HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It's Time To #FireTambo & #FireLowe

Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopronger View Post
Well if you follow the "penguins" model, this is the year we draft our jordan staal at number 2 overall.

2002 at 5th overall Ryan Whitney (our gagner at 6th overall)
2003 at 1st overall MAF (taylor hall)
2004 at 2nd overall Malkin (RNH)
2005 at 1st overall Crosby (yakupov)
2006 at 2nd overall J. Stall (??? Jones??)

So they had all that talent including crosby and still ended up at 29th in the league in 2005-2006.
Hmm interesting

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yeah .... I'm going to need to see a link on that.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=43

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Well if you follow the "penguins" model, this is the year we draft our jordan staal at number 2 overall.

So they had all that talent including crosby and still ended up at 29th in the league in 2005-2006.
To be fair the team that ended up 29th didn't have Malkin. They also had a team that was within an inch of getting moved before they got Crosby.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Wheatking

Man. Tencer really has little patience for people blaming Tambellini.

Last edited by Wheatking: 03-08-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Thing we need most is to develop a system to build around and kick everyone out who doesn't conform to it.
Yup, good GM's build a team with an end product in mind. KLowe has wholesale switched philosophies more than once.

Again the tough guy is a perfect example, it's going on six years now and they still haven't seemed to make up their minds whether we want one or not. We've gone from Laraque to team toughness to Tamby saying he wanted a nuclear option to wanted middle weights who can skate.

We wanted a goal scorer like Hossa and Heatly, but couldn't get one so we set out to draft them. Since then the focus has been so heavily invested in skill and development, that the trademarks of the oilers team that made it to the cup final have been decayed to nothing. Now we have a whole bunch of skilled players but lack hardworking, grinders which has historically been a strength (Torres, Green, Stoll, Brodziak, Glencross, Green etc)

We need to pick how we want to play and hire staff and draft players with a similar philosophy. Fast is not enough of an identity for a team

Absolute, catastrophic failure. Other than the waiver wire pick-up of Ryan Jones, it's hard to point to a single savvy trade or acquisition since the cup run. The transaction history since that run is rife with blatant mistakes with no consequences to the people in charge (LOWE)

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
boopronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
To be fair the team that ended up 29th didn't have Malkin. They also had a team that was within an inch of getting moved before they got Crosby.
good point.

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax53 View Post
Can you Pay me 1200 Bux for me to do that?
Exactly!! They already have our money!!!

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yeah .... I'm going to need to see a link on that.

** Edit - Tencer and Brown just took a call from someone asking this question directly. Tencer said that Tamby requires approval from Lowe on any "big" deal. He called the management team a "collective". Brown disagreed and said that he has always felt that being the GM Tamby had the final call on everything. Dan then went to commercial.
Lowe and Tambo have made many allusions to this before. I still remember hearing Tambo talk about preparing for one of the 1st overall picks (can't remember which year). He said he would do all the research and then present his findings to Lowe. Does that sound like somebody who is in charge? Even last year, when there was wide speculation that Tambo was dangling the pick in trades... Lowe ended all of that by going on the radio and strongly proclaiming, "We're picking at #1." How many snippets like this do you need to hear before you believe that Lowe is the boss? My guess is Tambo handles the regular, day-to-day business but when it comes to anything more everything I've heard leads me to reasonably assert that Lowe us making the final decisions.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Man. Tencer is really has little patience for people blaming Tambellini.
What was really funny was the one caller who was mostly level-headed but still critical of management who actually said, "I know you guys don't want to criticize the boss (referring to Tambo)." I was waiting to see if Tencer would respond to that comment, but he ignored it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Philly85
Moody'

This thread needs to be stickied or something, and explode with replies in support of the message. Lurkers, sleepers, speak up. This is bigger than the Oilers. Help save the organization, or at least help start the change.

Media, fans, everyone has to speak up.

No one in their right mind should be remotely supportive of this current regime.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I am 100% on the FireTambo bandwagon, the FireLowe bandwagon I'm kind of 'meh' on he just needs to have minimal input into the final decisions there is no problem with leaving him on as an elder statesman in an advisory capacity he just can't have a vote at the table it should be that simple.

The whole fire Krueger thing is just stupid though, I'm not going to completely relieve Krueger of any responsibility for the product on the ice, but if we are going to get a new GM let them bring in the coach and the people they want instead of saddling them with ones from the prior regime, plus any quick decisions firings will probably result in naming one of Steve Smith or Bucky being named interim head coach which is a horrifying and sobering thought.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:52 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks.

I think that quote is in contrast to other statements made by Katz .... like this one - "Tamby has the absolute green light to do whatever he needs to do to rebuild the hockey club.

It also contrasts to Tamby's own words - "My job is to look at this entire organization," he said. "I've been given the authority to do that and make this not a good organization, but a great organization. Am I pushing people in different areas of this organization? Yes, I am.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:00 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

So many things wrong, where do you start but to blow it all up (management). Here's a few of my own personal observations that don't get discussed much here.

Cozy relationship between a certain player and ownership. Means that said player and his cronies don't really have to buy in to any coaching whatsoever. Anything they don't like? Just do an end run around coaching staff. Want an example of the effect? Examine Chicago. Many hockey writers point to the firing of one of the assistant coaches over the summer. The one who was a crony of ownership. The one who players could go through if they didn't like what Quenville/Kitchen were asking them to do. This year? The 'leak' is now plugged. Chicago looks damned good and everybody buys in.

Fan-boy, meddlesome ownership. While we can't do much more than speculate. things sure smell like this. I suspect that nothing would make Katz happier than to have the entire Oilers team from 84/85 be under his employ. The man made money being savvy and shrewd in business. I think if you look around, it's not hard to find billionaire sports team owners who betray their own supposed smarts when they get themselves a huge ego-toy like a sports franchise. I get the sense that Katz might just be the smartest kid in the room, and unfortunately the problem is that he appears to believe that he truly is.

The teams 'best' player for years has no game and does not elevate the play of his linemates. Whatever you might think of Hemsky? He must be included in what's so wrong with this team. Highly over-rated imo. Why always dump on Belanger? Or Horcoff or Smyth for that matter. Hemsky has been so indifferent and lacking in real compete for a long time now. It's not enough that he does the occasional highlight reel play. He must take his share of the blame for the lack of veteran leadership.

Management... See my previous comments about Katz. It all comes down to Katz. And this depresses me because I just can't buy what he is selling. I don't even know if he knows what he is selling. He has what he wants. I just hope he wakes up from his stupor before it's too late and the team gets chased out of Edmonton because of never-ending ineptitude.

The fallacy of "Oiler Hockey". Seriously, what is this? Marketing 101? Sell the message hard enough so that it becomes the truth? That, unfortunately, is on all of us. Not because we're stupid or anything. We just want our team to show us it has a pulse. The customer usually wins the PR battles because we hold the wallets that pay for it all. But these are very strange times and I'm not convinced conventional marketplace wisdom will win the day. The disconnect between what is before our eyes and what we're being told is before our eyes is too hard to ignore.

Time to drink.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Distinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
So many things wrong, where do you start but to blow it all up (management). Here's a few of my own personal observations that don't get discussed much here.

Cozy relationship between a certain player and ownership. Means that said player and his cronies don't really have to buy in to any coaching whatsoever. Anything they don't like? Just do an end run around coaching staff. Want an example of the effect? Examine Chicago. Many hockey writers point to the firing of one of the assistant coaches over the summer. The one who was a crony of ownership. The one who players could go through if they didn't like what Quenville/Kitchen were asking them to do. This year? The 'leak' is now plugged. Chicago looks damned good and everybody buys in.

Fan-boy, meddlesome ownership. While we can't do much more than speculate. things sure smell like this. I suspect that nothing would make Katz happier than to have the entire Oilers team from 84/85 be under his employ. The man made money being savvy and shrewd in business. I think if you look around, it's not hard to find billionaire sports team owners who betray their own supposed smarts when they get themselves a huge ego-toy like a sports franchise. I get the sense that Katz might just be the smartest kid in the room, and unfortunately the problem is that he appears to believe that he truly is.

The teams 'best' player for years has no game and does not elevate the play of his linemates. Whatever you might think of Hemsky? He must be included in what's so wrong with this team. Highly over-rated imo. Why always dump on Belanger? Or Horcoff or Smyth for that matter. Hemsky has been so indifferent and lacking in real compete for a long time now. It's not enough that he does the occasional highlight reel play. He must take his share of the blame for the lack of veteran leadership.

Management... See my previous comments about Katz. It all comes down to Katz. And this depresses me because I just can't buy what he is selling. I don't even know if he knows what he is selling. He has what he wants. I just hope he wakes up from his stupor before it's too late and the team gets chased out of Edmonton because of never-ending ineptitude.

The fallacy of "Oiler Hockey". Seriously, what is this? Marketing 101? Sell the message hard enough so that it becomes the truth? That, unfortunately, is on all of us. Not because we're stupid or anything. We just want our team to show us it has a pulse. The customer usually wins the PR battles because we hold the wallets that pay for it all. But these are very strange times and I'm not convinced conventional marketplace wisdom will win the day. The disconnect between what is before our eyes and what we're being told is before our eyes is too hard to ignore.

Time to drink.
Quality.

Distinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:05 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'm actually shocked at this point that anyone wouldn't realize that Tambo is a puppet of this regime. Always was... always will be. Most of us have been saying that for years now and it's easy enough to see by what goes on in the org.

It's always been a planned rebuild on the part of Katz/Lowe/Tambo and the rest of the management "inner circle".

What's happened up until now is EXACTLY what was expected. They are ******** the bed this year more than expected but the rebuild won't be blown up... they will stay on track with the rebuild.

They've huddled and schemed to put the "build through the draft" philosophy in place and develop their talent internally to rebuild the team in a 4-6 year time window. All the moves they have made have made that very obvious... no major pieces obtained... live or die with the youth they are developing.

Lowe is the man Katz wants in charge to oversee the "grand plan"... Tambo is the puppet frontman who is the mouthpiece for management... walks up to the podium... talks about being competitive... how he expects the team to to be improved each year...goal is the playoffs... blah blah... on and on.

Never actually says anything too specific about how they will achieve that with the group they have and always keeps details of the obvious prolonged tank phase of the rebuild as "non-obvious" as he can make it.

They knew it would take several years from when they blew it up and drafted Hall... likely half a decade or longer.

Do I think there will be massive changes because the team is ******** the bed this season?

Nope. Maybe some optics move to appease the near rioting masses. Krueger's head may roll... maybe even Tambo to make it appear like something "has to be done"... as losing constantly is unacceptable.

Rebuild goes on... minor REAL changes will be made... the fate of the team still relies on the slow and steady development of the youth within the org... and they'll welcome yet another top prospect with their top draft pick this summer.

And so it continues... either be patient and wait for this rebuild to play itself out over the next 2-3 years with the majority of this current management group in place or switch to another team because you are not going to see radical changes take place outside of shell games to make it appear changes are being made.

I personally was always onboard the rebuild when it began... no other real choice. The team is simply ****ed if this talented core turns out to be not so talented after all... there will likely be another decade of wandering in the desert at that point.

You either have faith that this core will deliver us to Nirvana and have the patience to see the rebuild through... or get out of Dodge and find a better team to support. I hear Chicago is a very good team this season. They'll likely be starting a new winning streak in the next game they play.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 03-09-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: spelling
nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:07 AM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
fire erbody stat

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:22 AM
bleed_oil

Is there a point in even discussing this issue? Will anything happen?
I doubt it. Maybe they fire Tambo and hire Mact to replace him. Its all a wash to me.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:35 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Is there a point in even discussing this issue? Will anything happen?
I doubt it. Maybe they fire Tambo and hire Mact to replace him. Its all a wash to me.
I guess it all depends on your perspective. History suggests Katz is very loyal and is largely content with his choice of personnel to run his hockey team. Nothing really suggests otherwise.

That said the fan discontent hasnt been this high since the days right before Mact was fired/quit, even after Katz sent his gasbag mouthpiece a text proclaiming Mact wasnt going anywhere.

What does this mean? I think it means Katz doesnt WANT to do anything, but if pushed hard enough into a corner, he will act if he has to.

It is up to the fans to get pissed off enough to push him into that corner.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:53 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Posted this somewhere else but it's totally relevant:

"The Oilers should fire Tambellini TONIGHT. Show some balls.
Have you looked at our roster? Signing 2 rookies and 2 castoffs of other teams is supposed to make the team better? Hiring a coach with no past experience? How about failing to address the clear needs this team has such as no grit, no size and a lack of defence? We need a complete overhaul and it starts at the top.

And that's also forgetting to mention the porous goaltending we have which has been a question for the past several years. Tambellini has done nothing to improve the roster besides drafting high. This failure falls on him and trickles down to the players."

I even forgot to mention the lack of quality vets.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Needles

President/GM: Brian Burke

Head coach: Lindy Ruff

#FireTambo, #FireLowe

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I guess it all depends on your perspective. History suggests Katz is very loyal and is largely content with his choice of personnel to run his hockey team. Nothing really suggests otherwise.

That said the fan discontent hasnt been this high since the days right before Mact was fired/quit, even after Katz sent his gasbag mouthpiece a text proclaiming Mact wasnt going anywhere.

What does this mean? I think it means Katz doesnt WANT to do anything, but if pushed hard enough into a corner, he will act if he has to.

It is up to the fans to get pissed off enough to push him into that corner.
From a lot of the fans I've encountered this week, it's almost turning from being pissed off to appathy. People just laugh and shake their head when discussing this team now. I've heard none of the usual "another lottery pick will be good" or "just trade this guy for that guy" crap that I've heard constantly for three years. It's pretty much just general disbelief that the team remains as awful as they were the day the rebuild began. At some point frustration eventually takes its toll and people don't care anymore. It's getting close to that point I'd say.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
From a lot of the fans I've encountered this week, it's almost turning from being pissed off to appathy. People just laugh and shake their head when discussing this team now. I've heard noe of the usual "another lottery pick will be good" or "just trade this guy for that guy" crap that I've heard constantly for three years. It's pretty much just general disbelief that the team remains as awful as they were the day the rebuild began. At some point frustration eventually takes its toll and people don't care anymore. It's getting close to that point I'd say.
Perhaps, but as long as sth's keep renewing every year, that's all that matters to the apothecary. When some of the long time season ticket holders start to pack it in, that just may be the wake up call Dr Feelgood needs to act.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Perhaps, but as long as sth's keep renewing every year, that's all that matters to the apothecary. When some of the long time season ticket holders start to pack it in, that just may be the wake up call Dr Feelgood needs to act.
The fact that there's a season ticket waiting list that people are paying money to be on just disgusts me. Seriously, paying this organization for the right to one day pay them a whole bunch more for tickets after the crap Katz/Lowe/Tambo have rammed down our throats for 5 years? Unreal.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:05 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

I agree with this, but didn't they also have a GM or major coaching change in there?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I agree with this, but didn't they also have a GM or major coaching change in there?
And an ownership change. Pre-lockout they were terrible due to being bankrupt and having to sell off all their good players for peanuts. Coming out of the cancelled season they signed several high-profile free agents, even though they didn't pan out. Their situation and ours are completely different.