HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com: NHLPA Approves Realignment

Old
03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
me too

the 16 vs 14 thing bothers me... are they thinking expansion?
I wish they weren't, but it looks that way.

Relocation would probably fix some things too, but I haven't really looked at the scenarios.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I wish they weren't, but it looks that way.

Relocation would probably fix some things too, but I haven't really looked at the scenarios.
at first I thought relocation... but what team from the east? the Panthers are the only potential relocation from the east... and they have a nice financial situation right?

so... 2 expansion teams in the west.... one in Seattle and one in Quebec City.... but then where does Phoenix move?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
at first I thought relocation... but what team from the east? the Panthers are the only potential relocation from the east... and they have a nice financial situation right?

so... 2 expansion teams in the west.... one in Seattle and one in Quebec City.... but then where does Phoenix move?
Quebec is further east than Buffalo...

Putting them in the west would be a colossal blunder.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Quebec is further east than Buffalo...

Putting them in the west would be a colossal blunder.
good point... oops

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
good point... oops
I think a Toronto second team would work in that role, though, simply because the NHL/NHLPA/Whoever could say, "Hey, you want a second team? Fine. The Maple Leafs don't want to battle you on an every day basis, and if you're in a separate conference, people can become fans of both teams. So, if you're going to get a second franchise, it's on a western schedule and in the western conference."

Old
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Sabresfansince1980

There really isn't one best way to divy up the East. You have to smudge geography or traditional rivalries one way or the other. To even out the teams in both conferences I'd rather just eliminate two teams and re-work it, but since that won't happen we might have to hope a reasonable expansion occurs, because any way you slice it 30 teams in four divisions doesn't add up.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
jfb392

Quote:

I think moving Phoenix fixes things:

West -
Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado (in place of Phoenix), Edmonton, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver (7 teams)
Midwest: Chicago, Columbus (moved from East-Atlantic), Detroit (moved from East-Central), Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg (8 teams)
15 teams total

East -
Central: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montréal, Ottawa, Québec (relocated from Phoenix), Tampa Bay, Toronto (8 teams)
Atlantic: Carolina, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington (7 teams)

If you add teams via expansion in Seattle and Toronto, you'd likely just move one of the Florida teams from the Central to the Atlantic and just plug Seattle into the Pacific.

While it doesn't solve the problem of Columbus or Detroit wanting to be in the East, it does keep classic rivalries alive (Chicago vs. Detroit) and the divisional playoff format would lessen the chance of playoff games in the Pacific Time Zone (I believe that was Detroit's main gripe).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
FoSotC

Not looking too good for Eastern expansion/relocation at this point. I can't imagine they'd tease Detroit/Columbus with relocation to the east after they were wanting it for so long, only to rip that away from them a few seasons later and place them back West. Still pulling for Quebec City, though.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think moving Phoenix fixes things
If you add teams via expansion in Seattle and Toronto, you'd likely just move one of the Florida teams from the Central to the Atlantic and just plug Seattle into the Pacific.
I'd rather see the Florida teams move to the other Eastern Conference division along with Detroit going back west to make room for Québec and Markham. Carolina can then be the odd man out to come to our division and make things even.

West
Division A: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Division B: Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Winnipeg and Colorado could switch between these two, I just figured the Jets might prefer be with the rest of the Canadian teams out west.

East
Division C: Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Markham, Montreal, Ottawa, Québec, Toronto
Division D: Florida, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
JPurp26

Not a fan of uneven conferences, are they really going to try and go to 32 teams to have 4 divisions in the future of 8 teams? What happens if phoneix does move to Quebec?

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
The unbalanced conferences are flat out awful.

Then again, the league administration has always been a joke, so at least they're consistent.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Not a fan of uneven conferences, are they really going to try and go to 32 teams to have 4 divisions in the future of 8 teams? What happens if phoneix does move to Quebec?
Then they adapt. Atlanta moved to Winnipeg and the world didn't end.

Toronto was in the Western conference for years. Only moving to the East in 97-98. Back then fans were flipping out because the would no longer be in the same division as the Hawks and Wings.

I'm fairly confident everything will be fine down the road.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I find that odd, too.

Apparently, as rumor has it... Florida and Tampa wanted to be with the Canadian teams because they book vacations in Florida when they play those teams, so it helps with attendance.

My thought process is that a team can't be too financially feasible if you have to rely on another cities fans to come down to help your bottom line.

Florida and Tampa belong in the Atlantic.
Every game a sell out in Florida when Leafs/Habs play. That's six out of 41 right there -- plus they jack up prices. Sabres draw good crowds too. Don't know about Detroit, Ottawa, Boston but my guess is way better than Nashville

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:41 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Then they adapt. Atlanta moved to Winnipeg and the world didn't end.

Toronto was in the Western conference for years. Only moving to the East in 97-98. Back then fans were flipping out because the would no longer be in the same division as the Hawks and Wings.

I'm fairly confident everything will be fine down the road.
Exactly, no matter what they do somebody is going to throw a temper tantrum over it. I'm just looking forward to having some new to talk about. In 3-4 years this will be normal and nobody will really care.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Exactly, no matter what they do somebody is going to throw a temper tantrum over it. I'm just looking forward to having some new to talk about. In 3-4 years this will be normal and nobody will really care.
It will be normal, but just like the NHL giving out different amount of points depending on when the game ends, it will continue to be a joke that 50% of the team's make the playoffs in one conference, and 57% will make the playoffs in the other.

Even baseball went to two 15 team leagues this year, and they had to further break years of tradition with constant interleague (rather than sectioned off portions of the schedule) to do it.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
It will be normal, but just like the NHL giving out different amount of points depending on when the game ends, it will continue to be a joke that 50% of the team's make the playoffs in one conference, and 57% will make the playoffs in the other.

Even baseball went to two 15 team leagues this year, and they had to further break years of tradition with constant interleague (rather than sectioned off portions of the schedule) to do it.
Not really, 7% isn't a large enough difference to be upset about. I honestly couldn't care less, since I think it's already too easy to make the playoffs in the NHL anyways.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Not really, 7% isn't a large enough difference to be upset about. I honestly couldn't care less, since I think it's already too easy to make the playoffs in the NHL anyways.
In a league where revenue partially depends on whether you make the playoffs or not, it is not fair that one conference has a higher percentage of teams make the playoffs than the other. Period.

(BTW, I would be saying this if the East only had 14 teams while the West had 16 as well)

Old
03-09-2013, 01:28 PM
McTank

I would hope they plan on expanding to 32 teams or this makes no sense

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
In a league where revenue partially depends on whether you make the playoffs or not, it is not fair that one conference has a higher percentage of teams make the playoffs than the other. Period.

(BTW, I would be saying this if the East only had 14 teams while the West had 16 as well)
I was listening to Elliot Friedman yesterday and he said that the way they are justifying it is because of the huge extra expense travel is for the Western teams.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I was listening to Elliot Friedman yesterday and he said that the way they are justifying it is because of the huge extra expense travel is for the Western teams.
Wy not just keep detroit in the west. Each conference has a 7 team division.
Then you have wild cards so it truly doesn't matter if you are in the 7 team division

Top 4 seeds go to the top 2 from each division no matter what. The bottom four is all based on points. Am I missing something here?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:19 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Then you have wild cards so it truly doesn't matter if you are in the 7 team division

Top 4 seeds go to the top 2 from each division no matter what. The bottom four is all based on points. Am I missing something here?
I don't see what was so wrong with the 4 conference plan they initially proposed, where the 5th place team in an 8 team conference could replace a 4th place team in one of the 7 team conferences if their record was better.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

Because Detroit is in the east geographically. They've gotten a raw deal for years on travel/timing of games, etc.

They need to be a part of the Eastern Conference.

One way to make it more "fair" is to simply get rid two major conferences/four divisions. Why not make it four conferences? Top 16 teams make the playoffs, top two per division are in automatic.

Seed based on points. 1v16, 2v15,3v14,4v13,5v12,6v11,7v10,8v9

I think that makes it infinitely more fair

OR

You keep this set up for scheduling/regular season purposes. More games vs. division and conference.

Then still do the playoffs like I said above.

There's still a little bit of unbalance, but there will be until there's 32 teams.

Last edited by RattleYourSabre: 03-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Realignment plan approved by Board of Governors:
Quote:
The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for the divisional championship.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.
Quote:
The new alignment ensures that all 30 teams play in all 30 arenas at least once per season.

The National Hockey League Players' Association has given its consent to play under the new Alignment and Playoff System for a minimum of three seasons, through the 2015-16 NHL season.
Quote:
Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote