HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your teams best offer for Phil Kessel

Old
03-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
Some Leaf fans need to calm down about Kessel sometimes. I'm not a fan of him at all, but he's still a talented player and someone the Leafs could use if they make the playoffs this year.
A large fan base only means more knuckleheads.

Seriously! Those that want Kessel traded are delusional and don't know a damn good building a good hockey team.

03-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
I'm still happy to move him, just surprised this came back up again now.

Some nucks fan were saying Kassian, that be a good starting point as the center piece of the deal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:01 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
Kessel to the isles for strome and a 2013 1st

I am high on Strome but maybe that's cuz his family lives on my street. I would still say you would have to add a top 9 roster player & a 2nd.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

Seriously! Those that want Kessel traded are delusional and don't know a damn good building a good hockey team.

so you wouldn't trade him for "the right deal"?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
From Ottawa: Mika Zibanejad + 1st Round pick
From Nashville: Colin Wilson + Austin Watson
From Columbus: Ryan Johansen + Boone Jenner + 2nd Round Pick
IF Kessel were to be traded, the Ottawa and Columbus ones could be decent. Still think their both a little weak when giving up someone like Kessel

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:19 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Why would we trade Kessel? Look what kind of players he's turned JVR and Lupul in. You don't see either of those two making the kind of plays Phil does.

Get a responsible centre in between Kessel and whoever and you have you're first line. Leaf fans are idiots sometimes jesus.
I would disagree about Kessel turning JVR into a better player, its more of Carlyle than it is Kessel. Carlyle has expressed what he wanted out of JVR, and it was to go to the net. I would say at least 80% of his goals are because he has driven to the net or out-muscled defenders for loose pucks in front of the net.

With regards to Lupul, I think they both compliment eachother well, more so Kessel helping out Lups. But I also think that Lupul helps feed Kessel the puck better for more goals.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
so you wouldn't trade him for "the right deal"?
Only for a deal that resembles the Hossa-Heatley swap. Those deals are very rare.

I hate trading a young player in Kessel for a package of futures that are full of question marks.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Schneider + Gaunce + 1st (2013) + 2nd (2014); Leafs at Scrivens

Most I would go, which is already may be too steep. Problem for us moving Kassian or Jensen is we need their low salaries and our prospect pool is bloody shallow. If one of them is involved, I don't see us adding a first - certainly not with year's.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

love this type of thinking, anyone who believes something different then my opinion is delusional! except the last team to trade Kessel away went on to win the cup that kinda disproves your delusional theory.

the last 2 times over the last 20 years the leafs have contended for the cup they were built on character, skill guys with Character guys like Clark, Gilmour, Sundin, Roberts, Tucker, Anderchuk, Anderson, and looking at the recent cup champs character also played a huge role in them winning with guys like Brown, Kopitar, richards, Carter, Williams, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, Toews, Ladd, Byfuglien, Hossa even Kane has more character then Kessel shows.

so yes trading kessel is a very valid opinion, skill wins games, Character wins cups imo.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
love this type of thinking, anyone who believes something different then my opinion is delusional! except the last team to trade Kessel away went on to win the cup that kinda disproves your delusional theory.

the last 2 times over the last 20 years the leafs have contended for the cup they were built on character, skill guys with Character guys like Clark, Gilmour, Sundin, Roberts, Tucker, Anderchuk, Anderson, and looking at the recent cup champs character also played a huge role in them winning with guys like Brown, Kopitar, richards, Carter, Williams, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, Toews, Ladd, Byfuglien, Hossa even Kane has more character then Kessel shows.

so yes trading kessel is a very valid opinion, skill wins games, Character wins cups imo.
The bolded and charater? Not sure i follow?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Why would we trade Kessel? Look what kind of players he's turned JVR and Lupul in. You don't see either of those two making the kind of plays Phil does.

Get a responsible centre in between Kessel and whoever and you have you're first line. Leaf fans are idiots sometimes jesus.
To most Leaf fans thats not Kessel's doing. Theres no way that 2 players have had career years consecutively beside him despite playing PPG/close to PPG. He doesnt hit, he cant backcheck so he sucks regardless if hes driving our offence.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Puckgenius*

stalberg and bickell for keseel

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Blue n White Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Nick Backstrom.

Trade the #4 Overall that year for the #5 overall. Toronto adds but the basis for the swap of two young players that are the same age is there.
I would do this as long as what Toronto added was reasonable and I'm not one of the people who is wanting to actively trade Kessel.

Blue n White Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

That depends on whether you perceive Kessel a complimentary piece of the foundation. An argument can certainly be made for either, perhaps more the former. No disrespect to his talent but I see Kessel as an addition that pushes an already contending team over the edge - like Kane is to Chicago.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPwnage View Post
I would do this as long as what Toronto added was reasonable and I'm not one of the people who is wanting to actively trade Kessel.
I could definitely get behind this....... If not Backstrom then id like to swing a potential deal with St Louis, some enticing pieces some of which Blues fans in other threads have not seemed mortally attached to. So i propose..

Polak,Stewart and Bergland for Gunnarson,Kessel and Grabo (retain 1.5 million in salary per season). Value at all in the ball park?

Maplelaughs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:54 AM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplelaughs97 View Post
I could definitely get behind this....... If not Backstrom then id like to swing a potential deal with St Louis, some enticing pieces some of which Blues fans in other threads have not seemed mortally attached to. So i propose..

Polak,Stewart and Bergland for Gunnarson,Kessel and Grabo (retain 1.5 million in salary per season). Value at all in the ball park?
No thanks

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:16 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Only for a deal that resembles the Hossa-Heatley swap. Those deals are very rare.

I hate trading a young player in Kessel for a package of futures that are full of question marks.
To be honest I think we can sacrifice Kessel for a player who is as good @ the 1C position as Kessel is at wing. They are rare but not impossible by any stretch so you have to entertain offers to find them.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
Kessel to the isles for strome and a 2013 1st
Kessel is a ufa in 2014, expected to seek $7m-$8m per on his new deal.

When is the last time the cash strapped NYI, traded their top prospect+ 1st round pick, for a 1 yr rental?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
As a wings fan I'd be willing to go something like Filppula+Nyquist+2013 1st for Kessel.

I know Filppula is a pending UFA but he's the only top 6 forward that would realistically be used in a package deal for someone like Kessel, unless you guys would want Franzen instead. I don't think the value would be enough to get Kessel but I don't feel like the Wings would be able to add anything else, maybe a conditional 2nd if they make it to the Finals but that's really it.
Franzen would be more of a fit to Carlyle's system than Filppula. Switch those two and it's pretty close. These types of threads could wait until the summer because there is no way Kessel is getting moved during the season when we're sitting 5th in the conference.

Last edited by Stats01: 03-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:15 AM
tml145

we need to stop expecting Kessel to carry the leafs

he is a very good player that happens to be the Leafs best player

he is one better players in the NHL on the breakout

he is always a big threat on the PP

he has amazing wrist shot

he is a very good passer with vision

he will score 70-80 points a season for at least the next five years

personaly i would rather keep him

he has been the same consistent goal scorer and point producer since he got to Toronto

the only reason people want him gone is because he was part of the worst trade in recent Leafs history

the trade wasn't Kessel's fault

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

When is the last time the cash strapped NYI, traded their top prospect+ 1st round pick, for a 1 yr rental?
February 27th 2007.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
February 27th 2007.
6 yrs ago, when the isles were hoping 29/30 yr old Ryan Symth would join their team, sign an extension. When Wang had his checkbook open. Isles traded Robert Nilson, who's work ethic they'd soured on, O'marra who they thought would top out as a 3rd liner and a 1st in a weak draft.
Smith left 4 months later. Isles had some very big offers to ufas like Drury rejected that summer and Wang/Snow decided to go with a youth movement instead.

Checkbooks closed, team's building around youth.

Isles are pretty high on Strome, who's having a big yr in juniors and they think the 2013 draft is pretty strong.

If Kessel were signed to a reasonable 5-6 yr deal, then maybe the isles would be in the mix. He's not, so they're not.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 03-09-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Alexei Yashin.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:35 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
we need to stop expecting Kessel to carry the leafs

he is a very good player that happens to be the Leafs best player
He's expected to ask for $7m-$8m next summer. Shouldn't his team expect him to carry them?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:38 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Schneider + Gaunce + 1st (2013) + 2nd (2014); Leafs at Scrivens

Most I would go, which is already may be too steep. Problem for us moving Kassian or Jensen is we need their low salaries and our prospect pool is bloody shallow. If one of them is involved, I don't see us adding a first - certainly not with year's.
I would probably do this.

Gives the Leafs what is considered an elite young goalie. Potential top 5-10 goalie in the league longterm. Recent stats aside, Schneider is considered to have a much higher ceiling than Reimer.

Gives the Leafs flexibility for the upcoming draft. We could use the extra picks to trade for help now, we could just draft where they all are, or given our own mid 1st, Vancouvers mid to late 1st, and other picks, we could move up into the top 10 most likely.

Gives the Leafs some needed cap flexibility. Kessel is the type of player that would get overpaid on a longterm contract IMO. Id prefer to get decent value for him now, over having him signed longterm at ~7M or higher. I also value building from the net out, not building around wingers, especialy super soft wingers.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote