Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Heyoooo*

vCash: 500
Its smarter to be where the other teams are.

There are 5 AHL teams in NY, Utica makes it 6.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Wow. Well I'm sold. I doubt it would happen though. I think the Heat and Abby have a cushy long term contract and basically the Heat have no real motivation to leave.
Good

cause I appreciate watching pro hockey in my home town

if the canucks had the heat, I would never go to a game, and I never plan on going to any "Abbotsford Canuck" games

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Utica seems almost too far to the east. Didn't the Flames move to Abbotsford because of the proximity to Calgary?

If the Flames are going to move their AHL affiliate I wonder if they would be happier in a place like Kansas City. They have a CHL franchise there but there must be a way to upgrade that to the AHL. The Mavs are building a real presence in the city and hockey is on the radar because of youth organizations like the Junior Mavs, Russell Stover, etc.
I'm not going to say Utica is the answer, because who actually knows. But I just know it makes more sense for the Heat to get out of Abbotsford and go further east.

But the difference in flights between KC and and Utica to Calgary are about 90 minutes (4hr from Utica, 2.5 from KC), so the difference between the midwest and the northeast is pretty minimal.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:40 PM
haldrich1

new news

just came across this on twitter, the local news is going to report on it at 6pm
maybe there is some truth after all

Andrew Donovan ‏@AndrewDonovan

Officials tell @WKTV that nothing is finalized in attempt to bring AHL team to Utica, but project is indeed underway.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDonovan

haldrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Wow. Well I'm sold. I doubt it would happen though. I think the Heat and Abby have a cushy long term contract and basically the Heat have no real motivation to leave.
The city of Abbotsford would want out of the deal (if the canucks farm team moves there) since they have to guarantee certain revenues to the Flames, and they likely wouldn't have to worry about it if the Canucks were there.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Utica is a black hole of hockey teams. You all have my sympathy.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post
Utica is a black hole of hockey teams. You all have my sympathy.
Can't be any worse than having our farm team in Vancouver. Seriously no one wants to watch the farm team of a rival it makes no sense.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Heyoooo*

https://www.facebook.com/UticaFlamesFanClub

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:08 AM
DrHamburg

Hey, I also live near Utica. People are getting pretty excited about it. A lot of news sites are reporting its official. How will we know for sure?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
We just traded you guys Mike Testwuide for Mitch Wahl. Anyone here see him or know anything they want to share? His ECHL numbers look good, but he hasn't played many AHL games. How did he end up in Hamilton last year?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:56 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
We just traded you guys Mike Testwuide for Mitch Wahl. Anyone here see him or know anything they want to share? His ECHL numbers look good, but he hasn't played many AHL games. How did he end up in Hamilton last year?
He ended up in Hamilton because he wanted a shot in the AHL. The Flames felt he was not ready to contribute to the Heat full time since he was coming off a concussion that had kept him off the ice for over a year. Unfortunately after he returned from Hamilton he was not eligible to play for Abbotsford (due to the loan) and has since stayed in Utah for the most part.

He actually challenged for a spot on our NHL team prior to his injury, and had a very good start to his AHL career but the concussion seemingly changed him as a player. Maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs, but at this point I think the best you could hope for would be a productive AHL player.

If I were to speculate, I am sure he requested a trade at some point due to his circumstances within our organization.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally had a lot of promise after being drafted in the second round. Suffered a concussion in his first year in the AHL, which was a major setback and caused him to miss almost a full season. When he came back, he started in the ECHL for a bit and looked good but struggled in the AHL and was relegated to the press box or the 4th line when dressed. At one point, the Heat had too many bodies, so they loaned Wahl out to Hamilton for a chance to get some ice time. After coming back, he was no longer eligible to play for the Heat, and so spent the rest of the season in the ECHL.

Wahl and Troy Ward, the Heat's coach, didn't see eye to eye with regards to opportunity and the system played (it's too defensive). So this season, he once again starts in the ECHL and does well. Gets called up after the Heat lose bodies to the Flames and to injuries and by all accounts looks good offensively. Still left in the bottom six however even though the teams struggling to score goals. It's clear Ward's not a fan, so the writing was on the wall.

He's not the same player since the concussion - he's much more cautious and plays more to the perimeter. Still, he's young and with a better developmental system, he might be able to regain his form and live up to that 2nd line centre potential.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Can't be any worse than having our farm team in Vancouver. Seriously no one wants to watch the farm team of a rival it makes no sense.
I do :B

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Mitch Wahl is a really talented guy but he suffered a big concussion last a couple years ago and is just finding his game again, I think you guys won the minor league swap.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Rocko604

Can someone tells me who owns the Heat? I've been under the impression the Flames do, but have also been told it's 100% owned by a local group. Thanks.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Can someone tells me who owns the Heat? I've been under the impression the Flames do, but have also been told it's 100% owned by a local group. Thanks.
The Flames own the Heat

Old
03-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Adirondack Flames

Barry Brust is garbage right now. Since Taylor was signed he has allowed 30 goals in 8 games, his save percentage is only .863 and has allowed fewer than 3 goals only twice.

Irving has only appeared in 3 games since being sent down but he is 1-1-1 with a .926 save percentage and a GAA just under 2.00

Old
03-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Barry Brust is garbage right now. Since Taylor was signed he has allowed 30 goals in 8 games, his save percentage is only .863 and has allowed fewer than 3 goals only twice.

Irving has only appeared in 3 games since being sent down but he is 1-1-1 with a .926 save percentage and a GAA just under 2.00
Wow, Brust went from Hero to Zero quite rapidly.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:

Call up Irving?

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Call up Irving?
I'm not suggesting that right now. Simply giving some number and maybe suggesting Brust should be playing less since he is looking like part of the problem and not the solution for the Heat currently. I would like to see Irving get he reigns now.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that right now. Simply giving some number and maybe suggesting Brust should be playing less since he is looking like part of the problem and not the solution for the Heat currently. I would like to see Irving get he reigns now.
I'd like to see Irving just develop. He's a young kid, so I don't see why he isn't getting starts

Old
03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I would like to see Irving develop and show the Flames management what a mistake it is that it looks like they are giving up on him.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
I'd like to see Irving just develop. He's a young kid, so I don't see why he isn't getting starts
he's started 3 of 5 since he returned and got over the flu. Seems like Ward is hesitant to give either both starts in back to back games.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
he's started 3 of 5 since he returned and got over the flu. Seems like Ward is hesitant to give either both starts in back to back games.
Didn't know he had the flu. Hopefully he can get in more games. I'm really fond of Irving (if no one could tell), and I'm really hoping he doesn't just get cast aside because it was a sutter pick. He seems like a genuine kid who will work hard

Old
03-09-2013, 01:45 PM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Wow, Brust went from Hero to Zero quite rapidly.
As did Irving lastnight. Taylor had to take over after Irving gave up 2 goals on 4 shots.
Taylor probably starts tonight, but it will be interesting to see if Irving or Brust get the start on Sunday.

This is just a bad team the last 3 months. How the hell did they lead the league at one point?

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote