HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The demographic of non sport fans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM
  #1
Rick Nash homework
Registered User
 
Rick Nash homework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
The demographic of non sport fans

While this may not be hockey related I do wonder what the average non sport fan is like and how we can turn these apathetic people into hockey fans. One example of I've found in the non sport fan are usually they tend to be either female or a Hipster who thinks sports are the bred and circus in America. The NHL has the highest female fan base in all of the four major sport leagues based on a poll that was done few years ago with the NHL sample being 44% . The hipsters won't watch the games unless the NHL falls below MLS in popularity and they fell the need to check the games to be ironic.


Last edited by Rick Nash homework: 06-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Rick Nash homework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
  #2
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
Why do you think the NHL has the biggest female fan base?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
  #3
Rick Nash homework
Registered User
 
Rick Nash homework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Why do you think the NHL has the biggest female fan base?


Based on a poll I saw a few years ago.

Rick Nash homework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
  #4
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
I know. But what do you think is the reason why the NHL has such a high female fan base?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:22 AM
  #5
Swarez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Half the men in my accounting firm arn't sports fan, non are hipsters.

Some people just don't like sports. I personally don't like video games, nothing will change that. People like what they like.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 AM
  #6
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
I know. But what do you think is the reason why the NHL has such a high female fan base?
Have you seen Henrik Lundqvist/Patrick Sharp/Gabe Landeskog?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:58 AM
  #7
MartysBetterThanYou
Registered User
 
MartysBetterThanYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
The large female contingent of hockey fans probably has to do with the "clean-cut" image of the new nhl (compared to football, basketball, and steriod-ball...err...baseball) and their players that gets a lot of tween and teenage girls to latch on to nhl athletes. These Parise/Lundqvist etc. loving puckbunnies eventually become true hockey fans and grow up to be women who know and love hockey.

Many non-sports fans simply grew up in families where their parents did not watch sports and/or they did not play sports. With the exception of the Super Bowl, there is no such thing as an American monoculture anymore. Different parts of the population get exposed to different aspects of culture growing up.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
  #8
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,396
vCash: 500
Easy with the stereotyping, folks. Remember that HF is a very diverse group and most forumers' background is unknown. To the best of our ability, let's keep this discussion within the bounds of objective evidence -- market studies, surveys, etc.

Thanks.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:36 AM
  #9
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nash homework View Post
While this may not be hockey related I do wonder what the average non sport fan is like and how we can turn these apathetic people into hockey fans.
Why bother? If someone doesn't like sports they don't like sports. No big deal so why try to change them?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #10
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nash homework View Post
While this may not be hockey related I do wonder what the average non sport fan is like and how we can turn these apathetic people into hockey fans. One example of I've found in the non sport fan are usually they tend to be either female or a Hipster who thinks sports are the bred and circus in America. The NHL has the highest female fan bases in all of the four major sport leagues based on a poll that was done few years ago with the NHL sample being 44% . The hipsters won't watch the games unless the NHL falls below MLS in popularity and they fell the need to check the games to be ironic.
The Non-sports fans usually goes to Soccer games, at least up here in Seattle.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #11
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Interesting topic.

Well, to start, these new potential fans have to be exposed to the game. And thus, Bettman's grand plan of expansion, primarily into the south west. Secondly, these new potential fans have to be shown how to enjoy the game, not the sport, but the actual game. This can be achieved by supporting local minor leagues and getting kids involved. Also, tap into the existing sporting culture in the school systems and support local high school teams.

As much as the experiment in the desert has been an overall disaster, one thing that I liked is the growth of the game in local high schools in the greater Phoenix area. Where no schools had hockey teams 15 years ago, some now do. Certainly, by established market standards, the growth in Phoenix is neither high nor particularly impressive, but it is (was) in the right direction.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
  #12
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Why bother? If someone doesn't like sports they don't like sports. No big deal so why try to change them?
I agree. To me, nothing is more annoying than watching a game, the Super Bowl for example, with a non-sports fan who is trying to fit-in. There was a great episode of The Big Bang Theory where Penny reluctantly invited Leonard over to watch the Nebraska game with her friends.

I have found that most men are either a) really into sports 2) really into cars or 3) really into music. Some are into a combination of two or all 3. Me, I have very little interest in music or cars. I have been to a few concerts, but I am certainly not going to go to a bar to see some up and coming local bands, nor am I going to go a bar because they have live music. Nor, have I ever gone to a car show.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
  #13
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 500
You're never going to be able to convert non-sports fans by the sword. They have to come to sports naturally. I think this is why things like the Olympics are important... it gives hockey a platform to benefit from event viewing that it wouldn't otherwise have.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
  #14
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I bet chicks like hockey because hockey players are generally normal sized dudes. As opposed to giant, roided out freaks of nature like in the other major sports.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
  #15
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 729
This Gallup poll (2001) has a breakdown...

More Americans Are Fans of Pro Football Than Any Other Sport

Source:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1786/more...her-sport.aspx

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
  #16
scotchex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Some actual data would make this a useful discussion. Vague memories of a poll you may have seen some # of years ago doesn't count as data.
And a decade old poll isn't much better.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
  #17
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Women like to see men fight.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:41 PM
  #18
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,079
vCash: 500
It's probably because hockey players are more clean cut than the athletes in the other 3 major sports leagues.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
  #19
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
You're never going to be able to convert non-sports fans by the sword. They have to come to sports naturally. I think this is why things like the Olympics are important... it gives hockey a platform to benefit from event viewing that it wouldn't otherwise have.
Yes quite true, and Florida for example promoting themselves as an Event Destination, there just so happens to be a hockey game going on as well in order to appeal to a broader cross-section of the population. Obviously mixed results. The key really is to inculcate & foster loyalties with people when their in their formative years, ages 3 to 12. Some, many in fact, simply dont like sports, dont like phys ed, dont like participating in intramural let alone little league, be it baseball, hockey or whatever. Others of course sport specific, based on pre-disposition, socio economic environment, ease of access & availability etc. If the father or mother in the household are sports fans, very good chance the kids will adopt whatever sport/team their parents are loyal to and so on & so forth.

While the Olympics, Winter & Summer are indeed excellent platforms & portals through which someone of a formative age might find whatever sport or discipline beyond exciting, wanting to play it, compete, smitten, sold lock stock n' barrel, "what I wanna be", many older generations will simply watch the "event" part, the Opening & Closing Ceremonies, maybe keep an eye on Medal Counts so they can at least "sound" like they could give a frigg when the topic comes up at work or wherever, how their countries doing, but thats it. Olympic coverage is wall-wall, suffocating almost, even die-hards tuning out due to burnout, and if the games are in another time zone, opposite side of the World, forget it. Why watch something when you already know the outcome?

Really, the NHL collectively really needs to take a good hard look at itself in the mirror, put their money where the mouth is in "growing the game" by working with the franchises, league sponsors, the NHLPA, community & school groups, HockeyUSA/ Canada & others in proactively developing & building the infrastructure for entry at the grass roots levels. Secondly, I believe there are just way too many games, 82 plus post season & playoffs. Needs to be seriously cut back, each game more meaningful, an actual "event". All done by mid-April at the latest. Quality instead of quantity, more exclusive but as its a bigger deal, more appealing to the casual fan, ergo more inclusive. Obviously, less money short-term for the franchises & players, but long term, worth that short term pain.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
  #20
Watch for the Yeti
Say No to Oshie
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes quite true, and Florida for example promoting themselves as an Event Destination, there just so happens to be a hockey game going on as well in order to appeal to a broader cross-section of the population. Obviously mixed results. The key really is to inculcate & foster loyalties with people when their in their formative years, ages 3 to 12. Some, many in fact, simply dont like sports, dont like phys ed, dont like participating in intramural let alone little league, be it baseball, hockey or whatever. Others of course sport specific, based on pre-disposition, socio economic environment, ease of access & availability etc. If the father or mother in the household are sports fans, very good chance the kids will adopt whatever sport/team their parents are loyal to and so on & so forth.

While the Olympics, Winter & Summer are indeed excellent platforms & portals through which someone of a formative age might find whatever sport or discipline beyond exciting, wanting to play it, compete, smitten, sold lock stock n' barrel, "what I wanna be", many older generations will simply watch the "event" part, the Opening & Closing Ceremonies, maybe keep an eye on Medal Counts so they can at least "sound" like they could give a frigg when the topic comes up at work or wherever, how their countries doing, but thats it. Olympic coverage is wall-wall, suffocating almost, even die-hards tuning out due to burnout, and if the games are in another time zone, opposite side of the World, forget it. Why watch something when you already know the outcome?

Really, the NHL collectively really needs to take a good hard look at itself in the mirror, put their money where the mouth is in "growing the game" by working with the franchises, league sponsors, the NHLPA, community & school groups, HockeyUSA/ Canada & others in proactively developing & building the infrastructure for entry at the grass roots levels. Secondly, I believe there are just way too many games, 82 plus post season & playoffs. Needs to be seriously cut back, each game more meaningful, an actual "event". All done by mid-April at the latest. Quality instead of quantity, more exclusive but as its a bigger deal, more appealing to the casual fan, ergo more inclusive. Obviously, less money short-term for the franchises & players, but long term, worth that short term pain.
The NHL needs to invest more in youth hockey programs across the south and inner cities. It does great in the suburbs (at least in New England). Investing in more outdoor roller hockey rinks would be good too so kids up north can play year round.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
  #21
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
The NHL needs to invest more in youth hockey programs across the south and inner cities. It does great in the suburbs (at least in New England). Investing in more outdoor roller hockey rinks would be good too so kids up north can play year round.
Ya, for sure, along with synthetic ice surfaces. Inter-locking 4 X 8 panels. All kinds of things they could & should have been doing for decades. Pretty hollow & vacuous statement to justify expansions or relocations to the south, Florida, southwest etc with "in order to grow the game". Then just leave the individual franchisee's to their own devices & designs. Dallas, Anaheim & San Jose have all been pro-active that way, but the rest... its like the NHL just expects it to grow naturally through osmosis, and thats just not good enough. Takes forever. The NHLPA has a program called Dreams & Goals; parachuting in equipment, running clinics etc, inner cities, worldwide actually. Elements of that combined with financial, technical & educative support ongoing is whats required.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
  #22
Watch for the Yeti
Say No to Oshie
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, for sure, along with synthetic ice surfaces. Inter-locking 4 X 8 panels. All kinds of things they could & should have been doing for decades. Pretty hollow & vacuous statement to justify expansions or relocations to the south, Florida, southwest etc with "in order to grow the game". Then just leave the individual franchisee's to their own devices & designs. Dallas, Anaheim & San Jose have all been pro-active that way, but the rest... its like the NHL just expects it to grow naturally through osmosis, and thats just not good enough. Takes forever. The NHLPA has a program called Dreams & Goals; parachuting in equipment, running clinics etc, inner cities, worldwide actually. Elements of that combined with financial, technical & educative support ongoing is whats required.
So true about Anaheim, San Jose and Dallas' commitment to hockey. There's a reason why California and to a lesser extent Texas is developing hockey players while Florida, Carolina, etc. not so much. Investing in places that don't have the NHL would be ideal too. Like the American NW is a huge untapped market for the NHL, which they should look to expand too down the line,

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
  #23
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
Like the American NW is a huge untapped market for the NHL, which they should look to expand too down the line,
Ya, Seattle AND Portland. Do it properly. Of the 4 major sports in the US, the NHL's audience is the wealthiest, the one with the most disposable incomes per household, %'s of those with post secondary education & so on. So wealthier markets, like the two aforementioned you'd think would indeed be a priority. Works for NBC, sponsors, the Canucks, San Jose', LA & Ducks. Yet transverse to those demographics, the dichotomy of dichotomies, you have Dollar Store recently signing on as "Presenting Sponsor" in Anaheim, a short-term high interest payday loan & cheque cashing company who's audience & customer base is anything but well to do in the majority of cases; Amway in Detroit with the Wings doing same. Doesnt fit. They basically just prostitute themselves to whomever, all things to everyone, numbers & demographics moved around like just so much window dressing. Some integrity, real leadership, vision, that'd be nice. Casual fans see stuff like that, basically laugh, and "why bother", while the traditionalists & established fans, a lot of them turned off by it, the disregard for history, historical rivalries, the complete & utter commercialization of the game, everything for sale.


Last edited by Killion: 03-08-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:29 AM
  #24
MartysBetterThanYou
Registered User
 
MartysBetterThanYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
So true about Anaheim, San Jose and Dallas' commitment to hockey. There's a reason why California and to a lesser extent Texas is developing hockey players while Florida, Carolina, etc. not so much. Investing in places that don't have the NHL would be ideal too. Like the American NW is a huge untapped market for the NHL, which they should look to expand too down the line,
This is how you grow. The Devils endow a Hockey in Newark program that aims to build up youth hockey in the inner city. HiN provides free hockey development classes, clinics and intramural leagues, provides many of their players with equipment, as well as now sporting a travel team, the Newark Americans. The program is a feeder to the only urban high school hockey team in the state, East Side High School in Newark's Ironbound neighborhood, a Portuguese/Brazillian/Latin American community where many kids play soccer in other seasons, making winter hockey an easier sell.

I think more teams need programs like this, especially in areas that are not hockey hotbeds. It would be cool if the Wild did something to reach out and get kids in Minneapolis' Hmong community involved in hockey for example, or Dallas, Anaheim, LA, and Phoenix targeting Mexican-Americans.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
  #25
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
The simple reason woman like it more is that one is born into hockey. The big 3 get loads of casual fans, especially ones that switch by the seasons.

Anyhow as far as the non fans good luck with attracting them to hockey.

1) the sport is cartoonishly violent, how do you explain a fight in the first minute of the game? Seriously to someone in my generation a fist fight isn't something a civilized person does it's just not.

2) the fact that the sport is exceptionally elitist, atleast here in canada. Between the over agressive hockey dads/don cherry wannabe's, and sheer expense of travel+rink time, the private school image of many of the playesr and it's a wonder the sports even popular in canada.

3) Again even if ice time were free it's learning curve is far higher than say basketball or soccer.

4) watching sports as a spectator is a strange hobby in the best of circumstances. When you factor in cost of spectating, and the trouble finding games you wanna watch entry into hockey isn't easy. Especially when the play off's are in the spring.

5) Simple fact is there are tons of hobbies out there, when you find the reason you ignore them you'll have your answer. For me I can't understand how someone can go more than a week without going to a gym or playing guitar.

Anyhow this may seem like an anti hockey rant, but I think it's more of why I'm inclined to be against growing the sport. It's a niche sport, trying to force it on someone is absurd.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.