HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
fahad203

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
We're playing quite well without Gardiner. I understand that he's probably the second best D, but we need to be careful. Concussions are pretty serious.

I think he'd replace Gunnars who could be shipped off to acquire some who could anchor the shut down line. Grabovski could then play with Kessel. I don't we going to able to find someone like #1C like Eric Staal, Jeff Carter, or even Patrik Berglund ( Blues are weak at centre).

I just don't understand. What does concussion have to do anything?

If he's concussed or has symptoms he shouldn't even be playing in AHL, where he got the concussions from. AHL they hit hard, players are more reckless. If he has concussions, he should be resting at home.

If he's clear to play he can play. This has nothing to do with concussion. Do you think Carolina will send Jeff Skinner back to AHL for conditioning because he has concussions? or St.Louis Blues with Tarasenko?

Old
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Maybe Gardiner is ready but Carlyle doesn't want to drop something he's working on if he doesn't have to. Gardiner looks like he might have a good long career and hopefully a lot of it with Toronto. Missing a few regular season games early in his career probably won't stop that.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
CabanaBoy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
Maybe Gardiner is ready but Carlyle doesn't want to drop something he's working on if he doesn't have to. Gardiner looks like he might have a good long career and hopefully a lot of it with Toronto. Missing a few regular season games early in his career probably won't stop that.
Its not just missing a few games though, theyre now going to become very important games in the second half as we try to reach the playoffs, preferably as a 6 seed (our chances of beating Carolina are very good). I know that Carlyle likes the toughness that Holzer brings, but that defence has been a train wreck the past few games. They need a pmd reallllly bad.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Numbers game implies players with similar skill sets and abilities. Gardiner is way better and the fact that the Leafs are keeping inferior players in the line-up is a joke. I don't care what the excuse du jour is, fix it. Play the best line-up you have. If Gardiner is not in the plans because RC thinks that Holzer and Kostka provide a better skill set, either fire RC or trade Gardiner for someone that improves the line-up. I'm tired of watching B players
Nonis probably wants to wait closer to the dead line for a better return on the guys he wants to move. If he can.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Dwight K Schrute

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Carlyle on Holzer: 'He looked a little bit overwhelmed by the speed tonight'; cue the speculation about a potential Gardiner call-up

Old
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Carlyle basically told gardiner to get ready for the show. Byebye holzer

Old
03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Really hope gards is called up. I hope he plays like last year. You never know with a concussion.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

It's a no-brainer at this point, and long overdue.

Gardiner was a quality top-pair defenseman as a rookie last year.

Holzer might become a solid bottom pair dman with some experience.

It's really silly that we've been sabotaging ourselves by not playing our talent.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
I just don't understand. What does concussion have to do anything?

If he's concussed or has symptoms he shouldn't even be playing in AHL, where he got the concussions from. AHL they hit hard, players are more reckless. If he has concussions, he should be resting at home.
I think the point that he's trying to make, is that the team is doing everything in their power to ensure that they aren't rushing Gardiner back into the NHL.

They realize that he had a concussion, is symptom-free, and now playing at a high level in the A. But I think they want to give him as much time as possible down there to find his game, his timing, his conditioning, and everything else, before he makes the move up to the big team - because once he's up here, his contract dictates that he can't be sent back down without clearing waivers (so he's here to stay).

I'm OK with this - for far too long we've lacked the ability to be prudent with our young players. Kadri is a perfect example of what happens when you just be patient with them.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's a no-brainer at this point, and long overdue.

Gardiner was a quality top-pair defenseman as a rookie last year.

Holzer might become a solid bottom pair dman with some experience.

It's really silly that we've been sabotaging ourselves by not playing our talent.
This.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
If he doesn't get called up by next game, then I give up because I don't know if he will ever be called up.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Hockeylaw

If we don't call up Gardiner, let's at least swap out Kostka for Liles. His new contract is going to waste.

Kostka's a great story and all... but we could use a little more speed and talent on the back end. Having someone to quarterback the second PP unit would be nifty as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Ari91

I've said it before but I figured I might as well make it official in the official thread. We need Gardiner and unless he's having huge miscues in the AHL (which I'm pretty sure he isn't), then I don't see how we're doing ourselves a service by holding back one of our best offensive weapons on the back end. Gardiner may not be a physical beast back there, but his speed and hockey IQ helps him often helps him make up for what he lacks in the tough physical department. Our back end can use his pass out the zone...and his kind of talent is always nice to have on your powerplay.

Enough already Carlyle - bring the kid up.

And a little off tangent from that but everyone predicted that the Leafs would probably finish near the bottom again. Still plenty of hockey left to play but who really envisioned that this team had it in them to sit 5 in the conference without many drastic changes to the roster - and then think that we don't even need one hand to count the amount of games that we've played with our line up healthy.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Tak7

Whether or not Gardiner gets called up soon, will be dependent on how Carlyle views Holzer's struggles.

I'm not sure I get Holzer - big, rugged, but doesn't do anything spectacular and certainly isn't a top 4 Dman. He's really struggled the past few games, and against Pittsburgh was awful. He's had a real miserable week and a half on the ice.

The most logical thing to do, would be to send Holzer down and call Gardiner up.

However, we know how patient and loyal Randy is to a lot of his guys. Wouldn't surprise me if he gave Holzer another game or two to try and work through this funk.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:34 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Yes, can we please call up Gardiner already if only to shut up the posters from other teams who think he sucks because he's not in the NHL.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1371157&page=5

Old
03-09-2013, 11:41 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

don't worry, those are the same guy who said Kadri sucked.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

The mixing of the D is a great sign.

Prior to this game, the D looked to be in stone.

Atleast we are trying new things and seeing if they stick. Gards will be up soon. I look at the Marlies stats everytime they play; but always have to remind myself that it is a totally different game down there. Even Gardiner said it himself, something along the lines of "The AHL is a more difficult league to play in, because it doesn't flow like the NHL does" It really does make sense, for a high IQ dman....It would be harder to create plays. It's unreal comparing the 2, the NHL is by the book...90% of the time players can throw the puck to areas, without looking, and know a teammate will be there.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:50 AM
kihei

vCash: 4622
Time to let Holzer go back down and learn some more. His taste of the big show should be a great motivator, and he does have some potential. But Gardiner will be an improvement that the team needs to make.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Grapes03

I think they are waiting to move Gardiner too... Can't figure out who the center is... It could end up being the Mackinnon pick for all we know. If one of the 14 teams that is now lottery eligible has center depth but loses on Seth Jones wants to make a move...

Old
03-10-2013, 01:10 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
But to make room for him someone needs to be dealt or go through waivers amirite?
Holzer doesn't need waivers, but in reality losing he or Kostka isn't a loss at all.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:12 AM
TheMadHatTrick

Jake better start practicing playing right handed if he wants to get called up. Stubborn friggin Carlyle and his strong side prefference.

Can we just trade Gunnarson for his right handed equivalent already so we can send Kotska packing.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Jake better start practicing playing right handed if he wants to get called up. Stubborn friggin Carlyle and his strong side prefference.

Can we just trade Gunnarson for his right handed equivalent already so we can send Kotska packing.
I thought you wanted him traded with your trade proposal on the main board.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:31 AM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I thought you wanted him traded with your trade proposal on the main board.
What trade proposal? It was a valuation. I also inquired about the value of Morgan Rielly. Oh noos.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Beaninfritz

Gardiner's not playing for the leafs right now mostly due to roster issues. We already have 2 d-men sitting in the press box right now.

The guy got concussed, which basically screwed him out of a starting spot on the leafs roster. If he were to come in right now, at least one d-man would have to be traded off to make room for him. Also Carlyle and Eakins would have to agree that Gardiner's good to go. He's still young, and he still has things to work on.

We took time with bringing Kadri up, and it's worked out really well so far. Anyway you slice it, the Leafs are dramatically better than they were last season, despite Gardiner not being in the lineup.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:09 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio
Great stuff from @DarrenDreger says he doesn't think Randy Carlyle s the biggest fan of Jake Gardiner. Explains why he's not on the team

Anyone else catch this? Would explain a lot.
Leafs are winning at the moment so why mess with the lineup?

Gardiner is a good talent that won't be in the AHL for very long. He'll be back up with the Leafs as soon as they can move some bodies out (Komisarek, Liles) or someone comes calling with a deal that Nonis can't refuse.

Closed Thread