HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Anyone got an update on Gibson.
Yes. Apparently, he has started skating this week. It's been said that he's supposed to be ready to go for the start of playoffs.

But, there is a dirty little rumor going around the Aud that the Ducks have, or may yet shut him down until September. The concern is that he's been battling this hip pointer injury off and on since his 1st training camp with the team last year and it keeps creeping back.

There is speculation that the Ducks aren't that happy with this and wonder if the Ranger medical staff continues to rush him back too early, or that Gibson has rushed himself back early (WJC for example), and also may have been playing with the injury from time to time over the last two seasons at the team's urging. The Ducks want this problem gone and it's rumored that they have taken over calling the shots in regards to when or if he plays this season.

It's wait and see I guess. Check back in a few weeks. The regular season ends March 17th with the playoffs probably starting the following Friday.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:54 AM
bobber

Steve Spott eluded to those rumours on his radio address. Said he was getting emails about that issue and the response was Gibby will be back. Can't see him being shutdown when he is on the ice every day lately. I just don't think his NHL team would allow it. Who knows though the way this year has gone anything is possible.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Maple Leafs sign winger Josh Leivo to a 3 yr entry level contract

Rangers are probably hoping his play elevates as he has struggled lately

Old
03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Maple Leafs sign winger Josh Leivo to a 3 yr entry level contract

Rangers are probably hoping his play elevates as he has struggled lately
His struggles are right on cue. He has had about a month under Spott and Fixter. He has now adapted to their system and motivational tactics. In a few weeks he should be at full junior B calibre once he fully buys in.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
His struggles are right on cue. He has had about a month under Spott and Fixter. He has now adapted to their system and motivational tactics. In a few weeks he should be at full junior B calibre once he fully buys in.
OH.......how I wish that wasn't true but sadly it's 100% is!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 03-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 06:29 AM
rangersfan88

Gibson is back Friday ! I know he is capable of stealing a series but if we want to make it deep into the playoffs we are going to have to play a full 60 mins once in a while . Does anyone think his return will create a spark for them ? I guess we will see

Old
03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan88 View Post
Gibson is back Friday ! I know he is capable of stealing a series but if we want to make it deep into the playoffs we are going to have to play a full 60 mins once in a while . Does anyone think his return will create a spark for them ? I guess we will see
Not sure if it will create a spark with this group but hopefully it will help with the defensive lapses this team seems to have every game. Should refrase that and say mental.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
BenchedGuy

What I see missing is that killer desire. They seem to let there opponents hang around instead of putting the nail in the coffin so to speak. Dont get me wrong, using last nights game as an example, the Storm showed character being down and didnt roll over. But as Tim alluded to above that could come from the top down.

On a positive note, if the PP starts to click again (3 last night I think) then we should see success going forward.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
bobber

Last night the Rangers gave up far too many chances from the slot. The Storm deserve credit for the way they got open and into high scoring positions on quite a few occasions. Personally I think we have a mobile D but not a tough hard banging D that punishes opposing players in our end. Doubt that will change though going forward because it's just not in this teams make up. Could bite us going forward.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Tim Wallach

I should elaborate a bit on my sentiments on this team. I think they are excellent on paper, but have been plagued by a number of issues, most of which in my opinion point towards the coaching. At the risk of dwelling on the negative, I'll itemize those things that have been plaguing them here:

- A complete and utter lack of intensity and emotion witnessed in even kieled and almost robotic tempos every night
- A definite lack of toughness and physicality with little response to challenges and intimidation that allows opponents to play tougher and cockier than they are
- A stubborn insistence on a shadow and stick-check defence where opponents are rarely rubbed out or pushed out of danger areas. One false turn or missed stick check and it's scramble time with none of them trained to take the body to extinguish the crisis - meaning it ends with a good scoring chance usually
- BRUTAL shooting. High, wide, soft at the goalies chest, zero traffic, etc.
- BRUTAL power plays that seem to rely on peripheral puck movement followed by a poor decision that allows a clear, followed by 45 seconds of failed zone entries. Very few new ideas seem to be contributed.
- Poor ice time management. Players who show a spark continue to see limited ice time while plodding veterans get their ice time regardless.
- A seemingly complete lack of accountability. Players lolly-gagging back when odd-man rushes occur or after losing puck battles yet getting right back out for the next shift.

Almost all of what I've listed are fixable items. But it has to come from the top. This team absolutely has the necessary mix to do damage in the playoffs, but I have zero faith that they will.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Phatpat88

I think gibby makes the d look good with his ability to handle the puck and bail them out of gaffs

Old
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
bobber

When the opposition shoots the puck into our end and the goalie has to go back and stop it the Rangers seem to have a bad habit of letting an opposing forward beat them back. The goalie thinking a Ranger player will be there gets surprised and just rifles the puck around the corner. If our D does get possession they are quickly over whelmed by attacking forwards and turn the puck over. It happens almost every game and Joel isn't the best puck handler in the league. It almost seems like the D has been stunned with something coming up the ice some games.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
When the opposition shoots the puck into our end and the goalie has to go back and stop it the Rangers seem to have a bad habit of letting an opposing forward beat them back. The goalie thinking a Ranger player will be there gets surprised and just rifles the puck around the corner. If our D does get possession they are quickly over whelmed by attacking forwards and turn the puck over. It happens almost every game and Joel isn't the best puck handler in the league. It almost seems like the D has been stunned with something coming up the ice some games.
The guys just need to get back faster and not panic. But i agree with what you said

Old
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
mikester

sorry they have been panicing all year cant see it changing now.Thats the way hockey is played now dump it in and let your goalie clear it for you and as we have seen in the last couple of games one play like that seems to turn into caoss

Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
mikester

any body heard is Gibby starting tonight?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
any body heard is Gibby starting tonight?
Spott says "game time decision" but 90% yes.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
mikester

terrible refs at tonights game especially the head shot to Fanelli hopr he is ok

Old
03-09-2013, 08:13 AM
bobber

Spott certainly wasn't happy with the calibre of the refereeing last night. Miss call on Fanelli was brutal. Trafford ran around all night and even had a few choice words for fans on his way out at the end of the game. Opposing teams come into the Aud with no respect for the Rangers and run them the whole game and if you wait for the refs to take control it never happens. This Ranger squad is not built for rough and tumble hockey and they suffer because of it.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Spott certainly wasn't happy with the calibre of the refereeing last night. Miss call on Fanelli was brutal. Trafford ran around all night and even had a few choice words for fans on his way out at the end of the game. Opposing teams come into the Aud with no respect for the Rangers and run them the whole game and if you wait for the refs to take control it never happens. This Ranger squad is not built for rough and tumble hockey and they suffer because of it.
Steve Spott is the Ron Wilson of OHL coaches...wants his teams to be soft, play on the perimeter and have a total lack of passion.
A team should never ever count on a referee to protect them....the opposing team should know that the protection comes from within the other team, not Stevie Wonder in stripes!

Old
03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Steve Spott is the Ron Wilson of OHL coaches...wants his teams to be soft, play on the perimeter and have a total lack of passion.
A team should never ever count on a referee to protect them....the opposing team should know that the protection comes from within the other team, not Stevie Wonder in stripes!

Very well said. Spott is the coach and GM of this team. Its composition is entirely on him. You can't strip the team of any toughness and then cry when opponents push you around.

Hockey has been the same in that regard for 100 years. You don't have to be goon squad or be dirty, but you sure as heck better not be soft and easy to intimidate. Spott has been crying the same song about OHL officials for years, so you have to ask yourself who the stupid one is. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Well then, why would Spott still expect the officials to protect them and keep them from getting pushed around? Hell, even if they penalize the guy, it doesn't make our team healthy. This is on Spott. When you have no players who can respond, you get what you get.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:25 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Very well said. Spott is the coach and GM of this team. Its composition is entirely on him. You can't strip the team of any toughness and then cry when opponents push you around.

Hockey has been the same in that regard for 100 years. You don't have to be goon squad or be dirty, but you sure as heck better not be soft and easy to intimidate. Spott has been crying the same song about OHL officials for years, so you have to ask yourself who the stupid one is. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Well then, why would Spott still expect the officials to protect them and keep them from getting pushed around? Hell, even if they penalize the guy, it doesn't make our team healthy. This is on Spott. When you have no players who can respond, you get what you get.

Great post!! Ward Cornell's post was bang on too!!

How embarassing was that last night?

If ever there was a time for someone to take 2, 5, and 10, it's when Ben Fanelli is the victim who is visibly concussed due to a dirty hit from behind. Instead, we get virtually no response. The players on the ice didn't even make their level of "give-a-care" (to quote Fixter from a few weeks ago) look convincing.

Then, in the 3rd period, Ben Thomson, our tough guy who is the guy who usually stands up for his teammates, is given a dirty head check by Greg Sutch that left him stretched out dazed on the ice. Again, we get nothing.

Boy oh boy is this team ever soft!! We got softer at the deadline too with Genovese going to the Wolves. No way DeBoer includes him in that deal unless Sefton comes the other way. It was already a huge deal. Spott should have made it a bit bigger.

I watched the Saginaw/Guelph game tonight. Saginaw's Justin Kea took out Matt Finn with a knee on knee that earned him 5 and the game for kneeing. The response from the Storm? Pedan immediately earned 2, 5 and 10 for scrapping Kea - you know, the kind of thing Spott frowns on. But then, that's the response of a tough team. A team and coach that care enough about a fallen team mate to do something about it.

What was Spott afraid of? Is he worried that the Rangers, the 4th best team in the league on the PK, can't kill off a penalty against Saginaw's 17th best PP? The easiest penalty to kill off is a 2, 5, and 10 earned in situations like these.

A couple posters on Rangersrush pointed out that some Ranger players went after Trafford and Sutch at the times of the hits but couldn't get to them because of the officials. What a crock! They couldn't even make it look convincing! Also, the Fanelli hit happened in the second period and the Thomson ht halfway through the 3rd. There was lots of time to send a message to either player. Instead, the Rangers pretty much spent the rest of the game acting as if nothing happened.

It seems that Spott would rather pay fines for complaining about the refs instead of icing a team capable of standing up for themselves, or allowing the couple capable guys we do have, to do so.

Now we're down our best defensive d-man for nobody knows how long. We're going into the playoffs and it's only going to get rougher because the book is out on the Rangers. Run them out of the building physically and they will fold. Finish every check, take liberties with the skilled players and don't worry about taking penalties because the Rangers PP scares no body!!

If I'm coaching against the Rangers, I have my players knock Gibson around as much as possible. The odd penalty won't matter because the Rangers PP won't hurt us.

We put the 8th place Spirit on the PP eight times and only scored twice. Those aren't good odds against an 8th place team.

I fear the worst come playoff time.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 03-10-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Tim Wallach

Right on, EvenSteven.

The only thing I can possibly add to that is that Spott and the Rangers don't seem to realize that no response actually is a response. It's a response that says "take advantage of us and there are no repercussions."

The entire league pays attention to these things. Teams now know they can get away with whatever they want against Kitchener.

Spott has made it clear he doesn't like fighting. And that's a long debate in and of itself, but you can't frown upon toughness and physicality in general. That's a ticket to the golf course and everyone but Spott seems to understand that.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:28 PM
bobber

Quote:
Right on, EvenSteven.

The only thing I can possibly add to that is that Spott and the Rangers don't seem to realize that no response actually is a response. It's a response that says "take advantage of us and there are no repercussions."

The entire league pays attention to these things. Teams now know they can get away with whatever they want against Kitchener.

Spott has made it clear he doesn't like fighting. And that's a long debate in and of itself, but you can't frown upon toughness and physicality in general. That's a ticket to the golf course and everyone but Spott seems to understand that.
Not a ot of fights on the golf course. Spott got rid of Genovese and Czinder. Two players that fought. After the debacle in the third today Spott and the boys will be there soon.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Not a ot of fights on the golf course. Spott got rid of Genovese and Czinder. Two players that fought. After the debacle in the third today Spott and the boys will be there soon.

It was refreshing to see the guys play such a good 1st forty minutes. They were physical. They didn't back down. They were effective on the PP. Gibson was hot. The talk in our little circle during the 2nd intermission was that this was the way we need to play to win in the playoffs. If we keep this up, we'll be OK going forward.

Someone even suggested that the team must have been reading these forums and listening to the post game radio show and wanted to show the fanbase and the rest of the league that they weren't as soft as everyone felt they were.

And then today's 3rd period happened and all the optimism they gave us during the first two periods fizzled out and died. Again, I leave the Aud shaking my head feeling we'll be lucky to get past the 1st round.

And Spott said this would be a special year - talk of a Memorial Cup appearance to celebrate our 50th anniversary.

Maybe he shouldn't have said anyting at the start of the year because e gave everyone high expectations. This is looking more and more like anything but a special year.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:32 PM
mikester

makes the game this week in Guelph a big one for home ice, if that matters at all to Spott

Closed Thread