HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dubnyk . . . not the problem

Old
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
alexo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
You don't see that goal as a huge mistake? Thankfully Kruger did.

Occasionally lets in a bad goal? Dubnyk has started 21 games. I can easily point to a dozen games with at least one bad goal. What is the threshold for occasionally?

The least of our problems is goaltending? Dubnyk has been horrendous in February and March. That goal was the difference between being outplayed and escaping down one or knowing your goalie has let you down again. Killed the team tonight!

I didn't think anyone would be defending Dubnyk tonight. Is there anything he could do that you would find fault with?

The team needs to make many changes. Goaltending is definitely one of them.
In January, and February respectively, Dubnyk has had a 0.921 and 0.920 SV%.. wow, what a horrible goaltender! You sure know what you're talking about!!

He's had a bad March. We're barely in the month, and he's playing pretty much all the games. Like I said.. far, far from the real problem here.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
t0nedeff

ah bringing up the good ol save percentage stat. It's too bad I'm to lazy to look up the stats of how many games he has lost where he lets a terrible goal in that led to a loss. I bet you it's around the .800 mark.

t0nedeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:02 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
In January, and February respectively, Dubnyk has had a 0.921 and 0.920 SV%.. wow, what a horrible goaltender! You sure know what you're talking about!!

He's had a bad March. We're barely in the month, and he's playing pretty much all the games. Like I said.. far, far from the real problem here.
Lets in soft goals and never makes the amazing save to keep his team in a game. Not a true #1 in my books. I don't care what the stats say.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

He'll lose the job next season to a journeyman goalie.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Lets in soft goals and never makes the amazing save to keep his team in a game. Not a true #1 in my books. I don't care what the stats say.
He was making those saves early on in the season. He was suspect tonight but Danis made him look like he was preparing his hall of fame speech on the bench.

Goaltending is an issue that needs to be addressed but certainly not the priority at this stage. Not wih the amount of gaping holes we need to sew.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Six goals against tonight. That's not all on Dubynk. The system in Edmonton is too predictable. Teams are clueing in on the team's tendencies and the Oilers are incapable of adjusting. Guys end up standing around instead of reading the play and adjusting to it.

Could goaltending be better? Definitely. You've gotta either bring in a Vezina caliber guy (unrealistic) or fix the blueline and structure.
There is 1 in LA right now. Other than JB, I don't see any tenders that is ready for #1 job.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:22 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
He was making those saves early on in the season. He was suspect tonight but Danis made him look like he was preparing his hall of fame speech on the bench.

Goaltending is an issue that needs to be addressed but certainly not the priority at this stage. Not wih the amount of gaping holes we need to sew.
Goaltending isn't the main issue but its one of the issues plaguing this team.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Goaltending is the most significant position in hockey and its not even close. How an org can thing that Dubnyk and an aging dinosaur are "good enough" is unfathomable.

Especially in a capped league you're only ever going to go as far as your goalie takes you. This muck can't even get us out of last place.

Amazingly we pay something like 8M combined for this dirt netminding. A guy that never was and a guy past it. Great.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:16 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
When a floater of a shot from the other side of the Center line, it maybe time to question the goalie

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:03 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
Dubnyk is not the only problem but I think he is the biggest problem. He lets in way too many soft goals and I really question his drive to win and his desire to be better. I would take any starting goalie in the NHL over him.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Salo let in the same goal and vultures destroyed him too. Give it a break. He's not ideal under any circumstances but he is substantial at this stage. I'm in no desire able position or need to defend a position or player not this org. But he is one guy that has with his weakness' at least shown up and opposed adversity. Goaltending is a current issue long term but I'm still sinking a little hopeful faith into our Finnish friends.

Questioning his will to win is a fanatical fantasy to say the least.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Simply amazing!! I'm wondering how long it will take for some of you guys to realize, that this team ain't progressing, will never be competitive with the likes of Dubnyk, Horcoff, Smyth, Whitney as their regulars
I may have missed the plays--but in the last ten games how much has horcoff played?

The fact he has not played shows how little understanding you have of hockey and more interested in just hating a player.

But me me guess, that last thing a Horcoff hater wants to admit is that Horcoff actually may bring something to the table when he plays

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:14 AM
ithxan

vCash: 50
Agreed. Not Doobies fault at all. Team cant score.

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I may have missed the plays--but in the last ten games how much has horcoff played?

The fact he has not played shows how little understanding you have of hockey and more interested in just hating a player.

But me me guess, that last thing a Horcoff hater wants to admit is that Horcoff actually may bring something to the table when he plays
actually, i think this team will instantly start winning games if Horcoff returns anytime soon. what's the prediction on him btw?

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
shogun99

Doesn't matter what Dubnyk's SP is. I've watched every Oiler game this year and even though he's had some great games and made some amazing saves he lets in 1 weak or team deflating goal per game. These weak goals cause the team to work harder to get the W or lose the game. Grant Fuhr had a career SP of .899 and he rarely let in that team deflating goal. This isn't a new thing with Dubnyk, it goes all the way back to his junior days. He was a loser then also. We need a goalie that's a winner and doesn't let in those team deflating goals.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
He'll lose the job next season to a journeyman goalie.
Wouldn't have any problem with that. Only that heres another useless contract the management saw fit to dole out without any proof or substantiation he could even be a number 1.
imo Dubnyk wasn't even established as much of an NHL goalie when he got his contract.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Doesn't matter what Dubnyk's SP is. I've watched every Oiler game this year and even though he's had some great games and made some amazing saves he lets in 1 weak or team deflating goal per game. These weak goals cause the team to work harder to get the W or lose the game. Grant Fuhr had a career SP of .899 and he rarely let in that team deflating goal. This isn't a new thing with Dubnyk, it goes all the way back to his junior days. He was a loser then also. We need a goalie that's a winner and doesn't let in those team deflating goals.
lol every goal against this team is team deflating because they are terrible and don't score any goals.

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I think he's continuing to develop, but you don't necessarily want a developing goalie in net.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

In the past 4 seasons he has played more than any other forward, why limit it to 10 games?

He is probably the worst player statistically in the league over the last 4 years (counting this one), yet he has raked in $27 million during that time period. He averages less than 12 goals per year, despite getting huge ice-time on the powerplay.

What needs to stop is posters like you who simply can't face reality, much like our management team and media like Stauffer. Some of us are fed up with the useless veterans on this team year after year, and the ******* fans who think these jokes are contributing anything but lastplace finishes. We have finished 30, 30, 29 under Captain Horcoff. The guy is a complete and total failure, and the fact that he is injured yet again this year means nothing other than he will probably be even worse when he gets back than he has been for close to 4 years now.

Horcoff isn't the answer, never has been, and the management people who have the stink of this player on them - like Tambo, Lowe, and MacT - all need to be flushed from this organization permanently.

Smyth needs to go as well.

Then, we can use their capspace on an actual veteran center who can play.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 03-09-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Red Deer Rebel

The cap hit for Horcoff is $5.5 million. For Smyth, it is $2.25 million.

$7.75 million should get you somebody in free agency who is in their physical prime and can actually play hockey.

In fact, I'm sure of it.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

What's a much bigger team deflating problem is that the team can't ****ing score to save themselves. 5 on 5 they are pathetic.

27 5on5 goals in 24 games. 1 per game if they are lucky.

Unless they get PP time which they aren't getting lately... they have no hope.

Facts once again... Oilers allow the most shots against in the league and the GAA is 18th... not great but respectable considering the rubber their goalies face.

Offense at 5 on 5 is the worst in the NHL and overall goals for per game is 29th.

Elvis has left the building and taken any offense with him.

Goaltending isn't the issue until the team can score again. (Which they haven't done in 164.5 minutes by the way.)

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
grego

I listened to Canucks fans and heard their rage those years when in the playoffs Luongo pitched a shut out or 2 or let in one or 2 goals in some games, yet he was to blame for the team not advancing.

So yes with Vancouver logic we absolutely can blame Dubnyk even more since he isn't as good as Luongo and I am sure Vancouver fans would say they should have a few cup wins by now if it wasn't for the goalie choking

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Dubnyk, a problem

Bump, again.

Seems like every game we can bump this. In at least the last 3 games not Dubnyk has made a monumental error impacting the game immensely.

So last night its making a decision to go out to win a puck against Patrick Kane

Dubnyk wasn't even close to getting to that puck. What on Earth would cause him to make such a decision and especially at that point in the game.

To put it kindly he doesn't think the game consistently well and will continue to make mistakes like this. This is not the product at this point of age and experience, this is what we have here is a goalie that will get schooled by the best players in the worst moments and give up big goals against.

The Oilers have NEVER EVER ridden any goalie this bad in a playoff series. How they think this is their legitimate starter is beyond me.

Fortunately the Oilers still somehow managed to win the game yesterday but Dubs is hopeless.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I listened to Canucks fans and heard their rage those years when in the playoffs Luongo pitched a shut out or 2 or let in one or 2 goals in some games, yet he was to blame for the team not advancing.

So yes with Vancouver logic we absolutely can blame Dubnyk even more since he isn't as good as Luongo and I am sure Vancouver fans would say they should have a few cup wins by now if it wasn't for the goalie choking
But Luongo when on is game is imminently more talented than Dubs is on his. Lets remember that Luongo has had most of his struggling moments while experiencing the most pressure and expectation. On a club entirely PP reliant, in the playoffs, and playng against opponents where its known that ANY goal could be the winning goal.

Dubnyk plays on a club that is built for regular season and that doesn't have the fortitude to consistently grind out playoff wins. Grant Fuhr would possibly have trouble and be looked at much differently if any goal was going to undue the game.

We've never even seen Dubnyk face big game pressure. Given how his brain snaps now playing on a team thats never in the running I can't imagine how bad, and how many monumental gaffes Dubs makes when anything is on the line.

I would have zero confidence with this as a starting goalie in a playoff series.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:36 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Oilers have NEVER EVER ridden any goalie this bad in a playoff series. How they think this is their legitimate starter is beyond me.

Fortunately the Oilers still somehow managed to win the game yesterday but Dubs is hopeless.
fwiw the Oilers won't get the chance to see how Dubnyk can do in the playoffs. We simply won't get there with him as the #1.

Any word on his injury?

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote