HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ballard to St. Louis

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
We are not trading Sobotka for Ballard. Sobotka actually plays an important role for the Blues. He's a player that can shift anywhere on the team. If a line needs a shake up Sobotka gets put on that line he plays anywhere from the 1st line to the 4th line. He is also and important penalty killer for us.
But Ballard is a top 4 defenseman.

Trading a bottom 6 player for a top 4 defenseman is pretty good value. Especially when a left side top 4 guy is a big need, and other options around the league would likely cost more.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
But Ballard is a top 4 defenseman.

Trading a bottom 6 player for a top 4 defenseman is pretty good value. Especially when a left side top 4 guy is a big need, and other options around the league would likely cost more.
Ballard is a debatable top 4. He gets healthy scratched in Van. I'd give a middle draft pick for him hoping he needs a change of scenery. If Ballard was really a top 4 defenseman you would want a better return....

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Ballard is a debatable top 4. He gets healthy scratched in Van. I'd give a middle draft pick for him hoping he needs a change of scenery. If Ballard was really a top 4 defenseman you would want a better return....
I would like a better return, but Sobotka is a guy I really like and a 3C is our biggest hole, I think Sobotka fits what we need perfectly.

Ballard had a rough first year, came in injured and was always a step behind, but since last years playoffs he has been very very good, he was scratched this season after 2 bad games (everyone was bad) but it was BS, our coach just doesn't like him. Edler and Hamhuis had palyed way worse and never gotten scratched.

He is capable of alot more and like I said Sobotka is a pretty good price, it would be nice if you could throw say Redden or Russel in though so we would atleast have a replacement. But Vlady alone I would do.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

There's no way I'm trading Sobotka for Ballard. Sobotka's versatile and can play anywhere in the lineup while pissing off the other team.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Ballard is a horrible option for us because he is a marginal upgrade at best and we have a tight budget. The money that would be used on him would be better spent on someone else.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Guys, Ballard is a star, we must go after him.
It's not that he is a star but woefully under utilized by our coach. Case in point, he was a puck moving defenseman with some offensive upside in Florida. He has played less games on our powerplay in three years, than Markov has played games period in the past three years. And it isn't completely due to bad play. Garrison put up 16 goals last year and nope, not on the powerplay.

Frankly, I hope we keep Ballard. This season alone is proving AV is the problem, not Ballard.

This all said, I doubt we get much for him. Hence my preference to keep him.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:49 PM
underslept
"well-informed"

There's just no reason to trade for, at best, an average #4/5 defenseman with the salary of a #1/2, when we're looking for a #2 to play with Pietrangelo.

He's a player with a strong offensive history, a moderate injury history, and minimal playoff success.

He's not what we're looking for, even if he could be had for picks.

underslept is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Sobotka for Ballard? I would be down.
Doubt the blues would.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:31 AM
uncommonsense52
(blue bleeder 24-7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
St Louis
Keith Ballard
Conditional Pick Based on games player/if he re-signs

Vancouver
Andy Macdonald
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Macdonald

So, we get Keith Ballard and some picks, and you get a retired skateboarder?

I like it.

uncommonsense52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

For Ballard we trade an 85th round draft pick and we also get Edler for having to take the absolute GARBAGE that is Ballard. What does he make, eleventy billion dollars for some of the worst play in the NHL? Yeah. We should literally get a 2d round pick just for having it be suggested to us that we take this total trash with a terrible contract off your hands.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:29 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
All this talk about Ballard but no mention of his terrible contract that Army would never take on

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
For Ballard we trade an 85th round draft pick and we also get Edler for having to take the absolute GARBAGE that is Ballard. What does he make, eleventy billion dollars for some of the worst play in the NHL? Yeah. We should literally get a 2d round pick just for having it be suggested to us that we take this total trash with a terrible contract off your hands.
Ahh the unformed say the stupidest things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
All this talk about Ballard but no mention of his terrible contract that Army would never take on
4.2 for 2 more years?

Thats about standard for a top 4 defenseman, and Ballard has been playing like a top 4 defenseman since last season.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:

4.2 for 2 more years?

Thats about standard for a top 4 defenseman, and Ballard has been playing like a top 4 defenseman since last season.
I wouldn't call sitting in the pressbox playing like a top 4. Your whole fanbase knows he is trash which is why you guys have been trying to pawn him off for so long.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:43 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:

4.2 for 2 more years?

The Blues are NOT a cap team. Also you might want to check out what players we have to get under contract for next year. 4.2 Million for Ballard is crazy when you have a budget like the Blues.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I wouldn't call sitting in the pressbox playing like a top 4. Your whole fanbase knows he is trash which is why you guys have been trying to pawn him off for so long.
I actually think more of the fanbase would rather fire the coach that benched Ballard than actually trade Ballard. In regards to our defenseman, Ballard is probably our 3rd best dman and was #2 in last year's playoffs (this agrees with corsi REL).

There is a realization that one of our $4M+ dmen needs to be traded before next season and Ballard is the only of the five without a NTC (Edler's kicks in with his new contract, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Garrison's have already kicked in).

Given my options, and taking an idea from another thread, I'd trade Edler for Yakupov (needs to be Yak, not Eberle, for the cap savings) before his NTC kicks in and keep Ballard.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
The Blues are NOT a cap team. Also you might want to check out what players we have to get under contract for next year. 4.2 Million for Ballard is crazy when you have a budget like the Blues.
Ahh right, thats understandable as its a special circumstance for your club.

Although still, that contract is standard for a top 4 defenseman, look at what they have been getting in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Yeah cause you were watching and know the history of our coach.

He sat 2 games, one cause he apparently played bad, (although everyone played bad against DET, that's why we lost 8-2, and Edler had been bad the entire year) and the other cause we wanted to see what Cam Barker could do.

Other than that, he has been our best defenseman this year aside from Chris Tanev. And he was undoubtedly our best defenseman last year against LA, one of the only people who played well. I would prefer to keep him, but our coach doesn't use him properly and we need a right side defenseman or a center.

If St.Louis isn't willing to give us a 3rd line center like Sobotka atleast then I am more than happy keeping him, having 3 top 4 pairs isn't such a bad thing if we can get someone to adjust to the right side.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I actually think more of the fanbase would rather fire the coach that benched Ballard than actually trade Ballard. In regards to our defenseman, Ballard is probably our 3rd best dman and was #2 in last year's playoffs (this agrees with corsi REL).

There is a realization that one of our $4M+ dmen needs to be traded before next season and Ballard is the only of the five without a NTC (Edler's kicks in with his new contract, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Garrison's have already kicked in).

Given my options, and taking an idea from another thread, I'd trade Edler for Yakupov (needs to be Yak, not Eberle, for the cap savings) before his NTC kicks in and keep Ballard.
I would way rather fire the coach, Ballard has been great this year we just need to start using him more as he could help us out alot more, especially on the PP & 5 on 5 when Edler is playing like crap.

Alas.. Only if we understood AV's logic..

Old
03-09-2013, 05:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

The Blues would never take on Ballard's albatross of contract and Ballard has been a bust since the day he arrived in Vancouver, you can keep him TYVM.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
The Blues simply aren't going to take on a multi-year $4m+ contract on a player that is a question mark. He didn't play well last season, he is still 6th in TOI per game for Dmen on the Canucks and still 6th for Dmen on TOI SH per game. Maybe it is a coaching issue, but those would be very strange numbers if he has been your second best defenseman.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Literally I might try to put together a package for Gomez before Ballard. Every non-insane Canuck fan (and there are many sane ones who know how stupid this is) knows this is 100% an attempt to DUMP a ****** contract on some team. How do you dump a contract in some tiresome theory way? (Because in real life the Blues aren't taking Ballard even if you traded the Geisha All-Stars to service every member of the Blues organization in exchange for taking this BS contract.) In the tiresome theory way, you send several depressing members of your fanbase to allege this isn't some crappy ass crapfest of a player and contract that is universally shoved into every package you try to dump. And that is what we have in this thread. I would literally rather see the Blues close their franchise and never play again than take this crap Ballard contract. I feel an apology is due.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:27 AM
CM-

Wow okay Blues fan we get you don't want Ballard we understand that but come on stop talking about Keith Ballard like he is Wade ****** Redden... Is Ballard overpaid. Yes, only because our dumb Coaching staff has dislike for him. He is a good defensmen you guys don't want him? FINE stop insulting him like he is worst NHL player ever. He is a solid Defenseman and if used properly would look like it. But AV benches him when he is outplaying just about everyone on our Defense. I really want to see him traded so everyone can see what a good D he is when not being held back by an inept Coach who should be fired.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:40 AM
SteenMachine

Please do keep him, STL needs a top pairing d-man, otherwise they're not gonna sell roster pieces because it wouldn't make the team better. If you don't want to hear people bash your player stop offering him to every team in the league for 8 months, or stop looking at the threads where people try to overrate someone who's completely expendable while being the best d-man you have. Quite the paradox, is the coach right or the people who want to dump his contract hmmmm.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:53 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Please do keep him, STL needs a top pairing d-man, otherwise they're not gonna sell roster pieces because it wouldn't make the team better. If you don't want to hear people bash your player stop offering him to every team in the league for 8 months, or stop looking at the threads where people try to overrate someone who's completely expendable while being the best d-man you have. Quite the paradox, is the coach right or the people who want to dump his contract hmmmm.
You've implied to things that not mutually exclusive AV and Bowness haven't killed Ballard's trade value. Is he going to get Sobotka or anyone who is top 9 forward or top 4 D, Highly Unlikely. Will some team pick him up after FA starts and players much worse get more money ala every year cause a lot of GM's are horrible at negotiating contracts, I believe he will. Ballard may not be the ideal top pairing Defenseman you Blues fan want that is okay. Ballard will go to a team that needs another D and can afford to take a buy low type trade. And Gillis didn't sign Ballard actually of all the contracts the only 2 most people talk about buying out they were done by Florida. Gillis is a shrewd negotiator his only Blemish is a 2 year contract to Sturm. (which he parlayed into Booth which for now I still constitute a win).

I don't mind bashing I'm a Canuck fan living in Edmonton I'm used to it. This is idiotic a guy read a rumor which as with many rumors was vague and not accurate and asked a simple question whether there was interest in Ballard and if a trade was possible and it blew up into this.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:

4.2 for 2 more years?

That would make him our 3rd highest paid player, not every team can spend to the cap

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
This has escalated,

Shame Garrison didn't just sign here. Then we would have our top 4 defenseman and you would be able to keep your second best defenseman.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote