HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pominville's Captaincy

Old
03-09-2013, 03:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Pominville's Captaincy

I don't like it.

An issue we often touch upon, but never dive into in full-throttle discussion.

What are your thoughts on Jason as the captain of this team? You can take this in several different directions.

Here goes the attempt to see both sides of the coin...

1) the team, with him wearing the 'C', has been an unsuccessful team. No, the captain is not supposed to be the lone driver of success, nor is he the only reason why we've been mediocre during this time frame, but you have to think that there's a bit of responsibility on the captain to extract effort and maintain accountability in the room. This is clearly not the case IMO

2) on the flip, he plays the game the right way. You're never questioning his effort, and he's not someone you point to and say "he's a problem" at all. Seems to be well liked by the team.

3) tangentially, his defensive game is MASSIVELY overrated on this board. He's average-to-slightly above average on the defensive side

4) he's durable, produces points...

5) my captain should be a guy who will carry the team on his back effort wise, bringing some grit, and PASSION (Steve Ott). Doesn't have to be the go-to scorer, but definitely the guy I want on the ice in one goal games late third. Not necessarily Pominville as the immediate choice, but lack of better options puts him there.

Conclusion: there's no way he gets "stripped" of the captaincy, but in my mind, him donning the letter is indicative of a larger problem on the team - the lack of leadership.

Do you like him as the captain?

Ott has unquestionably won me over with regards to bringing leadership and representing what I want in a captain at this point based on the current roster. Sorry to go all over the place, but can anyone make the case for me as to why he (Poms) is the right choice?

Last edited by jBuds: 03-09-2013 at 03:46 AM.
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Sorry to go all over the place, but can anyone make the case for me as to why he (Poms) is the right choice? ""

He's not.

But at this point...he's best available option...

I too have the same vision for a Captain...the "gritty" type... and I believe Ott has A LOT of what I would want in my Captain...

BUT...you can't have a 'pest" or "agitator" as your Captain... I'm fine with him having an A ... but I'm trying to think of another Captain that ever played the role Ott plays... Can't really think of one..

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:54 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Sorry to go all over the place, but can anyone make the case for me as to why he (Poms) is the right choice? ""

He's not.

But at this point...he's best available option...

I too have the same vision for a Captain...the "gritty" type... and I believe Ott has A LOT of what I would want in my Captain...

BUT...you can't have a 'pest" or "agitator" as your Captain... I'm fine with him having an A ... but I'm trying to think of another Captain that ever played the role Ott plays... Can't really think of one..
Cup Champs? Dustin Brown? Morrow?

Old
03-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Cup Champs? Dustin Brown? Morrow?
I guess I don't put Ott in the same category as those two?.. They produced a lot more than Ott.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Squantosawuss

From day ONE, I thought Pominville was a poor choice.

He's your buddy.
He's a swell guy.
He's so nice.

And at no point did I ever see "captain" material in him.

A captain, on occasion, really has to be a dick. That's not Pominville. Unless he has completely hidden his real self from the public so successfully for so long, that we have no idea how Messier-like he can be in that thar locker room.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Imlach a cup

I'm not in the locker room. That's where I want my captain to be at his best. I can't tell you if Pominville is any good as a captain. I do know this team lacked leadership well before Pommers got the C and as far as I've been able to see that letter does not also include improved leadership skill. Therefore I have to believe a leaderless team that then promotes one of the leaderless to leader still probably lacks a leader.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
I'm not in the locker room. That's where I want my captain to be at his best. I can't tell you if Pominville is any good as a captain. I do know this team lacked leadership well before Pommers got the C and as far as I've been able to see that letter does not also include improved leadership skill. Therefore I have to believe a leaderless team that then promotes one of the leaderless to leader still probably lacks a leader.
The concept of us not knowing what goes on behind closed doors and in the room is valid. For sure. In his defense, so to speak.

But most other teams tend to she'd light on who the "speakers" are in the room, and I've yet to see or read anything that indicates Pominville is the finite voice or outspoken guy.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
The concept of us not knowing what goes on behind closed doors and in the room is valid. For sure. In his defense, so to speak.

But most other teams tend to she'd light on who the "speakers" are in the room, and I've yet to see or read anything that indicates Pominville is the finite voice or outspoken guy.
Ya that's pretty much what the second part is suppose to mean. Great captains don't usually fly under the radar, you are aware they are there at the beginning and eventually they get named captain. I don't believe that a player in the NHL can be givin the C and then become a leader, you start as a leader and earn the right to wear the C. I think Pommers earned the right to be the most respected player on the team but that doesn't make him a leader. Unfortunately this teams captain is a head case goaltender and not a soft spoken winger.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Ideally a captain would be 2,5 with a bit of 4 sprinkled on top for good measure. But ultimately we don't know what goes on in the locker room. I dont really think a leader needs to be a visible rah rah cheerleader and as you say, Poms captaincy is not what is making this team lose and personally i dont have too much of a problem with it. Drew Stafford on the other hand...why does he have an A other than he is part of the Rochester core? Which should not be a valid reason in itself.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Vanek should have been captain. People who say he's soft are crazy. He plays all out and he's got talent. Based on Anaheim contract, he's undervalued too. I resign Tommy, trade Pommers. It allows us to change captain and the look of team a bit. A total rebuild means Miller won't resign.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Imlach a cup

Just because Vanek's good doesn't say a thing about his leadership only his talent.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:11 AM
McTank

He's okay, can't think of a better choice on the current roster

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

There's no one on the team that stands out as a leader other than Steve Ott - and agitators/trash talkers like Ott don't get captaincy usually, for a number of reasons.

Pominville was likely given the C because he's been on the team for a long time and based on how he plays the game on the ice (Has been one of our only good two-way forwards for awhile now and is a respected player, even if his defensive play can be overrated by many)

Hodgson may be our most likely candidate for the future just because he's a center with high upside, but we don't really know if he has leadership qualities or how vocal he will be in the locker room. It's tough to say now because a 23 year old 2nd year player shouldn't have to be vocal in the locker room, that is for the vets to be doing right now.

Another future option if he becomes an every-day NHLer: Jake McCabe. Captained team USA in the last WJC and won a gold medal with them. From what I've heard about him, he's a natural leader. Obviously this is talking way down the road.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:52 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Ott is no more then a pest. A Kaleta with better skills. He also isn't some type of untouchable super star. Dallas got rid of him because he was unneeded. They trade Ott for Roy they are in a playoff spot right now. We are in the basement. Thanks again Darcy for acquiring a scoring center after trading Roy!

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:53 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

People wonder whats wrong with this team, look at the players the fans want to be captain since 2007. Thats what is wrong with this team. Until they find a real captain they arent going anywhere. Hecht, Gaustad, Grier, and now Ott. Lets just admit we dont have a captain and have not since Drury/Briere.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Clock

There's no clear candidate right now (based on what we must all admit is relatively little from the fan perspective), so at this point, I'm sort of... who cares.

I can't wait for the day when this changes.

That said, I'm keeping an eye on Hodgson.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
pomms
Rookie User

im not saying that hes at there caliber but not all captains have to be vocal leaders or looking to drive someone through the boards at all times.

Joe sakic and steve yzerman were not very vocal on ice but were great captains.

and i don't get how you can say pomminville's defensive game is so over rated. yes this year he hasn't been up to par. There isnt many players in this leauge who can play in every situation from the pp to the pk and be on the number one unit for both.

now dont get me wrong i dont think hes the best captain out there.. but i really dont think hes as bad as everyone makes him out to be

pomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:23 AM
MGIII
Legendary

I don't have an opinion. Those guys in the locker room know better than anyone who on that team is the best leader for that team.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Go to Sleep
CM Vanek

Ott, Vanek and Kaleta have to be the most dedicated players on the team right now. Everyone else seems to not want to be here.

You're right, a captain should be exactly what it says. A captain, a leader. Might not be the best and most consistent scorer but can motivate the team. Pominville is a good player and I certainly like him but he doesn't bring any aggressive play or passion IMO.

All in all, I don't know any of the team personally and I don't know who any of them look up to as a leader.

Go to Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIII View Post
I don't have an opinion. Those guys in the locker room know better than anyone who on that team is the best leader for that team.
Yes, which is why THE TEAM should vote, not just have the coaching staff hand it to people. I believe Lindy picked the current leadership group.

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
There's no clear candidate right now (based on what we must all admit is relatively little from the fan perspective), so at this point, I'm sort of... who cares.

I can't wait for the day when this changes.

That said, I'm keeping an eye on Hodgson.
Ditto. I don't think it'll be too long before we see him with a letter on his sweater. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ott get one either. Though with the unlikelihood of Pommer/Stafford being stripped of their letters, that would mean trading both of them.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomms View Post
im not saying that hes at there caliber but not all captains have to be vocal leaders or looking to drive someone through the boards at all times.

Joe sakic and steve yzerman were not very vocal on ice but were great captains.

and i don't get how you can say pomminville's defensive game is so over rated. yes this year he hasn't been up to par. There isnt many players in this leauge who can play in every situation from the pp to the pk and be on the number one unit for both.

now dont get me wrong i dont think hes the best captain out there.. but i really dont think hes as bad as everyone makes him out to be
was going to post something along these lines

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:39 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Just because Vanek's good doesn't say a thing about his leadership only his talent.
Read what I said. He plays all out, is there where needed...leads by example. A caption doesn't have to be the star of team but he does need to be a game who plays a lot. Unlike say Rivet. Drury was solid. Didn't lead team in points but always on ice for key plays. I guess you could say that describes Pommers but I want a guy who lift squad even when the whole team is sucking. I'm not 100% sure Ott is that guy. He's a leader but número UNO?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
kirby11

Eh. There's not too many good choices for captain. Poms did elevate his game last year. I just don't see Ott as captain material either, though. Maybe if he was here longer the idea would grow on me, but that seems similar to how Rivet came in and was given the C because there were no leaders here.
For now, considering the season's half over and we don't know what's going to happen next year with player moves and coaching changes and all, I'd keep Pominville as captain, but strip stafford of his A and give it to Ott. Then let the new coach pick his guys next year.
A few years down the road, I could see Hodgson being the captain, with a mix of Ehrhoff/Ott/Kaleta (if the latter 2 are still around)/Foligno (if he gets back his game from last year) serving as alternates.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:11 PM
VilleLeino

blow it up

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote