HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
2005 Memorial Cup Host Selection Committee -
Quote:
The 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee is comprised of Paul Beeston, former CEO of Major League Baseball, Frank Bonello, Director of Central Scouting for the National Hockey League and Brian O'Neill, Consultant for the National Hockey League. OHL Commissioner David Branch and league council Gord Kirke are non-voting members of the committee.
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...rial-cup/50063

2014 Memorial Cup Host Selection Committee -
Quote:
Next month, each team will have 45 minutes to make their pitch to the site selections committee, which features Toronto Blue Jays president and CEO Paul Beeston, former OHL and NHL Executive and Director of Central Scouting Frank Bonello, NHL Senior Executive vice-president of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell, NHL Senior vice-president of hockey operations Jim Gregory and president of broadcast, Rogers Media (Sportsnet) Scott Moore.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...-memorial-cup/

So Beeston and Bonnello were on the 2005 Mem Cup Selection Committee. They were 2/3rds of it in 2005 and 2/5th of it now.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Ottomatic

And who was on the 2011 Mem Cup Host Selection Committee?

Quote:
The 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee is comprised of Toronto Blue Jays President and former CEO of Major League Baseball Paul Beeston, former NHL Executive Frank Bonello, Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for the NHL Jim Gregory, and NHL Director of Central Scouting EJ McGuire. Committee Chair Gord Kirke and OHL Commissioner David Branch are non-voting members of the committee.
http://www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca/...rial-cup/89689

So 3/4ths of the voting committee who chose Mississauga over Windsor in 2011 are returning as well. I'm betting Kirke and Branch kept their "non-voting" member roles as well this year, just unreported for whatever reason. So 5/6ths of the 2011 decision makers are back this year.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
And who was on the 2011 Mem Cup Host Selection Committee?

http://www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca/...rial-cup/89689

So 3/4ths of the voting committee who chose Mississauga over Windsor in 2011 are returning as well. I'm betting Kirke and Branch kept their "non-voting" member roles as well this year, just unreported for whatever reason. So 5/6ths of the 2011 decision makers are back this year.
Clear transparency.

Here's some more for you

The 2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee is comprised of Paul Beeston, former CEO of Major League Baseball, Frank Bonello, former Director of Central Scouting for the National Hockey League, Brian O’Neill, Consultant for the National Hockey League and Jim Gregory, Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League. OHL Commissioner David Branch and Gord Kirke are non-voting members of the committee.

and some more

The 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee is comprised of Paul Beeston, former CEO of Major League Baseball, Frank Bonello, Director of Central Scouting for the National Hockey League and Brian O'Neill, Consultant for the National Hockey League. OHL Commissioner David Branch and league council Gord Kirke are non-voting members of the committee.

Yep if I had to put money on this one it wouldn't be on Windsor.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Libbs

The magic number for Saginaw is 1.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
The magic number for Saginaw is 1.
It's just about complete. I sure hope Rychel has already started on his offseason plans since the season was all but done 2 weeks ago.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:47 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
It's just about complete. I sure hope Rychel has already started on his offseason plans since the season was all but done 2 weeks ago.
He has accomplished his goal. Kerby will be a first round pick. I did hear some of the rumours around the arena about Warren wanting out and going to NHL.

If true, I hope he realises that there is no unwritten agreement regarding the drafting of sons.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Aren't there a lot of arenas in the Q very small? Aren't the biggest ones in Quebec, Halifax? Seems like unless those teams are bidding you will always get an undersized arena.
Saint John, Moncton, Cape Breton are all decent sizes - I think they're all over 6,000 and Halifax is over 10,000. Quebec plays in Le Colisee (small NHL size, 15,000). Overall the distribution probably isn't that far off from the OHL distribution.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:32 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I'm betting Kirke and Branch kept their "non-voting" member roles as well this year, just unreported for whatever reason. So 5/6ths of the 2011 decision makers are back this year.
Actually, I think Kirke and Branch have voting member roles. They are stated as "Ex officio" members of the committee. That simply means that they have their seats on the committee as a result of their roles within the organization. It doesn't mean they can't vote. Looks like a repeat of the 2011 committee to me.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:00 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
That is a terrific post Otto. My other question is with this selection committee I have seen their names associated with this tournament before. I believe there should be some transparency in the process, were any of these individuals on the committee when London bid in 05?
The commitee doesn't change much it's a cushy gig man. But the guys on it are very smart sports people so it's not like they pulled academics from Ryerson to show the OHL who is best suited. These guys are all sports pro's....so no argument there.

My pasting of Morris Dalla Costa's peieve was meant more of convo carrying tool and the temperature around the three locals on the cusp of their bids. No matter what the argument coming from 3 cities they in fact all carry serious weight and have a lot of truth in them.

I was at Shawinigan and honestly is was a joke. One big reason they landed it was Mr Shawinigan himself.....and in Quebec politics and parties is blood sport. But the beloved Jean Chretien still rules a lot of things behind the curtain and he also helped land that Cup in Shawi......you guys also got screwed by another Ottawa heavyweight in Melnyk. He simply danced on the puppet strings for Branch with the Majors and facilitated a lot of big money transactions to help the OHL out of a mess. His payoff was get your Majors setup and downtown Toronto fans be damned...you will get a Cup, at Windsor's expense. And the folks out in Saint John are still fuming about not landing the 2012 especially with the big corporations behind them ( McCains ) They were certain they had it locked up and most others also believed this.....but Chretian was still behind the curtain pulling strings and the Sea Dogs were stunned when it was announced going to Shawi. Yes it was a real blast driving 75 kms each way every day and twice on some days to Shawinigan from Trois Riviere since there is no rooms in that burg.

Dalla Costa writes very little about the Knight so I was surprised to see that Mem Cup article. He is not a big Hunter supporter but like to hand with the Lightning 7 days a week.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
aresknights

Quote:

The money I'm talking about is in regards to London making a lot of money and as a result has more money to pay off the league with to "win" the hosting gig. My point I was trying to get at is the league punished Windsor for using it's money advantage to treat some players better, and that is against the rules. But London can use their financial advantage over everybody else in the league to offer the league the most money to buy the hosting gig.

So the league is saying - You can't use a financial advantage you might have to treat players better/improve your team, but you can use your financial advantage when you're offering us money to win favor.
It's different cause one benefits a SINGLE team and the other benefits the WHOLE league. But I'll agree , players should get more. perks.

Windsor fans are also assuming London throws the most $ at the committee. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the other 2 do this instead. They almost have to, to equalize quality of bids. As London has the team, and as much experience hosting big events as the other 2 combined. The Bud staff, London organizers, volunteers have done a great job with numerous events, bigger than either Colts/ Spits have.

I agree with all here that more transparency would be good. Show us the bids and reasoning behind decisions, but as I said earlier they don't want the scrutiny.

Don't be surprised if someone offers up more cash than London. And if they don't, can't see any argument winning based on quality of bid, except they had it 9 yrs ago.
And if they do how do Spits fans react after all the complaining g on the cash topic?

Old
03-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Ottomatic

Spits tipped their hand a bit via the Star article today that one of their arguments explaining why missing the play-offs shouldn't be a bid killer is that they'd be in the play-offs in the East. Transfer their points over and they'd be 7th, but given the strength of schedule difference and it could be assumed they could have won 5+ more games, so could be 4th-5th best team in the East.

I guess you got to try it.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 03-09-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Actually, I think Kirke and Branch have voting member roles. They are stated as "Ex officio" members of the committee. That simply means that they have their seats on the committee as a result of their roles within the organization. It doesn't mean they can't vote. Looks like a repeat of the 2011 committee to me.
This is even worse than. Because if four out of the five members who awarded the bid to London in 2005 are still there. IIRC Barrie bid for that hosting gig as well - so if the previous hosting gig cannot be considered against London, their bid will be stronger this year, as they have experience running one, proof the city supports it and more money from it. So how can 4/5ths of the selection committee who awarded it to London in 2005 now find that Barrie's bid is better now when both competed for the 2005 gig and London won out?

What it comes down to for me is the selection committee are flat out liars if they give it to London this year. Mississauga was given the hosting gig in 2011 and we were told it was because the OHL wanted to try and use it to establish/build interest and fan base in GTA. Okay fine. If that is their reasoning, than there is zero reason why London should get it based on there is no lack of interest or fanbase in London.

Just come out and say it's all about the money.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
He has accomplished his goal. Kerby will be a first round pick. I did hear some of the rumours around the arena about Warren wanting out and going to NHL.

If true, I hope he realises that there is no unwritten agreement regarding the drafting of sons.
Actually come to think of it last year there was a brief discussion here about when Terry Doran was named assistant GM. I could be a full time role but if what you're hearing and another guy on here is hearing then naming Doran assistant GM makes sense. Next year being Kerby's last year either they win a Memorial Cup bid and go for it or maybe Rychel clears the deck and gives the next GM a lot of picks to work with by moving out the vets.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Actually come to think of it last year there was a brief discussion here about when Terry Doran was named assistant GM. I could be a full time role but if what you're hearing and another guy on here is hearing then naming Doran assistant GM makes sense. Next year being Kerby's last year either they win a Memorial Cup bid and go for it or maybe Rychel clears the deck and gives the next GM a lot of picks to work with by moving out the vets.
Maybe if the Colts win the bid WR will trade Kerby back to Barrie so that he can play in a Cup...

Old
03-09-2013, 11:40 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Spits tipped their hand a bit via the Star article today that one of their arguments explaining why missing the play-offs shouldn't be a bid killer is that they'd be in the play-offs in the East. Transfer their points over and they'd be 7th, but given the strength of schedule difference and it could be assumed they could have won 5+ more games, so could be 4th-5th best team in the East.

I guess you got to try it.
What's the Spits record vs the East this year? HL?
In theory I get it but with a different sched ya never know. The west is definitely tougher year after year.
I like Murphy's quote.'paraphrase- Only 4 teams miss the playoffs, if you miss there is a reason why, regardless of which conference you play in.

Last edited by aresknights: 03-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
In theory I get it but with a different sched ya never know. The west is definitely tougher year after year.
I like Murphy's quote.'paraphrase- it is what it is.
It was a mixed bag. Windsor lost to Kingston twice but swept Oshawa, went to 2 shootout's against Belleville, went to a shootout with Barrie, beat Brampton etc..

Old
03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Looks like 7-13, worse than it is agains the West. REGARDLESS...

Quote:
This argument isn't actually acurate because the OHL doesn't have conference based scheduling. It's based largely on geography. Mostly you play teams in the other conference twice, but, for example:

Barrie played Owen Sound 6 times.
Sudbury played SSM 6 times.
Niagara played Erie 5 times.
Mississauga played Owen Sound 3 times.

A strength of schedule argument could be made, but someone would actually have to compare the actual teams each team played, not just look at the conference they played in.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
KnightSpit

Windsor Off Seasons Plans

Quote:
Razor

I think those plans should have started weeks ago. If the major re tooling is not done, nothing will change. I think they need to send the message in training camp that every job is open and no one is safe, kinda like what Carlyle did with the Leafs. Hopefully there are some surprises at camp and even go after walk on's and give players who may not have been drafted a shot to show what they have. Just too complacent all around. But as bad as things are with the SPITS, it could be worse, just take a look at ERIE and they have a legitimate superstar in McDavid. I think Rychel will have a scorched earth policy this year, like what have you got to lose, only ERIE and OTTAWA are really worse ?

Old
03-09-2013, 01:28 PM
KnightSpit

Memorial Cup $$$$$$

Quote:
This is even worse than. Because if four out of the five members who awarded the bid to London in 2005 are still there. IIRC Barrie bid for that hosting gig as well - so if the previous hosting gig cannot be considered against London, their bid will be stronger this year, as they have experience running one, proof the city supports it and more money from it. So how can 4/5ths of the selection committee who awarded it to London in 2005 now find that Barrie's bid is better now when both competed for the 2005 gig and London won out?

What it comes down to for me is the selection committee are flat out liars if they give it to London this year. Mississauga was given the hosting gig in 2011 and we were told it was because the OHL wanted to try and use it to establish/build interest and fan base in GTA. Okay fine. If that is their reasoning, than there is zero reason why London should get it based on there is no lack of interest or fanbase in London.

Just come out and say it's all about the money.
Ottomatic
SHOW ME THE MONEY, no kidding and really that is what it is all about. London and a few other OHL teams have the strcuture, fan base, reputation and skill to run a frist class Memorial Cup, very few other O teams do and the O is more and more becoming the haves and have nots. Will I be glad if LONDON gets it, YES. Will it surprise me NO. I would like to see BARRIE get it though, think it would be good for the leauge, but ultimatley it is all about polictics and the all might dollar, not being cycnical just the truth. By the way do you think when LONDON wins the Memorial Cup this year that will have an impact on the selection committee ???

Old
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Ottomatic
SHOW ME THE MONEY, no kidding and really that is what it is all about. London and a few other OHL teams have the strcuture, fan base, reputation and skill to run a frist class Memorial Cup, very few other O teams do and the O is more and more becoming the haves and have nots. Will I be glad if LONDON gets it, YES. Will it surprise me NO. I would like to see BARRIE get it though, think it would be good for the leauge, but ultimatley it is all about polictics and the all might dollar, not being cycnical just the truth. By the way do you think when LONDON wins the Memorial Cup this year that will have an impact on the selection committee ???
It won't have an impact because they decide before the Memorial Cup is played (in fact before the OHL final is complete).

Old
03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Sec108

[QUOTE=aresknights;61298535] As London has the team, and as much experience hosting big events as the other 2 combined. The Bud staff, London organizers, volunteers have done a great job with numerous events, bigger than either Colts/ Spits have.

The reason why don't get the big events at the WFCU Center is #1 we have a large Caesars Casino on the riverfront that has a 5000 seat aud. in it that gets tons of entertainment and #2 we are right directly across from DeeeTroit a major metro area.

Hello??

Old
03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
The Bud staff, London organizers, volunteers have done a great job with numerous events, bigger than either Colts/ Spits have.
Gotta disagree here, sorry.

Windsor has hosted:

U17, Subway Series, All-Star game.

Which of those has London hosted?

Old
03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
aresknights

[QUOTE=Sec108;61324173]
Quote:
As London has the team, and as much experience hosting big events as the other 2 combined. The Bud staff, London organizers, volunteers have done a great job with numerous events, bigger than either Colts/ Spits have.

The reason why don't get the big events at the WFCU Center is #1 we have a large Caesars Casino on the riverfront that has a 5000 seat aud. in it that gets tons of entertainment and #2 we are right directly across from DeeeTroit a major metro area.

Hello??
Ya I get that, da lol.

How Many Canadian or world championships has Windsor as a city hosted?
I honestly don't know, but I see you in no way disagree with what I said. London has more volunteer experience with these type events.
Regardless of excuses.
Arena staff? Heck throw Caesars into the mix. I'm not
counting concerts in London but if you think it's a selling point in hosting Mem cup so be it. Bud Gardens.

And I see you only used part of my quote, and it's not in total context, but hey whatever

Re read my post. it wasnt a comparison between WFCU and the Bud only. It spoke to the community as a hole, but ya missed that

Old
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Hawks3

Spirit up 3 0 over Storm, we are almost done.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
Spirit up 3 0 over Storm, we are almost done.
As Tiger Williams used to say....'Done like dinner'.

Closed Thread