HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around the NHL III: Playoff Push Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I hope they watched Tom Brady and apply the same though process of not signing for the max they can get to better Chicago all around and help win more cups. I wish all players had that mentality.
Easy to do when your at the end of your career and have made all the money you can already. Notice he didn't do that in his prime.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

They could easily take 7 mil instead of 9 and be ok.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I'm not all that surprised. Parise has a cap hit of $7.53m...and that's taking into account the last 3 years he's paid $2m, $1m, $1m. If you drop those three years off the contract altogether and treat it as a 10 yr contract, his cap hit is $9.4m.

So really, Getzlaf isn't that much of an over payment...the # just seems large b/c we're used to seeing contacts with the low $ years tacked on to the end.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm not all that surprised. Parise has a cap hit of $7.53m...and that's taking into account the last 3 years he's paid $2m, $1m, $1m. If you drop those three years off the contract altogether and treat it as a 10 yr contract, his cap hit is $9.4m.

So really, Getzlaf isn't that much of an over payment...the # just seems large b/c we're used to seeing contacts with the low $ years tacked on to the end.
The only thing really saving it from being the worst contract in the league is the fact that Anaheim's center depth beyond him and Koivu is laughable at best.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
I find it hard to justify spending 1/8th of your salary on a single player unless he's a world class talent. Getzlaf is one of the better centers in the west but he's had consistency issues his entire career and his current hot streak has a lot to do with this contract. In a $70m+ cap league, this contract is at least understandable. When it drops to $64m, it becomes atrocious.
In principle I agree with you, but as has been said, somebody was going to pay him that much... whether he's really worth it or not. 1Cs don't exactly grow on trees, and if they didn't re-sign him who do they replace him with?

It's just the new rules... they're going to have quite an effect on how teams look contractually from here on out.... I think in time we are actually going to start seeing fewer and fewer teams that are stacked with talent like we are now, and that talent is going to get spread around a little more evenly.

Parity's a' comin'

Old
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I don't see why his contract is THAT bad. Some team was going to pay him that much, and Anaheim would have to try and replace him somehow. Doesn't make any sense for Anaheim not to give him that contract and lose him for picks/prospects and lesser roster players.
Strongly agree. ANA could not afford to lose Getzlaf, and Getzlaf took advantage of that. Rest of the roster will feel the squeeze, but this is identical to the R Nash and E Staal deals in that the organization can't afford to lose the player.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
The only thing really saving it from being the worst contract in the league is the fact that Anaheim's center depth beyond him and Koivu is laughable at best.
it's really not the worst contract at all. given what parise got, getzlaf was getting $7.5m at a minimum...i was thinking about $7.75. so it's not that great an overpayment...especially considering the club would go belly up if both he and perry left.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
sup bro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
it's really not the worst contract at all. given what parise got, getzlaf was getting $7.5m at a minimum...i was thinking about $7.75. so it's not that great an overpayment...especially considering the club would go belly up if both he and perry left.
I agree that it's far from the worst contract, but your analysis ignores the dialed-back cap and the implications of the new cba. When Parise was signed all of these details were mere speculation, so other than dollars and cents, you can't use the logic of Parise's signing to justify Getzlaf's contract. That being said, if the game continues to grow G's deal won't be that bad going forward. Right now it seems at least a million too high.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
They could easily take 7 mil instead of 9 and be ok.
They could, but I wouldn't blame them for wanting more. I'd do the same thing. The salary cap is too low IMO. I understand the league wants parity, but it end up screwing over stacked teams when they have to resign players.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:45 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Crazy contract for Getzlaf. Though good for keeping him. They'd be screwed without him.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:50 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I agree that it's far from the worst contract, but your analysis ignores the dialed-back cap and the implications of the new cba. When Parise was signed all of these details were mere speculation, so other than dollars and cents, you can't use the logic of Parise's signing to justify Getzlaf's contract. That being said, if the game continues to grow G's deal won't be that bad going forward. Right now it seems at least a million too high.
yeah, but the reality is getzlaf i'm sure didn't care...and his value was what someone will pay him. even with the dialed back cap (1) teams still have the ability to buy out - and increase their space; and (2) there are teams with enough space that he could demand parise-like $ even with the new cba.

i think we're going to see more contacts like getzlaf - the inability of teams to stretch contracts (and the cap hit) out is just going to cause players to to demand a higher aav.

i'm really interested to see what happens with malkin. his current aav is $8.7 and his contract ends in 2014. crosby currently has a 12 yr. contract w/ an 8.7m aav...but it's front loaded.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Nashville taking it to Edmonton. Up 4-0 after two.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
madgoat33

saw this massive gem of a thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=226511&page=2

just absolutely hilarious how it turned out

Old
03-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think that's too much term and money for the soon to be 28 year old Getzlaf but the Ducks had no other chance. They needed to keep him.

Perry on the other side... I think he will end up as UFA testing the market.

Now we have a comparable Deal to what Toews will get. Both #1 Centers and captains, both won the SC. Both ranked about the same

Old
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Hawkaholic

Question for those that thinks its an awful contract, would you sign Toews to that contract if thats what he wanted? Getzlaf is just as good of a player as Toews, and I'm the biggest Toews fan that I know.

I certainly would sign Toews to this deal, it's not that bad for a franchise C.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Question for those that thinks its an awful contract, would you sign Toews to that contract if thats what he wanted? Getzlaf is just as good of a player as Toews, and I'm the biggest Toews fan that I know.

I certainly would sign Toews to this deal, it's not that bad for a franchise C.
That's why I'm hoping that he doesn't ask for that much. Kane will get a comparable deal then too. When the cap is down to 64 mil, that's going to hit a lot harder.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
saw this massive gem of a thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=226511&page=2

just absolutely hilarious how it turned out
That, sir, is a gem. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure we could so many similar threads if we searched enough, but that one's about as good as it gets I think.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
That's why I'm hoping that he doesn't ask for that much. Kane will get a comparable deal then too. When the cap is down to 64 mil, that's going to hit a lot harder.
But they're worth it, thats the point. If they take a discount thats great, but that's the going rate for franchise C's.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:29 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
That, sir, is a gem. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure we could so many similar threads if we searched enough, but that one's about as good as it gets I think.
yea, I'm sure we could find plenty of similar threads, but that one is just so outrageous. now they are a borderline top 20 dman vs inarguably top 3player

Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Hawkaholic

Crosby isn't top 3, he's the best.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Boston just found the back of the Flyers' net three times in about two minutes.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Boston just found the back of the Flyers' net three times in about two minutes.
That Philly defense and goaltending never fails to make me laugh.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Watching Wings/CBJ, it looks so dumb to me now seeing the home team in white. Thought it was stupid growing up and it looks even stupider now.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Bryzgalov numbers are getting closer to Huet 09/10

I was never big fan of Bryzgalov but I thought when they signed him he would at least give them Biron caliber goaltending (Safe / Solid)

Buyout after 2 years seems like certainty at this point for Bryzgalov ,, Been an absolute disaster in Philly

Old
03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

BJs up 3-0 on the Wings?

lulz

Closed Thread