HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
lol

31 to 11
So 3 people got 3 votes each ?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I think if we become sellers at the deadline and acquire another 1st rounder we will see a trade for Bernier or maybe even Lehner. I would be happy with either, but we would have to have a 1st rounder in the deal for either of those. 1st+2nd(2014) plus someone like Akeson or something for Bernier or Lehner.

And then Bryz gets one more season here and is bought out.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Snider should grovel to Bob and try to bring him back.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:18 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think if we become sellers at the deadline and acquire another 1st rounder we will see a trade for Bernier or maybe even Lehner. I would be happy with either, but we would have to have a 1st rounder in the deal for either of those. 1st+2nd(2014) plus someone like Akeson or something for Bernier or Lehner.

And then Bryz gets one more season here and is bought out.
i'd be happy with either of those guys but don't thing the sens just wann throw a guy who's been tearing up the american league away. brygalov won't be kept here regardless of what he does because of the cap hit. homer probably knew when he signed that thing that there was a amnesty comin. he didn't know his window for wining the cup would change so drastically with pronger goin down.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
I'd buy him out at the end of next year if he continues to perform poorly.
I'd buy him out no matter how he plays. Seven more years is way too long and it's only going to go downhill as he ages.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
there arent many teams in the league where a goalie sporting a .899 save percentage would have some in their fanbase saying "hes awesome" and "hes the team MVP"
There is no doubt that team defense has been an issue. But Bryzgalov has not done his job since the beginning of February. the numbers dont lie.

Bryzgalov gives up more goals that are the result of deflections, perfect shots, poor team defense, screens then any goalie maybe in the history of the league. its quite amazing actually
The Bryz supporters are lost in space with him. The Flyers are 28th in save percentage. Goaltending is a huge problem right now.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
You know how I've been saying our team D seems worse than it actually is relative to other teams because Bryz's inability to bail the team out means a huge number of mistakes end up in the net?

Yeah. We're seeing that again. He's playing like a backup, not like a goaltending solution.

03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You know how I've been saying our team D seems worse than it actually is relative to other teams because Bryz's inability to bail the team out means a huge number of mistakes end up in the net?

Yeah. We're seeing that again. He's playing like a backup, not like a goaltending solution.
Give me a goalie that would not look the same in this same game with the same poor defense and coverage, and possibly only give up 1 goal.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Give me a goalie that would not look the same in this same game with the same poor defense and coverage, and possibly only give up 1 goal.
Rinne. Miller. Lundqvist. Quick. Anderson. Varly. Brodeur. Rask.

That's just a start.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

That's just a start.
based off assumptions.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

That's just a start.
Rinne has already had a game like this. Anderson has always been streaky in his career. Varly has been pretty streaky as well, especially for the Avs. Brodeur, is well, Brodeur, but even he can't stop all this ****. No matter how flexible, athletic, aware and intense you are, AT LEAST one of those goals go in. When you have a team that doesn't want to play in front of you, is it even worth trying for the massive save?

Old
03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Rinne has already had a game like this. Anderson has always been streaky in his career. Varly has been pretty streaky as well, especially for the Avs. Brodeur, is well, Brodeur, but even he can't stop all this ****. No matter how flexible, athletic, aware and intense you are, AT LEAST one of those goals go in. When you have a team that doesn't want to play in front of you, is it even worth trying for the massive save?
Rinne has had A game like this? Bryz has had a boatload. Varly is streaky, but when he's healthy he can make those saves. So can Anderson. Brodeur is capable of bailing out his team routinely.

If your goalie can't stop the majority of mistakes in a game, why should the team bother skating? That **** is demoralizing. Did you see the way the defenders played a shot like there's an empty net after the goals?

If a goalie is paid highly and cannot play behind anything but a flawless defense, he needs to go. Then maybe use that money on a goalie who actually can do those things, or use it to bolster the defense and get a cheaper guy who'll be more sheltered.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Rinne has had A game like this? Bryz has had a boatload. Varly is streaky, but when he's healthy he can make those saves. So can Anderson. Brodeur is capable of bailing out his team routinely.

If your goalie can't stop the majority of mistakes in a game, why should the team bother skating? That **** is demoralizing. Did you see the way the defenders played a shot like there's an empty net after the goals?
And what gives you the impression that this game will be any different if we had Bob here? Or let's say if we got a young goalie in Bernier, Allen or Bishop. With how the team is playing with the such poor defense. Let's put in Roy in his prime on this team as well. Guess what? We'd still be losing. Even some high profile as Luongo and on his game, we'd still be losing.

Old
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
i can't wait to get rid of bryz just to see what they'll whine about next.

Old
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Seriously? You don't think the 2nd and 3rd goals were utterly stoppable efforts from mediocre players?

The 1st one was unstoppable but come on man, he was terrible on the 2nd and 3rd.

And no, that's not to say he's been our largest problem, the effort is terrible, the defensive breakdowns aren't good and people are talking about that too (see the "Fire lavi" thread). Beyond firing Lavi though, there's not much we can discuss doing. Guys like Couturier are young and are making horrendous mistakes that young guys sometimes make. I don't think Lavi's "system" / coaching helps, but you've gotta let those young guys work through it.

The reason why Bryz gets discussed so much is because dropping that contract this off-season is one of the primary ways we can go about improving this team. He might not be the biggest issue on the team, but he's the most solvable issue.

EDIT: And as far as you excusing his pathetic effort in this game, shame on you man. If he played like a reasonably good goalie, we go to intermission down 1-0 and this is a totally different game. Yeah the team was thoroughly outplayed in the 1st and didn't play at all in front of Bryz, but if this game is 1-0, all it takes is one goal to swing the momentum and get the ship righted. Instead Bryz just absolutely collapsed and you're trying to justify it by saying "Would you want to play hard for this team"? That's absurd and pathetic.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i can't wait to get rid of bryz just to see what they'll whine about next.
It really will never end.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
And what gives you the impression that this game will be any different if we had Bob here? Or let's say if we got a young goalie in Bernier, Allen or Bishop. With how the team is playing with the such poor defense. Let's put in Roy in his prime on this team as well. Guess what? We'd still be losing. Even some high profile as Luongo and on his game, we'd still be losing.
Sorry, but Roy in his prime might actually have this game tied.

If we had Bernier, Allen, or Bishop we'd have more money to spend on defense. Ergo, the defense probably wouldn't be as bad.

Bryz needs fantastic defense to succeed. His cap hit limits our ability to stock up on defense. He needs to be amnestied at some point.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
RonHextall27

If they don't amnesty Bryz and change the gameplan in the off season, then I may have to rethink my devotion to the Flyers. Like a lot of long term fans I've suffered through a lot of disappointment over the years and frankly 7 more years of Bryz is a pretty dark thought.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

If we had Bernier, Allen, or Bishop we'd have more money to spend on defense. Ergo, the defense probably wouldn't be as bad.

Bryz needs fantastic defense to succeed. His cap hit limits our ability to stock up on defense. He needs to be amnestied at some point.
dude. we made no offseason deals and lost a bunch of dudes and it shows. the end. you keep blaming bryzgalov tho. its getting us far.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHextall27 View Post
If they don't amnesty Bryz and change the gameplan in the off season, then I may have to rethink my devotion to the Flyers. Like a lot of long term fans I've suffered through a lot of disappointment over the years and frankly 7 more years of Bryz is a pretty dark thought.
goodbye

Old
03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

For this coming off-season, what goalies are out there that we could attain when Bryz is gone? Howard? I doubt Detroit would let him walk, since Mrazek is still young. Backstrom? Even at his age, it would still be about 4 to 5 million for 2 or 3 years. Mike Smith, who actually has a worse GAA and SV% than Bryz, would not do well here if he can't function in Phoenix. I'd so no to Emery because even though he has looked good, he had a ****ing astonishing good Hawks team in front of him. That leaves RFAs, which we would have to trade for or offersheet, and either way, lose draft picks.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:21 PM
RonHextall27

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
goodbye

Whatever bud, if you wanna be another of the blind being led by the blind while this team continues to make poor decisions, that's your choice.

Here's a novel idea. How about no more knee jerk or panic trades or signings and actually bite the bullet, have a couple poor seasons and improve through drafting and developing a young core. I was actually happy that they didn't waste money on some of the more expensive ufa's out there last summer, and filled the holes with younger guys getting more ice time.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

Don't we already spend a lot of money on defensemen? It's obviously not a money issue. The forwards share in the blame for all the breakdowns and forwards who make their money with defense don't usually cost that much in comparison to guys who score.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHextall27 View Post
Whatever bud, if you wanna be another of the blind being led by the blind while this team continues to make poor decisions, that's your choice.

Here's a novel idea. How about no more knee jerk or panic trades or signings and actually bite the bullet, have a couple poor seasons and improve through drafting and developing a young core. I was actually happy that they didn't waste money on some of the more expensive ufa's out there last summer, and filled the holes with younger guys getting more ice time.
how bout were in the middle of biting the bullet and you don't realize it? we gutted and rebuilt after the 2011 playoff. we had an initial burst of potential last year but this team is unfinished. bryzgalov is fine and i'd love to keep him but not for 7 more years. the term sucked. i like that we signed him tho. if it doesn't work out then fine but don't blame him for this mess. its an off year where we have to make some moves and give some of our budding stars time to learn what sucking is all about. i'm not fine with it but i do accept it. nothing you can do. i lived through the 5 year playoff drought i can live through this cause in the end i think this crew of players will win us a cup.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
You Bryz **** smokers realize by saying no goalie could play here should tell u how stupid we r playing this joker 5.66 million. He has to go, period. Spend 3 and use savings to improve defence.

Closed Thread