HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

7 years or 8 years

Old
03-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Realm

vCash: 500
7 years or 8 years

Just watching Dreger talk about Corey Perry and a potential sign and trade so that he can get the 8 year deal with a new team. My question is how this rule is. It says re-sign with your team you can sign for 8 years. So if he was traded at the deadline to say Detroit for example, would he be allowed to sign a 8 year deal with Detroit in the off-season? Does the player have to sign with the original team that signed his deal?

Realm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
Just watching Dreger talk about Corey Perry and a potential sign and trade so that he can get the 8 year deal with a new team. My question is how this rule is. It says re-sign with your team you can sign for 8 years. So if he was traded at the deadline to say Detroit for example, would he be allowed to sign a 8 year deal with Detroit in the off-season? Does the player have to sign with the original team that signed his deal?
I believe it's to whatever team holds your rights.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I believe he would be allowed to sign an 8 year deal based simply off the premise that I thought this was the NHL/PA's way of making sure that small market teams would get some sort of compensation for losing their star players. I'm sure we'll more sign-and-trades under this CBA so I doubt he would go as far as the off-season if he's traded to sayyyy Detroit at the deadline

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:20 PM
schumway2

I predicted this when the CBA was signed. It's going to start to become like the NBA where no one really signs as a free agent anymore. It's all sign and trades with draft picks of not wanted salaries being exchanged.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
I predicted this when the CBA was signed. It's going to start to become like the NBA where no one really signs as a free agent anymore. It's all sign and trades with draft picks of not wanted salaries being exchanged.
I can live with that. It won't ever get as whacky as things are in the NBA where you have guys with $10 million contracts who are 5-10 minute players.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
As a UFA changing teams the max is 7 years.

the original team can resign him for 8 years max.

In a sin and trade it can be for 8 years because he is signin with the hometown team first then traded.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:02 AM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Does the previous team still have the right to sign a player to the 8th year after the start of free agency?

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:32 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

officially the rule is whoever holds your rights at the previous trade deadline can sign you for the extra year.

So if perry is traded before the deadline, the team that gets him can give him 8 years. If he isnt, the ducks are the only team that can give him 8 years. Either way, the team that signs perry to 8 years can still trade him afterwards, meaning sign-and-trades like the NBA can happen.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Legend Killer

How long after signing a 1 year deal can a player sign an extension?

Would this work...

Sign Perry to a 1 year max deal(with a verbal/written/backdoor agreement) to sign an 8 year extension as soon as that day comes.

Year 1= 9M cash/cap hit
Years 2-9= 8.25M cap hit

Turns a 7 year UFA deal into a 9 year UFA deal.

There is some risk of course but also 15+ M extra with the 2 extra years.

Could it work?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:08 AM
SFD22

No player (and the PA) would agree to that. What if Perry signs for the 1 year deal and then demos his leg or gets a career threatening concussion? Gentleman's agreement or not, no team would then re-sign a player that got Lindros-ed for big money.

SFD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22 View Post
No player (and the PA) would agree to that. What if Perry signs for the 1 year deal and then demos his leg or gets a career threatening concussion? Gentleman's agreement or not, no team would then re-sign a player that got Lindros-ed for big money.
Hossa signed a 1 year UFA deal in his prime

Edit- Semin just did as well

Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post

Hossa was chasing a cup

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
AlMo

^^Isn't Perry doing that?

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
^^Isn't Perry doing that?
The difference being that Hossa didn't have one, Perry does.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post

No one was willing to give multi-years at Semin without a significant yearly saving.

As for Hossa, it's not because 1 player did it that everyone would. If Hossa had suffered a significant injury in 2008-2009, he could very well have throw his next contract out of the window, which is 63.3M$...

Exception been taken out, you wont find many players interested in gambling a 7-10Millions bonus over potentially loosing 60M$.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
At least it's better than big free agents leaving for nothing

w e l o s t b o y s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

While I agree most players won't take a 1 yer deal as a ufa, I believe they can buy insurance against a career ending injury for the future years not yet signed. It probably wouldn't match what they could ultimately sign for but I'll bet it ain't chump change either.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Tellmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
While I agree most players won't take a 1 yer deal as a ufa, I believe they can buy insurance against a career ending injury for the future years not yet signed. It probably wouldn't match what they could ultimately sign for but I'll bet it ain't chump change either.
Couldn't you just sign a 1 year contract and then the same day sign a 8 year contract? You are allowed to sign a new contract the year before the old one ends? The first contract could be league maximum if the team can afford it and then you remove some over the 8 following years?

Tellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmeister View Post
Couldn't you just sign a 1 year contract and then the same day sign a 8 year contract? You are allowed to sign a new contract the year before the old one ends? The first contract could be league maximum if the team can afford it and then you remove some over the 8 following years?
Well, we will probably find out soon enough.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmeister View Post
Thats what I was talking about. I believe there is a certain date at which u can sign an extension.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I believe it's to whatever team holds your rights.
the team that has the player on their reserve list as of the trade deadline, and the 8 year contract has to be signed before July, see new CBA terms

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote