HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

ok what's wrong with QUICK!?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2013, 11:57 PM
  #76
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I love the number of goalie coaches in here who are convinced that in the matter of 17 games Quick has gone from all-world goalie to not even the goalie of the future for the Kings, while in 7 games, Bernier has gone from trade fodder to the future number one netminder of the defending Stanley Cup champions, replacing the reigning Conn Smythe trophy winner who is all of 32 months older than him. Who needs a GM when we have great minds like this?
Well said.

Seriously, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if Greene and Willie were healthy. FWIW, even with the inferior stats to Bernier, Quick has been the better goalie imo.

Just ask yourselves this: if we had to win that ONE game, which goalie would you start?

It's a no-brainer for me as it would be Quick all the way.

The Black1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:14 AM
  #77
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post

Seriously, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if Greene and Willie were healthy. FWIW, even with the inferior stats to Bernier, Quick has been the better goalie imo.

.
This is not true. Not even close bro. Not stats or any of our eyes say that.

I'm not saying Quick is toast, but to say Quick has been fine is absurd. to say that he's been better than Bernier is nothing more than playing favorites.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:23 AM
  #78
KingPuckChoo
Registered User
 
KingPuckChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This is not true. Not even close bro. Not stats or any of our eyes say that.

I'm not saying Quick is toast, but to say Quick has been fine is absurd. to say that he's been better than Bernier is nothing more than playing favorites.
and checkmate lol

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:27 AM
  #79
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This is not true. Not even close bro. Not stats or any of our eyes say that.

I'm not saying Quick is toast, but to say Quick has been fine is absurd. to say that he's been better than Bernier is nothing more than playing favorites.
If you were familiar with my posts, you'd know that I've always been a Bernier supporter. In fact, I've always said that JB would be the superior goaltender when everything is said and done. However, from what I've seen from Bernier this year, he's looked shaky. Bernier for the most part has been a non-factor in kings wins this year.

The Black1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:11 AM
  #80
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
If you were familiar with my posts, you'd know that I've always been a Bernier supporter. In fact, I've always said that JB would be the superior goaltender when everything is said and done. However, from what I've seen from Bernier this year, he's looked shaky. Bernier for the most part has been a non-factor in kings wins this year.
Maybe if you watched only the Anaheim game and the St. Louis game you may come away with that observation (and I would say letting in three redirected goals in the St. Louis game is not a "shaky" performance).

In all the other games he's started, "shaky" is the last word that would come to mind. He has been dominant.

Now, I still believe Quick should be the starter. The Dallas game was on the pathetic defense. Bernier wouldn't have had any chance on any of those four goals as well.

__________________
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:14 AM
  #81
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,940
vCash: 500
I think bernier's been solid this season, but I would not use the term 'dominant' to describe his play at all.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:28 AM
  #82
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think bernier's been solid this season, but I would not use the term 'dominant' to describe his play at all.
I'm not going to get into semantics, "dominant" or "solid" five wins in a row allowing only goal a game can be described either way.

It's five wins. That's the important thing.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:57 AM
  #83
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
People forget that Quick was a solid goalie for 2 years, then became amazing for 1 year. We are paying him to be the goalie from the 2 solid years since in order to replicate last year, he would be the best goalie ever. He is currently having his first slump for since the Sharks series. All goalies have slumps, he will be fine
There was an article a while back I quoted that talked about Quick's career numbers and when graphed out in 10-game slices, he swings wildly up and down the Save %, but ultimately evens out and has only gotten better over the course of his career.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:27 AM
  #84
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I love the number of goalie coaches in here who are convinced that in the matter of 17 games Quick has gone from all-world goalie to not even the goalie of the future for the Kings, while in 7 games, Bernier has gone from trade fodder to the future number one netminder of the defending Stanley Cup champions, replacing the reigning Conn Smythe trophy winner who is all of 32 months older than him. Who needs a GM when we have great minds like this?
Not worried about Quick, worried about the Huge holes in the Defense.

Cause even if Quick and Johnny B start to play out of their minds... The Defense can still lose the Kings important games.

If you can't keep GRADE A chances to zero or at least minimum. You are going to lose hockey games,(no matter how good your goalies are).

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:24 AM
  #85
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think bernier's been solid this season, but I would not use the term 'dominant' to describe his play at all.
Allowing 1 goal a game in a stretch of 5 games, isn't dominant at all.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:36 AM
  #86
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
If you were familiar with my posts, you'd know that I've always been a Bernier supporter. In fact, I've always said that JB would be the superior goaltender when everything is said and done. However, from what I've seen from Bernier this year, he's looked shaky. Bernier for the most part has been a non-factor in kings wins this year.
What are you talking about? Bernier has looked calm as cucumber while Quicks been over the place, no one is saying he's toast, people are saying that quick needs to get it together soon, no one is saying he can't get it together. Bernier has been better than Quick this season. Just because bernier isn't doing spread eagles doesn't mean he has nothing to do with wins. His forte is making things look easy maybe that's why you don't notice his play. Quicks problem imo doesn't look like physical problems, awareness issues and timings are just very off, maybe that's why they did an intense training with quick.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
  #87
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Allowing 1 goal a game in a stretch of 5 games, isn't dominant at all.
Yes, let's go strictly by numbers and ignore the fact he's looked shaky at times, the Detroit game being an example of one of those during your five game stretch. I like Bernier, but I'm not going to act like he's Patrick Roy back there at the moment.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  #88
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!
 
cyclones22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: United States
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Sutter has already called him out a couple of times this year. The Quick we're seeing now isn't even the Quick from 2 or 3 years ago, let alone last year. Maybe the back injury is playing with his head, but to solely blame the defense is wrong. Sure, I expect him to eventually get hot, but this is a short season and playing that waiting game could kill the team's playoff chances. Remember when we'd defend Quick's save percentage by countering with his win total? Well, now he's not doing well on either front. He's not "fine" by any stretch. To be clear, I'm not Team Bernier or Team Quick. I just want to see pucks stopped and wins accumulated. Doesn't matter who is in net.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
  #89
backhander
Registered User
 
backhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
he's still drunk...it's just a new hangover from the night before

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  #90
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Yes, let's go strictly by numbers and ignore the fact he's looked shaky at times, the Detroit game being an example of one of those during your five game stretch. I like Bernier, but I'm not going to act like he's Patrick Roy back there at the moment.
The hell you say.

He looked shaky because of a fluke goal off the top of his head and bobbling a puck on the other end? That's your position?

What about the rest of the game? I was there, he didn't look shaky at all, he looked solid.

Not sure why you feel he was shaky.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
  #91
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The hell you say.

He looked shaky because of a fluke goal off the top of his head and bobbling a puck on the other end? That's your position?

What about the rest of the game? I was there, he didn't look shaky at all, he looked solid.

Not sure why you feel he was shaky.
Being at the game, you're going to miss some of the closeup shots that we get at home.

The Black1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  #92
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The hell you say.

He looked shaky because of a fluke goal off the top of his head and bobbling a puck on the other end? That's your position?

What about the rest of the game? I was there, he didn't look shaky at all, he looked solid.

Not sure why you feel he was shaky.
And I watched that game. The guy bobbled a few pucks with his glove and had questionable rebound control. Frankly, though he faced a large number of shots, he wasn't really tested and in fact contributed to that shot count by bobbling pucks and giving up rebounds that the Wings got to. If you think that game was a great goaltending display, you're way off.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
  #93
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quick has not been fine, but I do think he is starting to track the puck a lot better in the last couple of games than he was early in the season.

I'm willing to be patient with him and want to see him get enough work to be sharp come playoffs.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:43 PM
  #94
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 3733
Quick's looking good to me. Anyone else sees an issue with his play?

The Black1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:31 AM
  #95
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Quick's looking good to me. Anyone else sees an issue with his play?
He looked great to me, but I was at the game, so tell me what I missed. :/

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:32 AM
  #96
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And I watched that game. The guy bobbled a few pucks with his glove and had questionable rebound control. Frankly, though he faced a large number of shots, he wasn't really tested and in fact contributed to that shot count by bobbling pucks and giving up rebounds that the Wings got to. If you think that game was a great goaltending display, you're way off.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

The Red Wings got one fluke goal. Otherwise, its a shutout. Tell me where I'm "way off." Please.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
  #97
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

The Red Wings got one fluke goal. Otherwise, its a shutout. Tell me where I'm "way off." Please.
You're 'way off' in thinking that was some great goaltending display. If the Wings could actually bury chances that wouldn't have been a one goal game. Bernier juggled that puck like a hand grenade several times that game. And as I said, they may have had 33 shots, but how many of those were because of a lack of rebound control by Bernier? You don't find it odd we allow an average of 24.2 shots against per game, but that game we allow 33? There's a reason and while some of it falls on the forwards who weren't backchecking very well in the first period, and a few real boneheaded passes by the D as well, Bernier's rebound control also factored into things quite a bit. The Red Wings aren't the Chicago Blackhawks, they aren't as good as we made them look that game, Bernier included.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  #98
HookKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Quick's looking good to me. Anyone else sees an issue with his play?
He's slowing getting better but no way last year would he have given up that Backlund goal.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  #99
santiclaws
Registered User
 
santiclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
He's slowing getting better but no way last year would he have given up that Backlund goal.
When Quick is not playing well it is his fundamentals which let him down - too much movement, especially with his feet, over-committing, getting his angles wrong or like yesterday not putting his stick down flat on the ice. He gets away with a lot of mistakes because he is such a fantastic athlete. When he is on top of his game, he is fundamentally sound in addition to his natural athleticism. He is still not there, although it seems he is improving. Hopefully when the playoffs roll around, he will be back to his form from last season.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:35 PM
  #100
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You're 'way off' in thinking that was some great goaltending display. If the Wings could actually bury chances that wouldn't have been a one goal game. Bernier juggled that puck like a hand grenade several times that game. And as I said, they may have had 33 shots, but how many of those were because of a lack of rebound control by Bernier? You don't find it odd we allow an average of 24.2 shots against per game, but that game we allow 33? There's a reason and while some of it falls on the forwards who weren't backchecking very well in the first period, and a few real boneheaded passes by the D as well, Bernier's rebound control also factored into things quite a bit. The Red Wings aren't the Chicago Blackhawks, they aren't as good as we made them look that game, Bernier included.
So what you are saying is that the Red Wings played a real good game, shot the puck at Bernier 33 times, and let in only one fluke goal? And we won?

I am not going to nitpick the entire game with you. If that's your perception, that's your perception. Despite their lack of defense, Detroit still has plenty of talent. You act as though the game was completely in the Kings' hands, and Detroit was "allowed" to play well in our defensive zone. Please. Detroit had something to say too about the flow of the game.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.