HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I read that the bloating feeling is a myth. When I was taking it a year ago, I felt the same way but this time around, nothing.
Definitely wasn't a myth for me. I felt like I had gained 1000 pounds of water just sloshing around inside me. It was horrible. Since then, I've stuck to protein shakes, and occasionally pre-workout stuff.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

vCash: 500
Any advice on losing the belly before the beach season in a few months? I've been lifting consistently for about a year now and have gained a ton of strength and I'm a lot more toned in most parts of my body, but I've also developed a bit of a belly at the same time. It's not a huge one, you can't see it when I have a shirt on and as long as I don't purposely stick it out you can't notice it shirtless, but it's still covering up any chance of abs showing and also makes my chest look less developed. I'm 6'0" 180 lbs and want to lose this damn belly but not the muscle I've gained.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Any advice on losing the belly before the beach season in a few months? I've been lifting consistently for about a year now and have gained a ton of strength and I'm a lot more toned in most parts of my body, but I've also developed a bit of a belly at the same time. It's not a huge one, you can't see it when I have a shirt on and as long as I don't purposely stick it out you can't notice it shirtless, but it's still covering up any chance of abs showing and also makes my chest look less developed. I'm 6'0" 180 lbs and want to lose this damn belly but not the muscle I've gained.
Try interval sprints. I do 2 minute blocks; 45 second sprint followed by 1:15 "light" run. Do 10 reps (so, 20 minutes total).

Old
03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
$10? $30? for memberships?

Try $100/month here. And the restrictions they put on you to cancel etc and payment terms are ridiculous.
Sounds like you are doing crossfit. Only place I can think of that charges that much.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Long answer:

Abs are made in the kitchen.
Start eating clean if you aren't already. Now to keep your muscle and get rid of fat, you need to be consuming at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight, so in your case 180 grams. You want the majority of protein consumption to come from foods; such as chicken, salmon etc. Protein shakes don't digest in your body as well as food.
I recommend that you start doing 45 minutes of intense cardio a day (elliptical, running, jogging, stair master, just whatever get's your heart rate up). Once you get closer to your goal such as summer, start doing 90 minutes of intense cardio a day until you are satisfied with your bf%. Break it up into two segments of 45.

Another tip to retaining your muscle is to consume around 25-45 carbs right before your workout (lifting or cardio). Doing that will help give you energy during your workout and prevent burning of muscle fibers as energy. One way you can do that is go to the local supplement shop and buy a clean carb complex (make sure it has low sugar) and mix one scoop in with your pre-workout (if you take one).

Short answer:

Diet and Cardio will get rid of the stubborn fat. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by Vip: 03-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 08:36 PM
KISSland

how the **** is this hiit??

Old
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Thanks for the tips.

I've been trying to eat healthier, I usually have steak, chicken, salmon for dinner. However, I also eat Pasta with meatballs once a week for dinner, and usually end up ordering out pizza and wings around once a week as well. Usually have 2 eggs and a bagel for breakfast with a side of oatmeal, or just a bowl of banana nut crunch if I'm in a rush. Lunch typically consists of eiter a grilled chicken sub from my favorite deli or a cajun chicken salad, or I'll get an assorted meat sandwich. I typically will snack on almonds throughout the day, and then around 9 or so I like to have a PBJ sandwich. Every now and then I'll get lazy and get a burger from five guys and destroy a bunch of fries to my mouth or go fill up on tacos from a local taco joint, but it's not an every day occurrence - I probably do that about once a week as well.

I go to the gym 5-6 times per week, for about an hour each session. I take a pre-workout if needed, and have a protein shake followed by every session and also a teaspoon of creatine.

Any critiques and anything I should change in my diet? Is the pizza and wings once a week too much? Am I possibly consuming too many carbs? (Bagel, sub bread, late night pbj sandwich)

Also, I never drink soda and also have been staying away from alcohol for the past month or so. I basically only drink water.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
KISSland

Lynk, XX, who ever

send me some kick ass hiit vids on youtube. Id say im beginner/intermediate

no im not running outside yet. Im too fat for that ****.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Thanks for the tips.

I've been trying to eat healthier, I usually have steak, chicken, salmon for dinner. However, I also eat Pasta with meatballs once a week for dinner, and usually end up ordering out pizza and wings around once a week as well. Usually have 2 eggs and a bagel for breakfast with a side of oatmeal, or just a bowl of banana nut crunch if I'm in a rush. Lunch typically consists of eiter a grilled chicken sub from my favorite deli or a cajun chicken salad, or I'll get an assorted meat sandwich. I typically will snack on almonds throughout the day, and then around 9 or so I like to have a PBJ sandwich.

I go to the gym 5-6 times per week, for about an hour each session. I take a pre-workout if needed, and have a protein shake followed by every session and also a teaspoon of creatine.

Any critiques and anything I should change in my diet? Is the pizza and wings once a week too much? Am I possibly consuming too many carbs? (Bagel, sub bread, late night pbj sandwich)

Also, I never drink soda and also have been staying away from alcohol for the past month or so. I basically only drink water.
Pizza and wings once a week shouldn't hurt. One thing you can try doing is maybe eating really healthy all week and then have one day set where you can eat whatever you want (without going too overboard). So say you eat healthy all week, then on Sunday you order Pizza/wings/beer etc. Having one cheat day a week will really help, as you stay disciplined all week and you get to reward yourself for it.

As far as carbs go, if you are consuming around 1 to 1.5 carbs per pound of body weight you should be ideal. I am saying this just based off of what I have learned while working in a supplement shop. I work with NPC competitors on a daily basis and these are all things I have picked up from people here and there.

The most ideal way to eat is to have 5-6 small meals a day. It's tough though. I am currently doing it and I have to prepare all of my meals before hand and place them in plastic containers. It truly is a pain.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Lynk, XX, who ever

send me some kick ass hiit vids on youtube. Id say im beginner/intermediate

no im not running outside yet. Im too fat for that ****.
Why don't you run at the gym?

And how fat are you? I feel like that's all you talk about. It's like you have body dismorphia.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Definitely wasn't a myth for me. I felt like I had gained 1000 pounds of water just sloshing around inside me. It was horrible. Since then, I've stuck to protein shakes, and occasionally pre-workout stuff.
That's my usual 101, take pre-workout before I hit the gym..after that, hit the protein shake.

It's been paying off..depends on what kind you take. Some pre-workouts work for me, some don't..depends on your body

Old
03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
That's my usual 101, take pre-workout before I hit the gym..after that, hit the protein shake.

It's been paying off..depends on what kind you take. Some pre-workouts work for me, some don't..depends on your body
I used to take pre workouts until I became immune to them. Now I basically drink them just as an energy drink. I should probably do a cleanse.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I take jack3d before I workout if I feel like I need the extra kick, but I recently started taking it again after not taking it for months since I ran out, and I don't get the same effect anymore. I did notice that the label said "new formula" when I bought it, but I just ignored it. It used to make me antsy as hell when I worked out, I kind of enjoyed it..don't get that from it anymore. Perhaps there was something dangerous they had to remove.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Why don't you run at the gym?

And how fat are you? I feel like that's all you talk about. It's like you have body dismorphia.
I don't go to the gym. I workout at home.

& Sht dude you might be onto something . =/ (seriously)

Ever since I've been going hardcore at this I've found myself guilty of:

- Obsessive thoughts about (a) perceived appearance defect(s).
- Obsessive and compulsive behaviors related to (a) perceived appearance defect(s) (see section below).
- Major depressive disorder symptoms.
- Delusional thoughts and beliefs related to (a) perceived appearance defect(s).
- social phobia, loneliness and self-imposed social isolation.
- Chronic low self-esteem.
- Feeling self-conscious in social environments; thinking that others notice and mock their perceived defect(s).
- Avoidant personality: avoiding leaving the home or only leaving the home at certain times.
- Seeing slightly varying image of self upon each instance of observing a mirror or reflective surface

etc

Last edited by KISSland: 03-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
I take jack3d before I workout if I feel like I need the extra kick, but I recently started taking it again after not taking it for months since I ran out, and I don't get the same effect anymore. I did notice that the label said "new formula" when I bought it, but I just ignored it. It used to make me antsy as hell when I worked out, I kind of enjoyed it..don't get that from it anymore. Perhaps there was something dangerous they had to remove.
They recently re-formulated it. It's not crack in a bottle like it used to be . But yes there was absolutely something dangerous. It was the 1-3 Dimethylamylamine that they removed. Apparently it could make you test positive for amphetamines.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The US military issued a massive recall of all methylhexanamine-containing products from all military exchange stores worldwide, after two soldiers suffered fatal heart attacks during training in 2010. Methylhexanamine was found in their blood.
Quote:
The death of Claire Squires, a runner who collapsed near the finish line of the April 2012 London Marathon, has been linked to DMAA. The Coroner stated that DMAA was "probably an important factor" during the inquest. It is believed that she consumed the substance through drinking an energy drink, which was subsequently adjusted to exclude DMAA.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

That's what happens when you workout for looks. Switch your focus on strength or endurance, and the looks will come naturally without the constant worrying. I know it's easy to think about looks when you are cutting/losing weight but try focusing on not losing the strength that you had when you were bigger or actually getting even stronger if you can.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
They recently re-formulated it. It's not crack in a bottle like it used to be . But yes there was absolutely something dangerous. It was the 1-3 Dimethylamylamine that they removed. Apparently it could make you test positive for amphetamines.
Hah, well I guess that is good then

I should probably look into stuff like this more since I believe there isn't much if any regulations or standards for the supplement market right now.

I've been considering dropping creatine, but I have definitely noticed better results since I've been on it and my muscles seem to recover better. The downside is I feel like all I do all day is drink water and piss.

As far as jack3d now, it pretty much is the equivalent of drinking a red bull for me I'd say.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

Ever since I've been going hardcore at this I've found myself guilty of:
Steps to getting over this ****:
1. Acquire adeqate footwear
2. Find area to run sprints in
3. Do the sprint program outlined here 100x
4. Get high as **** off the endorphins, forget all you worries
5. See results

Quote:

The most ideal way to eat is to have 5-6 small meals a day. It's tough though. I am currently doing it and I have to prepare all of my meals before hand and place them in plastic containers. It truly is a pain.
There is zero hard science supporting meal frequency as being better than eating everything in a few bigger meals. Do it for psychological reasons or convenience. Just don't tell people it's magically better, because it's not.

Quote:
DMAA, like ephedra, is not dangerous. Just consider that if you have a job related drug test coming up.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:

I should probably look into stuff like this more since I believe there isn't much if any regulations or standards for the supplement market right now.

I've been considering dropping creatine, but I have definitely noticed better results since I've been on it and my muscles seem to recover better. The downside is I feel like all I do all day is drink water and piss.

As far as jack3d now, it pretty much is the equivalent of drinking a red bull for me I'd say.
I used to take creatine but didn't really notice a change at all. Also, if you take too much of a certain kind of creatine it becomes toxic in your system. I don't really care for it. Good that it works for you though.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post

There is zero hard science supporting meal frequency as being better than eating everything in a few bigger meals. Do it for psychological reasons or convenience. Just don't tell people it's magically better, because it's not.

I guess if you don't consider every pro bodybuilder and NPC pro and/or competitor hard science.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
I used to take creatine but didn't really notice a change at all. Also, if you take too much of a certain kind of creatine it becomes toxic in your system. I don't really care for it. Good that it works for you though.
I take

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit...words=creatine

I just got it because it was cheap and had great reviews, I'm completely uneducated when it comes to the supplement market though.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
KISSland

Alright cats out of the ****ing bag might as well get the story out with my fellow hfbros

So I started at 250lbs (19 years old) at 5'7/8

I've always been a fat **** and compensated it by being an ******* to everyone to make myself feel better.

I was out one night with a group of my friends and we went karaoke and we took photos. I go on the computer later on to see the photos and see a ****ing whale next to a girl.

That's the moment I realized I needed to do something and I went at it since going off and on (on for about 6 months now).

Anyways fast forward to 2013 and I'm 170lbs, but the problem here is that my stomach got so ****ed up from the fat that my skin is loose. Not like 400+ getting down to 100lbs loose, but enough for making me feel like ****.

Main reason why I'm like the way I am. Cause I have this **** that I can't get over and continually see myself of being a fat mother ****er.

inb4theallthelols

Old
03-08-2013, 09:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I guess if you don't consider every pro bodybuilder and NPC pro and/or competitor hard science.
I don't. By definition, it's not. That's also a terrible appeal to authority. It's easier to stay disciplined if you are anal retentive like that particular subset, but for the general population 5-6 meals a day is an inconvenience. Also, pros eat a lot more calories, at which point dividing it up into different meals becomes necessary.

Quote:

Anyways fast forward to 2013 and I'm 170lbs, but the problem here is that my stomach got so ****ed up from the fat that my skin is loose. Not like 400+ getting down to 100lbs loose, but enough for making me feel like ****.
Do plenty of heavy weight ab work, and don't worry about it. If it doesn't improve, you'll need surgery to fix it. This is not really an uncommon problem, so I don't see the need to freak out over it. You're the equivalent of the female anorexic chick with bones showing at this point. Brighten up.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Alright cats out of the ****ing bag might as well get the story out with my fellow hfbros

So I started at 250lbs (19 years old) at 5'7/8

I've always been a fat **** and compensated it by being an ******* to everyone to make myself feel better.

I was out one night with a group of my friends and we went karaoke and we took photos. I go on the computer later on to see the photos and see a ****ing whale next to a girl.

That's the moment I realized I needed to do something and I went at it since going off and on (on for about 6 months now).

Main reason why I'm like the way I am. Cause I have this **** that I can't get over and continually see myself of being a fat mother ****er.

inb4theallthelols
Losing 80lbs in 6 months is a great accomplishment. Congrats bro, you should feel proud.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Do plenty of heavy weight ab work, and don't worry about it. If it doesn't improve, you'll need surgery to fix it. This is not really an uncommon problem, so I don't see the need to freak out over it. You're the equivalent of the female anorexic chick with bones showing at this point. Brighten up.
Can you give me a list of heavy ab workouts?

I just wanted abs when I started this ****. That was my goal and I felt it was realistic. Now it's likely impossible.

And I know it's funny you say that def one of the reasons I'm so "compatible" with the girl I'm seeing.

It sucks man having to wake up to what you have and feel like nothings changed.

Closed Thread