HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Evander Kane for Phil Kessel

Old
03-09-2013, 08:10 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Kessel can contribute more offensively than Kane, which is the most important thing a forward does. Other guys on the team can refill the MORALE bar with a +ENERGY boost if that important to you.

By the way, I'm not a fan of either team. I just despise homerism.

You're the one that was claiming Kane is objectively better based on stats. Even if you look past the flawed argument, my post points out that your entire premise is wrong.

Good to know Kane has had 9 games of being a good penalty killer. That fact isn't of marginal importance at all.

If that's the case, I'm sure you're a perfectly unbiased judge with the highest credentials. My mistake. Also, you're using the word "subjectively" wrong.
Right even though there was a list of statistics that Kane has better numbers in his argument is flawed because Kessel is barely better than Kane in one category of these statistics? Between that and the fact you believe the only useful measuring stick for a forward is PPG and you think that Kane leaches points off his line mates you have left me absolutely speechless.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

vCash: 500
Leafs add a bit to do so if the deal happens now, while Kessel's value is at it's all time lowest.

Don't know why the Jets do this though.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
jokerboysmith

Leafs add, even then I can't see the Jets trading Kane.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
It makes absolutely no sense to trade Kane for Kessel. Kane is already getting close to kessel in points and IMO has a higher ceiling, he also brings toughness and grit. But it is the contract status of each that really makes this a head scratch-er. Kane is on the 1st year of a 6 year deal, Kessel is a UFA after next season. If Kessel doesn't resign the Jets have just given away a guy who will likely be considered one of the premier power forwards in the game within a couple years.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to trade Kane for Kessel. Kane is already getting close to kessel in points and IMO has a higher ceiling, he also brings toughness and grit. But it is the contract status of each that really makes this a head scratch-er. Kane is on the 1st year of a 6 year deal, Kessel is a UFA after next season. If Kessel doesn't resign the Jets have just given away a guy who will likely be considered one of the premier power forwards in the game within a couple years.
Yep, everyone in this thread is comparing stats while ignoring contract and age/potential. I personally think Kane is a better player than Kessel, certainly within Winnipeg's system/linemates, but I'll concede that it's close enough that skill alone doesn't determine either way the balance of value in this trade.

One more year of a player who has reached his ceiling is in no way comparable to 5 more years of a player who is roughly equally skilled (if in a different playing style) and getting better. End of story. No GM in the NHL makes that trade from the Jets perspective and ignoring contracts to have a pissing match over points per game or points per TOI doesn't change that. There's absolutely no argument that could be made that Kessel has more or remotely equal value when you consider contracts.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:17 PM
contour

I don't understand all the delusional fans wanting to trade Kessel, especially before he's unsigned and his value is low right now.

When J.Lupul comes back, you're just gonna find another Leaf player who is playing subpar and offering them in every proposal.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Right even though there was a list of statistics that Kane has better numbers in his argument is flawed because Kessel is barely better than Kane in one category of these statistics? Between that and the fact you believe the only useful measuring stick for a forward is PPG and you think that Kane leaches points off his line mates you have left me absolutely speechless.
Yes. He said Kane is objectively better because of statistics, and that's obviously not the case. Also the stat that Kessel is "barely" better in is the most important stat. Also, I never said that Kane leaches off his linemates. I said the opposite: Kane's style of play does not effectively use his linemates, so it significantly hinders their production.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
JetsHomer

I guess this really boils down to play styles. All things being pretty much equal points wise, which you prefer? The 21 year old power forward that leads the league in shots, or the 24 year old sniper that refuses to play defense?

I know who I'd pick if I was running a hockey team, But whatever.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Good to see this thread still humming along lol

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

I'd certainly pass on this one as a Leafs fan. Kane may develop to be a better point producer than Kessel; but he most likely won't, and Kessel's combination of speed, playmaking and goal scoring just doesn't come around often.

I'm sure Jets fans would also pass on this one.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote