Poor crowds

Old
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
There was no ad hominem either. Rough day, huh?

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't responding to your argument with my original comment. And as you simultaneously point out and miss, a person determines his own criteria for entertainment. If someone thinks that to be entertaining a team must be the best at everything, then that's true.

Unless you can point to a post where Dirk accuses people of lying about being entertained?
Ah. Then the comment about me checking box scores, when I wasn't checking box scores, was actually pertinent in some manner as to the actual discussion and not an irrelevant commentary on me rather than my argument. My mistake.

Well, if there can indeed be a binary situation like that, why were you complaining about a false dilemma in the first place? I know people who don't like a lot of hitting/fighting in hockey, so your initial post indicating hockey IS more exciting with it is just as incorrect as the position that you were responding to.

I'm done. Go snark at someone else.

If anyone else would actually like to answer my question as to why the team isn't entertaining, I'm still honestly waiting for an answer.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

The Samuelis should obviously just sell the team to an owner in a northern market, like Fullerton.

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
AnaheimGuy
Couch GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The ice probably played a role there. It looked awful.
I would say it played a big role. San Jose's ice looks premium compared to Phoenix's

AnaheimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Ah. Then the comment about me checking box scores, when I wasn't checking box scores, was actually pertinent in some manner as to the actual discussion and not an irrelevant commentary on me rather than my argument. My mistake.
Yep.

To the topic, people found things to ***** about during the 06-07 season, too. I haven't read the Blackhawks boards, but I imagine they're not perfectly satisfied as a group. That's just how this work.

If we win the Cup, the season won't really seem like a dominant one until after hindsight kicks in.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
snowave

Ok, my last post on the subject...

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I say this team is sometimes boring to watch, it has very little do with winning or how well they are doing in the standings. I know some of you can't separate those things, or even entertain (pun intended) the idea that a team that's near the top of the league is boring to watch...

But, it's really that simple- for me at least. I just have certain criteria as to what I consider 'exciting' hockey (which I've already stated what that is). It doesn't mean I'm pissed they're winning or think they'd be better or worse with a different style, or hate this team.

My "argument" is ONLY that when I'm sitting on the couch for 3 hrs, (while I'm happy about the wins) I'm often not very excited/entertained with the STYLE of hockey they are putting on the ice. Winning is great, and sure... for most that's what it's all about in the end... I just wish it was more fun for me to watch. Sorry if some of you just don't understand/accept that.

for what it's worth, GO DUCKS!

Last edited by snowave: 03-08-2013 at 12:03 PM.
snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
here's the current attendance numbers for this season so far... Ducks are 25/30.. it still sucks, but at this point, better than the last couple I think at this point.

And sorry, no... I don't blame it on the economy. The whole country is in the tank right now..people will spend their money where they want, and hockey isn't generally where they are spending it in Anaheim.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
Quote:
That's what I've been saying,too... along with my wife (relatively new hockey fan), and a few hockey friends.. this team is boring as hell to watch this year. Part of the game is missing, if you ask me. And no, I'm not talking about just fighting...
Quote:
I will always be a Ducks fan.. but that doesn't mean I have to be a puppet and pretend this is exciting hockey, just because they are my favorite team and winning. Winning is not everything to me in this sport. I love the sport of hockey, and ALL aspects of it.

I will likely still record and watch every game.. I just may hit the FF button a few more times.
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, my last post on the subject...

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I say this team is sometimes boring to watch, it has very little do with winning or how well they are doing in the standings. I know some of you can't separate those things, or even entertain (pun intended) the idea that a team that's near the top of the league is boring to watch...

But, it's really that simple- for me at least. I just have certain criteria as to what I consider 'exciting' hockey (which I've already stated what that is). It doesn't mean I'm pissed they're winning or think they'd be better or worse with a different style, or hate this team.

My "argument" is ONLY that when I'm sitting on the couch for 3 hrs, (while I'm happy about the wins) I'm often not very excited/entertained with the STYLE of hockey they are putting on the ice. Winning is great, and sure... for most that's what it's all about in the end... I just wish it was more fun for me to watch. Sorry if some of you just don't understand/accept that.

for what it's worth, GO DUCKS!
I'm honestly not trying to troll you, but these are all your posts in the thread, and you haven't actually stated once exactly WHAT you want for an exciting game. Do you ONLY need hitting? Or is it abrasive play? Or gooning? Will you trade goal scoring/winning for that physicality? Is it the defensive system being played? Do they have to be a top 5 physical team instead of a top 1/2 physical team like they are? Is it that they are NOT exciting to you, or just not as exciting as they could be? I'm honestly just curious about opinions, I wish Dirk would pop back in and address my actual points as well.

I think everyone can admit that the Cup team was extremely entertaining because they were highly skilled WITH physicality and WITH gooning. Those teams are very rare.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
snowave

I think I posted what I like a little more in another thread where the "boring hockey" came up.

Anyway....

Yes, I like physical play, I like fights.. multi dimensional players .. teams that stick up for their players more... and yes, I like scoring, good passing, too.

I don't like defensive trap hockey , dump and chase stye when it's not working... and defensemen that don't clear the crease.I like big, stronger defensemen.

I'm not saying the Ducks don't ever display this type of hockey or meet any of these things I listed.. or... that their style of hockey isn't sucessful in the standings... but overall, again... there's enough of it to be very noticeable to myself, my wife and a couple of my non-forum hockey friends.. as well as a few people on these forums. So.... take it for what it's worth.. which again, is what eash of us individually consider entertaining or boring.

Last edited by snowave: 03-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Navyducks8

Quote:
I think I posted what I like a little more in another thread where the "boring hockey" came up.

Anyway....

Yes, I like physical play, I like fights.. multi dimensional players .. teams that stick up for their players more... and yes, I like scoring, good passing, too.

I don't like defensive trap hockey , dump and chase stye when it's not working... and defensemen that don't clear the crease.I like big, stronger defensemen.

I'm not saying the Ducks don't ever display this type of hockey or meet any of these things I listed.. or... that their style of hockey isn't sucessful in the standings... but overall, again... there's enough of it to be very noticeable to myself, my wife and a couple of my non-forum hockey friends.. as well as a few people on these forums. So.... take it for what it's worth.. which again, is what eash of us individually consider entertaining or boring.
what teams do u consider exciting and boring? just curious i find all games exciting have nhl game center and watch every game pretty much and havent been bored to fall asleep yet and im on the east coast staying up till 1 or 2 to watch games when i get up at 5 most days

Navyducks8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
snowave

I've always like the Blues.. partly because I grew up there and is where I really got into Hockey... but even so, they play a gritty style most of the time. This year, not as much as the last few, so far at least.

It pains me to say it, but LA plays a pretty exciting game these days... although, I can't stand Bob Miller and Jim Fox anymore... Usually can't go wrong with Philly or Boston... Vancouver and Chicago are often a good bet.

However, most the time, I am pretty busy in the evenings with the lady... so I have to prioritize who I watch... and the Ducks and their opponent are obviously the first choice. We do have Center Ice this year, but mainly because we no longer live in Socal and it's our only option to get Ducks games.

Sounds like you live and breathe hockey...know alot more about the teams... good for you. I just don't have the time.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
I've always like the Blues.. partly because I grew up there and is where I really got into Hockey... but even so, they play a gritty style most of the time. This year, not as much as the last few, so far at least.

It pains me to say it, but LA plays a pretty exciting game these days... although, I can't stand Bob Miller and Jim Fox anymore... Usually can't go wrong with Philly or Boston... Vancouver and Chicago are often a good bet.

However, most the time, I am pretty busy in the evenings with the lady... so I have to prioritize who I watch... and the Ducks and their opponent are obviously the first choice. We do have Center Ice this year, but mainly because we no longer live in Socal and it's our only option to get Ducks games.

Sounds like you live and breathe hockey...know alot more about the teams... good for you. I just don't have the time.
I don't know how you find LA exciting. They're physical sure but in a very defensive minded grind opponents down kind of way. I do not enjoy watching kings games at all - last years finals were terrible.

Vancouver and Chicago are great to watch - I agree there. The Eastern conference in general is pretty good (much better than the western conference overall) - I love watching Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, Toronto and a few other teams.

Personally I'm a fan of high tempo, physical teams who aren't afraid to take chances offensively. I'm not going to complain about the current Anaheim team because they're scoring goals & winning games which I enjoy. I think they could stand to be more physical (up front at least) but I would rather watch a winning team that's average physically than a losing team that goons it up every game. I think we were spoiled by the 2006-07 team a little bit.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Dirk316

Toronto is the most exciting team in the league right now they are also the toughest.
My problem is the ducks have now become the type team you healthy scratch your enforcer when playing against. Anyone who's watched the games know this is not a tough team despite what the hit starts show they do not scare anyone and the rivalries that actually are needed to boost attendance ate not there as a result
And what mod blocked me from posting in the team toughness thread wtf

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:49 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Healthy crowd tonight with at least a 9 to 1 Duck to Flame fan ratio. Free t shirt night might have boosted the numbers a bit though.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
snowave

I heard it was around 15k or so (paid)... not terrible, but again... friday night game, 16-3 team.. I really thought it would be closer to a sellout (17.1k).

I know, I know.. Calgary doesn't draw well or something... and I'm sure the 7:30 start time messed with people's heads.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Navyducks8

Quote:

your right i do live and breathe hockey i too also dont live in socal which is why i have it. went to td garden for boston vs lightning last weekend it wasnt as filled as i thought and even some of the fans i sat next to were surprised it wasnt more filled up.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:47 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

It was 15,839 last night

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Eddie Shack

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong (the line forms on the left) but didn't the Ducks implement tiered pricing this year? Friday night games cost more than weeknight? So if the opponent isn't exciting and tickets cost more, the casual fan may say, no thanks.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Navyducks8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong (the line forms on the left) but didn't the Ducks implement tiered pricing this year? Friday night games cost more than weeknight? So if the opponent isn't exciting and tickets cost more, the casual fan may say, no thanks.
i believe it is based on the team they play like detrioit, kings, sharks cost more

Old
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Dirk316

Angels Kings Dodgers Lakers and now that the clippers changed their style to exciting athletic all draw extremely well. The economy excuse doesn't fly

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
I think fans availability is also to consider. If its a Friday night ticket prices will cost more due to the weekend. And i think weekend prices are more expensive as well? Compared to weekdays?

I'm not entirely sure since I pitch in on season tickets with friends. I don't pay for single games.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I think fans availability is also to consider. If its a Friday night ticket prices will cost more due to the weekend. And i think weekend prices are more expensive as well? Compared to weekdays?

I'm not entirely sure since I pitch in on season tickets with friends. I don't pay for single games.

Did you even read what you quoted?

Old
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
MMonarchs

Quote:
I know, I know.. Calgary doesn't draw well or something... and I'm sure the 7:30 start time messed with people's heads.
It was the >20% chance of showers.

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
MMonarchs

Quote:
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=75739

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMonarchs View Post
OK, my head still hurts trying to analyze that matrix. Maybe they're too smart by half with all their hi tech software.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
snowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMonarchs View Post
It was the >20% chance of showers.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Game was sold out tonight against St. Louis!

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote