HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 12:14 AM
  #26
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,695
vCash: 50
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=-7&id=215897

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:16 AM
  #27
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Khabibulin says hello from a wheelchair.

lol What is so epic is that there are quite a few good candidates.
another schrewd Tambo signing...signing an over-the-hill goalie to a 4-year contract

go to along with uselss Belanger, fragile Eager and Cam freaking Barker

btw, "one-leg" Whitney puts his name into the hat of most useless Oilers

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:17 AM
  #28
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Khabibulin says hello from a wheelchair.

lol What is so epic is that there are quite a few good candidates.
Khabi has actually played well. Smyth on the other hand...

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
  #29
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
another schrewd Tambo signing...signing an over-the-hill goalie to a 4-year contract

go to along with uselss Belanger, fragile Eager and Cam freaking Barker

btw, "one-leg" Whitney puts his name into the hat of most useless Oilers
Yup all awful signings. I think its tied who the most useless Oiler is.

Smyth or Potter?

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
  #30
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars
 
t0psh3lfclu7ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
im gonna go out on a limb here and say that nick shultz is more useless than ryan smyth

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
  #31
jbean
Registered User
 
jbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
another schrewd Tambo signing...signing an over-the-hill goalie to a 4-year contract

go to along with uselss Belanger, fragile Eager and Cam freaking Barker

btw, "one-leg" Whitney puts his name into the hat of most useless Oilers
Sadly Khabby isn't even close to the worse signing he has made so far. Also I think the Whitney trade was brutal because everyone in the NHL knew Whitney had chronic feet issues but we decided to roll the dice with him anyways.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:53 AM
  #32
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Type of goal that killed Salo's career.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 AM
  #33
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Type of goal that killed Salo's career.
A lot of goalies, if not most have let in a long range shot like that.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:35 AM
  #34
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
As big a fan of Smytty as I was during his prime years as an Oiler, I always had the feeling that he was far more of a fan favourite (for good reason) than an actual team leader. The 'Captain Canada' thing was okay for the WHC but seemed to have little bearing on his dressing room role in Edmonton.

A far different person than Glenn Anderson, the twilight of Smyth's Oilers career is unfolding in a very similar fashion: a once great player who was never a natural leader with nothing much to offer his younger teammates besides sub-par play and stories about the good old days.

Sad to see.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:48 AM
  #35
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
I hope he either retires or is bought out with a compliance buyout this summer.

If he's on the team next year, I'm going to puke.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:00 AM
  #36
Hitchslap
Registered User
 
Hitchslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 1600
Completely useless. He's at least 25% slower than any other player on the ice at any given time. Combine that with his pathetic effort, stone hands, soft shot, and you may just have the worst player in the league.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
  #37
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
The entire team is useless right now, yes, even the kids. The organization has ruined them.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
  #38
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,901
vCash: 50
Yesterday a caller ripped Snyth on Oilers lunch with Bob. Bob responded by saying Smyth "Tries really hard". That was followed by a bunch of deflection and quickly moving to the next caller....

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  #39
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 168
The least of our problems is a third-liner veteran.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
  #40
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,713
vCash: 2394
I'm not sure where people are getting this notion where I'm saying he's the biggest problem on the team. He's not.

That being said, he's making Horcoff look like Crosby. He does nothing out there.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
  #41
KarmaPolice
No Hope...
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,009
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
The least of our problems is a third-liner veteran.
More like fourth liner at this point. 3rd liners are supposed to be able to skate, make hits, and bring energy. Old man Smyth is finished, sorry to say. I'd honestly put him as a PB injury fill-in; I don't think he's good enough to play regularly on ANY line anymore.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #42
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,482
vCash: 500
The only thing worse about having Smyth on this team is that there are multiple challengers for his position as most useless player on this team. Ryan Smyth, Corey Potter, Ryan Whitney, Eric Belanger, and Ben Eager, the stuff dynasties are made of. Obviously the team has other problems too, but if we didn't have these bums floating around the ice every game, the there'd be some players to help take the pressure off/pick off the scoring slack of the slumping kids.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:32 PM
  #43
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
I soon as I heard we signed him for 2 more years., I knew it was a BIG mistake., I made my feelings known here on HF that same day and was getting roasted for it. I saw Smytty play at the Bell Ctr here, 3 years ago., and knew then that his playing days were over., He did and does not belong on this team. please get him ouuta here, likely no takers., just buy him out, the thought of another year

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
  #44
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,741
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
The only thing worse about having Smyth on this team is that there are multiple challengers for his position as most useless player on this team.
this is no surprise, though.

its been obvious for years that the vets in this organization were subpar workhorses who are now ready for the glue factory. Tambo just brought in more that were terrible choices at taking on ad hoc leadership roles in the situation of carrying along a young/dumb team.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:11 AM
  #45
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Firstly, I am a huge Ryan Smyth fan. Back in the day when I was a kid, I use to lineup at WEM for Smyth's autograph EVERY YEAR. I remembered getting it in 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2003. I still have pictures of me and Smyth posing for photos because I was a huge Smyth fan. He was my hero, my idol, and represented everything I loved about Oilers hockey. I was devastated when Smyth got traded and elated that Smyth got traded back to us in 2011.

However, regarding this thread, I COMPLETELY agree with the OP on this one.

Ryan Smyth is absoultely useless right now. He's slow, kills plays, doesn't do much defensively, doesn't go to the net and cause havoc for goalies and defense. Everytime he takes a stride, he looks gassed. He's a shell of the player I once loved and idolized growing up as a kid. Smyth is just taking up a roster space for players that are more useful. Like today, I would've preferred to see Smyth scratched instead of Ryan Jones.

It just kills me to say this but I hope Smyth retires now. There comes a time when I have to put aside my emotions and realize that the team (The Oilers) come first.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:21 AM
  #46
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Firstly, I am a huge Ryan Smyth fan. Back in the day when I was a kid, I use to lineup at WEM for Smyth's autograph EVERY YEAR. I remembered getting it in 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2003. I still have pictures of me and Smyth posing for photos because I was a huge Smyth fan. He was my hero, my idol, and represented everything I loved about Oilers hockey. I was devastated when Smyth got traded and elated that Smyth got traded back to us in 2011.

However, regarding this thread, I COMPLETELY agree with the OP on this one.

Ryan Smyth is absoultely useless right now. He's slow, kills plays, doesn't do much defensively, doesn't go to the net and cause havoc for goalies and defense. Everytime he takes a stride, he looks gassed. He's a shell of the player I once loved and idolized growing up as a kid. Smyth is just taking up a roster space for players that are more useful. Like today, I would've preferred to see Smyth scratched instead of Ryan Jones.

It just kills me to say this but I hope Smyth retires now. There comes a time when I have to put aside my emotions and realize that the team (The Oilers) come first.
And Hopefully Smyth realizes this as well and does right thing and hangs them up , he would have a lot more respect from Oiler fans.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:25 AM
  #47
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
Corey Potter says hello
Lennart Petrell says hello

Two players right there who Smyth is better than

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:35 AM
  #48
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
LOts of deadweight to clean: Habibulin, Potter, Whitney, Peckham, Smyth, petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, Belanger...
A new GM has work cut out for him. Hopefully, Whitney and Belanger can fetch a pair of mid-late round picks that can be parlayed into serviceable if overpaid veterans in the off-season. The rest will just have to be cut lose, waived or bought out.

Keep Hall, RNH, Yakupov, J. Schultz, Smid--everybody else should be in play come this summer.

Gagner, Hemsky, Eberle, Petry, N.Schultz, Paajarvi, Klefbom have some value--I would not mind if the new GM starts doing something with this ****** roster.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:37 AM
  #49
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
LOts of deadweight to clean: Habibulin, Potter, Whitney, Peckham, Smyth, petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, Belanger...
A new GM has work cut out for him. Hopefully, Whitney and Belanger can fetch a pair of mid-late round picks that can be parlayed into serviceable if overpaid veterans in the off-season. The rest will just have to be cut lose, waived or bought out.

Keep Hall, RNH, Yakupov, J. Schultz, Smid--everybody else should be in play come this summer.
Add Eberle to that keep list please.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:41 AM
  #50
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Add Eberle to that keep list please.
I like Eberle, but I think if there is a young player with high trade value, it is Eberle we can most afford to part with. Not Hall, not RNH, not Yakupov.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.