs PITT ?
In isolation, and applying my standards of a "bad" goal, none of them were bad. If I apply your binary good/bad logic, however, then yes, at least Kennedy's goal was bad. But like people are saying and what you don't seem to get is that when you add all of these borderline bad goals Bryz is not performing that well. He's not terrible by any means, and I still think he's a bit better than his stats say, but the save percentage does not lie. It's funny how you were rubbing it into everyone's face when Bob was faltering at the beginning of the season and Bryz had better stats, whereas the stats don't get quoted, mentioned or addressed by you at all anymore. You look at a single goal individually and then just make up the whole picture based on that. Things don't work like that. An A student is excused to have an OK outing here and there, and you can't fault him for any of those individually, but if every effort is like, well then guess what. He's definitely not good.

As for the poll, I'm not going to vote just yet, because I can't decide just yet. On one hand, there's plenty of goalies out there that are better than Bryz and that we could sign, but on the other, he's definitely in the top 5 of my favourite goalies in the NHL, so I don't want to give up on him just yet. But if Snider can afford it, I think a buyout would not be a bad idea. I might wait another season, though, because I'm not sure there's a rush. That might also give the scouts the opportunity to scout the European leagues and fetch a good goalie.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Is there any objective statistic or measure that you can use to back up your assertion that Bryz is... i dunno, good? above average? [MOD]
I'd love to see some stats that isolate a goalies performance, but there are none.

Shootouts are about as good as it gets...but even still the offensive player screws up now and then, misses the net, puck rolls off the stick, ect.

I voted buyout, he's not worth 5.6 over 7 more years. He's a VERY good goalie when you can play him in a certain framework, but he's a horrible fit for the style of game we play.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 03-08-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Come on, man, a looooooooooot of our goals are opportunistic.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
bennysflyers16

I wish to god these Bryz defenders could of watched Jets vs Cats tonight. Paves made more massive saves tonight tHan Bryz has in a month. He and Markstrom were the reasons their teams earned points tonight. The idea that goalies don't have to stop chances when their team gives up great chances is ****ing stupid.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I wish to god these Bryz defenders could of watched Jets vs Cats tonight. Paves made more massive saves tonight tHan Bryz has in a month. He and Markstrom were the reasons their teams earned points tonight. The idea that goalies don't have to stop chances when their team gives up great chances is ****ing stupid.
BP1974 conveniently ignored my post providing video evidence of 30+ big saves around the league from one night of hockey alone. It only happens against the Flyers, and Bryz can't be expected to make any difficult saves.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
freakydallas13

I'd buy him out at the end of next year if he continues to perform poorly.

Closed Thread