HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

vCash: 500
I've never understood why HF boards care so much about over payments. If a team really wants to keep a player good for them...

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
But so is everyone else..

Getzlaf is older than Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos and Tavares. All IMO better than Getzlaf. He'll be competing with them for the next 8 years. Then you have guys like Kovalchuk, Spezza and Kessel who will be fighting for top 5-10 spots for the next few years as well.

I hate that people claim "oh but you don't know how good he can really be" ... and you do why? He's shown he can hit 91 points in a career year, but what you see is what you get.. he can have all the talent in the world, if he's not producing.. then he's not producing. Telling me he his talented isn't changing the facts that he's BEEN talented and still hasn't hit top-5 points.

Injuries play a significant role in top-5 and top-10 point lists.. if you can't stay healthy, you aren't getting on that list.

I think he's good enough to get top-10.. top-5 will take a special year for him. But to say he's going to be top-5/top-10 for the next eight years is foolish.
Sure they are better, but they also all make more money the Getzlaf. The only difference is the cap hit, and Malkin/Giroux/Stamkos/Spezza are all up for contracts shortly. You can expect them to get the same or even more then he does, if you think Malkin will have less then 10m cap hit your crazy. Don't compare old contracts with backdives to new contracts.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
What's the opposite of home town discount?

At least the Ducks got their man.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Puckgenius*

5 years would have been more ideal. Lets hope Getzlaf doesnt slow down much due to his physical style.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:17 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post

Why should hometown discounts apply to teams who don't spend to the cap?

You have the money. Pay the man!

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:41 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Sure they are better, but they also all make more money the Getzlaf. The only difference is the cap hit, and Malkin/Giroux/Stamkos/Spezza are all up for contracts shortly. You can expect them to get the same or even more then he does, if you think Malkin will have less then 10m cap hit your crazy. Don't compare old contracts with backdives to new contracts.
Where did I do that?

In fact, I posted about three lengthy posts where I compared Getzlaf's contract to recent ones of Richards, Parise and Suter and concluded that he actually took a pay cut relative to them and under the new CBA rules, they would be getting >9M a year.

I don't think this deal is an overpayment, it's just old spending habits under the new CBA. Top players like Getzlaf will get >8M now regularly.

I just took objection to one poster who claimed Getzlaf was so elite that he would be a top-5 point getter for the next eight years.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

well, he is certainly silencing the haters tonight

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
SFKingshomer

Seems like a lot for a team with an internal budget. Hopefully Perry re-signs for the same amount and they lose a lot of depth.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Getzlaf is by far their most important player. A genuine nr. 1C who can pile on points and excel in all situations is enormous. Perry might be as 'good' but he is not as important. Hence he is not worth paying the same.

Might be half a million too much or so, but if the alternative was losing him, good on Anaheim.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:13 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Imagine the discount the Ducks could have gotten if they extended him last year when he had a down year.
Oh sure, because you can always force a discount down a player's throat when he's having a down year. It's not like he has any say in the matter.

Besides which, the only "discount" they'd have gotten under the old CBA would have been on cap hit. In terms of actual dollars, they probably would have had to pay him more. The Ducks likely saved money by waiting until after the new CBA.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:18 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:

Blackmail.

"Pay up or you lose both Perry and I."

Good on Ducks for retaining him though. Cap hit may be a tad higher than expected but they retain a top 10 center in the NHL. It's pretty fair looking at comparable contracts like E.Staal. Disregard Getz's numbers last year and hope he stays back on track for the rest of his contract.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:52 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
But so is everyone else..

Getzlaf is older than Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos and Tavares. All IMO better than Getzlaf. He'll be competing with them for the next 8 years. Then you have guys like Kovalchuk, Spezza and Kessel who will be fighting for top 5-10 spots for the next few years as well.

I hate that people claim "oh but you don't know how good he can really be" ... and you do why? He's shown he can hit 91 points in a career year, but what you see is what you get.. he can have all the talent in the world, if he's not producing.. then he's not producing. Telling me he his talented isn't changing the facts that he's BEEN talented and still hasn't hit top-5 points.

Injuries play a significant role in top-5 and top-10 point lists.. if you can't stay healthy, you aren't getting on that list.

I think he's good enough to get top-10.. top-5 will take a special year for him. But to say he's going to be top-5/top-10 for the next eight years is foolish.
Ok.
Crosby is a bum, he'll be hurt again soon and Pittsburgh will look stupid
Am I doing this right?

Also not sure how you can rate Tavares and Giroux ahead of Getzlaf right now, they've had ONE better season than him. One.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:54 AM
OttawaSenators11

It's the term that is way long! I have no problem with the $$$.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Great for the Ducks..bad for the rest of the Pacific. all these "overpaid" comments are hilarious..go make more stupid trade proposals.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
And you're unaware of how talented he really is. And he's entering his prime right now, not five years ago. He's playing better than he's ever played. Ever.
Is this the only argument you have? Could you expand a little, instead of using the tired and empty "you don't watch him enough" excuse.

It IS possible some of us HAVE watched him play, know exactly how talented he is and can be, and that our opinions still hold value.No one here is saying he is bad, just that he is making an absurd amount of money. In six years I think most Ducks fans will agree, even though yeah... he's having a good 20 games.

Ducks showed their desperation and though they did need to sign him, this will make for some tight cap structuring for the Ducks for the next few years.

The Red Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Is this the only argument you have? Could you expand a little, instead of using the tired and empty "you don't watch him enough" excuse.

It IS possible some of us HAVE watched him play, know exactly how talented he is and can be, and that our opinions still hold value.No one here is saying he is bad, just that he is making an absurd amount of money. In six years I think most Ducks fans will agree, even though yeah... he's having a good 20 games.

Ducks showed their desperation and though they did need to sign him, this will make for some tight cap structuring for the Ducks for the next few years.
Good god, that contract was not the result of twenty games.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:21 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

he's had hundreds of good games, just stop it.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:25 AM
StringerBell

Quote:

According to Hockeycentral he did take a hometown discount. He was originally seeking $9M AAV but graciously accepted 8% less.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceff Jarter View Post
I've never understood why HF boards care so much about over payments. If a team really wants to keep a player good for them...
Either do I. And at those who think they know better Getzs value to the team than Ducks. "All-knowing" HF-boarders

Last edited by Roland of Gilead: 03-09-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:19 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They had to sign this guy with the Perry situation looming large. No choice as a franchise.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:37 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Ok.
Crosby is a bum, he'll be hurt again soon and Pittsburgh will look stupid
Am I doing this right?

Also not sure how you can rate Tavares and Giroux ahead of Getzlaf right now, they've had ONE better season than him. One.
Wait, you really want to argue that injuries don't contribute to who lands in the top 5 in points every year? That's just a foolish argument to even attempt.

You can have a 50 PPG pace, only play one game, tear your ACL and be out for the season.. and guess what, you won't be near the top 5 in points. Exaggerated but it's pretty simple. You need to stay healthy to be a top player in this league. Injuries aren't an excuse.

That one season that Tavares and Giroux were better than Getzlaf happened to be last season.. so I'm going to put them ahead of him until he out-produces them again.

And also, Giroux tied Getzlaf in points two years ago. Tavares wasn't too far behind. Both are two very good, young players who play with significantly worse talent than Getzlaf. Think Perry's 50 goal season helped Getzlaf's 57 assists a little bit (and vice versa)?

I think Getzlaf is up there but he's not a shoo-in for top 10 in points, let alone top 5. He's worth every penny of this contract.. don't get me wrong. But that doesn't automatically make him a top 10 forward.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:50 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Wait, you really want to argue that injuries don't contribute to who lands in the top 5 in points every year? That's just a foolish argument to even attempt.

You can have a 50 PPG pace, only play one game, tear your ACL and be out for the season.. and guess what, you won't be near the top 5 in points. Exaggerated but it's pretty simple. You need to stay healthy to be a top player in this league. Injuries aren't an excuse.

That one season that Tavares and Giroux were better than Getzlaf happened to be last season.. so I'm going to put them ahead of him until he out-produces them again.

And also, Giroux tied Getzlaf in points two years ago. Tavares wasn't too far behind. Both are two very good, young players who play with significantly worse talent than Getzlaf. Think Perry's 50 goal season helped Getzlaf's 57 assists a little bit (and vice versa)?

I think Getzlaf is up there but he's not a shoo-in for top 10 in points, let alone top 5. He's worth every penny of this contract.. don't get me wrong. But that doesn't automatically make him a top 10 forward.
Yeah except Getzlaf put those numbers up in 67 games, and Perry was great that year but people forget Getzlaf was dominant as soon as he returned, and helped to push Perry over the top

Old
03-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:

Yes, the poster you quoted is exaggerating, but that is the only substantial point in your post that is correct.

First off, no he is not making an absurd amount of money. It only seems that way because of the new CBA. This contract will become the norm for top players in the NHL under the new CBA. For example, both Parise/Suter signed deals worth around $100M last season, Getzlaf will make $66M. The difference is the cap hit, and that is what the lockout successfully changed.

Secondly, in no way, shape, or form does this make the Ducks cap structured in the upcoming years. The Ducks are around $20M under the cap next season and are not a cap spending team, thus this deal will not effect them. All this deal does is set the max for what they will pay Perry. If Perry wants more, then he will have to seek elsewhere.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:30 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceff Jarter View Post
I think a lot of people get annoyed because they know that it's likely to change the market a bit. Agents can use overpriced contracts in bargaining to get more for their client.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:37 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Yeah except Getzlaf put those numbers up in 67 games, and Perry was great that year but people forget Getzlaf was dominant as soon as he returned, and helped to push Perry over the top
I don't get how injuries aren't relevant, but I'm happy to see your post size continue to decrease as you find less points in my posts you have a chance of arguing with.

My original point remains. If you are expecting Getzlaf to be in the top 5 in points (even top 10) for each of the next eight years (as the original post I quoted claimed), please don't put your money where your mouth is.