HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 07:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfromquebec View Post
They didnt cuz the flyers said no couts and no briere...but this year we should have learn a lesson....trade a good foward for a much needed D is the way to go...coburn will be easy to replace same with briere...but Nash they would get a cheap briere, a young center(laughton), a decent 5-6 D(coburn) and two draft picks...or a young center A+(couts), a decent 5-6 D(coburn) and a 2nd 2014 pick...For a $$$$$$$ D in weber that is not playing for that type of money this year.
I don't remember them saying no Briere (the no Couturier part I remember). If the Preds were interested in Briere, he would have been included. Also, Coburn is a "decent 5-6" defenseman now? I know he has a rough year, but the guy is not a "decent 5-6" defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Depending on what happens with Briere and/or Bryz the cap may not be an issue.
EDIT: Also the Flyers getting Perry (which I don't think they would) may be a window into what they are thinking in terms of Briere and Bryz as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Depending on what happens with Briere and/or Bryz the cap may not be an issue.
This year but I worry about 2014.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:14 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
This year but I worry about 2014.
That's what I'm talking about though. I don't know the exact numbers, but if Bryz and Briere are bought out that leaves an extra $12 mil available in 2014. I'm not saying it WILL work but that would make it easier to work. I don't see it happening though. The Flyers could easily be out of the playoffs by deadline and trading for Perry would be terrible at that point. I think the more likely scenario is the Flyers trading for his rights at the draft. Gonna be interesting though.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about though. I don't know the exact numbers, but if Bryz and Briere are bought out that leaves an extra $12 mil available in 2014. I'm not saying it WILL work but that would make it easier to work. I don't see it happening though. The Flyers could easily be out of the playoffs by deadline and trading for Perry would be terrible at that point. I think the more likely scenario is the Flyers trading for his rights at the draft. Gonna be interesting though.
The Flyers have 9 players signed (10 but I got rid of Pronger) and 21 mil in space for 2014. Add another 12 for Bryz and Briere but now only 7 roster players signed. So 33 million. 17 million at least for Perry and Giroux (8.5 cap hit which is a conservative estimate) leaves only 16 million to sign B.Schenn, Couturier, Read, 3 defensemen, two goaltenders, and a bunch of roll players. Even if the cap goes back up to 70 mil, that will be very tight. So unless they can build a cheap defense up until then, the Flyers are going to have problems. That is not even to bring up Voracek and Simmonds would have to be moved down a line or moved to the other wing or possibly traded.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Have to consider that if we're signing Perry, he's going to get ~$9M since the Ducks are morons an gave Getzlaf an insane contract. Just remember that when we need to sign Giroux. This was the danger in term limits.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Talking about next year and what can come, I have put this together so leaves the table open for a lot of speculation.

I have bought out Pronger and Briere.... I don't think the team will buyout Bryz - for what it's worth.

I would like to keep Gagne but move him to 3rd line with Coots and Read. I'd also like to go after a TRUE sniper. And bring in a 4th line Faceoff machine. With a healthy Mez (if that exists) I think the D can perform...
Also need to sign a backup GK.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.800m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,526,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $12,573,333

Old
03-09-2013, 08:39 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Sorry, I keep forgetting we can't amnesty Pronger b/c of injury... FML... So add him to the list... only buy out Briere.... Still NOT in bad shape.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Sorry, I keep forgetting we can't amnesty Pronger b/c of injury... FML... So add him to the list... only buy out Briere.... Still NOT in bad shape.
The buyout can act as LTIR though. So basically it's the same thing. We will just be placing him there for the rest of his career anyway.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:44 AM
FlyingPhilly

I thought LTIR does not exist in the off-season unless I am missing something.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I thought LTIR does not exist in the off-season unless I am missing something.
It doesn't but you can exceed the cap by 10% in the off season. The Flyers will likely do this because of Prongers cap hit. In the end we should be okay.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
FlyingPhilly

Yes, that is true, but you need to be cap-compliant before the first day of the season right? There is no LTIR until then and the 10% over is gone then. So if the Flyer go 10% over they better make sure they can get under before day 1.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Yes, that is true, but you need to be cap-compliant before the first day of the season right? There is no LTIR until then and the 10% over is gone then. So if the Flyer go 10% over they better make sure they can get under before day 1.
Yea I understand this. I think the most they will go over is the number on Prongers cap hit. Just under 5 million. So basically we can spend to right around 69 this year with all of our cap hits and put Pronger on LTIR to begin the season to be cap compliant.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
FlyingPhilly

I think there is a brief time period between LTIR and the 10% over. IE: The 10% over period expires before LTIR begins. So the Flyers have to be cap compliant before LTIR is available during the season.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I think there is a brief time period between LTIR and the 10% over. IE: The 10% over period expires before LTIR begins. So the Flyers have to be cap compliant before LTIR is available during the season.
The official season begins before game one I believe doesn't it? We would have time before game 1 to get compliant because the season officially begins before the first hockey game. I am not worried about Prongers cap hit and our off season at all really. It shouldn't be that hard to navigate around honestly. But we are dealing with the cap guru's in Homer and Hanrahhrhahhaa

Old
03-09-2013, 09:15 AM
FlyingPhilly

I remember reading this in one of Meltzer's blogs. I am not 100% sure if I remember correct though.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:24 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
What's with all the Perry talk? I think it's pretty clear that when given the opportunity this year, Voracek has stepped up into the role of playing alongside Giroux. Keep them together for as long as possible and let the chemistry continue to grow. Perry would certainly be nice, but he's an ultra expensive luxury for next year. I'd like to see them get another top six guy if they amnesty Briere though.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
What's with all the Perry talk? I think it's pretty clear that when given the opportunity this year, Voracek has stepped up into the role of playing alongside Giroux. Keep them together for as long as possible and let the chemistry continue to grow. Perry would certainly be nice, but he's an ultra expensive luxury for next year. I'd like to see them get another top six guy if they amnesty Briere though.
I agree but Perry, Roo and Vora would be sick.

Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds.... Huge tough line, both Hart and Simmonds play on the PP unit now, it wouldn't be a bad set up.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Flyers Fans:

-Desperately need defense
-Shrinking cap
-Upcoming RFAs and UFAs for multiple important forwards
-Possess talented wingers on reasonable deals

-SIGN PERRY for 9 per.

Quit trolling me.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
The Flyers have 9 players signed (10 but I got rid of Pronger) and 21 mil in space for 2014. Add another 12 for Bryz and Briere but now only 7 roster players signed. So 33 million. 17 million at least for Perry and Giroux (8.5 cap hit which is a conservative estimate) leaves only 16 million to sign B.Schenn, Couturier, Read, 3 defensemen, two goaltenders, and a bunch of roll players. Even if the cap goes back up to 70 mil, that will be very tight. So unless they can build a cheap defense up until then, the Flyers are going to have problems. That is not even to bring up Voracek and Simmonds would have to be moved down a line or moved to the other wing or possibly traded.
It's doable. Couturier and Schenn are not going to get insane raises. Schenn will probably be around $4 mil, Couturier will probably be around $2.5 mil. Read will probably be around $3.5-$4 mil. That's around $10.5 mil or so, leaving $5.5 million + whatever the cap shifts to at that point to sign three defenders and two goalies, so yeah it will be tight, but it is doable. You also have to figure in that other deals are likely to be made (both with unsigned players and trades). Now, if they don't buyout Bryz and Briere, it wouldn't make sense for the future. It might workout OK next year, but after that they would be screwed.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Flyers Fans:

-Desperately need defense
-Shrinking cap
-Upcoming RFAs and UFAs for multiple important forwards
-Possess talented wingers on reasonable deals

-SIGN PERRY for 9 per.

Quit trolling me.
and trade voracek for bobby ryan lol

Old
03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Our offensive core is good enough for the future -- they're still growing and getting better. I think we'll need a top 6 winger to replace Briere (unless you think Read's good enough), but we don't need Perry at $8+ million. Holmgren knows he's going to have to do something about the d corps. That should be his priority.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Trade them. Trade everybody.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Stranger Danger
the

wrong thread...