HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
tANNERRRR54

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
I'm really baffled. Just a brutal contract all around. Imagine the discount the Ducks could have gotten if they extended him last year when he had a down year.

Is he worth it? No, I just don't see it. I could easily see this contract crippling the Ducks in the future.
You're right, he isn't worth it. Let's just use Nick Bonino as our #1C next season.

tANNERRRR54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:31 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
This contract isn't bad. Just look at the Eric Staal contract. It's fine.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 03-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
tANNERRRR54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
8 more years for Getzlaf ? What a joke !

He was declining in the last three seasons, and now he is having a good 20 games and he signs that ?

Another lockout, please !
I don't even....

tANNERRRR54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Getzlaf is a beast. Whoever out there thinks this dude is overpaid needs to watch a few Ducks game. Being a Kings fan we get tortured by this guys offensive talents and hockey IQ a couple of times a year. Getzlaf makes scoring opportunities out of nothing. He makes the game look easy to play.

And now we have eight more years of this to deal with...

SpooKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Corban

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
It does matter, every team has 64m cap hit. But smaller market teams couldn't afford to fill it because of back diving contracts and how much the owners have to pay players.

If you have 3 players that take 5m cap your only losing 15m cap space. But you pay each player 15m (45m) that year its expensive. Your going to use less cap space because thats what you can afford.

But now you have 3 players (Perry/Getzlaf/Ryan) who each are 8.5m cap, your now using 25.5m cap space, but also only paying 25.5m to them. You now have 15m more to spend on players before reaching the same amount spent.

Crosby might not be a big deal, but compared to Minnesota. If they get Perry and Getzlaf they are paying more cap hit then them. But fork out less per year compared to Parise/Sutter and can afford more players. So for a team like Anaheim who is 20m under the cap can afford the cap rise while paying less per year so they are taking a cap hit, but paying less then other top players, hence why Getzlaf is cheaper(while on a team with cap space) then other players because he hurts his team less financially.
Look I get what you are saying, but the cap hit is exactly that, the cap hit. What a player might be getting paid year to year does not matter, it only is a factor to the owner/the one who is paying the bills. Sure if a owner has only a finite amount of money to spend each and every year then yes what you are talking about comes into play. But if you have a owner that has money ie. Burkle or other owners who have plenty of cash, they can afford to continue to pay as much as the salary cap allows.

Basically, rich owners = no problem, not so rich = have to pinch the pennies.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooKy View Post
Getzlaf is a beast. Whoever out there thinks this dude is overpaid needs to watch a few Ducks game. Being a Kings fan we get tortured by this guys offensive talents and hockey IQ a couple of times a year. Getzlaf makes scoring opportunities out of nothing. He makes the game look easy to play.

And now we have eight more years of this to deal with...
It's nice to have a post like this from a Kings fan, maybe it will open the eyes of the ignorant... but then again, who am I kidding.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:49 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

1 down, 1 to go

lol @ the typical overpaid comments, this is the going rate for an elite number 1 center who is 27 years old. given california state income taxes we have to pay a little more to make the deal more fair, i sense alot of mad since alot of you wanted Getzy for your own teams

funny i didn't hear this much complaining about Brad Richards deal, whos' on the wrong side of 30 though, stay thirsty HF

Last edited by KEEROLE Vatanen: 03-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.
KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think that he is worth it if he can play some full seasons. Last year was low in points but he was healthy (or at least played all 82). The previous 2 years he was in the high 60s for games played.

This also means that Perry will likely command something similar.

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
1 down, 1 to go

lol @ the typical overpaid comments, this is the going rate for an elite number 1 center who is 27 years old. given california state income taxes we have to pay a little more to make the deal more fair, i sense alot of mad since alot of you wanted Getzy for your own teams
Simply put, if you think this is an overpayment, you don't really understand how great of a player he is. He will be an elite player, in the top-ten/five in the scoring race, for the duration of this contract.

And I'm sure it's already been explained dozens of times, but the ages of caphit-circumvention are over. Players' caphits will now closely reflect what they're actually being paid year in and year out.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:06 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
Simply put, if you think this is an overpayment, you don't really understand how great of a player he is. He will be an elite player, in the top-ten/five in the scoring race, for the duration of this contract.

And I'm sure it's already been explained dozens of times, but the ages of caphit-circumvention are over. Players' caphits will now closely reflect what they're actually being paid year in and year out.
I agree with this post (that it is not an overpayment due to the new CBA) but you're delusional if you think he will be top-5/top-10 in scoring for the next 8 years.

Only once in his career has he been top-10 in points. He's never been top-5 in points.

That was also five years ago..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:08 PM
rypper

Congrats to the ducks, they had to keep him.

But seeing this deal makes me feel lucky we have henrik locked up at 6.1.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Yossarian54

Quote:

Yep. This is exactly what this CBA is designed to achieve.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Ducks just ruined the hot stove drama. Thanks alot

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:19 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
But you're delusional if you think he will be top-5/top-10 in scoring for the next 8 years.

Only once in his career has he been top-10 in points. He's never been top-5 in points.

And you're unaware of how talented he really is. And he's entering his prime right now, not five years ago. He's playing better than he's ever played. Ever.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I agree with this post (that it is not an overpayment due to the new CBA) but you're delusional if you think he will be top-5/top-10 in scoring for the next 8 years.

and yet his PPG almost every year as at a 90 point pace, unfortunately he's been hurt a few times. his production is constantly there when he's in the lineup

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
You guys think this is bad... just wait till some other players like Giroux or Malkin come up for extensions. Or wait till Edmonton has to deal with all there top players. Getzlaf/Perry is going to look like a cakewalk for Anaheim.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Quote:
It's nice to have a post like this from a Kings fan, maybe it will open the eyes of the ignorant... but then again, who am I kidding.
All of these "overpaid" replies and "not worth it" comments are hilarious. Getzlaf demands distance once he touches the puck - he backs opponents off then sets up that other monster on the team, Perry, for high scoring opportunities throughout the game. Points aside, dude contributes his high hockey IQ all of the time whether it's a simple dump in, defending the opposing center or setting up his teammates for one-timers.

He'll be a beast in this league for years to come and he would have been paid at least 8.25 in free agency. Hey look, I don't watch Ducks games if they're not playing the Kings, but those games alone he's worth every cent he just signed for.

SpooKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:35 PM
pavelbure604

overpaid by 1 mill, but do what you gotta do

pavelbure604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

yeah he's overpaid but ANA needed him badly

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
I don't think he's overpaid, I just think that with the term limit, this is what is going to be the new norm for first line/first pairing players. This is what Parise, Suter, Richards, etc; would have gotten if it weren't 12-13 years.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:18 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I don't think he's overpaid, I just think that with the term limit, this is what is going to be the new norm for first line/first pairing players. This is what Parise, Suter, Richards, etc; would have gotten if it weren't 12-13 years.
Parise and Sutter using the rules from this CBA would be a 14m cap hit with their current salary.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Parise and Sutter using the rules from this CBA would be a 14m cap hit with their current salary.
My guess is if we were playing by the current rules during last summer, Parise and Suter would've been in the neighborhood of $9m-$10m each over 7 years.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:28 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
My guess is if we were playing by the current rules during last summer, Parise and Suter would've been in the neighborhood of $9m-$10m each over 7 years.
Or would have stayed with their previous teams because of the extra year they can get some more money and have the lower cap.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Jerkini

It is absolutely astounding to me that people think it's too much money. I would love to have a Ryan Getzlaf at $8.25m.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
And you're unaware of how talented he really is. And he's entering his prime right now, not five years ago. He's playing better than he's ever played. Ever.
But so is everyone else..

Getzlaf is older than Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos and Tavares. All IMO better than Getzlaf. He'll be competing with them for the next 8 years. Then you have guys like Kovalchuk, Spezza and Kessel who will be fighting for top 5-10 spots for the next few years as well.

I hate that people claim "oh but you don't know how good he can really be" ... and you do why? He's shown he can hit 91 points in a career year, but what you see is what you get.. he can have all the talent in the world, if he's not producing.. then he's not producing. Telling me he his talented isn't changing the facts that he's BEEN talented and still hasn't hit top-5 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
and yet his PPG almost every year as at a 90 point pace, unfortunately he's been hurt a few times. his production is constantly there when he's in the lineup
Injuries play a significant role in top-5 and top-10 point lists.. if you can't stay healthy, you aren't getting on that list.

I think he's good enough to get top-10.. top-5 will take a special year for him. But to say he's going to be top-5/top-10 for the next eight years is foolish.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote