HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Perry to Pittsburgh (if he doesn't want to re-sign w/ Ducks)

Old
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You kind of missed the point. Under the current rules, if Crosby was signing a contract his cap hit would be significantly higher.

I thought that part was apparent.
If you took the 1st 8 years of his current deal and applied the new standard, then yes it would be higher.

The point you are missing is that we believe that even if Crosby would have signed under the new CBA, they would have structured the deal so the cap hit would be 8.7 to the team anyway. Meaning for 8 years, he would still have an 8.7 cap hit, which is all we care about.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
If you took the 1st 8 years of his current deal and applied the new standard, then yes it would be higher.

The point you are missing is that we believe that even if Crosby would have signed under the new CBA, they would have structured the deal so the cap hit would be 8.7 to the team anyway. Meaning for 8 years, he would still have an 8.7 cap hit, which is all we care about.
Oh, so all the people saying "that's Crosby money" in reference to Getzlaf are actually incorrect, right? How can Crosby be the benchmark for salary if he isn't actually the benchmark for salary?

Food for thought.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Oh, so all the people saying "that's Crosby money" in reference to Getzlaf are actually incorrect, right? How can Crosby be the benchmark for salary if he isn't actually the benchmark for salary?

Food for thought.
Crosby and Malkin. can't trust those two. one is too superstitious to even change his cup let alone his cap hit. the other is to too deferential to take more money than his captain.

seriously people are idiots. it's a solid deal in this 'new world order'

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i don't know why the Ducks fans in here are getting so touchy. to be fair, i don't even want Perry on the Pens because of what he will cost to acquire (by his contract and a trade, if the Ducks trade him). the Ducks just don't have a reason to trade him yet. if they were sucking this year, they would (if they knew for sure that he didn't want to re-sign there). since they're actually one of the better teams in the league right now, they should hang onto him for one more run.

then, if Perry STILL doesn't want to re-sign with the Ducks, i think the Pens should see what his asking price is. if it's too high (which is close to a guarantee), the Pens should look at other options.
Why wouldn't ducks fans be sensitive about this? It's like people saying we are for sure going to lose Malkin after we signed Crosby.

They might lose their top player, I'd be a little upset at ridiculous trade proposals from vultures as well.

As for the pens, not a chance they get him unless they plan on trading Malkin or letang. This getzlaf contract just proved how many stars a team can have at once. Under the new CBA. Expect even more parity down the road.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Second best player, but yes.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Not necessarily. That price could be based on staying with the Ducks, not signing with a contender. Not to mention the Pens could easily afford to pay him if they dealt Kunitz and Orpik.
Perry is a Hart trophy winner and he has won a Stanley Cup. If you think he's going to accept less than 63 million then you are sorely mistaken.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Perry is a Hart trophy winner and he has won a Stanley Cup. If you think he's going to accept less than 63 million then you are sorely mistaken.
We'll see.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
We'll see.
You think if Perry leaves ANA it's to sign for less with a stronger team?

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I could see Calgary make an offer.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
I could see Calgary make an offer.
I could see a lot of teams making an offer. My question was whether there was a belief Perry would walk on the Ducks to sign for less with somebody like PIT. I don't see that happening. If he leaves ANA you better be prepared to bring a big wallet to the meeting.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Not necessarily. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:25 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLLL Penguin View Post
I assumed he was talking about cap hit as well. He referenced Getzlaf being within 1 million of Crosby and he is correct according to Capgeek:

http://capgeek.com/ducks
Getzlaf: 8.25

http://capgeek.com/penguins
Crosby: 8.70
Yeah because Crosby has a back diving deal, that the ducks didn't have the luxury of being able to use in this CBA

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:06 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

This is ridiculous. It would be too difficult to create the necessary cap space, and borderline detrimental to your team to do so. Next.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:30 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

If Kunitz is supposed to be the center piece of this deal for Anaheim, one would have to think they could do better elsewhere.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
If Kunitz is supposed to be the center piece of this deal for Anaheim, one would have to think they could do better elsewhere.
1st rounders are generally the currency for impending UFAs (even elite ones), and there are two of them in this proposal. Kunitz is there to bring as much of what Perry brought to a still-contending team as any prospective deadline return likely could.

I think it balances addressing the present and the future better than most.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 03-09-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
skillhockey

Penns don't have the money and Perry is overvalued because of that one 50 goal season. He's barely top 10 winger in the league. He and Getzlaf got chemistry and Getzlaf is the way better player there. Penguins are better without him. There's plenty of 30 goal scorers in the league.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:50 AM
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
Penns don't have the money and Perry is overvalued because of that one 50 goal season. He's barely top 10 winger in the league. He and Getzlaf got chemistry and Getzlaf is the way better player there. Penguins are better without him. There's plenty of 30 goal scorers in the league.
I admittedly don't get to see much of Perry these days. But that guy has been a champion at every level of hockey. He has had great individual stats along they way. He is worth every penny the Habs are going to give him.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:28 AM
dustybreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
There isn't one. This is just desperate scrounging. I don't even know why they think he'd be leaving because he wants to sign there. I get why the Ontario fan bases do, seeing as that's the most likely landing spot, what with the way that he bolts for their province the moment the season ends.
You catch the interview yesterday when he was asked if getzlaf signing will affect him resigning? It sure as hell seems like he doesn't wanna resign there from that.

dustybreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:48 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybreaks View Post
You catch the interview yesterday when he was asked if getzlaf signing will affect him resigning? It sure as hell seems like he doesn't wanna resign there from that.
Quote:
Getzy and I have talked a bunch of times. Iím not going to sit there and say yes or no. Itís one of those things where Iíll just wait and see what happens. Iím not going to change my answer just because he signs. Itís just one of those things. It helps when you know heís going to be here for a long time. It could definitely have a factor on my decision.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=659211
Sure sounds like he's gone for sure

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybreaks View Post
I don't follow. I haven't argued that he's staying.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
1st rounders are generally the currency for impending UFAs (even elite ones), and there are two of them in this proposal. Kunitz is there to bring as much of what Perry brought to a still-contending team as any prospective deadline return likely could.

I think it balances addressing the present and the future better than most.

Kunitz has chemistry with Crosby as evidence by his stats when they are together. He has 14 freakin goals already. Why trade him for Perry, who is an upgrade, but might not click with Crosby. You don't send him for a rental in Perry.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Kunitz has chemistry with Crosby as evidence by his stats when they are together. He has 14 freakin goals already. Why trade him for Perry, who is an upgrade, but might not click with Crosby. You don't send him for a rental in Perry.
Because Perry is a proven elite RH shot winger who can draw coverage and create on his own when the games matter and checking is tighter, and I'm sick of seeing teams swarm Crosby knowing that there's nobody else skilled enough to make them pay.

It's great that Kunitz is doing so well as a complement to Crosby right now. But the regular season is not where this team will be judged.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:26 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Because Perry is a proven elite RH shot winger who can draw coverage and create on his own when the games matter and checking is tighter, and I'm sick of seeing teams swarm Crosby knowing that there's nobody else skilled enough to make them pay.

It's great that Kunitz is doing so well as a complement to Crosby right now. But the regular season is not where this team will be judged.
Hockey is a game of chemistry. Just because Perry is elite, doesn't mean its a given he clicks with Crosby. We have seen this too many times in Pittsburgh.

Your model, trading for Perry is financially stupid and dumb for the future as well. Based on what Getzlaf got yesterday, a guy that really sucked last year; hasn't only put up two years over 80 points; 57 last year; no individual honors outside two all-star appearances, you can't imagine what Perry, who has a better resume to his credit will receive. Pittsburgh won't be able to afford to resign him. If so, Malkin or Letang is gone. The cap isn't going up, its coming down. Perry leaves, what do you have? NOTHING.

I'm not a fan that wants to have four superstars surrounded by nothing more than AHL players because that is what you get under your line of thinking. It's dumb.

Improve the third line; bring in a physical Dman and let it ride. There is an interesting list of players that could be signed in the offseason. I'm not about to trade the farm and roster players for two months of Corey Perry to bolt and make an obscene amount of cash - probably more than Getzlaf. Pittsburgh can't afford to do that.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Hockey is a game of chemistry. Just because Perry is elite, doesn't mean its a given he clicks with Crosby. We have seen this too many times in Pittsburgh.
Is that so? Please, provide examples of elite wingers not clicking in Pittsburgh. I'm dying to see the list.

But you know what we have seen? The "chemistry" of the Pens first line rendered ineffective in the playoffs because of exactly what I outlined.

Quote:
Your model, trading for Perry is financially stupid and dumb for the future as well. Based on what Getzlaf got yesterday, a guy that really sucked last year; hasn't only put up two years over 80 points; 57 last year; no individual honors outside two all-star appearances, you can't imagine what Perry, who has a better resume to his credit will receive. Pittsburgh won't be able to afford to resign him. If so, Malkin or Letang is gone. The cap isn't going up, its coming down. Perry leaves, what do you have? NOTHING.
We don't know what Getzlaf's motivation was, or Perry's motivation is. Maybe Getzlaf made Anaheim pay through the teeth to entice him not to test FA, and Perry would take ~7 to play in a different situation. I'm confident the Pens would discuss the matter thoroughly beforehand.

The cap is not an overriding concern. It is going down for one year, not a steady descent, and we have disposable pieces who could be moved to make room without parting with any of the marquee names. If we get Perry and trade Orpik, Kunitz, and TK, are we a worse team? I doubt it.

Quote:
I'm not a fan that wants to have four superstars surrounded by nothing more than AHL players because that is what you get under your line of thinking. It's dumb.
Except that's not what would happen.

Curious to hear what you think of Shero, considering he went so hard after Parise at 7+ mil in the off-season. He seemed to think the 1st line could use a considerable upgrade.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
BCard86

Wasn't it Dreger that said it'd be pretty tough for the Ducks to afford to keep Perry? He has more sources and information than we do.

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote