HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 06:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Picked up some more bottles of Innis & Gunn Original this afternoon as well as some Ketel One vodka.

Also tried this the other day...

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was actually quite good. I thought it'd just be some **** swill of a novelty beer that came in a badass looking can. But alas, I was wrong.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
My usual friday night joint is Fuel and Fuddle in Oakland, had the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour and the Sierria Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale. Liked 'em both a good bit.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
lokomotiv15

OT: Questions about Pittsburgh hotels, pubs, etc...

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right place to put this... I have a few questions regarding the city of Pittsburgh, hotels, bars, what to do there, etc...

I'll be coming to a game in Pittsburgh (on march 17th for the march 19th game)for the first time and was wondering if anyone knew any good hotels that are close to Consol that aren't an outrageous price. I was also wondering if there is a place all the fans go before the game for food, or to drink or whatever. We have a place like that in here for London for Knights games and its a fun atmosphere.

Also wondering if there are any cant miss places to eat while we're in Pitt? And if there is like an after game bar/bars everyone goes to after games?

VERY IMPORTANT, also wondering where I would be able to play any kind of pick up hockey while I'm there (Monday to thurs), I play senior A here and we'll be starting playoffs that Friday, and I'll need some ice time that week to keep the legs fresh. I'd settle for any kind of ice.

Any other input would be very appreciated... I've been reading these boards for a while and know many of you are very helpful with stuff like this, and I've had a love for Pittsburgh since I passed through when I was much younger and am very excited to see my first game there.

Excited to get together with some Pens fans, after almost 2 decades of being lost in Leaf Nation.

Thanks guys.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Magic Hat spring variety pack *****es! Has a new gose and rye IPA.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:44 AM
lokomotiv15

Nothing at all guys???

Is there somewhere else I should post this?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Mister Hockey

If you want to stay near Consol, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Also, the bars are sort of dives. Don't get me wrong, they are ok, but nothing special. The nicer ones you will pay.

How far from the arena are willing to stay. Plus what price range are you looking for?

Last edited by Mister Hockey: 03-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Its a long walk to the CEC but the Hampton near the Strip is where I usually stay. Fair prices and you don't have to pay for parking. You can walk up and down Penn Ave for places to eat.

Two must goes for me are Nicholas Coffee every morning in Market Square and Hofbrauhaus on the South Side.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Puckie09

When I went to Pittsburgh last year, I used Hotwire and searched for hotels within 1 mile of the CEC. We stayed at a nice hotel for cheap and were only a 20 min walk away.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
JWells16

It depends...

Are you willing to take a cab to certain places? What kind of pubs/bars are you looking for? Are you looking for a game or just a place to skate?

Old
03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
plaidchuck

Other than the Strip District the other premiere nightlife area is the "South Side" which is located on East Carson Street going from the S 10th st block till the S 27th. It and the surrounding area have about 100+ bars/restaurants ranging from dives to classy joints and also many misc. shops. Not including traffic it's about a 5-15 minute drive to the CEC, and actually only about 15-20 mins away if you feel like walking, as you can go through the 10th street tunnel and be pretty much right by Duquesne University and the CEC.

Only close hotel I know of is the Holliday Inn Express right by the 10th St bridge. It's probably pretty expensive and booked up fairly often but IMO a pretty choice location where you could party, go to and from the game and never need to drive or even use a taxi.

IMO Pittsburgh has one of the worst downtowns for nightlife as it closes down pretty early but there are some good restaurants and cool places to check out during the day. As far as ice time goes, I'm not sure about anything directly in the city but there are rinks in the surrounding neighborhoods/suburbs.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:37 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

South Side is going to be crazy on Saint Patricks day but luckily I think with the parade being on Saturday you would be in the clear on the 17th. It's the place for night life in my opinion but the Strip is also becoming more & more popular for it as well. South Side is a mile & half maybe away from Consol & has a ton of sports bars like Mario's if that's the atmosphere you're looking for though it goes from a sports bar to a club at night so you would have to be careful when you go.

For a place to eat I would recommend Meat & Potatoes in the culture district but you would probably have to make a reservation. If you go for brunch ask for the "Devils on Horseback" as an appetizer. Insanely good.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I recommend you wait in the tunnel for Joe's autograph even if it takes all day and you miss your pick-up hockey. Joe's blessing will help you more than fresh legs.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
goosecrosby

The Wyndham downtown is a pretty nice hotel and was cheap when I went last year. About a 20min walk but it'll save you money

Old
03-09-2013, 11:41 AM
plaidchuck

Yeah true the parade is Sat the 16th so it should be quiet Sunday as half the city will be hungover.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeah true the parade is Sat the 16th so it should be quiet Sunday as half the city will be hungover.
Yeah he should be ok. I would stay away from Downtown in the day & most definitely the South Side in the afternoon on the 16th if you plan on driving.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

if you end up in the Strip District, go to Primanti's for a meal. Its not nice at all, but its delicious.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
hang out where i used to hang out - East Liberty.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
hang out where i used to hang out - East Liberty.
sliberty is the worst

Old
03-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
sliberty is the worst
Whole Foods brah.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

the Mexican War Streets are close to my heart as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
It depends...

Are you willing to take a cab to certain places? What kind of pubs/bars are you looking for? Are you looking for a game or just a place to skate?
Well I would prefer a game, but I heard you guys have this stick and puck thing which is just like open ice to wheel around on, which Id be down with as well.

As for pubs/restos, just good local food we can enjoy with other Pens fans.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:44 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I recommend you wait in the tunnel for Joe's autograph even if it takes all day and you miss your pick-up hockey. Joe's blessing will help you more than fresh legs.
I was thinking of waiting in his kitchen, for when he comes home to me, to get his autograph.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Other than the Strip District the other premiere nightlife area is the "South Side" which is located on East Carson Street going from the S 10th st block till the S 27th. It and the surrounding area have about 100+ bars/restaurants ranging from dives to classy joints and also many misc. shops. Not including traffic it's about a 5-15 minute drive to the CEC, and actually only about 15-20 mins away if you feel like walking, as you can go through the 10th street tunnel and be pretty much right by Duquesne University and the CEC.

Only close hotel I know of is the Holliday Inn Express right by the 10th St bridge. It's probably pretty expensive and booked up fairly often but IMO a pretty choice location where you could party, go to and from the game and never need to drive or even use a taxi.

IMO Pittsburgh has one of the worst downtowns for nightlife as it closes down pretty early but there are some good restaurants and cool places to check out during the day. As far as ice time goes, I'm not sure about anything directly in the city but there are rinks in the surrounding neighborhoods/suburbs.
Awesome, thanks for all the info.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
South Side is going to be crazy on Saint Patricks day but luckily I think with the parade being on Saturday you would be in the clear on the 17th. It's the place for night life in my opinion but the Strip is also becoming more & more popular for it as well. South Side is a mile & half maybe away from Consol & has a ton of sports bars like Mario's if that's the atmosphere you're looking for though it goes from a sports bar to a club at night so you would have to be careful when you go.

For a place to eat I would recommend Meat & Potatoes in the culture district but you would probably have to make a reservation. If you go for brunch ask for the "Devils on Horseback" as an appetizer. Insanely good.
I should be good. My last reg season game is monday, so ill be leaving on tuesday morning** instead of late monday night.

That Marios place sounds like exactly what im looking for. Id be there at like 5-530 for before the game.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
lokomotiv15

I ended up getting a room at the sheraton on the river, about 2kms from CEC for 82 CAD a night. I think its a good spot.

Closed Thread