HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 6-0: Look at all the Goals we don't score!

Old
03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I think we just need a proper top line with experience and shelter the kids on the 2nd, 3rd or in AHL.

I would trade one or both of eberle or yakupov and a prospect/pick or two for a top line player and try to pick up another top line player via UFA. Then draft the best player's available in the draft with more consideration for size this time lol.

And try to snag a proper Dman that can provide leadership and stability via UFA or trade.

Also, try to snag a goalie to challenge Dubnyk that doesnt get injured.
I think Hall and Eberle haven't been to bad. When Horcoff comes back I'd like the line to look something like this:

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
PRV-Gagner-Hemsky
Yakupov-Belanger-Jones
Smyth-RNH-Brown
Eager

RNH and Yakupov both get lots of time on the PP. We need to move one of our RW's and get Yak back on the right side. Or move Yak for a d man and a 3rd line LW.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:07 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
RNH 100% has an injured shoulder. This is a fact! Mods know my source.
Well they should shut him down then, this years a write off anyways.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:29 AM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

vCash: 400
Just caught the highlights now.

lmao

WTF was Dubnyk doing sliding to his right on the dump in goal?

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
What a pathetic display by professional athletes.

I'm just numb. Someone needs to be fired this week.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post

lmao

That was the most embarrassing part about it. He was well out of position, on his knees again. The guy is a career back up.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
I have been an Oiler fan since they entered the league. I have raised my kids as Oiler fans and they have never lived less than 3000km from Edmonton. They have grown up surrounded by Leaf fans and now Ranger fans. Through thick and thin, embarassing year after embarassing year as they have grown up they have had to defend the total suckage that has been the Oilers. They came home from college this week for spring break and we sat down to watch some Oiler hockey together. Last night after the 5th goal one turned to the rest of us and said "this is embassing, how can we continue to support this team when this is the effort they put out".

I had no answer. I felt horrible for all the years I have insisted they be an Oiler fan because I am. I am certain they don't deserve this and I have no answer any more.

I have never really ever said a bad word about the Oilers. I have preached patience throughout. I always believed that management knew more about hocky than I did and knew more about the inside of the club than I could so they knew best. I no longer believe this. Last season Montreal went ape $hit and cleaned house. If the powers that be cannot recognize that this team needs the same then I no longer have confidence in this team's management and they need to go.

God how I hate that I have wasted 20 years of my kids lives supporting this team.
I love the passion of this post. You should e-mail it to the team. I know they won't care but I think it would be a lot to many of us here.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Outside opinion here...

I love the Oilers core. I love watching them play (except in rare cases like last night). The problem is not the players. Edmonton has a tremendous youth core and to trade any of them would be foolish.

Edmonton's problem is that aside from Justin Schultz (who they didn't even draft) they have been stagnating on defense for 5 years... Ever since Souray came in Edmonton's D has been a complete and utter disaster. Ownership needs to address the problem with their GM, because he is seemingly unable to address the problem that this team severely lacks NHL level defensemen, as well as any decent blue line prospects.

Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, and co are a tremendous group to build around, keep in mind how incredibly young they are. If that core can be kept intact Edmonton will be an elite team, it'll just take time and the right acquisitions.

Dubnyk is a decent NHL goalie, preferably a 1b goalie in a tandem, but the team's struggles haven't been his fault.

Look at what Montreal is doing... They went from 15th to 1st in one off-season. Sure, they're playing over their heads, but I doubt that anyone would rather have Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Pacioretty instead of Hall/Eberle/Nugent-Hopkins.

I just feel bad and wish Edmonton would be able to succeed, but maybe tanking for one more season in such a strong draft class could help this team address the need for defensemen.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I think Hall and Eberle haven't been to bad. When Horcoff comes back I'd like the line to look something like this:

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
PRV-Gagner-Hemsky
Yakupov-Belanger-Jones
Smyth-RNH-Brown
Eager

RNH and Yakupov both get lots of time on the PP. We need to move one of our RW's and get Yak back on the right side. Or move Yak for a d man and a 3rd line LW.
Putting any offensive player with Belanger absolutely kills them.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
camboy

I understand the negativity and disappointment around here, but come on people look at the big picture. This is a bulls**t lock out shortened season anyways...an asterist in the history of the NHL. Who cares if we don't/can't compete this year?? Let the pieces fall in and out of place and let's see what we have by the end of the 48. Look at some positives:
* If we finish with a top 5 pick we have more substancial assets to make serious moves or we add a key piece like Jones or Barkov or McKinnon.
* RNH gets his sophomore slump behind him and learns to play against the best in the world on a nightly basis.
* Paajarvi , Schultz, and Yakupov get more time to develop their NHL game.
* Whitney and Knabi are gone in a couple of months maybe less.
* The Oilers have lots of cap room and are well positioned to really develop the roster.

A couple musts for Slowhand in the next four weeks...

* try and pick up as many picks in this draft as possible with at least one being a late first. If Hemsky can get you that you do it. Whitney and Knabi should bring a 2nd and 3rd at the deadline...make that happen.

* Trade Belanger and Eager if possible. If not, prepare the buy outs for the off season.

* Re-sign Smid, Gagner, Petrell and Jones for reasonable deals..or trade them. Time is ticking on this...with Smid the obvious priority.

* Have a sit down with Smyth and come to the understanding that he retires at year end or is dealt to whoever may take him at the deadline.

That's what I want to come out of this year. If little or none of that happens I will also join the #fireTambo bandwagon. I give hime four weeks to make the moves that this bulls**t season dictates...let's see if the man can do it.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You're not following me. Young stud forwards are picked primarily for the ability to be gifted players capable of production. Period.
You don't draft Guy Carboneau with a top pick in the world.
ITs not about being a Guy Caroneau...its about not being a liability.

Both players are liabilities right now.

Quote:
Yak is doing fine with his production. Very good with goal scoring actually for a rookie and considering minutes played and the very limited use of this player. For instance if we had been featuring him on the PP as much as Nuge he could have 10 goals by now. Really I could care less at this point what is GA is, he's a raw rookie, he'll learn more about those aspects of the game and he's on track.

J Schultz has struggled somewhat but hasn't had a lot of help from his partner in crime who is a team worst -15 and has been just awful this season. ftr J Schultz is -8 and playing with some composure despite some players around him imploding.
Yaks production is fine but he is still hurting the team...so is J Schultz. I have seen enough Wild games to know that this is the worst I have even seen N Schultz play...its no coincidence that this is all occurring while he is babysitting. J Schultz should not be in the top 4...on this team he is.

These players will be fine the problem is that this team has so few quality veterans that its forced to play these kids in situations they shouldn't be in. Well managed teams do not develop players this way.

Last edited by guymez: 03-09-2013 at 11:40 AM.
guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:34 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, I really wouldn't say that anyone is doing overly fine. Paajarvi is looking more like prospect than suspect so maybe he gets a nod. Everyone else sans Gagner and his many bounces that have gone his way to compliment his good play has been underwhelming relative to what they should be. Not to mention that the 6th year pro is currently worse in faceoffs than the 19 year old who is facing the oppositions top players night in and night out. The whole top line, Nail and J. Schultz lack confidence right now. Part of that IMO is the lack of PP opportunities. We have 4 more games on the road so far than home games and we have only 4 more PP's to show for it. On top of that our PP is a paltry 7/50 or 14% on the road. We aren't getting it done on the road, nor are we drawing calls on the road, some of that is the refs and playing Detroit twice but some of that is our energy guys not creating havoc around the net.
It pains to me admit this but the loss of Horcoff killed RNH's game. He is just not ready for the minutes he has been forced to play. This team is hurting his development. Gagner should be playing the tough minutes because he has far more experience than RNH...you think its ugly watching RNH play those minutes? I promise it would be a whole lot uglier if Gagner played them. Thats why I am not all hot and bothered like some posters about how well Gagner is doing. He SHOULD be doing as well as he is all things considered.
He is this season where he should have been last season.

Yak should be in the AHL playing top line minutes and learning what not to do.

J Schultz should not be in the top 4...thats whats killing his confidence. He is not ready for those minutes. On this team they have no choice but to force him into top 4 minutes. Its a damn shame and a competent GM would have other options for the coach.
Not Tambo though.

As for Paajarvi...I think he is looking much stronger and its really good to see. He looks like he has found his place which is much more than can be said for a lot of other young players.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
Outside opinion here...

I love the Oilers core. I love watching them play (except in rare cases like last night). The problem is not the players. Edmonton has a tremendous youth core and to trade any of them would be foolish.

Edmonton's problem is that aside from Justin Schultz (who they didn't even draft) they have been stagnating on defense for 5 years... Ever since Souray came in Edmonton's D has been a complete and utter disaster. Ownership needs to address the problem with their GM, because he is seemingly unable to address the problem that this team severely lacks NHL level defensemen, as well as any decent blue line prospects.

Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, and co are a tremendous group to build around, keep in mind how incredibly young they are. If that core can be kept intact Edmonton will be an elite team, it'll just take time and the right acquisitions.

Dubnyk is a decent NHL goalie, preferably a 1b goalie in a tandem, but the team's struggles haven't been his fault.

Look at what Montreal is doing... They went from 15th to 1st in one off-season. Sure, they're playing over their heads, but I doubt that anyone would rather have Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Pacioretty instead of Hall/Eberle/Nugent-Hopkins.

I just feel bad and wish Edmonton would be able to succeed, but maybe tanking for one more season in such a strong draft class could help this team address the need for defensemen.
Not to nitpick, but the bolded couldn't be farther from the truth. That's where we have all our prospect depth. We definitely need a #1 dman though

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:38 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Not to nitpick, but the bolded couldn't be farther from the truth. That's where we have all our prospect depth. We definitely need a #1 dman though
I tend to disagree :s

Not saying I'm right and you're wrong by any stretch, it's just common opinion that there has been a lot of misevaluation of talent in Edmonton, especially regarding the D situation.

I know a lot of people don't agree with him but Pierre McGuire has been stating this for a while now, even before this whole slump.

But definitely agreed, the Oilers badly need a top 2 defenceman, but those don't necessarily just fall out of the sky :p

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
ITs not about being a Guy Caroneau...its about not being a liability.

Both players are liabilities right now.

Yaks production is fine but he is still hurting the team...so is J Schultz. I have seen enough Wild games to know that this is the worst I have even seen N Schultz play...its no coincidence that this is all occurring while he is babysitting. J Schultz should not be in the top 4...on this team he is.

These players will be fine the problem is that this team has so few quality veterans that its forced to play these kids in situations they shouldn't be in. Good teams do not develop players this way.
N Schultz, a longtime veteran, if he's anything at all, should be capable of being partnered with a D as good as J Schultz.

Statistically as well you would have a hardtime attributing how J Schultz, at -8 is responsible for N Schultz funk at -15 given that they spend most of their EV time together . Also numerous plays this year were solely N schultz fault. For instance the goal where a career AHLer, Garbutt beats him around the outside like a rented mule.

Or around 10GA this year where N Schultz is way out of position over pursuing.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
Outside opinion here...

They have a lot holes to fill at the NHL level. Same goes for prospects. I think all you're really saying is they need a new GM, which is nothing really new to us.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:57 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
N Schultz, a longtime veteran, if he's anything at all, should be capable of being partnered with a D as good as J Schultz.

Statistically as well you would have a hardtime attributing how J Schultz, at -8 is responsible for N Schultz funk at -15 given that they spend most of their EV time together . Also numerous plays this year were solely N schultz fault. For instance the goal where a career AHLer, Garbutt beats him around the outside like a rented mule.

Or around 10GA this year where N Schultz is way out of position over pursuing.

The plus/minus numbers are virtually useless due to the fact that all the forwards on this team are over matched.

I also think this needs a little additional context...you have not liked N Shultz the second he arrived which definitely plays into your view of his game at this point in time. I am not suggesting the Gilbert trade was a good trade but N Schultz is a good dman but he hasn't looked good this season at all.

By my eye J Schultz has played a very poor positional game and N Schultz has been trying to over compensate. This is not a recipe for success because J Schultz should NOT be playing a top 4 role. If you want to force J Schultz in a top 4 role then play him with a #2/3 dman. The problem is that this team doesn't have that player. Smid is the best defender the team has and I think he is a #4 dman on a good team.
J Schultz is not even close to being a top 4 dman at this point in time...he will be one day but he is not there yet. The problem is the lack of legit top 4 dmen on the team. Smid is a top 4 dman...Perty is a 4/5 dman at this point in time. I also think N Schultz is a 4/5 dman. So players like Petry, N Schultz and especially J Schultz are playing above their pay grade. Its is going to fail and it has failed especially when you factor in the forward lines being over matched.
This is yet more evidence that this Management group has no clue about how to develop players and build a quality hockey team.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
The plus/minus numbers are virtually useless due to the fact that all the forwards on this team are over matched.

I also think this needs a little additional context...you have not liked N Shultz the second he arrived which definitely plays into your view of his game at this point in time. I am not suggesting the Gilbert trade was a good trade but N Schultz is a good dman but he hasn't looked good this season at all.

By my eye J Schultz has played a very poor positional game and N Schultz has been trying to over compensate. This is not a recipe for success because J Schultz should NOT be playing a top 4 role. If you want to force J Schultz in a top 4 role then play him with a #2/3 dman. The problem is that this team doesn't have that player. Smid is the best defender the team has and I think he is a #4 dman on a good team.
J Schultz is not even close to being a top 4 dman at this point in time...he will be one day but he is not there yet. The problem is the lack of legit top 4 dmen on the team. Smid is a top 4 dman...Perty is a 4/5 dman at this point in time. I also think N Schultz is a 4/5 dman. So players like Petry, N Schultz and especially J Schultz are playing above their pay grade. Its is going to fail and it has failed especially when you factor in the forward lines being over matched.
This is yet more evidence that this Management group has no clue about how to develop players and build a quality hockey team.
Agreed for the most part. J Schultz is a talented kid but he is not strong enough to handle the physicality of the NHL yet. The rest of the bunch is really hit and miss. Thing is all this was obvious BEFORE the season started so I dont see how anyone is suprised by whats happened. There isnt a guy in this group who could play in the top pairing of a playoff team, the closest is Smid, but he is more of a second pairing guy.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:07 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Agreed for the most part. J Schultz is a talented kid but he is not strong enough to handle the physicality of the NHL yet. The rest of the bunch is really hit and miss. Thing is all this was obvious BEFORE the season started so I dont see how anyone is suprised by whats happened. There isnt a guy in this group who could play in the top pairing of a playoff team, the closest is Smid, but he is more of a second pairing guy.
Completely agree.
Tambos answer to this problem was to bring in an additional 6/7 dman (Fistric).

Old
03-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Fair post, thanks for the additional explanation. It would be interesting to see how N Schultz would do here playing with other D. But I agree with your post that we really have top 4 D, but I include N Schultz in that at this point. He isn't playing like one. Where we disagree is on overcompensating. Our eyes are disagreeing where I've seen N Schultz initiate being out of position multiple times this season.

But man what a weird concept of D we have on this team. Petry last night again swimming behind his net while no opponent was there(W T F?) and on at least 2 goals last night no D in sight in front of net while 2 opponents are playing whacamole with our goalie.

This is the run and hide D squad.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Completely agree.
Tambos answer to this problem was to bring in an additional 6/7 dman (Fistric).
Agreed fully, but just to interject when N Schultz came here most posters were telling me he was definitely a shutdown D and a very good fit here. If he's not a legit top pair shutdown guy then what fit was serviced? Its pretty clear he's 2nd pairing right now and getting strafed and burned with any harder assignment.

People justified the whole trade on N Schultz being a better fit here and more what we need.

One of the most misleading things was people describing this as a physical D.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Putting any offensive player with Belanger absolutely kills them.
Yea, maybe switch that up something like:

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
PRV-Gagner-Hemsky
Eager/Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Brown-RNH-Yakupov
Eager/Smyth

It's kind of a pick your poison with Smyth or Eager on the 3rd line. Have the 4th line play roughly 10min a game with PP time for RNH and Yak.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post

lmao

just seen it myself because its a HIGHLIGHT on nhl.com.... thanks "Dev".

ive said it a million times, he's just a big goofy kitten when trying to get control of the puck with his glove hand. so sloppy and uncoordinated batting that ball of yarn around.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
I understand the negativity and disappointment around here, but come on people look at the big picture. This is a bulls**t lock out shortened season anyways...an asterist in the history of the NHL. Who cares if we don't/can't compete this year?? Let the pieces fall in and out of place and let's see what we have by the end of the 48. Look at some positives:
* If we finish with a top 5 pick we have more substancial assets to make serious moves or we add a key piece like Jones or Barkov or McKinnon.
* RNH gets his sophomore slump behind him and learns to play against the best in the world on a nightly basis.
* Paajarvi , Schultz, and Yakupov get more time to develop their NHL game.
* Whitney and Knabi are gone in a couple of months maybe less.
* The Oilers have lots of cap room and are well positioned to really develop the roster.

A couple musts for Slowhand in the next four weeks...

* try and pick up as many picks in this draft as possible with at least one being a late first. If Hemsky can get you that you do it. Whitney and Knabi should bring a 2nd and 3rd at the deadline...make that happen.

* Trade Belanger and Eager if possible. If not, prepare the buy outs for the off season.

* Re-sign Smid, Gagner, Petrell and Jones for reasonable deals..or trade them. Time is ticking on this...with Smid the obvious priority.

* Have a sit down with Smyth and come to the understanding that he retires at year end or is dealt to whoever may take him at the deadline.

That's what I want to come out of this year. If little or none of that happens I will also join the #fireTambo bandwagon. I give hime four weeks to make the moves that this bulls**t season dictates...let's see if the man can do it.
Tambo has had almost 5 years to improve this roster....5 years

he's never made an impact trade to improve this franchise

I don't trust him with our assets cause he's lost every trade he's made

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Fair post, thanks for the additional explanation. It would be interesting to see how N Schultz would do here playing with other D. But I agree with your post that we really have top 4 D, but I include N Schultz in that at this point. He isn't playing like one. Where we disagree is on overcompensating. Our eyes are disagreeing where I've seen N Schultz initiate being out of position multiple times this season.

But man what a weird concept of D we have on this team. Petry last night again swimming behind his net while no opponent was there(W T F?) and on at least 2 goals last night no D in sight in front of net while 2 opponents are playing whacamole with our goalie.

This is the run and hide D squad.
I really believe that in addition to having the dmen play above their pay grade (which has been a problem ever since Tambo arrived) the forwards are so over matched it puts even more pressure on the dmen. I think that plays a large part in why N Scultz and Petry (and even Smid for most of the season) are struggling. It also hurts J Schultz as well. It hurts development of the young players on D and it hurts the veterans because they are being asked to do more than they are capable of doing.

Tambo has created an absolute mess and he still has a job.

Its inexcusable IMO.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

For the first time in my life I think, I missed an Oilers game with nothing better to do. I decided to listen to a couple of albums instead and had a blast.

I really suggest this to the rest of you. I will still follow the team but I am not going to waste 3 hours every couple of days to watch this junk anymore.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote