HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Tomb Raider 2013

Old
03-08-2013, 09:50 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Got to play the game a bit more after barely touching it after release and if I could only use two words to describe; ****ing perfect.

Seriously, this game reminds me of Uncharted with some more fun mini-games (or whatever you want to call them). It might even been a wee bit better than the most recent Uncharted installment, which from me, is ridiculously high praise (although it's probably been too long since I played those games).

It's like a movie with incredible gameplay. The voice acting is phenomenally well done, the shooting feels right, the bow & arrow is awesome. It looks beautiful on PS3, so I can only imagine how gorgeous it looks on a full-spec PC.

If you're on the fence about this game - don't be. It's got GOTY already locked up. It just doesn't get any better than this.

I honestly can't think of a single fault so far. It's a perfect game.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It was good. GOTY? God I hope not.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
It was good. GOTY? God I hope not.
Well obviously it won't - The Last of Us will.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:18 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Well obviously it won't - The Last of Us will.
The amount of times i've heard that about Dead Island simply because of the trailer

Chill you easy to impress ****

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Unholy
waifu

Had a few good laughs watching TB's WTF video. Will wait to play this one, still have NnK to sink time into.

03-09-2013, 07:05 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Had a few good laughs watching TB's WTF video. Will wait to play this one, still have NnK to sink time into.
I usually like TB's videos but this one felt wrong to me, he's horrible at figuring out what to do in any game (even with Survivor instincts in this one) especially when commentating a video, complains about the stupidest thing like ''Oh lighting a statue that's only a side objective in a video game should attract bad guys'' then goes on to say that Optional Tombs with puzzles to raid are perfectly fine because they're not in the way of the main storyline, the ****?

Old
03-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
I usually like TB's videos but this one felt wrong to me, he's horrible at figuring out what to do in any game (even with Survivor instincts in this one) especially when commentating a video, complains about the stupidest thing like ''Oh lighting a statue that's only a side objective in a video game should attract bad guys'' then goes on to say that Optional Tombs with puzzles to raid are perfectly fine because they're not in the way of the main storyline, the ****?
Yeah he does have problems figuring out easy paths to get to. Enjoyed seeing him jump off into his death a couple times because he doesn't notice there is no spacebar action where he is at sometimes. I mostly just laughed at some of the little bugs that occured and the couple enemies that disappeared and things like that. I do find it strange he liked that actual tomb raiding is optional in a 'Tomb Raider' game but then again he has stated a bunch of times he does not like puzzles in these kinds of games with action sequences. I agree with some of the stuff he said like the ammo and weird side things that gives you experience like when he stole an egg and the Egg Poacher quest initiated. Just seems like a random throw-in that doesn't belong. But the game seems like the Uncharted games a bit so overall I will enjoy the game once I play anyways.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
The amount of times i've heard that about Dead Island simply because of the trailer

Chill you easy to impress ****
Easy to impress? The Uncharted series cleaned up at Video Games Awards all over. Last of Us looks even better.

I'm not easy to impress at all. You know how many games I've actually COMPLETED in the last few years? Not many. Uncharted 1-3, Tomb Raider (well I'm not quite done, but that's only because I'm working, I should be done tonight), Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs, Resident Evil 5, and that's pretty much it (I may be forgetting one). Add-in sporting games, which I get millions of hours out of. I love gaming, but very rarely do they hold my attention long enough to finish. Only the elite of the elite hold my attention.

PS. There are 20-minute gameplay videos out of The Last of Us. Not just trailers.

Quote:
Yeah he does have problems figuring out easy paths to get to. Enjoyed seeing him jump off into his death a couple times because he doesn't notice there is no spacebar action where he is at sometimes. I mostly just laughed at some of the little bugs that occured and the couple enemies that disappeared and things like that. I do find it strange he liked that actual tomb raiding is optional in a 'Tomb Raider' game but then again he has stated a bunch of times he does not like puzzles in these kinds of games with action sequences. I agree with some of the stuff he said like the ammo and weird side things that gives you experience like when he stole an egg and the Egg Poacher quest initiated. Just seems like a random throw-in that doesn't belong. But the game seems like the Uncharted games a bit so overall I will enjoy the game once I play anyways.
What puzzles? I usually get stuck over the stupidest things - but haven't in this game yet.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:49 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with the ammo laying around, nor when you take a relic and it looks like she ''takes it with her''

Again he complained about the relics related to the lore of the island, but was completely fine with the books and diaries laying around which were there for the exact same reason, and the books also disappear as if she takes it with her

To me it seemed clear that the island had a old japanese heritage, a WWII heritage and now the Solarii and those collectables helped with that

I just wish he had been more consistent with his criticism, it just looks like he was reaching a lot for things to complain about

Old
03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
What puzzles? I usually get stuck over the stupidest things - but haven't in this game yet.
Aren't there small puzzles in each of the side Tombs? Saw him go in one and had to pull separate levers and take in account wind blowing a platform or something. Didn't look complicated by any means but it's something other than climbing and shooting baddies.

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with the ammo laying around, nor when you take a relic and it looks like she ''takes it with her''

Again he complained about the relics related to the lore of the island, but was completely fine with the books and diaries laying around which were there for the exact same reason, and the books also disappear as if she takes it with her

To me it seemed clear that the island had a old japanese heritage, a WWII heritage and now the Solarii and those collectables helped with that

I just wish he had been more consistent with his criticism, it just looks like he was reaching a lot for things to complain about
Yeah I see where you are coming from, that kind of stuff is in a lot of games and really shouldn't have an effect on how you think of the game since it does not really effect gameplay in a bad way.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Aren't there small puzzles in each of the side Tombs? Saw him go in one and had to pull separate levers and take in account wind blowing a platform or something. Didn't look complicated by any means but it's something other than climbing and shooting baddies.

Yeah I see where you are coming from, that kind of stuff is in a lot of games and really shouldn't have an effect on how you think of the game since it does not really effect gameplay in a bad way.
As far as the puzzles go; I guess you're right. I only did one side Tomb though and it wasn't really a puzzle. It was just platforming and burning a few things down. Very simple at least compared with Uncharted. Uncharted had a few puzzles that were annoyingly time consuming that took me out of the story momentarily.

As for the Ammo, I didn't mind because it almost seems like most of them are areas where the baddies were that you kill. Almost like camp sites for the baddies. Sure it would have been better to just loot them from dead bodies, but at the same time, that hurts for hunting (although that's one part of the game I don't really get).

Old
03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Just got 100% completion in the single player and all single player achievements. I have to say, I loved this game. The story was a little over the top, but overall really good. I thought they did a really good job of highlighting Lara in this game, and it was a great reboot of the series. They really made her come alive, though I can't really say the same about any other character in the whole story, but she was fantastic, and the voice acting wasn't bad (hers was superb).

The feel of the game was really smooth and not as cumbersome as others in the genre like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted. This game probably does drift to the easy side of things, but I liked that it didn't make things over-the-top or so complicated where it takes you out of the storyline. The puzzles were easy, but everything progressed naturally and you didn't spend 30 minutes climbing some crazy mind boggling area, where if you fell you had to start all over and take 10 minutes to get back, etc...

They sort of took the best out of all the other games and meshed it into Tomb Raider, it is like a bag of Lucky Charms marshmallows

Also, it wasn't too crazy with the push button cinematic action, just simple scenes and nothing where you are spending 30 minutes trying to get the button combination down and timed. I really liked the feel, and the controls, and all the in-game gear and equipment made sense and functioned well.

You had A LOT of variety when it came to disposing of enemies across melee and weapons. It wasn't just stab the guy here and shoot the guy there. Made things fun and interesting that you could dispatch of 20 different enemies 20 different ways. I had a thrill with this game, I will definitely be purchasing the next in the series.

The only downside I saw with the game was multiplayer. I played it a little and it just wasn't really to my liking. Didn't seem too polished and the mechanics were sort of poorly implemented unlike other similar games. Not that it matters too much, bought it for the single player experience, and wasn't left disappointed.

Good game.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
They sort of took the best out of all the other games and meshed it into Tomb Raider, it is like a bag of Lucky Charms marshmallows

I love it!!

Only played a few levels so far; but I'm really liking this. I'm not one to finish, well practically any games, but I think I might actually get all the way through this one!! And if I finish a game, that's saying something about it!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Just finished it - and it's basically Uncharted. Uncharted has better secondary character development and has more humour, while Tomb Raider has slightly better platforming (just more to it), better weaponry (bow&arrow ftw), and a more serious story. Both games are equally unrealistic, but both games made me want to keep playing right until the end.

Fantastic game. Can't fault anything. I'm in love with Lara now and think I'll go back and play the HD Collection I picked up a year ago and next touched. Can't wait for the sequel. Awesome game.

10/10.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Any of you fellows encounter a loading screen glitch at all?

Sovereign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
Nope. The only problem I had is a single game freeze that I had to restart my system.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Osprey

Quote:
There's a patch (v1.0.718.4) that fixes a few things that might be what you're experiencing:
Quote:
- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware.
- Fix for players being unable to progress related to the boat in the beach area.
- Some fixes for crashes on startup and when selecting Options.
- Some small improvements to TressFX hair rendering.
- Fixes for various graphics glitches, including certain effects not being visible in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed a problem that caused some users to not be able to use exclusive fullscreen.
- Added support for separate mouse/gamepad inversion for aiming, as well as support for x-axis inversion.
- Fixes related to the benchmark scene and benchmark mode.
- Various other small fixes.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I didn't care for the multiplayer when I first tried it before I played single player. Last night, I played for a few hours, and found the multiplayer much better. The battery mode is ****ing awesome.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Well my game is ****ed and I can't progress at all. I'm supposed to use the rope ascender to move a cargo crane with a crate hanging below it. I can move the crane but, the crate stays in it's original position, floating in mid-air. ****ing horse ****.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Well my game is ****ed and I can't progress at all. I'm supposed to use the rope ascender to move a cargo crane with a crate hanging below it. I can move the crane but, the crate stays in it's original position, floating in mid-air. ****ing horse ****.
Send me a picture, I think you may be stuck where I was. I beat the game now.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

It was the Endeavour crane right after you aqquire the rope ascender. I got throught it thanks to a work around I found on youtube. Can't believe a bug like that made it through testing.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
It was the Endeavour crane right after you aqquire the rope ascender. I got throught it thanks to a work around I found on youtube. Can't believe a bug like that made it through testing.
Glad I didn't hit that bug. Are you on 360 or PC? I've been hearing a lot of bugs were found in those versions.

Not sure but Square may have developed on PS3? Port issues? I have no idea. My friend beat it in one night with no glitches either.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

360. Here it is:

Old
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

This game was awesome. I haven't played too many games this year, so this is definitely my favorite so far. I started playing last night around 9:30 and stopped around 3:30am, then played for 3-4 more hours today and beat the game with about 70% completion. I really didn't want to stop playing last night/morning because of how immersed I was in the story. The set pieces (collapsing platforming, mudslides, etc.) were intense. The "puzzles" were fairly easy, although I admit that the 4-story elevator one had me tripped up for a few minutes until I noticed a giant hole in the wall.

Lara's character was fantastic, and her voice actress did a good job except on some of the minor things like relic descriptions.

I also wish they had something like in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City where you can just fight waves of bad guys in a separate mode.

Very minor complaints:

-On Normal difficulty, I wish Lara had a little less health. There were a few times when I took a barrage of shots from those armored chain guns and managed to survive. I guess that's what the higher difficulty is for.

-Endgame spoiler
Spoil:
Fighting Mathias at the end was kind of disappointing, although they still did a good job making the quicktime event battle intense. I was thinking that I would have to fight the Sun Queen's magical corpse or something after killing Mathias. I guess they didn't want to make the game too supernatural, which is probably a good decision for the overall story.

Last edited by yakitate304: 03-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Finished last night. Must say I really enjoyed it. One of the few games I did not want to stop. A big complement is that I wish it did not end and I am really looking forward to the next one. I fisnished with 66% completion, but I really did not try for all the little things scattered around and mainly stuck to the story.

One thing I didnt like was that the optional tombs were so small. I only did a few but I would have like to see them a fair bit longer, other than 1 puzzle and done.

Overall though, it is one of the better games I have played lately.

Belamorte is online now   Reply With Quote