HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 6-0: Look at all the Goals we don't score!

Old
03-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This wasn't an unexpected consequence by some of us. Young players (surrounded by junk veterans) expected to play tough minutes before they are ready.

A recipe for failure all around.
Yet Gagner, Hall, Eberle, now Yak, J Schultz are doing fine under this same pressure.

RNH has completely melted down.

Not even a semblance of an NHL game now. Those holding out faint hope on his defensive game can't even be touting that now.

He's plain awful at both ends of the rink and getting spanked on every shift.

Of any of our players RNH lacks the physique for the rigors of pro hockey. This guy has the build of a bantam player.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Honestly, with those kind of stats and numbers, he would be watching the press box in vancouver.

AV for example does not give that much time to players, they need to learn the system, learn how to play defense and offense. Two way street.

This is a kind of coach Oilers need, honestly, Edmonton is going at it with Laaa deee daaaa focus, and don't care.

I just watched the game tonight, and that was the worst I have seen the oilers play in the last 3 years imo.

I think it's fairly obvious a Management change would be best, and go figure a PERFECT coach is available in lindy ruff (torts 2.0), and you guys need to get him before it's 2 late.

Also this team has basically zero leadership. The vets can barely play, let alone lead by example.

If I was the owner of the oilers I would do these 10 things to start

1 - Fire Lowe, and tambo
2 - Hire Lindy Ruff as a coach, Let him sign the assistants.
3 - Try to make a Big trade for a power forward....Oh wait COREY FRICKAN PERRY is available you say?. The oilers out of all teams have ALL the assets to trade for a guy like him. Make it a SIGN and TRADE, give up Hall/rnh/yaku/ or eberle for him. (Yes you need to give to have).
4 - Sign Depth guys who can actually ****ing play and be gritty at the same time. (You guys laughed at the prust signing, what now?)
5 - Get a more DEFENSIVE system until the oilers LEARN to play a two way game, then eventually transition into an offensive system with the talent you guys have on the roster.
6 - Enough is enough, get a true #1 goalie, Dubnyk has been "good" and has not been the "problem" But he is far from the solution.
7 - Add some Depth, true depth on the back end, no more plugs, Get a vet D-man who can TEACH the young kids like schultz the ins and outs.
8 - For the love of god get somebody in who has pedigree, and who can automatically get some accountability for the team.
9 - TURN THE TEAMS LOSING MENTALITY INTO A WINNING ONE, Take it ONE game at a time, LOSING is NOT good enough, Make them know if they play bad, they will sit, If they play well, they will get rewarded.
10 - Accept the fact this is a BAD team, that want's change. Try to draft better, Focus on the Back end out. This is not a fantasy team, no excuse for grabbing guys like yakupov over murray.

Anyways, flame away.

PS - yes my grammer is ****, yes I am a canucks fan that comes here often, and yes I do hate on the oilers here and there. (and yes I know the "trades" can't easily happen, but the rest can)
I don't know theres anything here I disagree with. Well, with the exception of Yak. He's going to be a power forward. Very talented and strong young player.

But yeah, we need help in Net, D, and Center. Tamblowe goes out and gets us Brown for their sure cure. jebus

Old
03-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Anyway... this organization has completely flatlined. This club would struggle to beat mediocre and top teams in the American Hockey League right now.

Remember all of the ******** fervor about getting MacT fired? Well Oilers fans need a similar movement right now in the worst way... only we need to actually act on it. I'd really love to see a protest organized in front of the Oilers head office in Kingsway. We need to stop sitting on our hands. The organization is ************ us and gouging paying customers right up the arse.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Baggers

This is a problem with the condensed schedule.

Team starts losing - starts losing confidence - has to fly around the country and play another game - loses again - loses more confidence ...

Right now the team looks tired and bereft of any confidence.

It's not totally his fault, but I think it might be time to fire Krueger.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Started off well?

They had one shot, from a shorthanded breakaway, in the first 8 minutes of the game...
I'm not sure if he even meant it.. Nuge gives some of the worst, most cliched interviews.. it probably just rolled through his mind and then out of his mouth like a turd you couldn't squeeze in

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't know theres anything here I disagree with. Well, with the exception of Yak. He's going to be a power forward. Very talented and strong young player.

But yeah, we need help in Net, D, and Center. Tamblowe goes out and gets us Brown for their sure cure. jebus
I know yakupov is going to be a stud, but sometimes you need organization needs over pure talent. Murray would be a #1/#2 pairing d-man for the oilers for years to come. You guys have already some great young offensive forward talent.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:01 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Yet Gagner, Hall, Eberle, now Yak, J Schultz are doing fine under this same pressure.

Not even a semblance of an NHL game now. Those holding out faint hope on his defensive game can't even be touting that now.

Of any of our players RNH lacks the physique for the rigors of pro hockey. This guy has the build of a bantam player.
Umm...J Shultz and Yak are not doing fine. Not sure what you are watching there. Yak is a turnover machine and J Schultz has been out of position more often than not. Doing as expected on this sad sack team maybe...doing fine...I dont think so.

I expect both to be fine players but this is not the environment to accomplish positive development.

Gagner has been much better but its his 6th year of pro...he should be doing better.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:07 AM
Hitchslap

What the hell has happened to RNH? I don't buy the shoulder injury thing at all. He's just not using his agility and hockey IQ the same way he did last year. I am not overly concerned with is because he's too smart a player for this continue on to next year... but man, he's not creating anything out there.

I think adding a good goaltender could be a huge step to get rid of the losing culture. If we had a goalie that could steal us some wins it may get some of the guys going...

Management obviously needs to be gutted, and Krueger absolutely needs to go. I'm not even gonna discuss any "system" he may or may not be trying to implement, but his handling of players has been just terrible. I still can't get over how stupid the last two 4 on 3 PP's in OT were: Gagner, RNH, Hemsky, Eberle. For the full two minutes. Twice. Pure stupidity.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:

For a guy who has always praised Gagner and point out how young he is, it sure is interesting that you
constantly trash RNH every chance that you get.
How exactly are Schultz, Eberle and Yak doing well under pressure? It seems by this statement and many others that you have a clear agenda against RNH.

What did you expect from a 19 year old kid with a slight frame who is now drawing tougher matchups?
There are so many things wrong with this team yet you constantly point to him as a scapegoat. He is obviously not pulling his weight but he shouldn't be expected to at this point in his career. He is still a project and will require patience.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
PS

might be interesting to people to note RNH in his last 10GP is -7 and has 1 assist and 1point in that span.

Playing 20/mins night on topline and with topline players. Also on first unit PP.

This is flatlined people.

What do we do?
He hasn't been that bad defensively, prior to tonight that is. He has piss poor defensively tonight. The problem is that Gagner couldn't jumpstart Hall or Eberle either last game. Switch Paajarvi and Yakupov with Paajarvi and Nail and RNH would look better than he has (this was done against Detroit and he looked much better). The whole top line is playing horribly right now. Hall is slow, Eberle is banged up, and RNH is not right it seems. So while it might be popular to crap on RNH, the fact remains that he is the 2nd youngest player on this team and TBH he has the most pressure on him of any player on this team with the possible exception of Dubnyk. That said there's plenty of blame to go around and RNH does deserve some of it.

03-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Shanahanigans

the sad thing is, I went from pissed of before....to even more pissed off...to indifferent right now. And I'll probably stay that way until some changes come in management.

Also, one player I absolutely cannot be pissed off at, and Don't see how anyone can be either, is RNH.

19 year old, 185lb centre being asked to be carry nearly the full load defensively and offensively in the toughest position in hockey in the best league in the world. Jonathan Toews was a rookie at 19.

This kid has to match up against the Sedins, Getzlaf,Thornton,Benn,Koivu and many other huge centres in the west, PLUS is being asked to be a near ppg player. He's being put in a position to fail, BIG time. There is absolutely no way any 19 year old skinny kid could be expected to do what the coaching staff and management is expecting RNH to do right now. All this while playing with a shoulder injury.

It's ridiculous. I really hope they don't ruin him as a player after this season.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
For a guy who has always praised Gagner and point out how young he is, it sure is interesting that you
How exactly are Schultz, Eberle and Yak doing well under pressure? It seems by this statement and many others that you have a clear agenda against RNH.

What did you expect from a 19 year old kid with a slight frame who is now drawing tougher matchups?
There are so many things wrong with this team yet you constantly point to him as a scapegoat. He is obviously not pulling his weight but he shouldn't be expected to at this point in his career. He is still a project and will require patience.
If he is still a project like you say, wouldn't it be smarter for him to learn in the AHL level first and move up?.

Could help his confidence also

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Umm...J Shultz and Yak are not doing fine. Not sure what you are watching there. Yak is a turnover machine and J Schultz has been out of position more often than not. Doing as expected on this sad sack team maybe...doing fine...I dont think so.

I expect both to be fine players but this is not the environment to accomplish positive development.

Gagner has been much better but its his 6th year of pro...he should be doing better.
You're not following me. Young stud forwards are picked primarily for the ability to be gifted players capable of production. Period.
You don't draft Guy Carboneau with a top pick in the world.

Yak is doing fine with his production. Very good with goal scoring actually for a rookie and considering minutes played and the very limited use of this player. For instance if we had been featuring him on the PP as much as Nuge he could have 10 goals by now. Really I could care less at this point what is GA is, he's a raw rookie, he'll learn more about those aspects of the game and he's on track.

J Schultz has struggled somewhat but hasn't had a lot of help from his partner in crime who is a team worst -15 and has been just awful this season. ftr J Schultz is -8 and playing with some composure despite some players around him imploding.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:13 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If he is still a project like you say, wouldn't it be smarter for him to learn in the AHL level first and move up?.

Could help his confidence also
No, the AHL actually hurt his game if anything. He along with Hall and Eberle started developing bad habits down there that have carried over to this season. There's no going back now, he's going to have to learn in a trial by fire. Tambellini is going to have to give him proper support because when all else fails, he only has other young players to count on with little veteran support.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:14 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

Ralph Kruger = worst coach in the history of sports. If we're going to lose atleast let em run and gun. I won't mind losing 5 4 at this point. My prediction is the oilers will never have a winning record at any point while the Kevin Lowe regime remains in edmonton. They hire a rookie defensive ****ing boring "motivational speaking" baboon instead of an established NHL minded coach. Bad organizations make bad moves, that simple. Where is our saviour Katz? Probably in his million dollar house plotting other ways to scam taxpayers.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
#Oilers first even-strength scoring chance was a missed shot by RNH, 24 minutes into the game.
Good.... God.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

Its quite simple. When you draft a number 1 forward in the world its by and large for their ability to produce. Period.

Every other go to young player on this club is producing. Every go to player on this club has NEVER had this long a stretch of being absolutely incapable of bagging a goal. 1 goal in his last 35GP. Name one other player not named Stortini who has been this stone cold here.

jk with the latter.

Gagner had a much harder situation when he broke in here as an 18year old and was in topsix immediately and with virtually no help. He wasn't playing with top young players in the world either. He was playing with guys like Cogs and Nilsson.

That RNH is THIS bad at producing while playing with Hall, Eberle, J Schultz is astounding.

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Agreed, I really wouldn't say that anyone is doing overly fine. Paajarvi is looking more like prospect than suspect so maybe he gets a nod. Everyone else sans Gagner and his many bounces that have gone his way to compliment his good play has been underwhelming relative to what they should be. Not to mention that the 6th year pro is currently worse in faceoffs than the 19 year old who is facing the oppositions top players night in and night out. The whole top line, Nail and J. Schultz lack confidence right now. Part of that IMO is the lack of PP opportunities. We have 4 more games on the road so far than home games and we have only 4 more PP's to show for it. On top of that our PP is a paltry 7/50 or 14% on the road. We aren't getting it done on the road, nor are we drawing calls on the road, some of that is the refs and playing Detroit twice but some of that is our energy guys not creating havoc around the net.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Good.... God.
How does a fudged shot represent a scoring chance?

Thats like saying I have a chance to win the lottery if only I bought a ticket..

Old
03-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This was my favorite tweet from the evening.

Quote:
Benjamin Massey ‏@Lord_Bob
Oh, these #Oilers. Chicago is going to beat us by a score that isn't even numbers. We're going to lose epsilon-0

Old
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He hasn't been that bad defensively, prior to tonight that is. He has piss poor defensively tonight. The problem is that Gagner couldn't jumpstart Hall or Eberle either last game. Switch Paajarvi and Yakupov with Paajarvi and Nail and RNH would look better than he has (this was done against Detroit and he looked much better). The whole top line is playing horribly right now. Hall is slow, Eberle is banged up, and RNH is not right it seems. So while it might be popular to crap on RNH, the fact remains that he is the 2nd youngest player on this team and TBH he has the most pressure on him of any player on this team with the possible exception of Dubnyk. That said there's plenty of blame to go around and RNH does deserve some of it.
Right now tbh I'm pissed off at his level of compete, his preparedness for this year, and his usual pollyanna attitude towards proceedings. Does this guy ever get upset? Really I want to see a player acting like he's upset or pissed off in the middle of this type of horrendous streak. His whole approach to the game and his post game comments tonight kind of speaks to him understating things and not being very bothered by it.

Cue up Smid, J Schultz and Nuges post game comments from tonight. For both Smid and J Schultz it looks like they are deeply disturbed by it, upset, and don't like the state of affairs. Nuge on the other hand thinks the team "started out well', last night. Just gotta play better, keep doing the right things. One gets the sense of someone that could be playing video games 20mins after the debacle.

**** I'm seeing a budding Horcoff here with the pad answers and his blood pressure not deviating from normal.

Yeah, I want to see RNH upset about his play and start owning it and start from there.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Coldhardmitch

I am finding this all very cathartic, thanks guys. It's nice to know this situation pains other people as much as it does me.

Coldhardmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:29 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Its quite simple. When you draft a number 1 forward in the world its by and large for their ability to produce. Period.

Every other go to young player on this club is producing. Every go to player on this club has NEVER had this long a stretch of being absolutely incapable of bagging a goal. 1 goal in his last 35GP. Name one other player not named Stortini who has been this stone cold here.

jk with the latter.

Gagner had a much harder situation when he broke in here as an 18year old and was in topsix immediately and with virtually no help. He wasn't playing with top young players in the world either. He was playing with guys like Cogs and Nilsson.

That RNH is THIS bad at producing while playing with Hall, Eberle, J Schultz is astounding.
I hate the word and it has been used around here to a vomit inducing level but with this particular player, we need to preach PATIENCE.
I also think a couple of things. His schedule was really hectic going from the AHL and that goofy schedule to Russia and the WJC's right back to Oilers camp with little preparation so he had to go from playing an AHL game to a Junior game to an NHL game in short order with limited training camp and no preseason, it seems that he hasn't recovered.

I also think that his shoulder is clearly hurting, i've never seen him this lethargic and on top of all that, his game is still pretty raw. Keep in mind, that a lot of his production came on the PP last season, his 5 on 5 game last season was pretty raw so his game needs to mature plus the confidence of the team is shot and that's spreading to him ane his linemates.
He will be a great player, i have little doubts about this. It's the rest of the team that i'm worried about long term.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Haha... this one is good too.

Quote:
Justin McD ‏@justmarkermcd
I'm watching a horror movie where three kids go on a road trip and get slaughtered six nights in a row starring @RNH_93 @hallsy04 @ebs_14

Old
03-09-2013, 02:42 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I think I am done watching Oilers games live. The great thing about the internet is I can download games the same day or the next day and unless the Oilers win I don't feel like wasting 2+ hours of my time watching the team embarrass themselves. Dubnyk sucks, and Khabibulin is old and washed up. Last I heard the Oilers had some salary cap room so why don't they buy a good goalie and some decent defensemen so they don't suck so bad?

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote