HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 11:10 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I guess I kinda got used to the 6 lie, I get that elbow thing you're talking about but I'm comfortable with it. Was thinking of picking up a one60 if they're still available at the sport mart clearance.
I didn't like the one60. Felt OK at first but eventually didn't like the lie, weight, and balance once I put the wood end in. I didn't think the flex would suit me either but that's not the sticks fault. I took it home to handle and get a feel of after a recommendation, so I didn't shoot it, but if you can afford to stick (no pun intended) with whatever you have now and buy something better on clearance later, I would recommend that route, for what it's worth.

You should definitely be able to find it for 80-90 now in Canada, if you're US even cheaper.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:12 AM
God
Free Citizen

Cut the S19 about an inch, it made a world of difference. Went to stick and puck tonight and was getting way more strength on the shots. Thanks Jarick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I didn't like the one60. Felt OK at first but eventually didn't like the lie, weight, and balance once I put the wood end in. I didn't think the flex would suit me either but that's not the sticks fault. I took it home to handle and get a feel of after a recommendation, so I didn't shoot it, but if you can afford to stick (no pun intended) with whatever you have now and buy something better on clearance later, I would recommend that route, for what it's worth.

You should definitely be able to find it for 80-90 now in Canada, if you're US even cheaper.
I mostly just wait for clearances anyway. Sportchek is usually pretty good with clearing out old models.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
@Jarick:

The toe's absolutely destroyed on the bottom, and is working it's way up. After steady use this winter, it's probably an inch and a half from the top.
Do you use a pretty short stick? If you were to guess, would it be from shooting, faceoffs, play along the boards, or something else?

Old
03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I mostly just wait for clearances anyway. Sportchek is usually pretty good with clearing out old models.
Yeah they're clearing out now if I had to guess with kids hockey seasons ending.

I forgot to mention yesterday. I took wristers (well, more like snappers) on the shooting facility they had with the one60. I was the only one around and the kid on break was bored and let me shoot alot. I was using a Kane curve and they actually came off the stick nicely for a stick that's not even 100 now.

Good luck.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Do you use a pretty short stick? If you were to guess, would it be from shooting, faceoffs, play along the boards, or something else?
I just use whatever the stock length of it was. I usually shoot from either mid or heel, and don't take faceoffs, so I'd be surprised if that was it. It could be from toe dragging and board play.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
Yeah they're clearing out now if I had to guess with kids hockey seasons ending.

I forgot to mention yesterday. I took wristers (well, more like snappers) on the shooting facility they had with the one60. I was the only one around and the kid on break was bored and let me shoot alot. I was using a Kane curve and they actually came off the stick nicely for a stick that's not even 100 now.

Good luck.
Not really. It depends on where you go. Sales will always happen, but true clearances are not advertised and thus depends on stock and markdown reports.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

My beloved custom Bauer Total-One is just about pooched.

I like big toe curves with a slight heel curve (kinda like a golf club in a way) and 87-92 flex.

I take a lot of wrist shots, the odd clapper and like to be able to roof it in tight.

Any suggestions on sticks and/or curves?

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bauer Total One with the Ovechkin curve. It's pretty much the only curve on the market that has a moderate open twist at the heel and a toe kink. Obviously comes in 87 flex!

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 AM
esidebill

Any Backstrom/Toews clones are nice for wristers and mild slap shots. The Ovechkin is hilariously hard to control shots with in my opinion lol

Old
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
I just use whatever the stock length of it was. I usually shoot from either mid or heel, and don't take faceoffs, so I'd be surprised if that was it. It could be from toe dragging and board play.
That's a hard one. Maybe the stick is just old? I noticed last night a lot of guys with square toes had very chewed up blades. Never saw that much before.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
That's a hard one. Maybe the stick is just old? I noticed last night a lot of guys with square toes had very chewed up blades. Never saw that much before.
That would make alot of sense since the point of impact on a corner is alot worse than when it's distributed along a rounded blade. Think along the same lines of an elbow being the most effective single-striking option in fighting, it's a small hard point to strike with.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

So I need a stick suggestion. I have been using higher end models for a couple years now and I have $225 in gift cards so any price is good.

My main stick I was using was a Bauer Nexus 1000, P88, 77 flex. The blade cracked in half on one timer attempt last night so it had to be put down.

I'm looking for either a low or variable kick point. I liked the Nexus enough but I felt like it did not have a ton of pop. It did have a nice soft feel however.

The sticks I am considering are the CCM RBZ, Mako 2 (concerned about durability) and the APX. All in all I've had good luck with Bauer sticks, but was thinking of trying something new with the CCM. I've heard the face is really hot, but it can almost be considered too hot and that it is a little heavy for a top end stick. I've had an x60 before and it was a good stick but I did not like the curve so I sold it. So what direction do you guys think I should go?

Old
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
So I need a stick suggestion. I have been using higher end models for a couple years now and I have $225 in gift cards so any price is good.
Do you have any nearby stores that will let you try the stick?

I loved shooting with the CCM RBZ when I tried it, and it might be what you're looking for from the sound of it. A very unique stick. I've seen a couple comments on Mako's durability.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd go APX as the X:60 had more pop than anything I've ever used. Plus lightweight plus durable and the APX has a better blade. Haven't used the CCM though.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd go APX as the X:60 had more pop than anything I've ever used. Plus lightweight plus durable and the APX has a better blade. Haven't used the CCM though.
Yeah the more research I do the more I am leaning towards the APX. The RBZ kind of has the wow factor, but the APX is tried and true.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
OpenIceHit42

Anyone have advice or review on the Sherwood T100?

Old
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno about the T100 but I saw the T90 slim undercover and it looked awesome except for the fact that it's about 1/4" thick. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
newfr4u

has anyone used the mako? what's the difference between M2 and M5 and the top of the line?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Need advice again! I joined my buddies in a roller hockey league, and just playing outside on smooth concrete, and inside on sportcourt about 10 times my Miken Z9(thanks again Jarick) blade has started to crack on the bottom. I'm trying to find a similarly priced stick, $100-130, that is durable enough or can primarily be used to play rollerhockey.

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about durability, feel, etc. and my thoughts, as I have been browsing the prostock and clearance sticks have been between a pro stock A.I9, pro stock CCM U+ Crazy Light, or a Bauer totalone that just happens to be in my preferred flex. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, you guys have been very helpful before! I play defense, I don't take many slapshots(they're not allowed in my league), but do take many snapshots, or half windup slapshots(about thigh high on the back swing) that seemed to have doomed my Z9 rather quickly on the hard surfaces.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 03-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
AIREAYE

Forget the pro stocks, heck, forget the OPS. Opt for a two piece instead where you have the option to replace blades once they wear out. You'll hear the same thing over and over again if you browse through the thread.

I would go CCM Crossover for durability, but if you prefer a lighter combo, opt for composite blades.

As for the Mako, I could list all of the different features for you, but to be practical, as you move down, you get a heavier and less responsive stick, but slightly more durable, especially the M5.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I've been in here before looking but I went with Base because of the customizability and mid-level price. Today I just got notice that my Savoy Special is in the mail, so I'm pretty excited. My only negative is I don't live close enough to a store to avoid shipping costs.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:36 AM
TieClark

True story.... A Bauer one20 took 3 solid baseball swings against a cement wall to break last year.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
True story.... A Bauer one20 took 3 solid baseball swings against a cement wall to break last year.
Maybe you need to swing harder

Old
03-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Forget the pro stocks, heck, forget the OPS. Opt for a two piece instead where you have the option to replace blades once they wear out. You'll hear the same thing over and over again if you browse through the thread.

I would go CCM Crossover for durability, but if you prefer a lighter combo, opt for composite blades.

As for the Mako, I could list all of the different features for you, but to be practical, as you move down, you get a heavier and less responsive stick, but slightly more durable, especially the M5.
Thank you for the advice.

I decided to splurge(thanks tax return!), and went with an INT 77 flex Bauer Supreme NXG (about 1/2 an inch short for me) with a Supreme NXG blade(P2). Got out there tonight, absolutely love the stick. Feels a bit blade heavy, but not even close to being unbearable, although I might try a lighter blade on the next go around(I don't know if there is a lighter one). Puckhandling and passing was amazing, shot was a bit wobbly at times , but I think that is more on the user than the stick.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:28 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Need advice again! I joined my buddies in a roller hockey league, and just playing outside on smooth concrete, and inside on sportcourt about 10 times my Miken Z9(thanks again Jarick) blade has started to crack on the bottom. I'm trying to find a similarly priced stick, $100-130, that is durable enough or can primarily be used to play rollerhockey.

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about durability, feel, etc. and my thoughts, as I have been browsing the prostock and clearance sticks have been between a pro stock A.I9, pro stock CCM U+ Crazy Light, or a Bauer totalone that just happens to be in my preferred flex. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, you guys have been very helpful before! I play defense, I don't take many slapshots(they're not allowed in my league), but do take many snapshots, or half windup slapshots(about thigh high on the back swing) that seemed to have doomed my Z9 rather quickly on the hard surfaces.
Since the summer, I've been using Reebok 2k and 3k blades for roller hockey, and find them really enjoyable. I probably use my 3k stick more often than my 2k, nice composite stick with an abs blade for a really good price. Its pretty durable too, I usually play 1-2 times a week since the summer, and I'm only on my second 3k stick.

Closed Thread