HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner

Old
03-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Is this a fair deal?

Gardiner + Grabovski + 1st

for

Eberle + 2nd
I don't know, trading firsts has come to bite the Leafs later on

One thing you can be certain about the Leafs is never be certain about them. They're playing good right now, but knowing our luck, we could easily pick 5th overall again at the draft.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Gardiner isn't? are you sure? cause 75 games played last year and leading all rookie D men in scoring has yes he is a proven NHL player.
Well, he's playing in the AHL. So no, he isn't an NHL player.

NEWFowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Is this a fair deal?

for

Eberle + 2nd
If this is closer to the deadline and Oilers are out of it while Toronto looks very much in then id do it. The difference of 15 picks is well worth it to get Eberle.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:10 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
9 Healthy D, 5 LHD, and the only LHD thats waiver exempt. Hmm he must be in the AHL because he sucks.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:11 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't know, trading firsts has come to bite the Leafs later on

One thing you can be certain about the Leafs is never be certain about them. They're playing good right now, but knowing our luck, we could easily pick 5th overall again at the draft.
OK, say hypothetically Leafs pick 20th and the Oilers 2nd would be 40th overall. I think that could work for both teams, no? As an Oilers fan I know everyone is attached to our kids but I'd be willing to part for some legit depth and good players and you get a star to line up with Kadri. Could end up to bite Edmonton but who knows.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
ya cause there wasn't a lockout or anything where he COULDN'T play in the NHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:18 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
OK, say hypothetically Leafs pick 20th and the Oilers 2nd would be 40th overall. I think that could work for both teams, no? As an Oilers fan I know everyone is attached to our kids but I'd be willing to part for some legit depth and good players and you get a star to line up with Kadri. Could end up to bite Edmonton but who knows.
best proposal on here I do it others might not.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
9 Healthy D, 5 LHD, and the only LHD thats waiver exempt. Hmm he must be in the AHL because he sucks.
this is a weak excuse. he's playing in the AHL because the leaf's have 9 healthy defenseman? thats weak. if you're good enough to play in the NHL and make a significant impact thats where you'll play. he obviously has things to work on in the AHL and thats why he's there...

he'll be a real good defenseman. I don't doubt that, I had high hopes for him to play on the ducks top-4 one day. But he isn't there yet, and its great that he's developing well down there, but he's obviously not beating out people on the depth chart yet in Toronto and thats fine, he's a young guy with lots of time to grow

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Eberle getting traded is pretty unrealistic ... Tambo should be looking to move our 1st instead and it will fetch us a similar return to what Eberle would bring..

EDM 1st + Peckham for Gardiner + Kulemin/someone else with toughness. Komarov (judging by his hits stats)?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Leaf fans do you think Rielly will be the better player?
Without question. Rielly is similar to Gardiner but is better in every aspect. Elite talent.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Eberle getting traded is pretty unrealistic ... Tambo should be looking to move our 1st instead and it will fetch us a similar return to what Eberle would bring..

EDM 1st + Peckham for Gardiner + Kulemin/someone else with toughness. Komarov (judging by his hits stats)?
The Leafs have finally built themselves a team. There's no way they're undoing their young character pieces so they can have a first round pick.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Like how Eberle, RHN, Schultz and Hall weren't NHL players in January?

Old
03-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
I think it's a great deal that helps both teams but I can't see the Oilers trading any of their young players just yet.

Eberle is more proven in the NHL and I just see the Oilers sticking with their forward group unless a guy like OEL is available, he's definitely inching his way towards the stud young D's in the league.

I think Eberle+ for OEL makes more sense than Gardiner++ for Eberle+. If the Leafs trade, I think it will be because Nonis found a way to get a #1C . Gardiner++ for a #1C.

Our D is not bad but it's slow as hell without Gardiner and Liles...Carlyle will get it sooner or later that it's better to have Liles/Gardiner than Kostka/Holzer in the lineup.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:28 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
this is a weak excuse. he's playing in the AHL because the leaf's have 9 healthy defenseman? thats weak. if you're good enough to play in the NHL and make a significant impact thats where you'll play. he obviously has things to work on in the AHL and thats why he's there...

he'll be a real good defenseman. I don't doubt that, I had high hopes for him to play on the ducks top-4 one day. But he isn't there yet, and its great that he's developing well down there, but he's obviously not beating out people on the depth chart yet in Toronto and thats fine, he's a young guy with lots of time to grow
It's not a Weak excuse it's simply a case of not messing with whats working and being at the 23 man limit with very few waiver exempt options

Old
03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post

So wave valuable assets so that Gardiner can play? You do realize we have to deal assets to get players into the line-up or else have to wave them. Its not as if were dealing Gardiner in favour of Franson for example. It just doesnt make sense.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:47 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

I'm just saying it would be a major shake-up and benefit both sides. Nobody thought Carter/Richards would be traded. Probably Erik Johnson either. Really unlikely to happen but it would be wild and I think it's fair.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Stephen

Quote:
So wave valuable assets so that Gardiner can play? You do realize we have to deal assets to get players into the line-up or else have to wave them. Its not as if were dealing Gardiner in favour of Franson for example. It just doesnt make sense.
We waived 'valuable' assets in Tim Connolly before so Kadri would play.

And before you explain to me how valuable Mike Kostka is, he's a AHL free agent. If we lost him, we could probably just sign up Paul Ranger. Or give some money to Chris Campoli if we were insistent on carrying 12 defensemen again.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:51 AM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:

Ask us again at draft time, if Monahan is still on the board I would make that deal (prefer to trade Komarov though). Gardiner and Schultz would be money together on the power play for you guys like they were with the Badgers. Monahan and Kadri gives us a 1-2 center combo for the next decade. We have Rielly to give us what Jake would have, and we could always take a defenseman like Hagg or Bowey or Morrissey at our pick.

TheMadHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:50 AM
CellarDweller0

There is a reason why Gardiner has been nixed by management from every counter offer. It will take a lot to get him, something along the lines of a budding 1C that has already had a very good 1st year in the NHL.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Ummmmmm Edmonton has 3 good wingers that i'm sure would peak Nonis interests.
Like I said, realistically.

On the wing, Toronto has Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lupul, James Van Riemsdyk, Matt Frattin, and Nikolai Kulemin. All of them are locked up for last year. Any deal that sees Gardiner move for a winger would have to be such a no-brainer, that it would make absolutely no sense for the other team to do it.

Quote:
Is this a fair deal?

for

Eberle + 2nd
Fairness has no place in trades. What it is -- is a terrible deal for the Leafs. Lose 2 positionally valuable players for 1 who plays at our strongest position, while downgrading a top pick. It makes absolutely no sense for the Leafs to commit $20m to 4 wingers for next year, with Kessel up for a raise, Matt Frattin at $900k, leaving our centres as Bozak/Kadri/McClement, and only 1 high potential defenceman (who's going to be a totally raw player next year).

If the Oilers wanted to do something around Gardiner & Eberle, it would probably have to be something along the lines of Gardiner + Lupul for Eberle, and I don't expect you to make that deal.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
This **** is getting old..If he is an all-star future HOF like most leaf fans think..Im sure he would be playing with the leafs..If it was a Karlsson and someone like Gryba was keeping him in the AHL i would be pissed. Same like with Holzer is with Gards.

CarknerCountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
This **** is getting old..If he is an all-star future HOF like most leaf fans think..Im sure he would be playing with the leafs..If it was a Karlsson and someone like Gryba was keeping him in the AHL i would be pissed. Same like with Holzer is with Gards.
He got a concussion, when he came back struggled a bit, so they sent him down because they could. Since then, the team has played excellent. One thing you'd know if you watched the Leafs -- Carlyle doesn't mess with a winning formula.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He got a concussion, when he came back struggled a bit, so they sent him down because they could. Since then, the team has played excellent. One thing you'd know if you watched the Leafs -- Carlyle doesn't mess with a winning formula.
oh ok so its possible if the leafs keep winning Gards wont be up at all..Ok i get that logic

Last edited by spiny norman: 03-09-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: [/QUOTE]
CarknerCountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:05 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
oh ok so its possible if the leafs keep winning Gards wont be up at all..Ok i get that logic
Anything's possible. It's probability dictates though, that a team cannot carry 9 healthy defencemen for that long... somebody's bound to get hurt.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Holzer isn't taking his spot? Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Fraser and Liles are LHD, Kostka, Holzer, Franson and Komisarek are RHD. He's not taking Phaneuf out of the lineup, were not waiving Gunnarsson, Liles is in the press box and Fraser is playing well. Who exactly should be thrown away for FREE to let Gardiner play? Come the trade deadline I can see one of them being traded to make room for Gardiner but waiving one for an extra 10 games of Gardiner is not good asset management. Don't look now your ignorance is showing!