HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tired of the Oilers in the lottery?

View Poll Results: Does it annoy you to see the Oilers headed for another potential #1 overall pick?
Yes 222 71.38%
No 31 9.97%
Undecided/ Don't give a **** 58 18.65%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 500
Tired of the Oilers in the lottery?

Simple question. Are you sick and tired of seeing the Oilers headed for yet another lottery pick? Seems almost unfair that they should be getting rewarded for sucking this much and for this long.

Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Jean Ralphio

I don't get the purpose of this poll. Everyone is tired of the Oilers finishing in the lottery, most of all fans of the team. If anything it would be rival fans that would take glee out of the Oilers being terrible year after year. The first picks obviously haven't guided the Oilers to any success.

Jean Ralphio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
CNS
A World Alone

I'm completely fine with it if it continues in to next year when we're in the same division as them. It's always fun to see Ryan Smyth lose.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:29 AM
pahlsson

"nope"

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
Simple question. Are you sick and tired of seeing the Oilers headed for yet another lottery pick? Seems almost unfair that they should be getting rewarded for sucking this much and for this long.
Clearly you don't get it, we're not be rewarded at all. This team stinks. We are Atlanta from the 2000's. Bunch of great offensive players together on a losing team every night with no direction and identity. There is no reward to watching your team get pumped every night. Oilers fans want to be out of the lottery more than any fans of other teams want them to.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dosing

I wager they are sicker of it then you are. It always comes a time when you go numb for new excitement and wonder when the hell it's going to pay off.

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:37 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

If they keep drafting 1st overall eventually they will start winning.

Look at how Chicago and Pittsburgh's Championship teams were built.

Draft enough top end talent and you will succeed.

Seth Jones would give them the #1 defenceman they solely need.

However I hate to see teams being rewarded for losing, they have enough talent in their lineup already, they shouldn't be the worst team in the NHL anymore.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Oilers fans are sick of being a lottery team, I could care less, if a team sucks, they should get a lottery pick. Plain and simple

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:10 AM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Oilers fan voting yes

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:17 AM
416Leafer

They really really should have put a rule in place that you can only draft 1st overall once every 5 years or something along those lines.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:22 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Yes. No team should get to pick first this many times. 2 in a row is excessive as it is.

And I don't want to hear the crap about what Edmonton fans DESERVE. Other fanbases have suffered too. More first rounders isn't what the team needs. New god**** management is what this team needs.

Oil change is honestly one of the most hilariously bad ideas NHLN has ever had. My oil changes don't take this long

Last edited by DuckJet: 03-09-2013 at 05:32 AM.
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:27 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
I don't give a ****. You be a fan of a team as bad as they are and see how much you consider it a reward.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:29 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
I am a lot more tired of seeing people make threads about how "unfair it is" that the Oilers have been so bad for 4 years now.

How many people would trade their team's success for lottery picks? Only the most foolish among us that is who.

Detroit was bad like this too as was Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Islanders. Teams hitting bottom and turning it around quickly just doesn't happen for everyone. Boston and Philly did it but I am not sure that was normal.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post

However I hate to see teams being rewarded for losing, they have enough talent in their lineup already, they shouldn't be the worst team in the NHL anymore.
Shero surrounded his talent with the right people to make that team work, chemistry plays a massive part in all of this. Hawks knew the same, chemistry.

Oilers GM doesn't understand this and so they are where they are.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:41 AM
acor

Quote:

Its soo easy...Just look at the amazing dynasties of Jackets, Panthers, Isles and Oilers...Bruins or Red Wings should learn from them and "tank" for "top talent"...

Why are you not a hockey GM ?

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:45 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
No,I can handle one more first overall pick.

As long as the Oilers end up picking Seth Jones.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:51 AM
acor

NHL- only league in the world whe ppl are jealous of league worst team status...

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:53 AM
416Leafer

Quote:

Drafting high obviously helps, theres no question about that.

But Chicago added some key pieces via trade (Versteeg and Ladd), made some really solid later picks (Keith, Seabrook, Byfgulien, etc), signed some key free agents (Hossa, Niemi, etc), and then one of their top draft choices became a top 10 player in the league and a top 4-6 centre (Toews).

And Pittsburgh got two absolute cant miss generational talents in Crosby and Malkin.

Edmonton has a ways to go. They have trouble attracting free agents, and theyve yet to bring anybody significant in via trade. Schultz is the only piece theyve really added outside of the draft in the past like 4-5 years.

Im not convinced that any of their 1st overall draft choices were the best ones. Halls the only one with size, and then two of them were wingers (after they already had Eberle as a top young winger to build around). Compared to other 1st overalls from the previous 5-6 years, I think the ones Edm got werent as good as most of them (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, and Tavares).

Say BPA all you want, but IMO, its pretty difficult for a winger to have a larger impact on a game then a D or a C, unless theyre significantly better. Yakupov was just the safe pick IMO, almost guaranteed to be a 1st line forward or 1B fwd. But the ceiling of a guy like Galchenyuk is simply higher, plays centre, has size, is better defensively, and also has a high end skill set.

IMO last draft they screwed up. They should have traded down, got an asset, and taken Galchenyuk (or a D), or they simply should have traded the pick. Im sure Yakupov will become a ~30+ goal scorer in this league, but im not convinced he'll make the team much better, not in the same way significant upgrades to more important positions would.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:16 AM
clydesdale line

As long as they keep picking forwards, not at all.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
I wager they are sicker of it then you are. It always comes a time when you go numb for new excitement and wonder when the hell it's going to pay off.
This is bang on.

It annoys you that the Oilers are constantly the worst team in the league? That's too bad. Imagine being a season ticket holder or just an Oilers fan in general that has to sit through 82 games of crap.

Oilers fans don't want Seth Jones. They wanted to see their team competitive this season.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Brian28

A nicely biased poll. How many other teams have finished in the bottom 5 and been eligible for a lottery win for 1st? We've had a bad few years, it isn't easy to shore up problem areas when you're one of the least desireable locations in the NHL, and we lack veteran leadership. Are you tired of the Islanders being bad? WHat about Colombus outside of 1 year? Are you tired of Pittsburgh winning with all the talent they collected when in the bottom 5?

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Doesn't really effect me.

I do find it strange how the city of Edmonton celebrates failure, though. To them, finishing last place is like winning the Cup. They hold draft lottery parties and celebrate like they just scored a Game 7 Cup winning GWG when they win it.

Again, to each their own, I just find it strange.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Yes, I want a ****ing playoff berth already, but Tambellini, Lowe, Krueger and crew keep insisting that players like Smyth, Potter, and Whitney should be on NHL rosters.

Last edited by spiny norman: 03-09-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: filter
Trafalgar McLaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
This is bang on.

It annoys you that the Oilers are constantly the worst team in the league? That's too bad. Imagine being a season ticket holder or just an Oilers fan in general that has to sit through 82 games of crap.

Oilers fans don't want Seth Jones. They wanted to see their team competitive this season.
This. Even if we get 1st overall, I don't want anymore potential. I want it traded for something to help now. I want our bs management out of there, so we find someone willing to make bold moves to make this team better. The kinda moves that could hurt real bad if we lose them, but be so amazing if they work.

Mcnotloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Let's get one thing straight though, if/when the Oilers start winning, I don't want to hear how Edmonton is winning because of their drafting. Picking 1st isn't drafting, it's being bad enough and lucky enough to be able to take the best player. Edmonton sucks at drafting because other than their first overall picks who the heck have they drafted lately that has had success? I know it's coming though, the media is going to praise the living crap out of them because of how they drafted...pleaseeeee!!! they haven't drafted anybody, just cherry picked the best players from junior.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote